XFL

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Otown88
New to the Neighborhood

XFL

Post by Otown88 »

Vince McMahon has announced that he is bringing back the XFL football league in 2020 with 8 new teams in large and medium size cities. Whats the Chances Omaha scores a team and or do we want one?
nebugeater
City Council

Re: XFL

Post by nebugeater »

The challenge with Omaha is a place to play. TDA works but it is far from ideal. I think that can go against the chances. I have nor read any of the details yet either but it will also depend on what time of the year they play.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Otown88 wrote:Vince McMahon has announced that he is bringing back the XFL football league in 2020 with 8 new teams in large and medium size cities. Whats the Chances Omaha scores a team and or do we want one?
From what I understand it is Des Moines' turn. And why not? DSM has minor league basketball, baseball and hockey. I would take the USL soccer over the football though. I hope Green can deliver.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

An XFL team could use Ralston Arena and maybe throw that money pit a few bones.
Jim Flowers rules!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Another short term football league in Omaha? No thanks.

Give me USL, with an affiliation with Minnesota's new MLS team...or another shot at AHL that isn't run poorly.
No posts exist for this topic
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

MadMartin8 wrote:Another short term football league in Omaha? No thanks.

Give me USL, with an affiliation with Minnesota's new MLS team...or another shot at AHL that isn't run poorly.
Soccer is a money loser. Semi pro hockey will have too many weeknight games to make money in a family town. Tuesdays are CU Bball nights, Wednesdays are church nights. Mondays and Thursdays are school nights. Fridays and Saturdays are college hockey and date nights. They will struggle here just like the last team did.

Honestly, none of the above seems more appealing.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

bigredmed1 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Another short term football league in Omaha? No thanks.

Soccer is a money loser. Semi pro hockey will have too many weeknight games to make money in a family town. Tuesdays are CU Bball nights, Wednesdays are church nights. Mondays and Thursdays are school nights. Fridays and Saturdays are college hockey and date nights. They will struggle here just like the last team did.

Honestly, none of the above seems more appealing.
"Soccer is a money loser" - It isn't my money that is being lost, not sure I will care too much. A lot....of Minor league teams lose money anyways in various leagues. I will go to the games, and I would enjoy them.

"Semi Pro hockey will have too many weeknight games to make money in a family town" - What town isn't a family town by chance? Just curious.

Edit:

Let me be clear. My point is, if there is a minor league team in town, I'd rather it be one of the above leagues. Not a new football league. If they don't last long, I'll still enjoy it more than I would the "XFL".
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

Offtopic from XFL but a USL team would do quite well in Omaha. Creighton especially, but also UNO do well for NCAA soccer attendance and the club soccer scene is huge in Omaha. Additionally the USL plays in the summer when their only competition would be the Royals and 2 weeks of the CWS. I would love to see a lower division soccer team in Omaha, especially they can play in Morrison.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

10 game season starting in Late Jan or early Feb. Not happening at TDA with CU baseball starting in March and the filed being protected for a June CWS
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:10 game season starting in Late Jan or early Feb. Not happening at TDA with CU baseball starting in March and the filed being protected for a June CWS

Starting in Late January? Wow.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:10 game season starting in Late Jan or early Feb. Not happening at TDA with CU baseball starting in March and the filed being protected for a June CWS

That is what I read in a couple reports this AM. Guessing most of the teams will be Southern / west coast based.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

That is what I read in a couple reports this AM. Guessing most of the teams will be Southern / west coast based.
Wouldn't surprise me. I am trying to remember where the original XFL teams were, I think it followed that pattern too?

Edit: nevermind, Chicago, New York, and Memphis had teams in the original XFL. The rest were warm climate though.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me. I am trying to remember where the original XFL teams were, I think it followed that pattern too?

Edit: nevermind, Chicago, New York, and Memphis had teams in the original XFL. The rest were warm climate though.
Also looks like an eight team league to start with.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

The original XFL played their first game on February 3 2001 in Las Vegas.

