Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From today's W-H:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38& ... nd=3292218

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I saw the Classic advertising for volunteers. Since I had some free time, I thought I would offer myself but it turns out I had to pay $40 for a Volunteer package.

This package included: Cox Classic golf shirt, hat, volunteer badge (for admission on all days), 1 extra weekly ground ticket (for a friend), 1 meal per day of work, and entrance into volunteer appreciation party.

I decided I didn't need the new clothes and having to pay for my lunch, my admission to work, and for admission into a volunteer appreciation party (when i would be one of the volunteers) wasn't worth it. :shock:
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Luckily for the Cox Classic there's no shortage of people who think $40 is a bargain to have an opportunity to hang around these golfers (and get some souvenirs which would account for that $40 alone) My retired father pays considerably more to 'volunteer' at the PGA tournament in Phoenix. I think he got his big thrill when he stood next to John O'Hurley and asked "Where's Elaine?" ... duh.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Well i should have said I am not a golfer - or golf fan -- was just looking to lend a helping hand since they were seeking volunteers. :D
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I was just going to point out that to the golf 'nut' (of which I am not, although many of my friends would be on the list :) ), that $40 price tag is not unreasonable..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

was just looking to lend a helping hand since they were seeking volunteers.
Maybe they're still looking for Olympic swimming support? :)
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Maybe they're still looking for Olympic swimming support? :)

Do I get free water wings?? :D
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

you get a Pollywog patch to sew on to your trunks!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Uffda-

One reason why volunteers are asked to "pay" for these things is that this tourney, as many others, are large fundraisers for charity. These things take a LOT of volunteers, which in turn means a lot of money, so "paying" to volunteer is really for a good cause. (and I'll admit, when I was approached to volunteer for the first one eight(?) years ago, I had the same reaction initially, but I can tell you that I (and friends) had a blast doing it)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Some pro golfer people were at work last week. Mutual sponsors some of them along with swimming. One guy from our department got to me a glofer. I don't care about golf but apparently it was a big deal.
DTO
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

DTO Luv wrote:One guy from our department got to me a glofer. I don't care about golf but apparently it was a big deal.
You got a GLOFER??? Holy smokes man, that's HUGE! I don't know anyone else around here who's gotten a glofer.... :wink:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Kill all the golfers?

No, the GLOFERS!!!

Oh, we can do that. We don't even need a reason.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Gore wins in playoff, advance to PGA Tour

Post by Brad »

Gore wins in playoff, advance to PGA Tour

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=1478323
The 31-year-old Californian rallied from four shots behind Sunday to win the Cox Classic on the second playoff hole against Roger Tambellini.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Tom Shatel's column from today's W-H:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=1478440

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

Now that's a great article. Did anyone watch the interviews afterwards? Gore said he felt like he was back at Pinehurst (U.S. Open). The crowds were as every bit electric as those at the U.S. Open he said. What better place to win than Omaha.

Does anyone else feel like these little occurrences (fate?) are slowly foreshadowing what's to come for us? I mean, the biggest 'up and coming' player wins in Omaha of all places to win his tour card. I sense that these little pre-cursors, amongst many others, can only help what's to come for us.. and sooner than many of us may think. With announcements outstanding, I feel like we're headed for a mini-Atlanta boom in the next 10 years. Maybe the article made me all mushy, but I see something bigger on the horizon than what some of you may see. (Mainly in regards to the after effects of this next wave of developments).
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

I've been to a couple "smaller" PGA tournaments (last week's International) and I've been to a couple of the Omaha tournaments. I truly think Omaha/Lincoln could handle a PGA event. The International is an outstanding event, but I think Omaha/Lincoln could really put on a great show with all the potential in the area.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I go golfing from time to time, but I really don't follow it much. So what all exactly from Omaha-Lincoln would be conducive to supporting a PGA event like what you're talking about, Whale Shark? I guess I'm a bit confused - If the course to be played is in Omaha, I don't see where Lincoln would come into play and vice versa. Its not like the Olympics where its spread out - its on one course in one city. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just curious and want to hear more about it.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

tuna,

Some tourneys utilize more than one course - the Bob Hope Classic and the Pebble Peach Pro-Am would be two that pop into mind. There is really only one course in Omaha/Lincoln though that could support a (smaller) PGA tourney, imo, and that would be The Champions (if it were to be one course only). I think we have a couple of other nice courses in the metro that might be able to support a Seniors or LPGA tour event, but not a PGA event. If I understand correctly, you don't apply to be on the PGA circuit, they come to you. Having a stop on the Nationwide Tour will help, down the road.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Ah hah! That certainly clears things up. I had no idea that some tourney's use multiple courses. Well, it would sure be neat to have some sort of event like that.
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

Yeah, great point... I guess I was trying to say the overall support of a PGA event around the Omaha/Lincoln area would be second to none.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

700 Volunteers this year so far and they need about 1000. Marshals, standard bearers... 3-4 hour shifts.
http://www.coxclassic.xom $700,000 Nationwide purse this year.
This event brings $8,800,000 to the Omaha economy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Can't believe it has been a while since the Classic has been mentioned here:

Time to move on...?

Future of Cox Classic up in the air
Stu Pospisil: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Champions Run's managing partner, Bob Horgan, has said that his club may be ready for the Web.com Tour event — one of the top stops on the PGA Tour's developmental circuit — to move on. Horgan also said he would consider how 2013's tournament goes before deciding.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

One article mentioned Firethorn in Lincoln might try and get this tour stop.  I think it would be great for them and we could make a push for more Champions tour stops.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Bigger question is whether any Omaha course/club wants to host a professional event.  I dare say that while they are a novelty at first for members, after a while, the members don't like the hassles of losing access to their course and the course modifications.

I sense that Champions wants out, and before Omaha gets another stop, another club would have to step up and offer their facility.  I don't see any of the Omaha muni's being appropriate for any sort of event.

OCC has said they'd be interested in another Senior Open...but not an annual tour stop.
Blade1655
Home Owners Association

Post by Blade1655 »

Indian Creek?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Out of Curiosity I added a poll.  I went once about 10 years ago, other an a couple people, I don't really know anyone that goes, either for golf or drinking...

The radio was on in the background at work today and if I heard right, Indian Creek missed its opportunity and Firethorn members don't want it.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Brad, was that you buzzing over West Omaha getting shots of the Cox Classic yesterday afternoon in the Huskers helicopter?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HskrFanMike wrote:Brad, was that you buzzing over West Omaha getting shots of the Cox Classic yesterday afternoon in the Huskers helicopter?
No, I haven't been up yet this year in the Omaha Area.  I would have guessed they wouldn't want a helicopter flying around a golf tournament.

That is far and away the nicest helicopter I have ever been in!
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Cox Classic Movin' on up..

Post by iamjacobm »

And summer 2014 got a little less fun.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:And summer 2014 got a little less fun.
Please expand
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Classic. No more. The course pulled out.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:Classic. No more. The course pulled out.

Thanks

Not sure how I missed that in the news..... tehn again, I am used to seeing things here first!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I suspect that after their course gets chewed for two weeks and is off limits for a month, the members who pay a lot to play there get a bit peeved.

Also, after the Senior Open, the Cox Classic seems several steps down. Maybe Omaha should aim for a Senior PGA tour stop?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I forget how many years away a possible Sr's tour could be scheduled for Omaha...

And for a course that depends on green fees for its livelihood, yes, to cut off that income, while killing the course itself, reply cuts the bottom line.