Creighton Bluejays 2006-2007 Season

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

You should see them when they do that "electric blue" image.
Simply awesome - I wish they did it more.
That floor strip is also totally cool. Brad suggested that they do that behind the floorboards on hockey setups.
The atmosphere for the Xavier game was electric!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Stargazer wrote:Sneaky, isn't he.

Ah, at least there's that loyal student section. :)

hahaha so i haven't ever seen the palce that blue!  

And yeah, those floorboards mixed with the ribbon board during the entrence video!  Wow, i get goosebumps every time.  It is so cool!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just wanted to say that those are some great pics you took of the arena and game.  I thought it was a great crowd also.  There should be no doubt that there will be more games of at least that attendance when conference play starts.  And when Creighton plays Wichita State, which is always a big game, especially now that they are ranked in the top 10.  Can't wait for upcoming games!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Some more images from Saturday's Game

Another view

Post game cellebration!
From Left to Right are Forum Members

DTO-LUV, the1wags, Omaha Cowboy, Coyote, MTO and I ws taking the pic.

Matt Perault from Big Sports 590, and his beautiful little helper doing the post game show

And after all this.....

My vision looked like this....
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice shots Brad! That full stadium shot turned out well! Even if you didn't afterwards.  :P
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

anyone notice the new shot clocks? the qwest center joins a short list of other arenas that have the new 'see thru' shot clocks: charlotte, philadelphia, and memphis. surprisingly, new jersey doesnt have them. it was a letter from a new jersey nets fan, who had season tickets behind the basket, which promted the nba and daktronics to create the new shot clock. i only wish that another shot clock was set perpendicular so fans along the sidelines could see it. like this:

i also wonder if they have any other money to spend, if they'll get a new center scoreboard. dont get me wrong, its nice but i wish they'd have widescreen videoboards. that def seems to be the new trend as many new arenas have them and older ones are upgrading (such as chicago, philadelphia, minnesota, etc.). im just thinking that since our arena is so new that we should have the newest and most state-of-the-art scoreboard. i was up in minnesota about a month ago and went to a minnesota wild game (against colorado) and i really liked the xcel center. well heres their widescreen videoboard;

lastly, has anyone sat in the new section of seats? i wondered up there during the george mason game and people sitting in the upper half of the seats have their view blocked of the scoreboard by the mvc banners that are hanging. u can still see the court ok, but i would have no idea what the score was.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

sneak shot of Brad I took

15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I haven't sat in the new section yet. There were lots of people in at the Xavier game though.

I kind of like how the Qwest Center doesn't have a big, gaudy board. The arena was designed intimately enough that you don't need the visual aid you would in a more spread out arena. I've been to Xcel too and it was pretty nice. The outside is kind of a plainer Sprint Center.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

CU Men's Basketball: Fresno St. defense shuts down Creighton

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2298836
FRESNO, Calif. - Creighton's road woes continued Saturday as the Bluejays opened a long trip with a 69-54 loss to Fresno State.

The Bulldogs showcased their 3-point shooting ability, knocking down 13 shots from beyond the arc, and their athleticism, blocking 10 shots and forcing the Bluejays into numerous poor decisions.

Creighton showcased little, shooting 31.3 percent from the field and 16.7 percent on 3-pointers. The Bluejays missed all 13 of their 3-pointers in the second-half to finish 4 of 24.

"With the exception of one that Nate (Funk) took their at the end, most of our looks were good ones," Creighton coach Dana Altman said. "But a lot of them were not in the rhythm of the offense. When you're not making them, you have to make some adjustments and we didn't."

All three of Creighton's losses in a 4-3 season have come on the road - at Nebraska, at Dayton and Saturday before 12,417 in Fresno.

Associated Press Photo:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They've got to take their home play out on the road. I thought they'd win this one.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Creighton Game just getting ready to start in about 10 min (11:30 CST)

TV = "Cox 02 TV",  Channel 2
Radio, "The Mighty Big Sports 590", 590am
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Creighton 68, Valparaiso 43

HONOLULU (AP) -- Nate Funk scored 22 points and Creighton handed Valparaiso its seventh consecutive loss, 68-43, in the opening round of the Rainbow Classic on Thursday.

Anthony Tolliver added 11 for Creighton (5-3).
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton 80 Houston 72
Huge win for Creighton against Houston who's coach said last year CU could't get the ball over the half court.
But then a Mo Valley team beat him in the tourney.