Without being able to play at TD Ameritrade, I don’t think Omaha will get a team, and they can’t play there in the spring.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

It sounds like this will be more of a January-February league, so TD might be available, but it'd awful cold and possibly unsafe.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

10 Possible Cities for XFL Teams in 2020
Eight new teams will be announced in 2019, and all teams will remain under McMahon’s ownership. With the possibility of eight new football franchises in the country’s future, here are 10 possible cities for XFL teams in 2020.

10. Las Vegas, NV
9. San Diego, CA
8. Columbus, OH
7. St. Louis, MO
6. Birmingham, AL
5. Chicago, IL
4. New York, NY
3. Oklahoma City, OK
2. Portland, OR
1. San Antonio, TX

Honorable Mentions:
Boston, MA
Orlando, FL
Salt Lake City, UT
[youtube][/youtube]
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Considering Trump's feud with the NFL over the National Anthem, and his ties to the McMahons (Linda McMahon is the Administrator for the Small Business Administration), part of me believes this is all a political stunt.

XFL version 1.0 was a money loser. Trump was also an investor in the failed USFL. I don't understand why either would try to make something work financially again.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They just shut down, and let go all employees. Sounds permanent.
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

XFL viewership in Week 4 (four games across ABC, Fox, ESPN2, FS1) was down 14% from Week 3

Week 1: 3.12 million
Week 2: 2.05 million
Week 3: 1.61 million
Week 4: 1.38 million
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

S.O.Boy wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 pm XFL viewership in Week 4 (four games across ABC, Fox, ESPN2, FS1) was down 14% from Week 3

Week 1: 3.12 million
Week 2: 2.05 million
Week 3: 1.61 million
Week 4: 1.38 million
That usually happens with these leagues. I can't see a minor league football league ever making it.

Greg
S.O.Boy
Human Relations

Post by S.O.Boy »

omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

This was such a bad idea. I can't believe these minor league football leagues keep happening. I guess a fool and his money are easily parted.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

omaha79 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:56 am This was such a bad idea. I can't believe these minor league football leagues keep happening. I guess a fool and his money are easily parted.

Yeah it is amazing they keep trying. Every attempt has lost millions. If there was a viable way to make a national pro minor league football work, the NFL would do it (and they tried with the World League years ago). With the CTE issue, the liabilities I believe will prevent the NFL from ever going down this road.

Greg
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Greg S wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:19 am
omaha79 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:56 am This was such a bad idea. I can't believe these minor league football leagues keep happening. I guess a fool and his money are easily parted.

Yeah it is amazing they keep trying. Every attempt has lost millions. If there was a viable way to make a national pro minor league football work, the NFL would do it (and they tried with the World League years ago). With the CTE issue, the liabilities I believe will prevent the NFL from ever going down this road.

Greg
Especially with the number of players who are not quite good enough to play in the NFL either due to talent, strength, or age/injuries filling the minor leagues. If the product isn't there, then people don't watch. Even last season in the XFL, you saw 2-3 teams dominate the league and 2-3 teams just get steam rollered. Not a fun TV experience, and hard to build a local live fan base.

Overall, football is fading as a sport. People aren't letting their kids play. Even in rural Nebraska, there are schools with more boys on the cross country team than on the football team. More kids are in the state playoffs for trap shooting every year and with good coaching and ear protection, you can get into a sport that most people see as manly (even though women excel at it as well), and your kid won't get CTE or blow out their knees.

Going to see a time when the gladiatorial aspect of the sport makes one wonder if they are a bad person for tuning in. That you won't let your kid play the game because its too dangerous, but you are perfectly happy to watch someone else's kid trash their lives for your entertainment. Once that sentiment gets common in the population, even the NFL is at risk.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:42 am

Overall, football is fading as a sport. People aren't letting their kids play. Even in rural Nebraska, there are schools with more boys on the cross country team than on the football team. More kids are in the state playoffs for trap shooting every year and with good coaching and ear protection, you can get into a sport that most people see as manly (even though women excel at it as well), and your kid won't get CTE or blow out their knees.

