UNO Maverick Athletics

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

It's going to be tough to recruit good D-1 soccer talent to UNO when you have a top 10 program, with one of the nicest stadiums in America, and a coach considered by many to be the best in business right down the street.

I can see it now, UNO gets a recruit in town, picks them up at Epply and starts driving them down I-480 towards UNO and the UNO soccer coach will have to black out the passenger side windows or tell the recruit to look out the drivers side window and notice the run down Civic, home of UNO basketball, to not let the recruit see Morrison Stadium right off the interstate.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cp jay 07 wrote:It's going to be tough to recruit good D-1 soccer talent to UNO when you have a top 10 program, with one of the nicest stadiums in America, and a coach considered by many to be the best in business right down the street.

I can see it now, UNO gets a recruit in town, picks them up at Epply and starts driving them down I-480 towards UNO and the UNO soccer coach will have to black out the passenger side windows or tell the recruit to look out the drivers side window and notice the run down Civic, home of UNO basketball, to not let the recruit see Morrison Stadium right off the interstate.
For that post we need a LIKE button

:like:
Last edited by nebugeater on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

nebugeater wrote:For that post we need a LIKE button
New Emoticon:    :like:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

cp jay 07 wrote:It's going to be tough to recruit good D-1 soccer talent to UNO when you have a top 10 program, with one of the nicest stadiums in America, and a coach considered by many to be the best in business right down the street.

Not to mention Qwest Center and TD Ameritrade Park for basketball and baseball.  UNO's facilitates are decades behind CU, but if they do the complex they want at Chili Green's the right way they will be better than most of the rest of the Summit whatever that is worth.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Agreed.  I stated this previously but the only thing that will get UNO to have a good following is if they build a midsized arena with a good atmosphere, and more importantly a place to call home on campus.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

iamjacobm wrote:

Not to mention Qwest Center and TD Ameritrade Park for basketball and baseball.  UNO's facilitates are decades behind CU, but if they do the complex they want at Chili Green's the right way they will be better than most of the rest of the Summit whatever that is worth.
I thought about that but since the Qwest and TDA are rented out and not owned by CU I though I better leave those out since technically UNO could play at either of those stadiums if they wanted to and had the money to, and how CU's rivals, mainly WSU, love to point out we have to pay to play at the Qwest.

UNO could very well play bball at the Qwest, of course 800 parents and friends at the Q for a bball game would look about as silly as 5,000 fans for a hockey game there, something UNO is familiar with.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

cp jay 07 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:

I thought about that but since the Qwest and TDA are rented out and not owned by CU I though I better leave those out since technically UNO could play at either of those stadiums if they wanted to and had the money to, and how CU's rivals, mainly WSU, love to point out we have to pay to play at the Qwest.

UNO could very well play bball at the Qwest, of course 800 parents and friends at the Q for a bball game would look about as silly as 5,000 fans for a hockey game there, something UNO is familiar with.
They could play there, but it is pretty common knowledge that their goal is to have "on-campus" facilities.  As much as being 2 miles away from the main campus, but being called on campus can be.

I can see recruits going oooo look at those two awesome facilities that we won't be playing at.  I figured because UNO has about a 1% chance of actually using those facilities I would add them, b/c CU uses the Qwest to recruit players.

And for what it is worth UNO hockey has the 4th highest attendance in the country, too bad that still only fills Qwest halfway anyways.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Not good to make one of your top boosters upset

Sokol: Mavs sacrificed for Huskers

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110315/N ... or-huskers

One of the University of Nebraska at Omaha's top athletic boosters on Monday blasted the school's plan to drop football, saying he's convinced that political concerns about protecting the Cornhuskers did in the Mavericks.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Not sure I buy the conspiracy theory (fun to talk about, though!), but not contacting one of your biggest donors about possibly helping raise funds for the move to 1-AA?  Don't sit there at a press conference with a straight face and tell us you looked at every scenario and there was no way to make it work.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Uffda wrote:saying he's convinced that political concerns about protecting the Cornhuskers did in the Mavericks.
I'm sure that's one of the considerations. It's painfully obvious, actually.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Uffda wrote:Not good to make one of your top boosters upset

