2007/2008 College Football Season

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Stargazer wrote:With Franchione coming to town... it's been dubbed the "Contract Buyout Bowl" ... I love it!
Texas A&M wouldn't have to buy out Franchione if they'd fired him when they learned about his little newsletter shenanigan. Which any company, and probably most I-A football programs, would have done on the spot. Seriously, what organization keeps a guy who gets caught selling company secrets? Especially when his body of work hasn't exactly been exemplary, and this would give the organization just cause to fire the violator without compensation? Either Texas A&M is run by complete morons -- and complete morons are rare -- or they're really sucking down the Franchione Flavor-Aid.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

10/16/07 Division II Poll:

1. Grand Valley State, Mich. ( 28 )
2. North Alabama
3. Chadron State, Neb.
4. Nebraska-Omaha
5. Delta State, Miss.
6. West Texas A&M
7. Catawba, N.C.
8. California, Pa.  
9. Northwest Missouri State
10. Tarleton State, Texas

After beating North Dakota UNO moves up to #4 in the DII poll.

North Central Conference

Nebraska-Omaha        4-0 (6-0)
North Dakota              4-1 (6-1)
Central Washington    3-1 (5-1)
South Dakota              3-1 (4-3)
Minnesota State          2-2 (4-3)
Minnesota Duluth        2-3 (3-4)
Augustana                  1-4 (3-5)
Western Washington  1-4 (2-4)
St. Cloud State            0-4 (3-4)

UNO has games left against Minn-Duluth, @ St. Cloud St., South Dakota, and @ Central Washington.
Remember - the South Dakota game will be televised on CSTV.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:Remember - the South Dakota game will be televised on CSTV.
On a Thursday night, no less.  I have my tickets.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Post by Vince Furlong »

Has anyone noticed who is the #1 ranked team in 1-A?

It is our old North Central buddies - North Dakota State at 6-0.

Looks like they have beaten 2 Division 1 teams this year, and this week they travel to the Twin Cities to
play U of M.

In only a few short years they have made a huge jump from Div II.  Also, notice South Dakota State
gets votes in the national 1-A poll.

Man, I wish UNO would make the jump in football, basketball, ...

Vince
Wolverine
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Wolverine »

Vince Furlong wrote:Has anyone noticed who is the #1 ranked team in 1-A?

It is our old North Central buddies - North Dakota State at 6-0.

Looks like they have beaten 2 Division 1 teams this year, and this week they travel to the Twin Cities to
play U of M.

In only a few short years they have made a huge jump from Div II.  Also, notice South Dakota State
gets votes in the national 1-A poll.

Man, I wish UNO would make the jump in football, basketball, ...

Vince
I think you mean the #1 1-AA (now known as the FCS...Football Championship Subdivision) team.

The #1 team in 1-A (the FBS...Football Bowl Subdivision) is "the" Ohio State.
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Post by Vince Furlong »

You are correct, Mr. Wolverine.  

Vince
Wolverine
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Wolverine »

Vince Furlong wrote:You are correct, Mr. Wolverine.  

Vince
Mr.?  Don't call me mister, mister.  I'm too young for that, I'm only 32.

(if you're younger, hush!  :lol: )

I'm not a follower of the Mavs, but I do think it's a great thing that they're doing so well in their last year of their conference.  I can't say whether they *should* go to Div 1-AA, but if they can and compete just as well as NDSU, more power to 'em!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So I was all excited to see Danny Woodhead on NET2 tonight playing UNK... only to see him go down on his first carry with a high ankle sprain.  Fortunately for Chadron... looks like they've got a pretty decent passing game too.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:So I was all excited to see Danny Woodhead on NET2 tonight playing UNK... only to see him go down on his first carry with a high ankle sprain.  Fortunately for Chadron... looks like they've got a pretty decent passing game too.
I'm really digging the possibility of a late-round playoff game between UNO and Chadron.  Both are highly ranked in their separate regions.  Chadron appears to be the cream of their crop, and UNO has a suspect Grand Valley St ahead of them.  Not sure if they would be matched to meet in the semi-finals or championship round.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BCS computer ranks Nebraska No. 28
Omaha World Herald wrote:There is a team ranked No. 28 by one of the computer formulas used to determine the Bowl Championship Series standings, but it is not angling for a shot at a bowl game. This team is ranked just behind UCLA, USC and California, and just ahead of Clemson, Penn State, Purdue, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State, and is not complaining about falling seven spots, from No. 21, despite winning last week. This team is the University of Nebraska . . . at Omaha.

