2007/2008 College Football Season

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Today's game was obviously a record for points scored against Nebraska (76) in one game for football.  I did not check the basketball record books.

Other tidbits:

In 117 years of Nebraska football, Nebraska has scored 76 points only ten times.  Only four of those games have come since post-World War 1, and those four were between 1972 and 1995.

Kansas scored 60 pts against Nebraska in the 1970s...  TOTAL.

Kansas scored 68 pts against Nebraska in the 1980s...  TOTAL.

Nebraska slacked off a bit in the 90s and allowed a total of 103 against some highly ranked Kansas teams.

The most points Kansas had ever scored in a four year stretch prior to the Callahan Era (Error) was 107 from 1948-1951.  Callahan's four teams have allowed 156, only eight of which came in 2004.  That's a 49+ average for the other three years.

Kansas needed from 1973 to 1985 to score its 76th point against Tom Osborne-led teams.

While gravitating toward mediocrity, Frank Solich's six teams gave up 51 points to Kansas.

Go Big Red.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Is there such a thing as a "statement loss" ?   Does Cosgrove resign this week?

I'm curious if Shawn Watson is still calling plays on the field... the offense isn't looking half bad... Ganz had a pretty good first ever start (too bad he was forced into passing every down).

Guess it's no surprise Texas is having their |expletive| handed to them by Okie State as well.  Mac Brown is going to be feeling the heat too.%¼ÕõA
Last edited by Stargazer on Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

too bad

Post by Erik »

my cornhuskers are just inches from breaking records this season!  This team never seems to amaze me at how extreme it gets!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

You mean inches from breaking EVERY record? (well, at least the ones that no one likes to cite... except for MTO)

It is interesting to note that today's game set a Kansas record for attendance as well.  It obviously still means something to beat Nebraska (no doubt for Kansas... perhaps one of the most victimized by past Nebraska teams).  I believe the game in Columbia earlier this season also set a Missouri attendance record.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Navy ends 43 consecutive years of frustration by beating Notre Dame today in 3 OTs.

BTW, if NU loses to KSU and CU, they will match the school's longest ever losing streak at 7 games set by the other Bill head coach (Jennings).

Puts those "inches" against Ball State into perspective, no?

-Big E
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I just heard an odd rumor that the Tampa Bay Bucs will be announcing Callahan as their O coordinator.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

the1wags wrote:I just heard an odd rumor that the Tampa Bay Bucs will be announcing Callahan as their O coordinator.
Chucky bailing out his little Minarded buddy?  Sounds too easy.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

actually, Callahan is a very very good offensive coordinator and position coach, just doesn't seem to be a team leader
he also has troubles picking good assistant coaches.

But one thing he can do, is call offensive plays and can move on any good defense..

It's the other coaches, and as an overall leader seems to lose his players respect..
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Mavs would not beat Nebraska. You can bring up App State (A Div 1-AA team) beating Michigan... but look at Michigan this year. They were a top 10 team in the Pre-Season, but those rankings mean nothing. LSU, Oregon, Ohio State are all top 10 teams. App State would get scorched by those teams. UNO is a Division 2 team... there is NO way they would be able to beat a Division 1 team... even how badly Nebraska has been playing.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

You are right ShawJ, the person on this forum that does think UNO would beat Nebraska I have a feeling knows pretty much nothing about football.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The UNO - NU talk is over, it was stupid in the first place...

Where did the Callahan to TB talk come from?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The NU coaching staff needs to be driven to to the Missouri River and, if not tossed in, told never to set foot back in this state.  I grew up listening to (and later watching) the Huskers every Saturday afternoon in autumn, dating back to the late 1960s.  While programs naturally have ebbs and flows, this one is bleeding red, to the point of unconsciousness and coma.  And I can't see things correcting themselves for at least 5 more years.  Each passing game adds to the ambivalence of the fan base.  They have gone beyond shock and anger and denial to acceptance.  Losing BIG is now expected of NU.  How very very sad.