Sokol: Mavs sacrificed for Huskers

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110315/N ... or-huskers

One of the University of Nebraska at Omaha's top athletic boosters on Monday blasted the school's plan to drop football, saying he's convinced that political concerns about protecting the Cornhuskers did in the Mavericks.
Wow.  Talk about a stretch for something to complain about.  I really don't see UNO being to big of a threat.  Clearly, any player offered a scholarship would choose Nebraska over UNO.  The only athlete you would have to worry about is the one you want to walk on, which is something Nebraska already competes over.  I don't see Nebraska being too worried from a donation standpoint.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

but not contacting one of your biggest donors about possibly helping raise funds for the move to 1-AA?
I agree with you there. It sounds like Sokol has made huge financial contributions to UNO athletics and then you don't even let him know what is going on?  Sounds like Albert needs some lessons on PR and keeping boosters happy.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

joeglow wrote:I really don't see UNO being to big of a threat.
I wasn't referring to the recruiting of players as the threat.

The threat I see is the competition for attendees, particularly if there's a home game at both of the stadiums (stadia?) on the same Saturday. If high-power football is available here in Omaha, that means less of a demand for it in Lincoln. If you live in sight of I-80, you know the Saturday exodus ritual. I don't know the actual numbers but I daresay a good portion of those seats in Lincoln are filled by fans from Omaha.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

It kind of reminds of the colleges in WYoming where i lived for quite awhile.  There is only one 4 yr college -- U of WY. but there are several junior colleges that have been successful in sports -- basketball and volleyball. Anytime one of them suggested moving to a 4 yr program there was always the argument that they need to protect U of WY programs and athletics.  

Neb's university program has more 4 yr colleges but UNL  seems to be looked after first.

I guess I wonder why it is thought of separately from the others instead of all of them being under one shell - one example - students at UNL can buy Office for like $10-15, but told UNO students pay $50-60 - why it is the same university system - but that is getting away from the point
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Omababe wrote:

The threat I see is the competition for attendees, particularly if there's a home game at both of the stadiums (stadia?) on the same Saturday. If high-power football is available here in Omaha, that means less of a demand for it in Lincoln. If you live in sight of I-80, you know the Saturday exodus ritual. I don't know the actual numbers but I daresay a good portion of those seats in Lincoln are filled by fans from Omaha.
A ton are filled from Omaha try to drive west on I-80 on game day.  But the thing is these people are Husker fans not just football fans.  Find me a single person that would give up one of their tickets to a Big 10 match-up to stay in Omaha and see UNO vs. Northern Iowa b/c I have a hard time imagining anyone doing that.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Omababe wrote:

Again, NO threat whatsoever.  There is a world of difference between FBS and FCS teams.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110316/N ... eye-on-uno
Douple also said he expects that Omaha ultimately would bid to host the Summit's annual men's basketball tournament, held for the past three years in Sioux Falls, S.D.
One definite positive that could come out of this.  This could be a really cool yearly event if Omaha can keep it around for a while.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I totally agree with Sokol/Van Deeb... this was all about squashing any threat UNO may have presented to the flagship football program.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Stargazer wrote:I totally agree with Sokol/Van Deeb... this was all about squashing any threat UNO may have presented to the flagship football program.
And what threat is that?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

No threat today... but as years go by... yes, I think a D1 UNO football program could be a threat.

Definitely where the walk on program is concerned, as cited as well... in that regard... a threat immediately.

Given the influence Lincoln has over UNO... of course they squash the threat today.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Stargazer wrote:No threat today... but as years go by... yes, I think a D1 UNO football program could be a threat.

Definitely where the walk on program is concerned, as cited as well... in that regard... a threat immediately.

Given the influence Lincoln has over UNO... of course they squash the threat today.
Bleh.  I still don't see it.  TO wanted my cousin to walk on in the 1990's.  He choose to take a full ride to USD.  This "threat" is nothing new and would not be any worse.  Again, there is a world of difference between FBS & FCS.   This is akin to saying Nebraska could be threatened by IWCC's football team because they could get better in their division.  Makes for a great conspiracy for those who don't like UNL, but pretty much no basis in fact.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Joe... we all know the only motivation you have in justifying the elimination of UNO's football program/contraction of the athletic program/university system in general.

