XFL

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

Otown88
New to the Neighborhood

XFL

Postby Otown88 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:40 pm

Vince McMahon has announced that he is bringing back the XFL football league in 2020 with 8 new teams in large and medium size cities. Whats the Chances Omaha scores a team and or do we want one?

nebugeater
County Board

Re: XFL

Postby nebugeater » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:11 pm

The challenge with Omaha is a place to play. TDA works but it is far from ideal. I think that can go against the chances. I have nor read any of the details yet either but it will also depend on what time of the year they play.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Otown88 wrote:Vince McMahon has announced that he is bringing back the XFL football league in 2020 with 8 new teams in large and medium size cities. Whats the Chances Omaha scores a team and or do we want one?

From what I understand it is Des Moines' turn. And why not? DSM has minor league basketball, baseball and hockey. I would take the USL soccer over the football though. I hope Green can deliver.

Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Postby Silverspoon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:22 pm

An XFL team could use Ralston Arena and maybe throw that money pit a few bones.
Avid 3NewsNow watcher Jim Flowers rules!

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:23 pm

Another short term football league in Omaha? No thanks.

Give me USL, with an affiliation with Minnesota's new MLS team...or another shot at AHL that isn't run poorly.
No posts exist for this topic

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association

Postby bigredmed1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:43 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:Another short term football league in Omaha? No thanks.

Give me USL, with an affiliation with Minnesota's new MLS team...or another shot at AHL that isn't run poorly.

Soccer is a money loser. Semi pro hockey will have too many weeknight games to make money in a family town. Tuesdays are CU Bball nights, Wednesdays are church nights. Mondays and Thursdays are school nights. Fridays and Saturdays are college hockey and date nights. They will struggle here just like the last team did.

Honestly, none of the above seems more appealing.

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Postby MadMartin8 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:03 pm

bigredmed1 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Another short term football league in Omaha? No thanks.

Soccer is a money loser. Semi pro hockey will have too many weeknight games to make money in a family town. Tuesdays are CU Bball nights, Wednesdays are church nights. Mondays and Thursdays are school nights. Fridays and Saturdays are college hockey and date nights. They will struggle here just like the last team did.

Honestly, none of the above seems more appealing.

"Soccer is a money loser" - It isn't my money that is being lost, not sure I will care too much. A lot....of Minor league teams lose money anyways in various leagues. I will go to the games, and I would enjoy them.

"Semi Pro hockey will have too many weeknight games to make money in a family town" - What town isn't a family town by chance? Just curious.

Edit:

Let me be clear. My point is, if there is a minor league team in town, I'd rather it be one of the above leagues. Not a new football league. If they don't last long, I'll still enjoy it more than I would the "XFL".

Taco
Home Owners Association

Postby Taco » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 pm

Offtopic from XFL but a USL team would do quite well in Omaha. Creighton especially, but also UNO do well for NCAA soccer attendance and the club soccer scene is huge in Omaha. Additionally the USL plays in the summer when their only competition would be the Royals and 2 weeks of the CWS. I would love to see a lower division soccer team in Omaha, especially they can play in Morrison.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:33 am

10 game season starting in Late Jan or early Feb. Not happening at TDA with CU baseball starting in March and the filed being protected for a June CWS

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Postby MadMartin8 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:50 am

nebugeater wrote:10 game season starting in Late Jan or early Feb. Not happening at TDA with CU baseball starting in March and the filed being protected for a June CWS

Starting in Late January? Wow.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:54 am

MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:10 game season starting in Late Jan or early Feb. Not happening at TDA with CU baseball starting in March and the filed being protected for a June CWS

That is what I read in a couple reports this AM. Guessing most of the teams will be Southern / west coast based.

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Postby MadMartin8 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:04 am

nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

That is what I read in a couple reports this AM. Guessing most of the teams will be Southern / west coast based.

Wouldn't surprise me. I am trying to remember where the original XFL teams were, I think it followed that pattern too?

Edit: nevermind, Chicago, New York, and Memphis had teams in the original XFL. The rest were warm climate though.

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:30 am

MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me. I am trying to remember where the original XFL teams were, I think it followed that pattern too?

Edit: nevermind, Chicago, New York, and Memphis had teams in the original XFL. The rest were warm climate though.

Also looks like an eight team league to start with.

Padre
New to the Neighborhood

Postby Padre » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:44 am

MadMartin8 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

The original XFL played their first game on February 3 2001 in Las Vegas.

Without being able to play at TD Ameritrade, I don’t think Omaha will get a team, and they can’t play there in the spring.

riceweb
Home Owners Association

Postby riceweb » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:31 am

It sounds like this will be more of a January-February league, so TD might be available, but it'd awful cold and possibly unsafe.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:16 pm

10 Possible Cities for XFL Teams in 2020

Eight new teams will be announced in 2019, and all teams will remain under McMahon’s ownership. With the possibility of eight new football franchises in the country’s future, here are 10 possible cities for XFL teams in 2020.

10. Las Vegas, NV
9. San Diego, CA
8. Columbus, OH
7. St. Louis, MO
6. Birmingham, AL
5. Chicago, IL
4. New York, NY
3. Oklahoma City, OK
2. Portland, OR
1. San Antonio, TX

Honorable Mentions:
Boston, MA
Orlando, FL
Salt Lake City, UT

https://youtu.be/Epm5_DSfMn4

jessep28
Planning Board

Postby jessep28 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Considering Trump's feud with the NFL over the National Anthem, and his ties to the McMahons (Linda McMahon is the Administrator for the Small Business Administration), part of me believes this is all a political stunt.

XFL version 1.0 was a money loser. Trump was also an investor in the failed USFL. I don't understand why either would try to make something work financially again.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Return to “Sports”