A question.  How does a team that has played so poorly for several years now, located in the Midwestern hinterlands, get things back on track?  Many of the high school kids now playing football have no memory of NU's "Glory Days."  If the term "Big Red" ends up drawing only big blank stares from the rest of the nation, we will never return to the days of BCS championship games, or Big 12 title games.  Recruiting kids from So. California, Texas, Florida, or anywhere on the coasts will be difficult if not impossible.  I mean, Lincoln in January is not exactly the sort of "cool" place for a sunbelt kid to crave moving to for four or five long years.  And winter is when recruiting takes place.

I would not be investing in Big Red clothing futures for some time to come.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I don't think it will necessarily take five years for Nebraska to make a come back. Get the right coach with a sensible plan and, with Osborn's help, I see three years as doable for NU to be a contender.

Restoring the walk-on program will go a long way. The importance of having an entire state's best athletes committed to a program with the kind of passion only they can bring to it can not be overstated. I think the walk on program (and coaching) is why Nebraska won no less than nine games a year for 34 straight years. Attracting the superstar position athletes from around the country to add to the homegrown talent is what got Nebraska into 9 national tilte games over the same period.

Throw in a few lucky breaks and I'll bet Nebraska's back in action by 2010.

And by the way, I think you'd be surprised at how willing "California kids" are to leave California. Even if it's to little ole Lincoln.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

edsas wrote:I don't think it will necessarily take five years for Nebraska to make a come back. Get the right coach with a sensible plan and, with Osborn's help, I see three years as doable for NU to be a contender.

Restoring the walk-on program will go a long way. The importance of having an entire state's best athletes committed to a program with the kind of passion only they can bring to it can not be overstated. I think the walk on program (and coaching) is why Nebraska won no less than nine games a year for 34 straight years. Attracting the superstar position athletes from around the country to add to the homegrown talent is what got Nebraska into 9 national tilte games over the same period.

Throw in a few lucky breaks and I'll bet Nebraska's back in action by 2010.

And by the way, I think you'd be surprised at how willing "California kids" are to leave California. Even if it's to little ole Lincoln.
I hope you are right.  But I wouldn't bet the rent money on it.  Times have changed.  The playing field has been leveled with scholarship limits.  Tom O. acknowledged the same when he was hired as Temp. AD.  And with so many back to back mediocre (at best!) football teams at NU, I don't see us getting on national TV much in upcoming years.  It all adds up to troubles ahead, no matter who is hired as head coach.  Steve Pederson tried and tried and tried to find the right coach for NU, and Callahan was the best he could come up with.  I just don't see this ship turning on a dime to become competitive in the next 5 years.  I will be happy to eat my words if I am wrong.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I guess I noticed during the Kansas game broadcast (over store speakers, while shopping with my wife)... that Jim Rose wasn't doing the play-by-play... apparently the word now is that he had a nervous breakdown?!   Did anyone see who did the Callahan show?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Stargazer wrote:... apparently the word now is that he had a nervous breakdown?!   ...
Normally, I wouldn't say this about someone else, but it could not happen to a better person than Jim Rose.  Crikey, he was such a condescending |expletive| - I called him on a derogatory comment he made toward a certain player of a certain team I root for and the state they were in and rather than apologize for being in the wrong, he went off on me and called me names.  I have zero respect for that [expletive].
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

While I don't have any personal experiences with him to draw upon... I didn't care for the guy myself either.

Just noticed this on the WH site...
Jim Rose, known as "the voice of the Huskers," has announced he is resigning as the play-by-play announcer for Nebraska football games.

Rose tells Omaha radio station KFAB that he is stepping down immediately after calling Nebraska football games for six seasons.

Rose says the job has been rewarding and exciting, but that he has lost touch with the important things in his life.

Rose replaced announcer Warren Swain in 2002. There is no word yet on who will replace Rose on the Husker Sports Network.

I had forgotten about it until someone mentioned that they talked about it on one of the radio shows... but during the (can't recall for sure) Okie State game... he accidentally left his mic on during an ad, and you could hear him making some disparaging remarks about the team.  Was kind of funny.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think they said that is was Greg Sharp? that was doing the Kansas game.  Apparently he does Basketball?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:I had forgotten about it until someone mentioned that they talked about it on one of the radio shows... but during the (can't recall for sure) Okie State game... he accidentally left his mic on during an ad, and you could hear him making some disparaging remarks about the team.  Was kind of funny.
I heard that too and it was funny.  He didn't say anything "bad" (ie, swearing or anything like that).  He was just pointing out how absolutely pathetic the team was.  Also, I think it was actually the A&M game, since there was no TV coverage for that one and that's the ONLY reason I would ever listen to the radio play by play.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this move was his opportunity to save face while being removed from his position as Athletic Department Yes Man.  (That is strictly speculation and based on zero inside info.)