And it has nothing to do with your lack of knowledge/interest in the realm of college sports.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Stargazer wrote:Joe... we all know the only motivation you have in justifying the elimination of UNO's football program/contraction of the athletic program/university system in general.

And it has nothing to do with your lack of knowledge/interest in the realm of college sports.
You got me.  I am really worried about a FCS UNO taking down Nebraska.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

joeglow wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Joe... we all know the only motivation you have in justifying the elimination of UNO's football program/contraction of the athletic program/university system in general.

That's what the Michigan fan said before the Appalachian State game in 2007.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

cp jay 07 wrote:
If you think the coach of the Weasels felt bad -- consider this scenario ...

Third quarter, UNL v. UNO. Lopsided score, UNO favor, lotsa turnovers and dumb plays.

Bo on the sidelines going ballistic and throwing a major tantrum!

Not probable, but indeed possible. :)
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

cp jay 07 wrote:
joeglow wrote:

Really?  Let me ask that again: REALLY????  

What is the combined record of D1AA/FCS teams against D1/FBS teams?  What is the combined record against the Major conferences?  What is the combined record against top 20 programs?  The conspiracy theories people come up with to fuel their dislike of Nebraska football is flat out laughable.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

joeglow wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:
joeglow wrote:

What is the combined record of D1AA/FCS teams against D1/FBS teams?  What is the combined record against the Major conferences?  What is the combined record against top 20 programs?  The conspiracy theories people come up with to fuel their dislike of Nebraska football is flat out laughable.
Didn't Summit league member and former NCC member South Dakota State play the huskers close this year? In fact I believe it was 14-3 at one point and the final was 17-3. Im not saying UNO would beat UNL every year but to think that for some years the game won't be close and UNO has a chance to win is crazy. The gap between D-1A and D-IAA is closer than people think. Look over at Iowa, UNI can and has given Iowa and Iowa State a good game every year.

Oh and ask VT fan about how easy a D-1AA team is. I think husker fan thinking they are the greatest team in the universe is laughable.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

cp jay 07 wrote:
joeglow wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:
joeglow wrote:

Didn't Summit league member and former NCC member South Dakota State play the huskers close this year? In fact I believe it was 14-3 at one point and the final was 17-3. Im not saying UNO would beat UNL every year but to think that for some years the game won't be close and UNO has a chance to win is crazy. The gap between D-1A and D-IAA is closer than people think. Look over at Iowa, UNI can and has given Iowa and Iowa State a good game every year.

Oh and ask VT fan about how easy a D-1AA team is. I think husker fan thinking they are the greatest team in the universe is laughable.
No one said they are the "greatest team in the universe."  However, Nebraska will play the same number of football games EVERY year, regardless of if UNO has a football team or not.  No matter what happens, UNO would NEVER be a threat in recruiting.  Even if UNO played Nebraska, the odds of them winning would be no greater than the aforementioned SD State.  Thus, UNO having a FCS team would change NOTHING in the landscape for Nebraska football.

Oh, and Creighton fans think their teams are the greatest ever because they say they are not threatened by Iowa Western.  Give me a freakin break.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

I can't help but laugh at people throwing out these conspiracy theories about UNL being why UNO football was quashed.  Please, show me ANY proof.  Something other than Sokol's BS hersay.  There's a reason that's not admissible in court.  In any case, it's nonsense.  Yes, UNO would put a dent in UNL's walk-on program and potentially the scholarship players, but no more than Iowa State does to Iowa.  Kids look at MANY MANY different factors when it comes to where they are playing football.  Burkehead came to UNL primarily because of Ron Brown and the religious environments that he and some of the players set.  Facilities in UNO will almost certainly never be the level that UNL's are at.  Just a few examples.