Going to see a time when the gladiatorial aspect of the sport makes one wonder if they are a bad person for tuning in. That you won't let your kid play the game because its too dangerous, but you are perfectly happy to watch someone else's kid trash their lives for your entertainment. Once that sentiment gets common in the population, even the NFL is at risk.
This is such an unpopular opinion in this state, but I do agree with it to an extent. I enjoy watching football, but I don't live it or breathe it anymore like some do. I also see the shortcomings in the sport that some choose to ignore. I focus more on baseball, hockey (which has its own issues with CTE), and soccer. Those sports are seen as almost counterculture to my friends and co-workers, and I often take some flack for liking different sports and not being totally on board with all things football.

But, I do see a time where football isn't the king that it is now as the new generation grows up playing it less and being pushed towards different sports like soccer, basketball, baseball, etc. These things become cyclical.

As for the gladiatorial aspect of it, it kind of reminds me of something like rodeo. That is a sport that used to be much more popular than it is now, especially in rural states. Some of that sport dying off parallels the move to urban vs. rural, but it's also the backlash against the violence (and animal cruelty in some circles). Or, one can look at how the popularity of horse racing waned a generation ago.

I think that overall, football has seen its best days and is mostly being propped up by gambling and the bar/party aspect of the event rather than the sport itself.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think football will take some sort of hit. I have a son in high school and one in junior high. In their two age groups football still seems to be number 1. One of my boys played football one did not. The one who did, no longer plays. He's a goalie in hockey and wanted to focus more on that now. Football will continue to evolve. Some won't like it as they are adjusting to issues like CTE, but it will evolve.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

If there was a viable way to make a national pro minor league football work, the NFL would do it (and they tried with the World League years ago).

Greg
I believe NFL Europe back in the late 80’s early 90’s as well.. If memory serves me correctly...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:35 am

If there was a viable way to make a national pro minor league football work, the NFL would do it (and they tried with the World League years ago).

Greg
I believe NFL Europe back in the late 80’s early 90’s as well.. If memory serves me correctly...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

NFL Europe
1989 - 2007
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The NFL doesn't need to fund and run a minor league system because so far the college system has that covered for them.
The NBA and MLB can run these and need to because there are a lot more foreign plays that get into the system young and the college rules right now let youth got o the pros much sooner in these sports.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:02 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:35 am

Greg

Ciao..LiO...Peace

NFL Europe
1989 - 2007
Yeah NFL Europe was what I was referring to. I said World League because it was initially called the World League of American Football.

Greg
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

omaha79 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:08 am
This is such an unpopular opinion in this state, but I do agree with it to an extent. I enjoy watching football, but I don't live it or breathe it anymore like some do. I also see the shortcomings in the sport that some choose to ignore. I focus more on baseball, hockey (which has its own issues with CTE), and soccer. Those sports are seen as almost counterculture to my friends and co-workers, and I often take some flack for liking different sports and not being totally on board with all things football.

But, I do see a time where football isn't the king that it is now as the new generation grows up playing it less and being pushed towards different sports like soccer, basketball, baseball, etc. These things become cyclical.

As for the gladiatorial aspect of it, it kind of reminds me of something like rodeo. That is a sport that used to be much more popular than it is now, especially in rural states. Some of that sport dying off parallels the move to urban vs. rural, but it's also the backlash against the violence (and animal cruelty in some circles). Or, one can look at how the popularity of horse racing waned a generation ago.

I think that overall, football has seen its best days and is mostly being propped up by gambling and the bar/party aspect of the event rather than the sport itself.
Hockey has a CTE issue and unlike football has made serious strides toward dealing with it. (checking from behind being a Game Major penalty and the ban on fights in the NCAA as two examples). Football continues to waffle around the edges instead of looking at the game from a problem solving with actual solutions approach.

Rodeo is still bizarrely popular even though it is hugely expensive and risky. It isn't as big in the cities as it was, but if we were eScottsbluff.com or eAllianceforums.com, we would be all over it.