-Big E
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.cityweeklymediawatch.blogspot.com/

More details on Jim Rose stepping down as PBP guy.  He will stay on with Host Com. continuing in a marketing and TV role.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:I think they said that is was Greg Sharp? that was doing the Kansas game.  Apparently he does Basketball?
HE does the FOX sports net broadcasts of the Husker basketball with Matt Davidson doing color.  He has done the PBP for a couple of Husker Football pay per View games too.  In the past he did radio PBP for radio for K State but it has been a while.  I believe that he did the Creighton TV games too a few years back when there were not as many on TV.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Well may be we can get a guy that says; The Down, The Distance, The Time, and The Score? :roll:

Oh and not FREAK OUT on a two yard run.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I vote for Charissa Thompson:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7327648

Although she might lose some of her effectiveness on the radio.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Although she might lose some of her effectiveness on the radio.
Great pick, but I think we should leave her on the TV.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

UNO completes it's first undefeated regular season in 50+ years today.

ESPNU (Cox 220) will be airing the Division II and III playoff selection show tomorrow, Sunday, Nov 11th, at 10:30 AM.  UNO is widely expected to receive a first round bye and 2nd round home game on Nov 24th as the #1 team in their division.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

What a difference a final home game for the seniors makes.

After providing the impetus for it's opponents having 5 straight Big 12 offensive players of the week ... Nebraska may finally get one of it's own with Joe Ganz's incredible 500+ yard, 7 touch down (both records) passing performance.  The entire team almost seems to be rallying around him... one wonders if things might have been a little different had he been given the start from the get go.

Don't look now, but Nebraska is playing CU for a bowl invite.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:What a difference a final home game for the seniors makes.

After providing the impetus for it's opponents having 5 straight Big 12 offensive players of the week ... Nebraska may finally get one of it's own with Joe Ganz's incredible 500+ yard, 7 touch down (both records) passing performance.  The entire team almost seems to be rallying around him... one wonders if things might have been a little different had he been given the start from the get go.

I missed today's game... I finally called a friend at three and asked the score and heard 31-73 and I said "They gave up 70+ points again"  and my friend said no, they won.... and all I could think was WOW!

That is incredible 7 TD's and 512 yards passing!  I think Gantz is the better QB, but his dad was not friends with Callahan!

I would like to see them beat Colorado, but Dan Hawkins has a few tricks up his sleeve, and they still gave up some points and yards...  However I expect a great game.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

And of course my hat off to UNO... I was honestly expecting a very tough game at CWU... which had only lost one game themselves, and appeared to have beaten common opponents every bit as badly as UNO had.

Hopefully this will be the year that UNO goes deep into the playoffs for a change.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

DII Playoffs - * denotes Home Team:

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Brad wrote:
Stargazer wrote:What a difference a final home game for the seniors makes.

I missed today's game... I finally called a friend at three and asked the score and heard 31-73 and I said "They gave up 70+ points again"  and my friend said no, they won.... and all I could think was WOW!

That is incredible 7 TD's and 512 yards passing!  I think Gantz is the better QB, but his dad was not friends with Callahan!

I would like to see them beat Colorado, but Dan Hawkins has a few tricks up his sleeve, and they still gave up some points and yards...  However I expect a great game.
Most of those points and yards KSU obtained was during the end of the 4th quarter. They were held to 10 points most of the game. Get this... we held them to ONE yard rushing in the first half. The 119th ranked rushing defense did that? Crazy...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Anyone have any ideas as to which school would host the potential UNO-Chadron St matchup in the quarter-finals?

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big E wrote:Anyone have any ideas as to which school would host the potential UNO-Chadron St matchup in the quarter-finals?
"The host institutions for semifinal competition shall be determined after quarterfinal competition, using seeding based on the selection criteria and the Division II site-selection criteria."

