Creighton Soccer

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

adamadanderson
New to the Neighborhood

Post by adamadanderson »

Tomorrow's game will now make it easy for all the students and fans to head on over to the basketball game after.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Hopefully CU will make South Florida's stay in frigid Omaha that much worse with a loss.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton Soccer makes the Wall Street Journal!

In Soccer, the Little Schools Rule
Ben Cohen of the Wall Street Journal wrote:When Creighton hired Elmar Bolowich last February to be its men's soccer coach, this school of 4,000 undergraduates in Omaha, Neb., didn't just manage to land a respectable steward for its program. It basically upended the entire space-time continuum of college sports.

Never was that more apparent than when Bolowich left North Carolina, where he'd been coach for 22 years. In Chapel Hill, men's soccer takes a backseat in autumn to football and even women's soccer, which has 20 NCAA titles. Last year, according to government data, North Carolina spent about $75,000 in game-day expenses for men's soccer while Creighton allocated about $160,000.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Finlay scores at  96'. Off to the College Cup to play UCLA! UNC will play Charlotte.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Coyote wrote:Finlay scores at  96'. Off to the College Cup to play UCLA! UNC will play Charlotte.
GOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLL!!!!!!

[youtube][/youtube]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

sweet :yes:
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

For those with Cox, you can watch tonight's game on ESPN3.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A typical CU game - 0-0 after the first half.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Coming down to penalty kicks...
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Bummer, CU loses at the end.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ShawJ wrote:Bummer, CU loses at the end.
Creighton had all the opportunities in the world.  Great season none the less and I am very excited for the future of the program.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Sorry soccer fans, but determining a winner on penalty kicks has to be the single dumbest thing in all of sports.

Yes, dumber than the BCS.
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Tough loss, but it's been an impressive season and I can't wait for next year!  Also, from what I hear, new turf is in store for Morrison. Hopefully that will go with a repair job on the scoreboard.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Big E wrote:Sorry soccer fans, but determining a winner on penalty kicks has to be the single dumbest thing in all of sports.

Agreed.

Creighton wins if they play till a goal, no doubt in my mind.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Big E wrote:Sorry soccer fans, but determining a winner on penalty kicks has to be the single dumbest thing in all of sports.

Holy |expletive| thats how they determined the game?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think soccer would be somewhat more interesting if they would even just add a few feet to either end of the goal... make it a higher scoring game.  It is so depressing watching a team meticulously work their way down the field... only to see them come away empty handed over and over again.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Stargazer wrote:I think soccer would be somewhat more interesting if they would even just add a few feet to either end of the goal... make it a higher scoring game.  It is so depressing watching a team meticulously work their way down the field... only to see them come away empty handed over and over again.
I don't not agree with you, I would just love to see a soccer enthusiast's face when they read this.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Linkin5 wrote:Holy |expletive| thats how they determined the game?
After two overtimes of actual soccer, they went to the sporting equivalent of beer pong in the national semifinals.

I can see doing that in the regular season in the interest of getting the game over due to travel and budget, but come on...  Not a good way to build interest in your sport with the American viewing audience.
Stable genius.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Stargazer wrote:I think soccer would be somewhat more interesting if they would even just add a few feet to either end of the goal... make it a higher scoring game.  It is so depressing watching a team meticulously work their way down the field... only to see them come away empty handed over and over again.

No. :evil:  And it's not depressing, but all the more rewarding when goals are "earned".  We shouldn't change a sport to cater to America's short instant gratification tension span.

In Creighton's case, it's all the more frustrating to lose on penalty kicks to a team you've dominated.

The one thing I hate about college football, is the stupid score inflating overtime.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebport5 wrote:

No. :evil:  And it's not depressing, but all the more rewarding when goals are "earned".  We shouldn't change a sport to cater to America's short instant gratification tension span.

In Creighton's case, it's all the more frustrating to lose on penalty kicks to a team you've dominated.

The one thing I hate about college football, is the stupid score inflating overtime.
You are the first person I have ever heard complain about college football overtime.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Big E wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Holy |expletive| thats how they determined the game?
After two overtimes of actual soccer, they went to the sporting equivalent of beer pong in the national semifinals.

I can see doing that in the regular season in the interest of getting the game over due to travel and budget, but come on...  Not a good way to build interest in your sport with the American viewing audience.

Don't they do the same in the World Cup?

I hate shoot outs for playoffs or championship events.

Greg
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Greg S wrote:Don't they do the same in the World Cup?
I believe so.  And then they take off their shirts to show off their sports bras.
Stable genius.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Linkin5 wrote:
nebport5 wrote:

You are the first person I have ever heard complain about college football overtime.