NU now plays Hawai'i - but I wonder if there will be a CU - NU rematch.
From what I have been hearing the refs in Hawai'i are so Hawai'i homers that Hawai'i will win the tourney.

Nevertheless - huge win for CU!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jays finish 2nd in Rainbow Classic

CU Men's Basketball: Jays fall short in final

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2302561
HONOLULU - Creighton coach Dana Altman was willing to take a share of the blame for Saturday night's loss to host Hawaii in the Rainbow Classic final.

He probably shouldn't.

Altman could have strategized the perfect basketball game, his players could have played above their heads and it still may not have mattered. Hawaii guard Matt Lojeski made sure of it.

Lojeski scored 33 points and triggered the Rainbow Warriors' deciding second-half run in their 76-60 victory over the Bluejays.

Game didn't get over until 1:30am our time this morning.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Brad wrote:Game didn't get over until 1:30am our time this morning.
My college once played a game in Hawaii that didn't START until 1:30 am in their own time zone. I wonder how much that sort of thing affects performance.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Creighton beats MSU!! I hate MSU so I'm thrilled to see they won.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

CU Men's Basketball: Perfect day for Tolliver as Jays win

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2306375
Creighton's Anthony Tolliver got the new year off to a perfect start Monday.

The senior center made all 11 of his field-goal attempts and scored 23 points in helping the Bluejays to a 79-71 victory over Illinois State before 14,869 at Qwest Center Omaha. The only shot Tolliver missed was the second of two free-throw attempts with 2:15 left.

"That was a big confidence booster," Tolliver said. "Every time it left my hand, it felt pretty good. Couple times, they felt pretty bad but they all went in."

Tolliver tied the school record for field-goal percentage in a game. The only player in Creighton history to make more than 11 field goals without a miss was Bob Harstad, who opened his senior season in 1990 by going 13 of 13 against Texas-San Antonio.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

What happened to the Shockers? :P
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stargazer wrote:What happened to the Shockers? :P
4 loses in a row all by under 5 points. They dropped from 16 to 28 in the last USA Today/ESPN poll.

28. WSU
31. S Ill.
36. N IA
37. Mo St.
38. Creighton
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

CU Men's Basketball: Jays' road woes continue

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2308128
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. - Creighton showed again Thursday night that it can't handle straying far from the cozy confines of home.

The Bluejays remained winless in five true road games as Indiana State, the consensus preseason pick to finish last in the Missouri Valley Conference, made enough big plays down the stretch to pull out a 55-52 victory. The Sycamores remained unbeaten this season at the Hulman Center, improving to 8-0 at home, 9-4 overall and 2-1 in league play. Meanwhile, Creighton dropped to 8-5 and 2-1 as the Bluejays were unable to make shots when they needed them the most.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

CU Men's Basketball: Bluejays turn the tables

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2309322
EVANSVILLE, Ind. - What has been a bumpy road for Creighton's basketball team took a turn for the worst in the final six minutes of the first half of Saturday's game at Evansville.

The Bluejays allowed the Purple Aces to go on an 18-2 run that turned a 13-point Creighton lead into a three-point halftime deficit. Not exactly a confidence booster for a team that had lost its first five true road games this season and seven in a row over the past two.

"We've had this pattern of getting leads and then giving it right back," Creighton guard Nick Bahe said. "He told us that we needed to develop a sense of urgency when we get a lead, not relax and get careless. He reminded us of that real nicely."

However Creighton coach Dana Altman put it, he got his point across. Playing with intensity on the defensive end of the court and catching fire offensively midway through the second half, the Bluejays squeezed out a 75-62 victory before 6,361 at Roberts Stadium that made a late-night plane ride back to Omaha a much more enjoyable experience.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I saw that game of tv. Most of the game was close but CU owned there as during the last 10 minutes of the game. They were up by as much as 11. The Aces were just giving them points by fouling the better free shooters. I hope they keep playing like this on the road.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I am watching the creighton game at home, whish I was there

New Record Attendance 16,315
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Creighton whoops Drake's |expletive| 79-54.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well - Drake is the worst team in the Valley - but a good win none the less.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, but they're still the second best team in Iowa.  :D
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I forgot about that. The lowest team in the Mo Valley beat Iowa St at Ames 80-78, and beat Iowa 75-59.
Too bad the Mo Valley can't compete with the major conferences.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

CU Men's Basketball: Unselfish Bluejays in a tie for league lead

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2310752

Never have so many seen Creighton shoot so well as it did in Tuesday's 79-56 win against Drake.