Massey, 30, who earned a mathematics degree from Virginia Tech and is based in Tennessee, began computer ratings as a hobby in the mid-1990s. His ratings have been used as part of the BCS formula since 1999. "It's kind of a flaw in the system," he said. "We're not allowed to use margin of victory, just wins and losses, for the BCS. And to be fair, everybody starts out at zero at the beginning of the season — from LSU down to the worst NAIA team. You don't want to assume that a Division II team isn't as good as a I-A team until that's proven on the field, and sometimes it takes more than six or seven weeks, even a whole season, until enough results are in to make it conclusive."

UNO's strength of schedule is the fifth best in Division II — all nine North Central Conference schools are among the top 45 and eight are in the top 29. The Mavs' overall strength of schedule rating for the Massey Ratings is 136, better than undefeated BCS contender Hawaii, ranked No. 68 by Massey with the 199th-best schedule.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

You guys wouldn't believe some of the things people are saying on the paid sites (message boards).  They've been in melt-down mode since week 2 and you wouldn't believe what people are saying and even doing! to the coaches and players!  

It just helps to remind me how shallow some people are  :roll:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Greatest ending ever:

If you haven't seen the Trinity-Millsaps ending (D3), be prepared to make Cal-Stanford look like a FB dive off guard.

I'd make a point of catching SportsCenter's plays of the week tonight if you want to see it in its full glory.

Oh, and NU is now 119th out of 119 D1 teams in rushing defense.  120th out of 120 if you count transitional Western Kentucky.

-Big E
Stable genius.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Sorry E, that ain't even close to the greatest ending ever. Just a note, laterals happen in almost every game, just because a winning touchdown is scored on a lateral that looks forward doesn't make the ending great. I still say Stanford-Cal, NU-Michigan, CU-Michigan, SMU-BYU, & Nebraska - Florida in 1995 were better endings.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stanford-Cal is the only game on your list that deserves to be mentioned in the same article with that play, and that was only because it was the first time it happened in the era of mass media (and the band on the field, of course).

1) NU-Mich ended with a guy tackled on the 20 yd line, after less than half of the craziness that was in the Trinity ending.  Had the guy actually scored, I might agree with you.

2) The only Hail Mary worth mentioning in greatest finishes is Flutie-to-Phelan.  The rest are simply dumb luck.  Until one ends a Super Bowl, they're simply Plays of the Week.

3) I don't even know why you're talking about NU-Florida in '95 (which was actually in January '96), unless it's on a list of greatest |expletive|-slappings.  62-24 hardly qualifies for greatest endings.

4) Laterals happen all the time.  Apparently 14 lateral 58-second game-winning plays happen all the time, too? :roll:

5) I'd put Boise St - Oklahoma and App St - Michigan ahead of every game on your list, too, with maybe the exception of Cal-Stanford.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah really?  '95 Florida?

No kidding E... that is the most incredible finish I've ever witnessed!  Having been on the road all day long yesterday... this was the first I'd heard of it!  Thanks for sharing that!
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Sorry boys, 95 Florida was a good ending because of taking a knee inside the five to avoid scoring another touchdown on the ol' ball coach.

And E, I think the Buffs-Michigan hail mary out did Flutie to Phelan. Look at the tip action in the Michigan game.

And I do agree with Boise State and App. St.