Horse racing as a live attendance sport died due to the death of the generations that had the spare time and the spare money to do it. My grandmother is an example of that post WW2 suction generation. Go from waitress to bookkeeper (take some classes at MCC and you could still do this today). Go from book keeper at a savings and loan (no longer in existence) to corporate board member of the S&L without an MBA or a JD? Not happening today. She didn't even have a BA. You work 40 hours a week and live in the same house you bought in WW2? You make 2x the average wage and your hubby makes 1.5x the average wage as a truck driver, you can afford to go to the track and to gamble. Most of us are not in that position and neither were the members of the intervening generations. No money, no track crowd, no confidence that the horses weren't doped to within an inch of their lives? No more sport.

Football is going to go the same way pro-soccer is going to be heading in the US, a large niche, but a niche sport none the less. Soccer is getting killed by the number of people who are adults and who had to give up the game at age 10 because the cost of playing was too much. Now they are 25 and have other things to do. FB is going to be the same. One day soon (and may 2020 or 2021 for the Huskers) we see lots of empty seats in the games and sports bars with the game on and no one really watching too closely.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:22 pm
omaha79 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:08 am

Hockey has a CTE issue and unlike football has made serious strides toward dealing with it. (checking from behind being a Game Major penalty and the ban on fights in the NCAA as two examples). Football continues to waffle around the edges instead of looking at the game from a problem solving with actual solutions approach.

Rodeo is still bizarrely popular even though it is hugely expensive and risky. It isn't as big in the cities as it was, but if we were eScottsbluff.com or eAllianceforums.com, we would be all over it.

Horse racing as a live attendance sport died due to the death of the generations that had the spare time and the spare money to do it. My grandmother is an example of that post WW2 suction generation. Go from waitress to bookkeeper (take some classes at MCC and you could still do this today). Go from book keeper at a savings and loan (no longer in existence) to corporate board member of the S&L without an MBA or a JD? Not happening today. She didn't even have a BA. You work 40 hours a week and live in the same house you bought in WW2? You make 2x the average wage and your hubby makes 1.5x the average wage as a truck driver, you can afford to go to the track and to gamble. Most of us are not in that position and neither were the members of the intervening generations. No money, no track crowd, no confidence that the horses weren't doped to within an inch of their lives? No more sport.

Football is going to go the same way pro-soccer is going to be heading in the US, a large niche, but a niche sport none the less. Soccer is getting killed by the number of people who are adults and who had to give up the game at age 10 because the cost of playing was too much. Now they are 25 and have other things to do. FB is going to be the same. One day soon (and may 2020 or 2021 for the Huskers) we see lots of empty seats in the games and sports bars with the game on and no one really watching too closely.
Agree on all of this except the comparison of football to soccer. Soccer can only go up. The people giving up soccer at age 10 and no longer caring about it was probably a generation ago. Today, more kids are playing it longer than ever and the fact they can actually see the sport on TV every week vs. once every 4 years with the World Cup is helping that. It is amazing how many people are becoming literate in the sport and following the international leagues as well as MLS and local universities. This wouldn't have happened even 15 years ago, but I never thought I'd see the day when Premier League was on regular TV on weekend mornings. NBC has made an event out of Premier League and millenials are getting into European club soccer and the watch parties at local bars, with the camaraderie that brings, is a big part of it. I think some people who want something outside of the pure mainstream are being attracted to the social and community aspect that soccer provides. It's absolutely still niche, as you said, but while soccer can only go up, football can only go down from where they've traditionally been in this country over the decades.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

We are a long ways away from some major change with football. I could see changes to all live sporting events based on the current issue with Covid. I think with football though that would just add to their tv ratings. As of right now, football is still king, The ratings when compared to other sports prove that.

