Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

McCarney Resigns from ISU

Post by Brad »

WHAT A DAMN SHAME!!!!!!

McCarney Resigns

http://www.wowt.com/sports/headlines/4595411.html

The man the BUILT ISU football was effectively run out of town. When Dan McCarney was brought to ISU 12 years ago They basically had no Football program.
flyOMA
Home Owners Association

Post by flyOMA »

What a shame. They just got rid of the best ambassador ISU could ever have for their athletic department.

You are not going to get anybody better to come to Ames, Iowa and somehow make this team better. The facilities suck (I know they are trying to change that), Ames is about the least glamorous BCS town you can find, the AD is a self-righteous money-grabber, the fans have apparently built up some overzealous sense of entitlement to be in a bowl every year, and they are obviously more than willing to |expletive| on a person like Mac who made ISU the best it probably can ever be.

I hope Mac finds quick employment and proves to ISU what a mistake they made...

Once again, a program that will be run into the ground by an idiotic, glory-seeking AD.
49r
Home Owners Association

Post by 49r »

Callahan should hire him to be an a5sistant coach.

today.

(ha! The language filter bleeped out a s s i s t a n t)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coach Mac has ties to Barry Alverez (sp) from Wisconsions, which means we will get a job somewhere.

Damn Athletic Directors......
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

49r wrote:(ha! The language filter bleeped out a s s i s t a n t)
Changed (assistant)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They are playing the Dan McCarney press confrence on Big Sports 590 right now. They will NEVER find a coach that cares for ISU as much as Dan McCarney.

I do take back what I said about Jamie Pollard, after listening to his speach at the press confrence. He did show his human side.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Travis nailed this the other day:

$120 million facility expansion. Someone made a donation contingent on someone being/not being the head coach, I'm sure.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Adam
Home Owners Association

Post by Adam »

As an ISU alum, I'm very upset to see McCarney leave. It's not his fault that the team has been plagued by injuries this year... in addition to cutting a couple of starters at the beginning of the season because of personal problems. I really think that he deserved another year.

On the other hand, I was very pessemistic at first when Pollard forced our wrestling coach (Douglas) into retirement last year, but I was very happy when they appointed former ISU wrestler and Olympic gold medalist, Cael Sanderson, as the head coach. Same goes with the basketball program when they recently fired Morgan... I was pleased with the pickup of McDermott from UNI, even though he still has to prove himself. This leaves me with a little optimism with the search for a new FB coach. Either way, I'll still miss McCarney.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

McCarney will be hard to replace. He was a much liked person and always gave great interviews. I feel for ISU - especially with the commits that they had - I wonder how many will de-commit. Pollard better find someone as good as his other two hires.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Admin wrote:
49r wrote:(ha! The language filter bleeped out a s s i s t a n t)
Changed (assistant)
Can we say Hancock?

EDIT: I guess we can. I remember when the filter used to change it to Hanthingy. :lol:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A McCarney rumor has him going to Stanford. Would anyone ever like the Stanford job? Jay Norvell to ISU?
OPlaya
Home Owners Association

Post by OPlaya »

Jay won't go to ISU. Still a bit of work to do in Lincoln and I think when he does go for a job elsewhere it won't be ISU but somewhere a bit higher up on the food chain.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well - Jay Norvell was in Dallas today interviewing for the job with Pollard. So was Jim Harbaugh.
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Article on Harbaugh: http://www.sdhoc.com/main/articles/tore ... orntocoach

It suggests that he likes living in San Diego, so a move to Ames may not be all that appealing to him.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

For Harbaugh, who played for the Chargers in 1999-2000 and kept his home in nearby Coronado, the opportunity to return to San Diego as the head coach of a football team was worth more to him than the NFL lifestyle.
Harbaugh probably would not be ISU's first choice. They would want someone with Div 1-A HC experience. What he does have going for him - if he wants this job - is that he is already loaded - they wouldn't have to pay him more than 900K.
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Coyote wrote:(ISU) would want someone with Div 1-A HC experience. What he does have going for him - if he wants this job - is that he is already loaded - they wouldn't have to pay him more than 900K.
Well, good luck with that. The number of existing I-A coaches who would move to a tough gig like Iowa State for a below-market salary is a short one. Especially after McCarney got fired after doing as well as he did over the years.