As far as filling the stadium....there's what, a 1-3 year wait for season tickets to the Huskers.  Anybody that might bail to go to UNO, which I do find unlikely, would quickly be filled.  The Huskers have been sold out for 300+ games....UNOs attendance is anemic.  Which is really too bad, because their games are fun.  People should be pointing fingers at the marketing department for UNO and yes....the fans themselves.  For UNO to bring football into their new division they'd have to add an additional $3Mill for scholarships and upgrade their facilities.  That's a lot of money to dedicate to a program that can't even fill their current stadium.

Yes, nobody likes in-house competition, but anything that gives student athletes an opportunity to play their sport and go to school is a good thing.  UNO provided that for athletes that weren't sought after by upper tier schools or couldn't afford to walk-on.  If anyone really believes that TO, as the AD of UNL, would actively discourage that opportunity for kids then they don't know TO.

And of course, if UNO went D-I and played UNL I'm certain that at some point or another they would play the Huskers close and/or beat them.  If the parity in college football the last few years have taught us anything it's that any team can lose despite how good everyone thinks they are.

The sad thing is, while people are spending time ranting about this nonsense, they're not spending time on the stuff that will actually make a difference.  Beat up Trev, beat up the regents, beat up the fans (attendance and donations), fundraisers, etc.  But no....let's whine about big bad UNL, which of course will solve....absolutely nothing.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110324/N ... -be-costly
The $1.3 million required to bring football spending to the league average doesn't include other costs UNO would face, including facilities upgrades and funding of women's sports for gender equity.

There's a reason those football schools on average need $7.4 million annually in tuition, tax and fee money to fund their athletic departments, more than $2 million above what UNO currently provides to athletics.
There's a pretty good analysis of what the "real" costs would be to make the move in this article.  I don't dispute any of them, and it seems that the increase cost would be somewhere in the neighborhood of a few million.  By no means insurmountable with some decent PR and marketing (and, yes, beer sales at Ameritrade).

What I am going to point out (again) is that in all of the cost analysis, NO ONE is pointing out that they are comparing revenues from a D1 product v revenues from a D2 product, and apparently assuming there would be no increase in interest if UNO were fielding a D1 product.

Yeah, you have to increase revenue.  Guess what?  You have a much better product to sell.  It would be like Burger King closing it's doors because they can't charge what the Paxton can.  I'm sure no one took that in to consideration when running the basketball numbers, right?

I'd be curious to know what UNO hockey would generate in revenue if it were playing a division lower.
Burkehead came to UNL primarily because of Ron Brown and the religious environments that he and some of the players set.
As an aside, anyone want to place over/unders on when UNL ends up having it's own Air Force Team Jesus moment?  (Google it.)
lnkS
Home Owners Association

Post by lnkS »

Big E wrote:
Burkehead came to UNL primarily because of Ron Brown and the religious environments that he and some of the players set.
As an aside, anyone want to place over/unders on when UNL ends up having it's own Air Force Team Jesus moment?  (Google it.)
I wonder how Ron Brown feels about the commitment of Ameer Abdullah?  I predict that he tries to convert him in less than one week.    :)
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Big E wrote:http://www.omaha.com/article/20110324/N ... -be-costly
The $1.3 million required to bring football spending to the league average doesn't include other costs UNO would face, including facilities upgrades and funding of women's sports for gender equity.

There's a reason those football schools on average need $7.4 million annually in tuition, tax and fee money to fund their athletic departments, more than $2 million above what UNO currently provides to athletics.
There's a pretty good analysis of what the "real" costs would be to make the move in this article.  I don't dispute any of them, and it seems that the increase cost would be somewhere in the neighborhood of a few million.  By no means insurmountable with some decent PR and marketing (and, yes, beer sales at Ameritrade).

What I am going to point out (again) is that in all of the cost analysis, NO ONE is pointing out that they are comparing revenues from a D1 product v revenues from a D2 product, and apparently assuming there would be no increase in interest if UNO were fielding a D1 product.

Yeah, you have to increase revenue.  Guess what?  You have a much better product to sell.  It would be like Burger King closing it's doors because they can't charge what the Paxton can.  I'm sure no one took that in to consideration when running the basketball numbers, right?