Greg
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:22 pm Horse racing as a live attendance sport died due to the death of the generations that had the spare time and the spare money to do it. My grandmother is an example of that post WW2 suction generation. Go from waitress to bookkeeper (take some classes at MCC and you could still do this today). Go from book keeper at a savings and loan (no longer in existence) to corporate board member of the S&L without an MBA or a JD? Not happening today. She didn't even have a BA. You work 40 hours a week and live in the same house you bought in WW2? You make 2x the average wage and your hubby makes 1.5x the average wage as a truck driver, you can afford to go to the track and to gamble. Most of us are not in that position and neither were the members of the intervening generations. No money, no track crowd, no confidence that the horses weren't doped to within an inch of their lives? No more sport.
All you are saying there is true. However I think that slot machines are what killed horse racing. I think the average dinged out American citizen does not want to be responsible for the outcome of their gamble. They would rather pull the slot handle or push the button and do no thinking at all. This way if they lose they do not have to own it like they would if they were betting horses or sports or even poker.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:05 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:22 pm Horse racing as a live attendance sport died due to the death of the generations that had the spare time and the spare money to do it. My grandmother is an example of that post WW2 suction generation. Go from waitress to bookkeeper (take some classes at MCC and you could still do this today). Go from book keeper at a savings and loan (no longer in existence) to corporate board member of the S&L without an MBA or a JD? Not happening today. She didn't even have a BA. You work 40 hours a week and live in the same house you bought in WW2? You make 2x the average wage and your hubby makes 1.5x the average wage as a truck driver, you can afford to go to the track and to gamble. Most of us are not in that position and neither were the members of the intervening generations. No money, no track crowd, no confidence that the horses weren't doped to within an inch of their lives? No more sport.
All you are saying there is true. However I think that slot machines are what killed horse racing. I think the average dinged out American citizen does not want to be responsible for the outcome of their gamble. They would rather pull the slot handle or push the button and do no thinking at all. This way if they lose they do not have to own it like they would if they were betting horses or sports or even poker.
I think slots are more popular because they are quicker, more action. Horse racing there is so much down town. Takes several hours just to make 10 to 13 bets. 20- 30 minutes of just sitting there waiting of the next race.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

These are both true. The WW2 Suction generation lived in 5,000 dollar houses and made $40k a year to work 40 hpw. They could hit the track and kick back with a couple of drinks and wait for the race. If suddenly you look at their kids who lived in a 25 k house and made 40k per year working 45 hpw, they couldn’t. Then the next gen who lived in a 100k house and made 75k working 50 hpw, no time for a lounging afternoon at the track and casino gambling was faster and fit their time budget better.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:20 pm These are both true. The WW2 Suction generation lived in 5,000 dollar houses and made $40k a year to work 40 hpw. They could hit the track and kick back with a couple of drinks and wait for the race. If suddenly you look at their kids who lived in a 25 k house and made 40k per year working 45 hpw, they couldn’t. Then the next gen who lived in a 100k house and made 75k working 50 hpw, no time for a lounging afternoon at the track and casino gambling was faster and fit their time budget better.
And the fact that that generation living in $100k houses and making $75k and working 5 hpw now have kids playing select baseball that travels every weekend and their daughter is in a dance troupe that has competitions in Florida where they wear a $200 outfit one time. Some of the financial stuff of our generation has been self inflicted.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

omaha79 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:08 pm
bigredmed1 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:20 pm These are both true. The WW2 Suction generation lived in 5,000 dollar houses and made $40k a year to work 40 hpw. They could hit the track and kick back with a couple of drinks and wait for the race. If suddenly you look at their kids who lived in a 25 k house and made 40k per year working 45 hpw, they couldn’t. Then the next gen who lived in a 100k house and made 75k working 50 hpw, no time for a lounging afternoon at the track and casino gambling was faster and fit their time budget better.
And the fact that that generation living in $100k houses and making $75k and working 5 hpw now have kids playing select baseball that travels every weekend and their daughter is in a dance troupe that has competitions in Florida where they wear a $200 outfit one time. Some of the financial stuff of our generation has been self inflicted.
Most definitely. When my parents were kids, baseball was a pick up game. When I was a kid, it was a bunch of kids in red T-shirts vs blue T-shirts. No traveling was done. Now, they all wear real uniforms and have pro coaches. Dance was taught in some lady's basement and now its as you said.

My late wife was a credit counselor and she spent a great deal of time with middle and upper middle income clients just cutting the fat out of their budgets. You would have been amazed at the stuff her clients thought was absolutely essential.
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

and today, it's more the people making $75k living in $300k houses with 3 kids all in select sports, brand new cars, 2 vacations a year, and student loan debt.