Schools need to stop firing football coaches for having one bad year. It's damn hard for even traditional power schools to win 10 games every year. There's just too much parity, and too many schools investing in their football program. With this move, Iowa State risks a return to the division basement, a la Ole Miss.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.whotv.com/Global/story.asp?S ... 2&nav=2HAB

Looks like the money is on Texas D Cord Gene Chizik as the next Head coach at ISU.  There is a press conf. scheudaled for 6:00 tonight.
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

CBS Sportsline and other sports news websites are already confirming it will be Chizik.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

GaryFL wrote: Well, good luck with that. The number of existing I-A coaches who would move to a tough gig like Iowa State for a below-market salary is a short one. Especially after McCarney got fired after doing as well as he did over the years.

Schools need to stop firing football coaches for having one bad year. It's darn hard for even traditional power schools to win 10 games every year. There's just too much parity, and too many schools investing in their football program. With this move, Iowa State risks a return to the division basement, a la Ole Miss.
Dan McCarney hasn't had "one" bad year.  The guy had a record of 56-85 over 12 years.  He is a great person and did improve ISU football, but it was time for a change.  ISU isn't paying Chizik a "below-market salary" with a minimum of $6.75 Million over 6 years with the potential to earn over $10 million.  Iowa State also agreed to provide Chizik a guaranteed package of $1.5 million plus incentives to compensate his assistant coaches, which is the third-highest assistant coach package in the Big 12.  Pollard wants to take ISU to the next level...and he is definately throwing the cash around to do it.
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Ingersoll1978 wrote:Dan McCarney hasn't had "one" bad year.  The guy had a record of 56-85 over 12 years.  He is a great person and did improve ISU football, but it was time for a change.

True, it had been 12 years and sometimes things get a little stagnant. I had also forgotten that ISU went 2-10 in 2003, which makes this year's flop a little less forgiveable. And considering some of the other firings that happened, ISU's wasn't all that bad by comparison. Tulane should be ashamed of itself. I know people want to win, but come on.
ISU isn't paying Chizik a "below-market salary" with a minimum of $6.75 Million over 6 years with the potential to earn over $10 million.  Iowa State also agreed to provide Chizik a guaranteed package of $1.5 million plus incentives to compensate his assistant coaches, which is the third-highest assistant coach package in the Big 12.

I was going by the $900K figure someone else mentioned above. But $1.125M/year plus incentives isn't much more than that. I think you'll find that that figure is only middle-of-the-pack by BCS conference standards. Especially after all the other schools go through their next round of new hires/extensions for existing coaches.
Pollard wants to take ISU to the next level...and he is definately throwing the cash around to do it.
EVERY school's fans say this. EVERY school wants to go the next level. EVERY school is throwing around the cash to do it. They just can't all be successful. I'm not trying to pick on Iowa State, it's just I talk to fans of lots of different schools, and they all say these exact same things. It's madness.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

I guess the only way we'll know is IF he starts winning.  ISU would be happy with a BIG XII North title.   :D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

McCarney joins South Florida staff

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... id=2326598
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Former Iowa State coach Dan McCarney was hired Tuesday as assistant head coach and defensive line coach at South Florida.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Good for him. S Florida was 9-4 last year and ended West Virginia's hopes of a BCS game.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Per SI Dan McCarney is hospitalized for an unspecified reason.  HE is now coaching at North Texas  

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/f ... index.html

DENTON, Texas (AP) -- North Texas football coach Dan McCarney has been hospitalized with an unspecified medical problem.

Athletic director Rick Villarreal said Monday that McCarney was taken to the hospital Sunday after experiencing what he called "medical difficulties." McCarney remained under observation Monday afternoon.

Villarreal says he doesn't know exactly what caused McCarney to fall ill.

The 58-year-old McCarney has coached the Mean Green since November 2010. He was the coach at Iowa State from 1995 to 2006 and an assistant at Florida, South Florida, Wisconsin and Iowa

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/f ... z1mInQfGDl

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not sure where he found out, but a friend of mine said he had a stroke.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Not sure where he found out, but a friend of mine said he had a stroke.
That could be bad news.  Hope he recovers.  Always liked him as a coach and he got a raw deal at ISU in my opinion.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

nebugeater wrote:
Brad wrote:Not sure where he found out, but a friend of mine said he had a stroke.
That could be bad news.  Hope he recovers.  Always liked him as a coach and he got a raw deal at ISU in my opinion.
The AD didnt want to gravitate toward mediocrity so they had to make a change  :)

I think it was a stroke but havent heard any significant updates yet either.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ESPN reported it as a mild stroke on the 14th.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/...ays-had-stroke

From the coach himself:
I've got too much Irish in me to stay down very long," McCarney told the Register. "... I feel good right now. I've got a little tingling feeling, but hey, if that's the worst of it, I'd say I'm a pretty lucky guy. Nothing wrong with me that a little Grey Goose won't cure."