I'd be curious to know what UNO hockey would generate in revenue if it were playing a division lower.
Considering the Lancers draw 3k, a D-3 UNO hockey program still would probably generate more revenue than UNO's football program does. They wouldn't be playing at the Qwest Center, though.

As for the D1 product you point out, there is a world of difference between a D1-AA product that UNO would sponsor versus the D1-A BCS level product that Nebraska-Lincoln offers. Frankly, there isn't much difference between the D2 and the D1-AA product. It's still names you don't really recognize or care about.

You might get a few more people in with beer downtown playing on a baseball field, but it depends on what Nebraska is doing that day. The Nighthawks never tried to have a home game the same day as a Husker game.  I dare say that unless Nebraska kicked off in the morning, the Nighthawks would struggle to fill half the seats on a Husker gameday. (Especially a home Husker game.)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

HskrFanMike wrote:Considering the Lancers draw 3k, a D-3 UNO hockey program still would probably generate more revenue than UNO's football program does. They wouldn't be playing at the Qwest Center, though.
This is kind of my point.  There's exactly zero apples to apples comparison going on.  Put the Lancers on a college campus and remove the beer sales and see who shows up.  Put Div-III UNO hockey in the Civic and sell beer and I'm not surprised they would outdraw D-II football with no beer.  Put D-1AA football at Ameritrade with beer and you're golden (or Golden Light).

I really think that unless UNO and UNL were both at home and actually overlapping times you're not going to have a problem.  Additionally, unless the Big Ten completely changes its MO, they absolutely LOVE the 12 PM eastern kickoff slot with very little TV competition.  The only time the Big Ten plays at night is if it is a serious out of conference marquee game.  Even then they put OSU-Michigan on early.  UNO shouldn't have too much trouble scheduling around that.

Oh well.  More money for streetcars, I guess.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Has anyone considered how many millions and millions of dollars the UNL program has taken in from private donations?

They didn't even give the private sector a chance to step up in the case of UNO.

For crying out loud... bank on a few hundred thousand from annual UNL-UNO game alone... money we could have kept in the state.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:They didn't even give the private sector a chance to step up in the case of UNO.
Bing-|expletive|-O, right there.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

I think those numbers make sense, but your biggest problem is getting people to actually show up.  I don't know why, but there just doesn't seem to be any interest in UNO Football.  I've gotten a handful of free tickets on more than one occasion and was never able to get anyone to go with me.  FREE tickets...no takers.  W T F?  I think beer would help, but I don't know that it'd be enough.  I don't have any better suggestions though....

I understand there was some regents meeting or something this morning that someone was trying to organize a "rally" for....or something.  Anyone know how that turned out?
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So, we are being conservative by saying UNO could charge more for tickets than many D1 schools in the 6 major conferences?  Okay.
I used attendance numbers and ticket prices from Youngstown State's own website there for a comparison, and I see no reason UNO couldn't start or beat them.

Which BCS schools are charging less than $25 (on average)?  Free tickets for Baylor hosting Sam Houston State aren't exactly the barometer I'm using.
Twiztid1 wrote:And you think UNO would get any of the concession revenue, let alone alcohol sales?
I'm saying you would have higher attendance because of alcohol sales.  heck, UNO drew 13,000 against UNK a few years ago.  You think Northern Iowa wouldn't draw?  Missouri State?  Southern Illinois?  Believe it or not, these teams have fans that travel.
I think those numbers make sense, but your biggest problem is getting people to actually show up. I don't know why, but there just doesn't seem to be any interest in UNO Football.
Because they are currently division two.  Because there are currently no alcohol sales.  Because it is currently a third tier product.  Because it is obvious the department doesn't care.

Work the |expletive| thing.

I honestly think you would have at LEAST as much demand as for the Nighthawks.  "Blah blah blah the UFL is going to fold."  No doubt, but there was a product on a field in Omaha that was supported.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The whole thing makes me sick... isn't their inclusion of wrestling alone in this... proof enough that they picked and chose what they didn't want conflicting with Lincoln??
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Isn't it kinda strange that wrestling is getting all of the media attention here?