What do you think of the Sun Devils by the way? Are they legit?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I suppose if you're talking game winning plays in significant, D1 games (although citing the Florida 'knee' is pretty lame)... but as far as flat out, unbelievable sequences of events leading to a victory... the Trinity ending wins hands down in my book... I don't care if it's high school football... simply amazing!

By the way... that Youtube video was apparently pulled.

Here's one from ESPN (better quality too)...

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/vid ... Id=3083220
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I actually find that clip hard to watch because the keystone defense makes me think of the Blackshirts.

A better ending to the game would be if, on the 10th lateral, Terry Tate, office linebacker, came out of nowhere and dropped the ball carrier.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

The LSU-Auburn game this year was a pretty damn good ending.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

re: ASU

Hard to say.  Much like Kansas, we haven't seen them hit the big dogs on the schedule yet (ie, Oregon and USC).  Ask me again at 10 PM Saturday night.

Watching them Saturday night, though...  they are certainly not the most talented team in the world, but they definitely have some kind of weird blue-collar aura about them.  They just know how to win football games, and don't seem to give two shits that they spot teams like Cals two scores.  It's like they thrive on it.

I really do not see them getting past Oregon.  USC is a coin toss, mainly dependent on which USC team shows up.  

And for the record: Ohio State is a fraud.

Of course, I'm holding out for the big Kansas-BC MNC game that everyone has been talking about since July...

-Big E
Stable genius.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Boy, the Sam Keller story gets more and more gut-wrenching. He's a great athlete and he's got a heck of a lot of character. To see him go out with an injury 9 games into the worst Husker season in 40 years is hard to take.

I wish him the best of luck and I hope he impresses the pros at the NFL combines. He needs a lucky break for a change.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

edsas wrote:Boy, the Sam Keller story gets more and more gut-wrenching. He's a great athlete and he's got a heck of a lot of character. To see him go out with an injury 9 games into the worst Husker season in 40 years is hard to take.
At least we will have the better QB now for the rest of the season.  Gantz is a lot better at reading the defense and calling audibles and looking at other receivers than the intended one.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'm not sure I would agree with that.  Keller did a good job of looking off defenders... and I know he's a better  passer.

I think the only certain attribute which Ganz will bring... is ball security when the pocket collapses.  You could count on Keller to lose the ball at least 50% of the time.

In the end though, with Ganz coming back next year... perhaps to an entirely new regime... it's probably good that he gets some reps (albeit in drubbings).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:In the end though, with Ganz coming back next year... perhaps to an entirely new regime... it's probably good that he gets some reps

no doubt
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

UNO is just one vote from being #2 in the latest Div II poll.
Thursday Nov 1, 7:00 pm CSTV - UNO vs South Dakota

Division II Poll

1. Grand Valley State, Mich. (28 ) 8-0 700
2. Chadron State, Neb.                9-0 652
3. Nebraska-Omaha                     8-0 651
4. West Texas A&M                      9-0 614
5. California, Pa.                           9-0 562
6. Northwest Missouri State         7-1 540
7. North Dakota                            7-1 510
8. Valdosta State, Ga.                  7-1 495  
9. Delta State, Miss.                      7-1 469  
10. North Alabama                        7-1 467
18. Pittsburg State, Kan.               7-2 239

31. Missouri Western St.               7-2   10
37. Central Missouri                      6-3     2

Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

There's the very real possibility setting up, depending on seeding, for an all-Nebraska D2 final.  Of course, it will be in Alabama, but oh well.  A semi-final in Omaha wold be pretty cool, too.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

With UNO on TV they are bringing in a bunch of extra lights.

I think I need to get to this game.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

And for those that don't have CSTV, it will also be carried on NET2.
UNO will be playing its final North Central Conference home game when it hosts South Dakota at Caniglia Field on Thursday, Nov. 1. Kickoff is at 7:05 p.m. The game will be televised nationally on CSTV and will also be shown statewide in Nebraska on NET2
http://gomavs.unomaha.edu/full_headline ... ne_id=3182
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Anyone know if it is HD coverage?

