UNO Maverick Athletics

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby bigredmed » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:02 pm

skinzfan23 wrote:I still feel that the Valley isn't the best situation for UNO, especially since Wichita left.


What is going on with the Summit League to make them want to change? As you said, without Wichita State, there really isn't a power school in either conference.

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby MadMartin8 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Well, the Mo Valley does have football!

:hi:
No posts exist for this topic

WBR_Tom
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:02 pm
Location: Papillion, Omaha, and Everything in Between

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby WBR_Tom » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:14 pm

The MVC has a much better TV contract, both in terms of number of games shown and dollars (ESPN, FSN, plus the Valley's digital network on ESPN3 that streams every home game), and far more NCAA Tournament units to split, though both of those revenue streams are short-term gains -- the next TV deal will undoubtably be less lucrative sans Wichita, and without the Shockers annually winning games in the tourney future Units will likely be far fewer. But right now, the MVC has a lot more money to divvy up and a ton more games on national TV/streaming platforms. If you could get in now and take advantage of that exposure and money to grow your program quickly, a move to the MVC might make sense.

As a Creighton guy I'd love to see some of the old Valley schools back in Omaha again, but talking to some people around college hoops today I don't think it's likely UNO makes the cut.

User avatar
Coyote
City Council
Posts: 20805
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:18 am
Location: Three floors down
Contact:

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby Coyote » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:02 pm

WBR_Tom wrote:The MVC has a much better TV contract, both in terms of number of games shown and dollars (ESPN, FSN, plus the Valley's digital network on ESPN3 that streams every home game), and far more NCAA Tournament units to split, though both of those revenue streams are short-term gains -- the next TV deal will undoubtably be less lucrative sans Wichita, and without the Shockers annually winning games in the tourney future Units will likely be far fewer. But right now, the MVC has a lot more money to divvy up and a ton more games on national TV/streaming platforms. If you could get in now and take advantage of that exposure and money to grow your program quickly, a move to the MVC might make sense.

As a Creighton guy I'd love to see some of the old Valley schools back in Omaha again, but talking to some people around college hoops today I don't think it's likely UNO makes the cut.


Well put. I really doubt Omaha will leave the Summit, but, if the financials make sense for the short term, how can they not listen to their offer, given Omaha's Sports finances...
Image

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3647
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby Greg S » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:27 am

The Valley seems to be in decline. Short term it may be a little better not sure on long term.

Would anyone really be that excited to see teams like Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa?


Greg

omaha79
Library Board
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby omaha79 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:59 pm

Greg S wrote:The Valley seems to be in decline. Short term it may be a little better not sure on long term.

Would anyone really be that excited to see teams like Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa?


Greg


I'm not excited about it, overall. I've wondered what kind of league UNO would really be joining with the Valley...but at the same time, what kind of league is the Summit League going to be going forward?

The more and more I hear, it sounds like IUPUI and IPFW (long rumored as wanting to leave) could end up in the Horizon League. At that point, the Summit is again under the minimum number of baseball schools necessary for the NCAA auto bid. and, if the MVC is going to backfill with a Summit League team, I'd prefer UNO not be the odd man out stuck in a league that's teetering on falling apart or not able to support baseball anymore.

It's just so fluid. There are days where I think the Summit is the only choice, but other days the MVC sounds better than I initially thought.

User avatar
nebugeater
County Board
Posts: 6149
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:07 pm
Location: Gretna NE

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby nebugeater » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:03 pm

My bet is that the Mo Valley will add three and that Omaha will be one that jumps.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

omaha79
Library Board
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby omaha79 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:03 pm

also, the rumor is that the MVC could add UNO, Murray St. and Valpo.

That changes the profile of that league a bit. I like the mix of those schools with UNI, Ill St. SIU, and Missouri St.

I do think something like that is superior to the Summit for UNO.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8936
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby iamjacobm » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:11 pm

The Valley is without a doubt in my mind better than the Summit.

User avatar
skinzfan23
County Board
Posts: 5246
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 am
Location: Omaha/Bellevue

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby skinzfan23 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:43 pm

The Valley has a much better history of success, but since both Creighton and Wichita left, there isn't any perennial powerhouse program left. Sure N. Iowa has been somewhat consistent over the last decade but there isn't another team that has had any sustained success over the past 10 years. At least with the Summit league, S Dakota St. is fairly consistent.

