UNO Maverick Athletics

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNO finally gets a real DI win against Northern Illinois, but the I found out NI is 0-7 and UNO was actually favored. Michigan St is up next.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Congratulations to North Dakota State on winning the 1-AA football championship.

NDSU undergrads: ±14,400

Fargo metro population: ±208,000

Average football attendance: ±15,000

A state of ±672,500 even splits allegiances at the 1-AA level with North Dakota in Grand Forks.

I stand corrected.  No way this could ever have worked at UNO.
Stable genius.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Congrats to former NU coach Craig Bohl.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Admin wrote:Congrats to former NU coach Craig Bohl.
And NU player!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Getting some pub on ESPN, pretty cool.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... ys-games-2
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

UNO wins!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Again!

Back to back wins against Creighton and Iowa!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Lawsuit Demands UNO Football Records

http://www.ketv.com/r/30874247/detail.html
A lawsuit filed on Wednesday targets the University of Nebraska Omaha athletic program over the decision to drop the football and wrestling programs last year.
Could get ugly...
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

My guess is it is already ugly.  with this it could get public.

Big E wrote:Lawsuit Demands UNO Football Records

http://www.ketv.com/r/30874247/detail.html
A lawsuit filed on Wednesday targets the University of Nebraska Omaha athletic program over the decision to drop the football and wrestling programs last year.
Could get ugly...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nebugeater wrote:My guess is it is already ugly.  with this it could get public.
"Pugly"?
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Big E wrote:
nebugeater wrote:My guess is it is already ugly.  with this it could get public.
"Pugly"?
\

works for me
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/49121360/ ... asketball/
The Summit League chose this school year to refer to three of its teams by the university's last name in standings and media releases, in part to highlight the conference's metropolitan areas and to make the schools more recognizable nationally. Some schools want to make the changes permanent.

League officials will call the University of Nebraska-Omaha simply Omaha, the University of Missouri-Kansas City as Kansas City and Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne as Fort Wayne.

No more UNO, UMKC and IPFW - at first glance, anyway.
Omaha has already completed its own rebranding campaign that offered an alternative to the UNO acronym, which also is used at the University of New Orleans. The Nebraska school bills itself as "Omaha's team." The new look includes an "O" insignia to replace a hodgepodge of logos that were used by the Mavericks.

"For the 40,000 alumni who live in the greater Omaha area, we will always be UNO," said Dave Ahlers, Omaha's director of communications. "But from more of a national perspective, it made more sense.

"People know Omaha. It's a lot easier to put that on a ticker," he said.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNO will play seven games at Werner Park

The Omaha Storm Chasers and University of Nebraska at Omaha have joined together to make Werner Park the home for seven non-conference home games during the Mavericks’ 2013 baseball season.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Admin wrote:Congrats to former NU coach Craig Bohl.
Congrats again!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Won three straight conference games, now 5-6 in the Summit good for 5th place out of 9.  Not half bad for a first year D1 program.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

UNO wins the Summit League baseball title.  They went 20-6, the second place team went 16-10 in conference.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:UNO wins the Summit League baseball title.  They went 20-6, the second place team went 16-10 in conference.
I went to the game Saturday.  Its hard to believe they don't play in something nicer.  I wonder why they don't play at Werner park more.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:UNO wins the Summit League baseball title.  They went 20-6, the second place team went 16-10 in conference.
I went to the game Saturday.  Its hard to believe they don't play in something nicer.  I wonder why they don't play at Werner park more.
Just wait, I am sure Omaha will build another ballpark.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
Brad wrote:
Just wait, I am sure Omaha will build another ballpark.
There will be one south of Center eventually.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Heck of a lot better than the I-80 field they played in a few years ago.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Heck of a lot better than the I-80 field they played in a few years ago.
It is?  
I80 is 1/2 the drive from campus
I80 has more seats
I80 has a warning track
I80 has lights

Neither have locker room facilities connected to the stadium.  Boystown has something across the street at the football stadium.

Boystown has the traditional NE facing stadium where I80 faces SE.