Yeah, well I'd rather watch an extra 15 min quarter of real football rather than 3 overtimes of feeble defense artificially inflated scores.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNC beat UCLA 3-1 on penalty kicks and will play Charlotte in the finals.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Well I hope while Coach Bolowich is finding his was back from the Alaska wilderness, he figures out a way to produce more offense to complement his team's fine defense. :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

College Hockey they just keep playing.  We saw 3 overtimes one Sunday night at the Qwest Center!
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Trust me, we feel the exact same way. Creighton out played them by far and yet... well that. It will be interesting to see what happens to the team next year, and I doubt it will be good.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Linkin5 wrote:
nebport5 wrote:

Really? It all but eliminates 1/3rd of the game (kickoffs and punts) and it rewards offenses more than defenses by eliminating the battle for field position.

It's better than penalty kicks in soccer or shootouts in hockey (I'm looking at you, Winter Olympics), but there have been plenty of valid criticisms of it over the years.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Except it wouldn't really help. The problem isn't a lack of goals, it's a lack of scoring opportunities, period. The ratio of scoring chances to actual goals in soccer isn't really all that much lower than hockey's; it's just hockey you see a lot more scoring opportunities.

If you really want to up scoring, take 1 or 2 players off the field so that it's harder to simply cram up the box with bodies.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Four Men's Soccer Players Picked in MLS SuperDraft
Go Creighton wrote:Four Creighton men's soccer players were selected in the 2012 Major League Soccer SuperDraft held Thursday in Kansas City.  Creighton tied Louisville with the most players taken this year, while the Bluejays tied their school record with four picks in the SuperDraft.  Ethan Finlay and Andrew Duran were selected in the first round by Columbus and Seattle, respectively, while New England took Tyler Polak and Philadelphia picked Greg Jordan in the second round.  Creighton remains the only college program in the nation to have at least one player drafted into MLS since the league's inception.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NSCAA/Continental Tire NCAA Division I Men's - National - Pre-Season Ranking

Rank School      Prev. W-L-T
1 North Carolina         1 21-2-3
2 UCLA                 3 18-4-2
3 Creighton                 4 21-2-1
4 Connecticut         5 19-3-3
5 South Florida         6 13-4-4
6 New Mexico         8 18-0-4
7 Louisville                 7 14-7-2
8 Charlotte                 2 16-5-4
9 Maryland                 9 14-4-3
10 Akron                11 15-4-4
11 UC Santa Barbara 12 15-7-1
12 Indiana                10 13-4-5
13 UC Irvine                13 16-6-1
14 Boston College        15 14-6-1
15 St. John's                18 14-7-2
16 SMU                        19 13-7-1
17 Coastal Carolina 16 18-4-0
18 Saint Mary's (Calif.) 14 11-7-5
19 James Madison        20 13-5-2
20 Northwestern        22 11-5-5
21 UAB                        21 13-5-3
22 Brown                17 12-5-3
23 Old Dominion        24 12-6-2
24 Furman                RV 14-4-4
25 Bradley                25 15-6-2
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Men's Soccer Tabbed Preseason MVC Favorites
Go Creighton wrote:Creighton leads all Valley teams with four representatives on the 2012 MVC Preseason All-Conference Team.  Seniors Jose Gomez and Andrew Ribeiro are joined by junior Bruno Castro and sophomore Eric Miller on the preseason team.  Each of Creighton's four preseason All-Conference team members also were recognized following the 2011 season.  Castro and Gomez were 2011 All-MVC Second Teamers, Ribeiro received All-MVC Honorable Mention, while Miller was on the All-MVC Freshman Team.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

After 7 straight wins CU is back to #16.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Men's Soccer Claims Multiple MVC Honors

GoCreighton wrote:Senior co-captain Jose Gomez became the 11th player in program history to take home MVC Player of the Year Honors. The Bluejays have won the award on 12 occasions as Ethan Finlay earned the accolade for a second time last season.

Fellow senior co-captain Andrew Ribeiro claimed MVC Defensive Player of the Year recognition. It marks the ninth time that a CU player won claimed the award.

The MVC recognized CU's Timo Pitter as the Freshman of the Year. Creighton first-year players have claimed four of the last five freshman honors in the league. Pitter is the seventh Bluejay to earn the laurel.

Sophomore midfielder Eric Miller joined Gomez, Ribeiro and Pitter on the MVC First Team.  Sophomore Jose Ribas was the only CU member of the MVC Second Team. Freshman defender Brendan Hines-Ike joined Pitter on the MVC All-Freshman team this year.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Gooooooooooooal!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MVC Champions!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome!  Nice Work Creighton!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton gets the 12th seed in the tournament, and a first round bye, setting a possible match against 5th seed Akron.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

#12 CU defeats U Dub 4-2. Up next #5 Akron.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

CU beats Akron 5-4 on penalty kicks. UConn is next.