Lots of the UNL volleyball games are when carried this way.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I drove by UNO tonight... All the extra lights made it really bright!  If There is normally 6 "banks" of lights there was 4 extras there tonight.

South Dakota at UNO,  NET2 and KOZN 1620 7 p.m.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

USD falls hard to #1 Nebraska-Omaha 41-14
Coyotes out-rushed 428-97

Volante wrote:The University of South Dakota Coyote running game was shut-down in Omaha Thursday night as the #1 ranked UNO Mavericks defeat the Coyotes 41-14. The Coyote rushing defense was victimized, allowing 428 yards on 61 carries by Nebraska-Omaha. UNO had two runners with over a 150 yards in Brian McNeill and Zach Miller. The Mavericks only attempted 15 passes during the game for 42 yards. UNO rushed the ball over 3 times more than they attempted passing.

USD will leave Omaha 6-4 overall and 5-2 in the North Central Conference. #1 Nebraska-Omaha will continue its undefeated season, going 9-0 overall, 7-0 in the NCC.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:UNO will most definitely lose to south dakota.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

ok ok ok ok ok ok, so I was wrong.  I'm a coyote I have to be over optimistic.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I don't really follow football very much anymore, but I caught the first two quarters of the game last night. It was funny watching them dominate another team...it reminded me of the Huskers circa early 90's.

This is the first time I've actually thought that UNO would beat UNL if they played right now. Especially since UNL has been playing like a JV high school team this season.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I truly hope you are joking Swift.  UNO would get trampled by most any Division 1-aa school, including the huskers.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Not the way the Mavs played last night.

Maybe the second quarter of the Texas game the Huskers would have beaten the Mavs, but not the way they played in any other of their losses this season. Mavs would have spanked 'em, even.

Not that the Mavs have more talent. Just that they are using the talent that they have much more effectively than Callahan seems to be able to.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

UNO would get trampled by most any Division 1-aa school, including the huskers.
That might be a sure fire way to get the Huskers back on the winning track.  Retreat to "1AA".  :D

Not the way the Mavs played last night.
Sure, UNO looked dominant last night (against another division II opponent).  With VERY few exceptions (ie Appalachian State w/ an incredible athlete playing the game of his life)... D1AA (or whatever they call them now) do not beat D1 schools... much less BCS schools... I don't care how bad Nebraska is playing right now.   Then, after all of that... realize UNO is not even a D1AA school... but DII.   It's an entirely different level of play... by the time UNO players even had begun to adjust to the faster pace at which the game moved... they'd be down 4 touch downs.

And, Zach Miller would have needed a much better passing day than 5 of 15 to have loosened things up for even a quarter of their 400 rushing yards... against even lowly Nebraska.

This is reality.

Now that said... I'm certainly among those in favor of UNO adding the necessary additional scholarships/facility upgrades... and going  D1AA (or whatever it's called today)... and working towards becoming more competitive in an annual game with the Huskers ("keep the green in Nebraska").  Maybe SOME day they get the opportunity to pull off the upset... but that day appears to be a long ways off.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

D1AA (or whatever they call them now) do not beat D1 schools
One of those few exceptions is North Dakota State University -- formerly of the NCC and now a D1AA team that is ranked first in its division and beat the U of Mn earlier in the season.  Although they are ranked number 1 in 1AA they can't play in the post season as they are still a team in transition from one division to the other. Also their head coach is a former NU asst coach.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Swift wrote:Not the way the Mavs played last night.

Maybe the second quarter of the Texas game the Huskers would have beaten the Mavs, but not the way they played in any other of their losses this season. Mavs would have spanked 'em, even.

Not that the Mavs have more talent. Just that they are using the talent that they have much more effectively than Callahan seems to be able to.
ummmmmmmm, no.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Linkin5 wrote:
Swift wrote:Not the way the Mavs played last night.

ummmmmmmm, no.
ummmmmmmm, yes.