Boystown's turf seemed to be in good shape, but if you have bad turf so far this year, you really aren't trying.

Either way, its horrible facilities for a D1 Baseball program.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They'll eventually build at Ak-Sar-Ben. In the mean time Werner is by far their best option.  Heard once they build on Center they will still play a showcase game or two at Werner (CU used to do a more exaggerated version of this between their on campus and the 'blatt).  Nebraska will start playing UNO in baseball next year.  That would be a great game for Werner Park going forward.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Walk-off homer lets Mavs clinch first D-I championship
Rob White of the Omaha World-Herald wrote:Ryan Keele’s two-run, opposite-field homer gave the University of Nebraska at Omaha a 6-4 victory against South Dakota State on Friday in the opening game of a doubleheader, giving the school its first Division I championship of any kind.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

SDSU gets a player drafted in NBA's second round!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNO recruit picked; 2 Lancers drafted
Omaha World Herald wrote:Forward Jake Guentzel, an incoming freshman at UNO, was chosen in the third round of the NHL entry draft Sunday by the Pittsburgh Penguins while two Omaha Lancers were picked.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Don't know if this was posted yet:
The University of Nebraska Omaha men's soccer team will kick off the 2013 season with the "South Omaha Classic," an exhibition against defending Big Ten regular-season champion Penn State at Omaha South High School's Collin Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 17 at 7 p.m.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

PSU wins 1-0, a UNO record 2,581 fans in attendance.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rookwood Lifts Mavericks to 1-0 Win Over Columbia
OMavs wrote:Vance Rookwood scored the only goal of the match with 7:55 remaining to give the Omaha men's soccer team a 1-0 win over Columbia on Sunday afternoon.

It marked the first win of the season for the Mavericks (1-2), despite the fact that they outshot their first two opponents a combined 27-13. Columbia dropped to 0-2.
 Sat, Aug 17   Penn State (Exh.)   Omaha South HS - Collin Stadium      0-1 (L)  
 Fri,  Aug 23   Creighton (Exh.)   at Omaha, Neb. - Morrison Stadium     1-1 (T)  

Fri,  Aug 30   Grand Canyon          Omaha, Neb. - UNO Soccer Field     1-2 (L)  
 Sun, Sep 01   Missouri State         at Springfield, Mo.                          0-1 (L) (2OT)  
 Sun, Sep 08   Columbia                Omaha, Neb. - UNO Soccer Field     1-0 (W)  

Fri,  Sep 13   Drake                     at Des Moines, Iowa      
 Tue, Sep 17   SIUE                      Omaha, Neb. - UNO Soccer Field
 Sat, Sep 21   Cal State Fullerton   Omaha, Neb. - UNO Soccer Field
 Tue, Sep 24   Kansas City            Omaha, Neb. - UNO Soccer Field
 Sat, Sep 28   Western Illinois *    Omaha, Neb. - UNO Soccer Field
 Wed, Oct 02   Milwaukee             Omaha, Neb.      TBA  
 Sat,  Oct 05   IUPUI *                  at Indianapolis, Ind.
 Sat,  Oct 12   Belmont                  at Nashville, Tenn.
 Sat,  Oct 19   Denver *                at Denver, Colo.
 Sat,  Oct 26   Oral Roberts *        Omaha, Neb.      
 Sun, Nov 03   Eastern Illinois *    at Charleston, Ill.
 Sat,  Nov 09   Fort Wayne *          Omaha, Neb.    
 Sat,  Nov 16   Incarnate Word      Omaha, Neb.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNO Basketball gave the Iowa Hawkeyes a scare today. They lead 43-36 at half and had it 66-66 at 6:30 only to lose down the stretch 75-83. They beat N Ill 68-66 on Friday.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That would have been a great upset for UNO. I still think they have many positive things that can come of a game like this.  As for the Hawkeyes, they look terrible at shooting, especially 3's in their first two games and they don't seem interested in the games at all.  I find it funny that all the Hawkeye fans were complaining when they didn't make the NCAA tournament last year because they played such a weak non-conference schedule. ( I believe their non-conference schedule last year ranked around 315th, which is horrible)  Their non-conference schedule is weak again this year and so far they are having the same results.  Once again though, great game for UNO!
Coyote
City Council

Re: UNO Mavrick Sports

Post by Coyote »

Maverick Tennis On Display at the Pentagon
omavs.com wrote:Hagel was meeting with Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera, an avid tennis player. After their meeting and a joint press conference, Hagel presented Onodera with a Maverick tennis t-shirt and warmup jacket.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

University of Nebraska-Omaha is finally a full fledged Division 1 athletic program! Congrats to all the coaches and athletes exciting stuff for them to have a postseason to work toward.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

As mentioned on 1620 Trev Alberts is being reported as a candidate for the AD job at Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls Ia.

Finalists will be on campus next week and names will be public the way I read it.

http://www.kcrg.com/content/sports/UNI- ... 98871.html
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Trev is not going to UNI

They hired Iowa State’s David Harris. Currently Senior Associate Athletics Director for Student Services.

If Trev was a candidate he didn't make the cut, or withdrew, before the final three that were on campus and made public.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sport ... d-20160223
omaha79
Parks & Recreation

Post by omaha79 »

nebugeater wrote:Trev is not going to UNI

They hired Iowa State’s David Harris. Currently Senior Associate Athletics Director for Student Services.

If Trev was a candidate he didn't make the cut, or withdrew, before the final three that were on campus and made public.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sport ... d-20160223
I don't think there were ever really any legs to this rumor. Not much was ever reported about it locally. It seems like most of the rumors were coming from media that covers UNI.

The only mention of this that I could find locally were a tweet from Shatel saying...

Spoke to Trev Alberts today. Hasn't spoken to UNI and won't. Name was dropped by TV station. My take: he's got better job.

He also echoed the same thing in his column, basically saying, to paraphrase, "who ever thought we'd see the day that the UNO job is better than the Northern Iowa job?"

Now, while I agree that overall the UNO job is now comparable if not better than the UNI job, at least in facilities, ability to win, growth potential, and market, the UNI job could be appealing if Trev Alberts does eventually want to be an AD at a power 5 football school. I would say he might have to prove that he can oversee a D-I football program, before a school like Nebraska would be interested. In fact, I think he'd be 2 career stops from ever being a serious candidate at a blue blood football program. I'd say if he went to a school that has FCS football, he'd need to succeed there and then jump to a low FBS school prior to NU.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

UNO is a more prominent job at this point than UNI considering they have a major D1 hockey program.
Greg S
City Council

UNO Maverick Athletics

Post by Greg S »

Bob Herold has been fired as UNO's baseball coach.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Re: UNO Baseball Stadium

Post by cp jay 07 »

cp jay 07 wrote:I know Bobby is so against playing at Werner so I do find it interesting if they are truly done with Boys town if that means something with Bobby being gone

Werner Park announcement tomorrow?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Bob Herold has been fired as UNO's baseball coach.

Greg

Alberts Announces Baseball Coaching Staff Changes

http://www.omavs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?D ... =211062091
www.omavs.com wrote:OMAHA, Neb. -- Vice Chancellor for Athletics Trev Alberts announced Monday that he has made a change in the leadership of the Omaha baseball program, effective immediately. Bob Herold is no longer head coach of the Maverick program, while former assistant coach Evan Porter has been named interim head coach.

"I appreciate Coach Herold's 17 years of service and commitment to our university, but I have decided to make a change to the coaching staff of our baseball team," Alberts said. "I wish Coach Herold well in his future endeavors.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

cp jay 07 wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:I know Bobby is so against playing at Werner so I do find it interesting if they are truly done with Boys town if that means something with Bobby being gone

Werner Park announcement tomorrow?

Either something "bad" happened to trigger this or UNO is having major budget issues again. At least that's my best guess. I think he did a fantastic job as a baseball coach under very trying conditions.

Greg