#1 Seeds:
University of Nebraska at Omaha (10-0)
Chadron State College (11-0)
Valdosta State University (9-1)
California University of Pennsylvania (11-0)

#2 Seeds:
Grand Valley State University (10-0)
Northwest Missouri State University (9-1)
University of North Alabama (9-1)
Shepherd University (9-1)

For some reason #1-Ranked Grand Valley State and two-time defending NCAA DII National Champions, entering the playoffs with an NCAA DII record 38-game winning streak was awarded the #2 seed in the Northwest Region. ONU will have to get past them first before they re-seed the field.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Is "ONU" UNO?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lakers to sit back, wait for playoff foe
The Grand Rapids Press wrote:Despite being ranked No. 1 in the country the entire season -- and going 10-0 for a third consecutive unbeaten season -- the two-time defending national champion Lakers came up a No. 2 in the points system used to rank teams by region.

The strength of schedule system determined Nebraska-Omaha, a 10-0 team ranked No. 3 in the country, would get the top seed of the Northwest region in which Grand Valley is placed.

"We're undefeated, Nebraska-Omaha is undefeated, one of us has to be seeded No. 2," Martin said. "It's not based on what you have done in the last few years, it's based on this year. Would I like to be a No. 1 seed? Sure. But I'm not going to complain because Nebraska-Omaha beat Northwest Missouri State, beat North Dakota, South Dakota and Central Washington. I watched them on TV against South Dakota, and they are a very good team."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

CapitalGuy wrote:Is "ONU" UNO?
By bad - dyslexic fingers.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

In other region play... it's hard not to notice the possible matchup of Cal (PA) and Indiana (PA).  Following DII always provides an informative lesson in geography.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

FYI:

Tickets for the Nov 24th game go on sale Tuesday, Nov 20th.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Selection Madness, Sadness
Some DII teams rejoice at playoff bracket while others must accept their unchosen fate

CSTV wrote:Selection Sunday in Division II is a day in which 24 teams explode in excitement at watch parties, knowing they have likely completed one of their season goals - making the playoffs. It's also a day when a handful of teams who held out hope of a selection day miracle were left disappointed, cursing the system and demanding changes. For some, the complaints stem from not knowing the rules or how the selection process works. For others, like one-loss Carson-Newman, acceptance of the decision is a tough pill to swallow. A rare morning selection show likely saw people rushing home from church or postponing an afternoon of watching the NFL. Fans of the 24 teams that made it likely felt it was well worth it.

Northwest Region

1. Nebraska-Omaha
2. Grand Valley
3. North Dakota
4. Central Washington
5. Ashland
6. Winona State

Round One Games:

Winona State at North Dakota
Ashland at Central Washington

As a result of earned-access in the Southeast Region, this is the toughest region in the playoffs. In spite of the fact that Nebraska-Omaha has the advantage of playing at home and has been playing extremely well of late, it's hard to pick against Grand Valley. The Lakers have looked like the best team in the country all season long and their experience makes them an extremely tough opponent.  

This region is definitely the region of some top quarterbacks. Zach Miller is a dual-threat star for UNO and Brad Iciek has filled in perfectly for Cullen Finnerty. Central Washington quarterback Mike Reilly is the best quarterback in Division II.

Overall Analysis

It's tough to pick against Grand Valley to win the entire thing, no matter what obstacles the Lakers face along the way. In a dream world, the Lakers would be facing North Alabama for the championship on UNA's home field with the opportunity to tie UNA's record of three consecutive championships. That would be a great storyline.

Since dreams are what makes life worth living, that will be my pick. North Alabama will avenge an earlier loss to Valdosta State, defeat California in the semifinals, only to lose to Grand Valley in the National Championship.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

FYI:

Tickets for next Saturday's home game are on sale NOW.  I was misled yesterday by the ticket office.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I really like this writer, but it's not why I'm linking it.

Commentary on the Callahan Era:

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/di ... bb08c8ccfb
NEStatePaper wrote:Nebraska was a 16-point underdog going into Boulder that Friday, and emerged from it having outgained Colorado 497-212. Afterward, the vainglorious and humble celebrated alike, a scene captured quite well in this story from the Lincoln Journal-Star.
Emphasis totally mine.

-Big E
Stable genius.