2007-2008 Omaha Lancers - CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Isn't Hastings from Minnesota? If he is going home I don't think he will be coming back any time soon. It is too bad - but he has made a name for himself with the Lancers!
You never know, he has been here for a while now.  I hope some how some way that both the Lancers and UNO will both be sucessful!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

More on Hastings departure:

USHL.com wrote:Hastings Named Assistant Coach At University Of Minnesota
The winningest coach in United States Hockey League history, Mike Hastings has been tabbed as the assistant men's hockey coach at the University of Minnesota.

Hastings, who led the Omaha Lancers to the 2007-08 USHL Clark Cup title and national junior hockey championships, compiled a 529-210-56 record in 14 seasons as the team's head coach. Hastings stepped down as the Lancers' head coach following the season and assumed the team's President and General Manager duties. At Minnesota, he replaces Mike Guentzel, who resigned in April.

"After a month-long search and talking to numerous people, I believe Mike Hastings is the right fit for Gopher hockey," Minnesota coach Don Lucia said. "He is a former defenseman who has established himself by winning over 70 percent of his games over the last 14 years in the USHL. Mike has recruiting contacts all over North America, but his ties with the USHL will prove invaluable to our program."

Hastings never had a losing season in Omaha and was the USHL Coach of the Year in 1996-97 and 2001-02. Also the team's general manager, Hastings won the league's General Manager of the Year award five times in 1996-97, 2001-02, 2004-05, 2006-07 and 2007-08.

"Mike is from Minnesota and knows the culture of our state and certainly the pride fans have for Gopher hockey," Lucia said. "I wanted someone who was experienced as a coach and recruiter and Mike has a proven record of success in both. I have been recruiting players from Omaha for 14 years and they are always well-prepared for college on and off the ice. Mike is a demanding coach who will leave no stone unturned in his pursuit of
excellence."

"I've been fortunate to have spent the time I had in Omaha," Hastings said. "The idea of getting back to the college game is exciting. I know that, going forward, I've always supported our guys moving on and I know the players and staff here feel the same way."

Hastings has coached numerous players who went on to play at Minnesota, including Evan Kaufmann, Mike Howe and Tony Lucia from the 2007-08 squad. Incoming players Nico Sacchetti and Nick Larson also played under Hastings in Omaha as well as former Gopher standouts Keith Ballard and Grant Potulny.

"I really enjoyed my time with him and I think he's a good fit," Ballard said. "He's a proven winner and a passionate coach and I think he'll do a great job."

"I've played for Mike Hastings and known him for 10 years," Potulny added. "He's a great coach and a great person. I know he's very excited to coach at the University of Minnesota."

Hastings has extensive national coaching experience with USA Hockey, serving as an assistant coach for the U.S. national junior team in 2003 and 2005 at the International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship. He also guided the USA Hockey junior select team to its first-ever gold medal at the Viking Cup in 2000 after leading the team to a silver medal finish in 1996. Hastings assisted 1984 U.S. Olympic team coach Lou Vairo at
the 2003 World Junior Championships on a team that included former Gophers
Gino Guyer and Barry Tallackson.

"Mike is a great teacher and communicator who has a warm personality, but at the same time is highly competitive," Vairo said. "He is a tireless worker and an all-around good guy. He's one of the best coaches I've ever been around and I think he'll be a great addition to the University of Minnesota."

A Crookston, Minn. native, Hastings attended St. Cloud State University and earned a Bachelor's Degree in Secondary Education. He and his wife, Jean Ann, have two children, Hannah and Hudson.

"I grew up in the state and saw firsthand the pride of Gopher hockey in Minnesota," Hastings said. "To be a part of that is a unique opportunity and will make me proud to go to work every day. It's something that our entire family is excited about."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I wish him well. Being an assistant at Minnesota is like being HC at almost any other school. Don Lucia led the Golden Rodents to 2 NCAA titles so Hastings will be learning from one of the best around today. I really do hope that he made some good ties here in Omaha. He would be a great asset for Maverick Hockey!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Lancers, Coach Hastings, and both cups will be a the Quaker Steak and Lube tonight for photos and autographs.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha's Palmisano named USA Hockey Goalie of the Year
Our Sports Central wrote:Omaha Lancers goaltender Drew Palmisano has been named the 2008 recipient of the Dave Peterson Goalie of the Year Award by USA Hockey. Palmisano was among the top goaltenders in the USHL during the regular season and helped Omaha to the 2008 Clark Cup Championship earlier this month. Palmisano joins Jeff Lerg as former Lancers to win the Dave Peterson Award.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Went back and re-processed a couple shots!

1.  Championship Pano!

2.  The Clark Cup!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for posting Brad....#1 is one of the best pictures I have ever seen inside the MAC.  I have been looking for one for quite a while that show the scoreboard.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Thanks for posting Brad....#1 is one of the best pictures I have ever seen inside the MAC.  I have been looking for one for quite a while that show the scoreboard.
I probably have a better one that is more centered.  I will try to look later today or tomorrow.