I definitely agree that the Valley TV contract is a much better deal and of course the Valley has teams in larger markets as well. But I think if you put the Summit basketball teams up against the Valley, it would be pretty even.

omaha79
Library Board
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby omaha79 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 pm

For 2016-2017, Real Time RPI had The Valley as the #12 ranked conference. The Summit was ranked #17. The Horizon League was #19. Relatively similar profiles. All 1 bid leagues.

On paper, the Valley looks like an upgrade, but the caveat to that is a Valley without WSU, replaced by UNO, Valpo, and Murray St. probably drops the Valley from #12 to #15 or #16.

But again, the dominoes will continue to drop. The Summit without UNO, Fort Wayne and IUPUI drops a bit as well.

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3647
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby Greg S » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:21 pm

I would hate to see UNO leave the Summitt for the Valley. Not enough of an upgrade. I like the proximity and the history with the teams from the Summitt. I just can't get that excited for Northern Iowa and Southern Illinois. At least we have a history with the Dakota schools and the league tourney is less than 3 hours away.

Greg

omaha79
Library Board
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby omaha79 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:07 pm

So, reading between the lines, UNO can't afford a qualified chancellor candidate...but, athletics could still be looking at making a conference move that would require the school to further increase the athletic budget?

That would be a hard sell to the public int his climate.

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby bigredmed » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:44 pm

omaha79 wrote:So, reading between the lines, UNO can't afford a qualified chancellor candidate...but, athletics could still be looking at making a conference move that would require the school to further increase the athletic budget?

That would be a hard sell to the public int his climate.


If this happens, UNO should combine athletics with UNL and UNK and balance the sports offerings between the 3 campii. That would allow UNO to go the BIG for hockey.

Still want to know the deets on why UNO could not find a chancellor candidate.

Greg S
County Board
Posts: 3647
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:46 am

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby Greg S » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:02 pm

omaha79 wrote:So, reading between the lines, UNO can't afford a qualified chancellor candidate...but, athletics could still be looking at making a conference move that would require the school to further increase the athletic budget?

That would be a hard sell to the public int his climate.



If UNO does make a conference move that requires additional money I'm sure it would be privately raised. (If that is indeed the case, as far as funding goes, they would have already had those discussions and the funds already committed)

Greg

omaha79
Library Board
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby omaha79 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:44 pm

It sounds like Valpo may be the only school being invited to The Valley based on Twitter reports I've been seeing.

Also, Shatel yesterday echoed many of the comments made on here as to why UNO to The Valley isn't a "no-brainer". Basically, the stuff we've said here like UNO's basketball budget not matching that of other MVC schools and UNO not being a basketball first school.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-swim ... 6ec8f.html

User avatar
Brad
City Council
Posts: 28557
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby Brad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:30 am

UNO athletics, Baxter Arena appear to be on more firm financial footing after year of concern

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/uno ... 8a384.html

By Rick Ruggles / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The University of Nebraska at Omaha athletic department’s finances appear to be somewhat more solid after a year of alarm.

The university funneled about $6.7 million to the athletic department and Baxter Arena for 2016-17, down from about $8.7 million the previous year.
Image
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

MadMartin8
Planning Board
Posts: 2167
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Beyond Thunderdome

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby MadMartin8 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:26 am

Brad wrote:UNO athletics, Baxter Arena appear to be on more firm financial footing after year of concern

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/uno ... 8a384.html

By Rick Ruggles / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The University of Nebraska at Omaha athletic department’s finances appear to be somewhat more solid after a year of alarm.

The university funneled about $6.7 million to the athletic department and Baxter Arena for 2016-17, down from about $8.7 million the previous year.


Well, it's a positive step at least.
No posts exist for this topic

HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1088
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:40 pm
Contact:

Re: UNO Maverick Athletics

Postby HskrFanMike » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Cut expenses by $1 million, the NU central office paid off some of the bonds to reduce the mortgage by $500k a year and hit the students for another $500k with fees.
Blog:  http://huskermike.blogspot.com


Return to “Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest