UNO Maverick Athletics

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

DTO Luv wrote:Yes a D1 UNO basketball team would start out a loser. But UNO has advantages over CU. It's a bigger school and more affordable.
But Creighton is/will be in a much better conference, with a loyal alumni base filled of professionals (doctors/lawyers). And the cost difference doesn't matter when anyone seeing significent playing time is on scholarship anyway...

Plus those same "advantages" you cite apply to a certain school 50 miles down I-80. How's that worked out for them lately, or even historically - which university in this state has actually won an NCAA tournament game in basketball?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

While not currently supporting furure financial benifits to UNO, the Beef Club is trying to set an attendance record at UNO's season opener this weekend.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There was a big story on UNO on Saturday mornings paper. A study came back saying they need to dump a lot of money in to promoting the Hockey program, then when the lease is up with the Qwest they need to build their own Arena on the Chili Greens property. I am sure I am missing a lot, but I can't find the story online. I will look again tomorrow.

All I know is that the Chili Greens arena proposed better not be "on campus" No beer = No fans!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:There was a big story on UNO on Saturday mornings paper. A study came back saying they need to dump a lot of money in to promoting the Hockey program, then when the lease is up with the Qwest they need to build their own Arena on the Chili Greens property.
The Study also recomended that UNO stay in DII and switch conferences..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
The Study also recomended that UNO stay in DII and switch conferences..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
I can't remember D2 for ever or until the finances are straightened up?
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Brad I think this is the article you are talking about, but it may need its
own thread, because there are definitely some intriguing tidbits in it.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2239281

Makes you think, since they speak of this arena as a replacement of the Civic, what happens to the Civic?

I am guessing UNO moves out of Qwest, Knights move to Qwest and Mavs move to their own arena, which leaves the Civic empty. Is this the end of the road for the Civic, if this all comes to fruition?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thats the one.

But is just fine right here. No need to cludder up the site with too many threads. We have been having great discussion right here. LETS KEEP IT HERE!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Welcome to the forum CapitalGuy.

Though I'm having a hard time believing the solution to UNO's financial problems... is the construction of a new on-campus arena. What? Do they think it would be that much of an insult to move back to the Civic? I guess if the UNO movers and shakers are willing to fund yet another metro arena, then more power to them.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They could spend some of the money hey would spend on a new arena and buy a Qwest Style scoreboard/ video board, new lighting and a new sound system and he civic would be great!
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Well, if they build the new arena at least a majority of the cost will be shouldered by private donors (although I would expect that some state and city money will be used). I think two positives of a new arena at Chili Greens would be the closer proximity to the growing on campus student population and possibly another "anchor" to the Aksarben development. Whatever they do at Chili Greens, I hope they do it right. I am looking for something along the lines of Englestad up in North Dakota. Maybe not quite is much glitz, but something that is going to get recruits' attention. I am not sure how I like Qwest as a hockey arena, but an arena designed solely for hockey is bound to be better. As I said before though, is this the end for the Civic? If it is that is 4 square blocks of prime development land up for grabs if it is demolished.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I am looking for something along the lines of Englestad up in North Dakota.
then UNO better find their millionaire to donate and build it like UND had. :D
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote: I can't remember D2 for ever or until the finances are straightened up?
I believe the insinuation is DII for now (there was no mention of a possible move up to DIAA down the line)..And 'now' could mean 10-15 more years..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Commissioner: UNO Would Be Welcome In MIAA
KETV wrote:The commissioner of the Mid-American Intercollegiate Athletics Association said he is open to the idea of the University of Nebraska-Omaha joining. Last week, former U.S. Sen. David Karnes presented findings from a study of UNO's financial situation, and recommended, among other things that the university pursue a move to the MIAA.

"Certainly, they have one of the top football programs in Division II, and I know all the other sports are very strong, too, so certainly they would be a team and teams to be recognized with when they come into the MIAA," McFillen said. McFillen said UNO would be a good fit for his conference, both competitively and geographically.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

UNO Football coach Pat Behrns said a move to the MIAA is not where the university's focus should be.

"In my mind, we've got other issues we've got to deal with," Behrns said. "I think the first thing that we've got to do is deal with our budget issues, and then think about the future. Because if we don't deal with our budget issues, we aren't going to have a future. They'll follow you wherever you go. I'd sure hate to have them follow us if we'd go into a league like that."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I was going to post that part but then I split the Funding controversy into a new thread: UNO Athletic Dept Funds
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Belek Just Resigened -- Effective Immediately!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Belek Just Resigened -- Effective Immediately!
Yahooo..

Ding-dong the witch is..GONE!..

Credit the W-H and Travis Justice for exposing this individuals blatent mismanagement of the UNO athletic department..

Her resignation was coming and appropriate..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From the W-H:

'Nancy Belck - the chancellor who saw UNO through a decade of unprecedented transformation and growth - resigned her post today in the face of controversy over her alteration of an expense record.

It was soon revealed by UNO officials that the deficits in athletics had been going on for five years, prompting Belck to divert $2 million in university funds to athletics to keep the department afloat.

After prevailing in a public records dispute, The World-Herald last week published the full extent of Buck's spending of university funds. He spent thousands of dollars on trips to the NCAA Final Four, travel by his wife, expensive dinners and golf outings, even billing athletics for his own charitable donations to the department.

The records also included an expensive dinner Belck, Buck and their spouses hosted at the 2004 NCAA convention at one of Nashville's finest restaurants. The tab was $1,263 for eight people.'..

"As a metropolitan university, UNO must continue to move forward," Belck said.

.."I believe removing myself from this controversy is the most appropriate course of action," she said.'

The complete W-H story link:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1640&u_sid=2241083

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Travis just brought up a crazy idea, Combine UNO and UNMC in to one big school, then go D1 in all sports.

I like it! We could draw in some serious athletes and money.

What should it be?
Nebraska State or Omaha University?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Brad wrote:Travis just brought up a crazy idea, Combine UNO and UNMC in to one big school, then go D1 in all sports.

I like it! We could draw in some serious athletes and money.

What should it be?
Nebraska State or Omaha University?
I kind of like the idea..I don't know if it's at all feasible..But my initial reaction to the idea is positive..The name?..I like 'old school' in this regard..Bring back old Omaha U..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

West Dodge High?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It appears we have 2 simultaneous disscussiona going on in 2 UNO threads..I locked the other one so we may continue the discussion in one place..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lou - I separated that other discussion from this one. This thread is about UNO going D1AA - The other one was about misappropriations of funds - two separate topics.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Mark-

I unlocked the other one..

We've kind of been talking about the misappropriation of funds and the Belek story in this thread as well..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

But I beat both Brad and you on those breaking news posts over there. :P
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:But I beat both Brad and you on those breaking news posts over there. :P
You cheated..

:lol: ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

No - it is just after a pot of coffee - I am real quick in the morning! My typing skills really benefit from caffeine!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I running to Starbucks and get a 5 shot Americano then..But wait..

I have to go to bed soon..Never mind..

The Coyote always works faster than the average human!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This one started as a spin off of the other one. I thought the other one was locked months ago. This one was started for the poll after a night of too much coffee at starbucks and Lou and I decided we should have a poll.

You could probably get away with locking the other one becuase the misapproation of funs started with the athletic department. These two threads are soooo intertwined.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I hear you..And I remember our poll spin-off discussion..I had completely forgot that one..We'll just move the discussion over here Brad..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

No - I broke these apart yesterday. Again - this thread is a poll about UNO going D1AA - the other is about the scandal.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I give up..

Where's the white flag emocicon when I need it..I'm off for some zzzzz's..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mavs see positives in arena on campus
Omaha World Herald wrote:And Karnes even said the proposed 8,000-seat facility, which could be located on the former Chili Greens golf course off Center Street, is still mostly "a dream" in concept. For his part, Kemp said he can't get too caught up in that dream. UNO has seven years remaining on its Qwest Center Omaha lease, and Kemp said the school has to focus on making that time as successful as possible.

Still, Qwest Center Omaha remains hugely popular with the Mavericks players, and the NHL-style building has been a key recruiting tool for UNO - which made its first NCAA tournament appearance last season behind one of the most talented clubs in school history.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Nancy Belck resigned! It was on tv this morning.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Nancy Belck resigned! It was on tv this morning.
Don't make me call you jake :lol: but jake we have been talking about this since yesterday morning.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I saw the other thread after I posted that. :)
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lets hope UNO a Chancellor from a School with D1 Sports and they Fire current AD (and co-conspiritor) and hire a AD that is currently an assistant at a Division ONE program that has a D1 Hockey Program and a D1 Football Program.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

co-conspirator of what? :?:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Uffda wrote:co-conspirator of what? :?:
Leeting them use booster funds for non athletic purposes.