The Bluejays set a school record by making 65.9 percent of their field-goal attempts to send the crowd of 16,315 - the largest in state history for a basketball game -home from Qwest Center Omaha with plenty to talk about. Among the points of discussion might have been the fact that with the victory, Creighton moved into a three-way tie for first place in the Missouri Valley Conference.
ModestMouse
Home Owners Association

Post by ModestMouse »

Are you serious?

The Missouri Valley is considered a top 5 conference now, the better teams, the shockers, etc, when they get on a roll again they'll be a force in the NCAA

And Creighton towards the end of the season once they start melding better will be something to behold.

Don't knock down your own conference is a mantra I was taught early and often.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

He was being sarcastic...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I would love to see Creighton (especially) but the Valley overall become a tough, stand out conferance. CU always has so much potential but the star always seems to be injured and they don't hit there stride until later in the season.
DTO
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

DTO Luv wrote:I would love to see Creighton (especially) but the Valley overall become a tough, stand out conferance. CU always has so much potential but the star always seems to be injured and they don't hit there stride until later in the season.
The problem hasn't been injuries, Nate Funk's injury is really the only major injury I can remember for any of our stars during the Altman era (Buford, Korver, Sears, Walker).  The only one I can really think of was Tyler McKinney's eye problems in the year we lost to the Corn in the NIT.  I'd say the biggest problem is winning in the NCAA tourney.  In 03 we pry had the best team in Creighton history, but as a 6th seed we lost in the first round to 11th seeded Central Michigan.  In 05 we had chance to beat West Virginia on a break away dunk with 2 seconds left and the score tied.  In 01 we lost to a very beatable 7th seeded Iowa.  In 2000 we blew a game winning attempt in Minnesota to lose Auburn, when we got our last second shot by Ben walker (I think) blocked that would have won the game.  

Sure we won in 02, but got killed by 20+ points by Illinois, who was pretty much the home team as the game was in Chicago.  Same with 1999, Altman's first year in the big dance, we beat Louisville as a 10 seed, then got killed by 2nd seeded Maryland.  What's my point, we have had countless opportunities to make a deep run in the NCAA tourney.  We have barely lost about 2/3 of our NCAA tourney games.  What I'm trying to say is, you don't get many chances like Creighton has had in the past 10 years, a chance to turn heads and develop into a Marquette or Gonzaga.  In other words, we better get something going within the next couple years, or we may never be able to get over the hump and become the program we have the potential to be.  

Don't take this a pessimism, however, I honestly think with the recruits we have coming in it is almost impossible not to continue to play at the level we have been for so long.  I guess this is just me being impatient.  Hopefully this year is the year.  If we can play as good as we did on Tuesday, there is no reason why we should not be a scary team to see come March.

Sorry, I let my geekyness show with knowing way too much about Creighton Basketball  history...
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Well your name is OmahaJaysCU.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton gets a HUGE Valley road win this evening against Northern Iowa! They jump out to a 20-4 lead, UNI cuts it to 2 halfway through the second half but Creighton hangs on to win 62-54. Creighton missed a few free throws down the stretch with under minute to go to make it closer than it was. Funk was hot ending up with 24.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

That 10-second violation no-call... turned Tolliver dunk was pivitol.

Huge win... the only thing bigger, would be an encore in Wichita.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BTW - the Missouri Valley Conference turned 100 today! :bday:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MTO wrote:CU wont!  and we set a record crowd size with about 15,800.
MTO - Are you talking about tonight's game?
before the record crowd of 6,877 at the McLeod Center had settled into its seats. Meanwhile, Northern Iowa missed 9 of its first 10 after the Bluejays came out in a 2-3 zone defense, and stayed in it for most of the rest of the game.
CU Men's Basketball: Strong first half boosts Jays

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2312668
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa - The confidence gained in a fast start Friday night fueled the composure down the stretch that carried Creighton to a 62-54 victory over Northern Iowa.

The Bluejays sprinted to a 20-4 lead eight minutes into the game but gave all but two points back with 11:42 remaining. But instead of knuckling under, as it had in losing its first five games on the road this season, Creighton dug in and refused to surrender the lead.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

:woot:

I'm so glad we beat UNI. They can be pretty tough. Last night they said there was a 4-way tie for first in the Valley. CU, WSU, UNI (was) but who was the other team?
DTO