MLB in Omaha

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21083
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

MLB in Omaha

Postby Coyote » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:16 am

MLB looking at a game in Omaha a few days before the CWS.
Image

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:21 am

Coyote wrote:MLB looking at a game in Omaha a few days before the CWS.


Don't go pulling my leg Coyote.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:22 am

Two regional series that week. Reds and Royals; Cubs and Brewers

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3754
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby Greg S » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:36 am

Yeah Kendall Rogers is reporting. This would be great. Might still be a long shot but at least it's being discussed.

Greg

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 21083
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby Coyote » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:31 am

Monday through Wednesday the MLB draft, Thursday night MLB game, Friday CWS opening night ceremonies, Saturday first CWS game. Possible for 2019.
Image

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby iamjacobm » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 am

Coyote wrote:Monday through Wednesday the MLB draft, Thursday night MLB game, Friday CWS opening night ceremonies, Saturday first CWS game. Possible for 2019.


3 weeks of baseball nirvana in Omaha. A few hundred MLB representatives filling up hotels, live broadcasts from CLCO with first round draft picks on MLB Network capped off by a sold out MLB game under the lights in DTO. All that before they throw a pitch for the CWS? Sign me up.

Only risk would maybe be some event fatigue by the end of the CWS.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby MadMartin8 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Coyote wrote:Monday through Wednesday the MLB draft, Thursday night MLB game, Friday CWS opening night ceremonies, Saturday first CWS game. Possible for 2019.



Holy |expletive|, that would be huge.
No posts exist for this topic

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6271
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby nebugeater » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:14 pm

http://www.omaha.com/sports/blogs/mad-c ... b3256.html


Pretty good coverage of this possibility by Dirk Chatelain in the OWH today. Looks like 2019 is the soonest it might happen.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

omaha79
Library Board
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby omaha79 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:09 pm

I'm all in for this. I would assume that it would be one of the hottest tickets of the year and would be insanely high on the secondary market, depending on who they get. If you get the Royals or Cubs to play in this game, then it will be insane.

Now, I'm interested to see how it works from a territorial rights perspective. I'm sure many will assume it would be a Cubs game with this being TD Ameritrade park and Ricketts relationship with Omaha and MECA. Still, Omaha is Royals territory. I'm guessing they would have first right of refusal for any MLB games played in Omaha, even over the Cubs with old man Ricketts old companies name hanging over the stadium.

Maybe MLB would override in that situation or come to some sort of compromise, but also, the Cubs probably wouldn't want to give up a home game. Teams like Chicago and St. Louis who routinely sell out probably wouldn't think it's worth it to give up a home game. You might have to have it be a team that wouldn't be losing out on much from a gate perspective. Maybe make it White Sox vs. Royals with the Royals as the road team and the White Sox giving up a home game. Or, Padres vs. Cubs with Cubs as the road team. Or, Royals vs. Cubs with the Royals as the home team. I just don't see the Cubs giving up a home game at Wrigley Field for 25k in Omaha.

I can't wait to see how it plays out. There will probably be some politics involved, at least in the first year. And, I love the idea of having the draft in Omaha as well.

TwoPups
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby TwoPups » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 pm

While the Royals are probably the predominant team in a Omaha, the Cubs and Cardinals are a very close second/third. There are also quite a few Brewers and Twins fans in town. If it was a Cubs game alone: awesome. If it were truly a Cubs/Brewers matchup (as rumored), that would be amazingly cool and tickets would be very hard to get. If it were Cubs/Cards it would be almost unbelievable and tickets would be absurdly expensive.

Fort Calhoun
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:59 pm

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby Fort Calhoun » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:22 am

omaha79 wrote:I'm all in for this. I would assume that it would be one of the hottest tickets of the year and would be insanely high on the secondary market, depending on who they get. If you get the Royals or Cubs to play in this game, then it will be insane.

Now, I'm interested to see how it works from a territorial rights perspective. I'm sure many will assume it would be a Cubs game with this being TD Ameritrade park and Ricketts relationship with Omaha and MECA. Still, Omaha is Royals territory. I'm guessing they would have first right of refusal for any MLB games played in Omaha, even over the Cubs with old man Ricketts old companies name hanging over the stadium.

Maybe MLB would override in that situation or come to some sort of compromise, but also, the Cubs probably wouldn't want to give up a home game. Teams like Chicago and St. Louis who routinely sell out probably wouldn't think it's worth it to give up a home game. You might have to have it be a team that wouldn't be losing out on much from a gate perspective. Maybe make it White Sox vs. Royals with the Royals as the road team and the White Sox giving up a home game. Or, Padres vs. Cubs with Cubs as the road team. Or, Royals vs. Cubs with the Royals as the home team. I just don't see the Cubs giving up a home game at Wrigley Field for 25k in Omaha.

I can't wait to see how it plays out. There will probably be some politics involved, at least in the first year. And, I love the idea of having the draft in Omaha as well.


The territorial rights belong to the Storm Chasers, not Kansas City. The Storm Chasers would have to give their permission for any exhibition or regular season major league game.

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby jessep28 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Better start planning for a dedicated stadium for this event.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

omaha79
Library Board
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: MLB in Omaha

Postby omaha79 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Fort Calhoun wrote:
omaha79 wrote:I'm all in for this. I would assume that it would be one of the hottest tickets of the year and would be insanely high on the secondary market, depending on who they get. If you get the Royals or Cubs to play in this game, then it will be insane.

Now, I'm interested to see how it works from a territorial rights perspective. I'm sure many will assume it would be a Cubs game with this being TD Ameritrade park and Ricketts relationship with Omaha and MECA. Still, Omaha is Royals territory. I'm guessing they would have first right of refusal for any MLB games played in Omaha, even over the Cubs with old man Ricketts old companies name hanging over the stadium.

Maybe MLB would override in that situation or come to some sort of compromise, but also, the Cubs probably wouldn't want to give up a home game. Teams like Chicago and St. Louis who routinely sell out probably wouldn't think it's worth it to give up a home game. You might have to have it be a team that wouldn't be losing out on much from a gate perspective. Maybe make it White Sox vs. Royals with the Royals as the road team and the White Sox giving up a home game. Or, Padres vs. Cubs with Cubs as the road team. Or, Royals vs. Cubs with the Royals as the home team. I just don't see the Cubs giving up a home game at Wrigley Field for 25k in Omaha.

I can't wait to see how it plays out. There will probably be some politics involved, at least in the first year. And, I love the idea of having the draft in Omaha as well.


The territorial rights belong to the Storm Chasers, not Kansas City. The Storm Chasers would have to give their permission for any exhibition or regular season major league game.


I don't believe this is correct.

Every MLB team has a territory. Omaha belongs to KC even outside of having their MiLB team here. This extends to things like broadcast and blackout rights. It also would be similar to how Oakland can't just move to San Jose. Certain MLB teams are protective of what business other teams do in their territory and holding a regular season game in someone elses territory would fall under that jurisdiction, I'd believe.


Return to “Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest