19. Oklahoma
20. Miami
21. Texas
22. Tennessee
23. Notre Dame
24. Washington
25. Purdue

BCS matchups

Rose Bowl: Penn State (Big Ten Champions) vs. USC (Pac-10 Champions)
Final score: USC wins 51-13

Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech (ACC Champions) vs. West Virginia (Big East Champions)
Final score: West Virginia wins 31-28

Sugar Bowl: Louisville (At-large) vs. Michigan (At-large)
Final score: Louisville wins 27-20

Fiesta Bowl: Arkansas (At-large) vs. Boise State (At-large)
Final score: Arkansas wins 35-21

National championship: Nebraska (BCS No. 2) at LSU (BCS No. 1)
Final score: LSU wins 34-17
MVP: Matt Flynn, QB, LSU — 23-30, 311 yards, 3 TDs

National champions: LSU Tigers

Heisman finalists

Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
John David Booty, QB, USC
Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State
Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
Sam Keller, QB, Nebraska

Winner: McFadden

Other award winners

Best coach: Bill Callahan, Nebraska

Get all that?

USC losing to Nebraska in Lincoln on Sept. 15, Penn State topping Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin in the Big 10, and both Oklahoma and Texas finishing out of the top 15. Bill Callahan leading an undefeated Nebraska squad to the BCS Championship Game, UCLA and Washington edging out Oregon and Cal for the 2 and 3 spots in the Pac-10, and Boise State making a return to the Fiesta Bowl. Sam Keller invited to New York for the Heisman presentation? A team that had four players from last year's Sugar Bowl champion squad get selected in the first round of April's NFL Draft winning it less than twelve months later?
And to prove it may not be too far off
Throughout last year, we turned to NCAA '07 for predictions. The results were uncanny. Before the season, a simulated run-through of the game revealed Florida as the eventual SEC Champions, Boise State making a run at a BCS bowl berth, and both Florida State and Miami finishing the season outside of the Top 25. Furthermore, Troy Smith was accurately predicted as the Heisman, Arkansas and Wake Forest foreseen with winning records, and Kentucky capable of both an upset over Georgia and an eventual victory in a bowl game.
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/7159172
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

And then there's the real world were Nebraska finishes 8 and 4. :lol:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I can't believe how much time people spend on a video game.  However people probably say the same thing about me just change video game to forum...  At least I am multitasking while I do this.  Usually posting while photos are processing!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Actually the guy put in the rosters of every team and had the computer play the games.
I can't believe he spen the time inputing all the data.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Coyote wrote:Actually the guy put in the rosters of every team and had the computer play the games.
I can't believe he spen the time inputing all the data.
You actually download files with the rosters from the Interweb via The Google.  It's not time consuming at all.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

And then there's the real world were Nebraska finishes 8 and 4.
That may be generous.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

NU has a brutal schedule. A 7-5 finish would not surprise me one bit.  But I think there's something special about this year's team for which Callahan has painstakenly laid a solid foundation.  But, as much as I'd like NCAA '08's prognosticating to be true, I don't see BCS runner-up in the cards.  My prediction is either 11-2 or 10-3 with a legit shot at a BCS bowl appearance. And a final-ranking of at or near #10.

And once again, as long as Booty is at the helm, USC is overrated. The Trojans will get all they can handle in Lincoln. Ridiculous hype aside, they aren't the team that steamrolled through 2004 and 2005.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Wags and Jeff,

What makes you skeptical about this season?  

Granted, there are plenty of pitfalls in the schedule:  @ WF - tough game. USC - overhyped, but talented nonetheless and capable of laying the wood to pretty much anybody -- or not. @ Mizzou -- Columbia is always tough, just ask the '97 Huskers (plus last two visits MU won).  @ Texas -- no explanation needed.  A&M will be solid, but it's in Lincoln.  Big 12 Title game -- yep, tough.  Throw in a surprise upset somewhere and, sure, NU's win-loss record could end up ugly.  But that assumes NU hasn't made any improvements over last year (preseason camp says that's not the case) or that NU will fail to rise to the occassion and outplay equal and/or better opponents.  I just don't see it.  Untested QB?  Maybe. If you consider racking up 2,000 yards in 7 games at ASU "untested".  Keller has just 12 games to prove that he's the first NFL-caliber QB at Nebraska since Ferragamo.  I think he will - barring injury.  And even if he does go down or doesn't play well, apparently Ganz (though less talented) actually knows the WCO offense better than Sam.

It'll be a hair-raising season for sure, but I think there are many more reasons to be hopefully than doubtful.   :yes:
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Based on observations Saturday:

1) Wake is a non-issue.

2) USC has some SCARY talent, but it's not at QB.  This is a winnable game, especially in Lincoln.

3) Mizzou can score points, but they won't stop anyone from scoring either.

4) Texas needs some serious work before they deserve their ranking.

5) Hard to tell if OU was that good or North Texas that bad.  I think more of NT being that bad, but 79 points is pretty amazing.

6) I'm glad I'm not Lloyd Carr.

Way early statement: NU and OU in the B12 CG.

-Big E
Stable genius.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Big E wrote:Based on observations Saturday:

1) Wake is a non-issue.

2) USC has some SCARY talent, but it's not at QB.  This is a winnable game, especially in Lincoln.
Wake still worries me some.  I'm wondering if they just had a flat game against BC. Add in homefield advantage and Nu looking ahead to SC and...

I still think NU goes in and wins next Saturday, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little too close for comfort until about the end of the 3rd Quarter. Hope I'm wrong.

Totally agree about SC.  I think people underestimate what having three Heisman Trophy winners in three seasons really meant to Southern Cal.  Booty is their Joe Daily, imo.
Vince Furlong
Home Owners Association

Post by Vince Furlong »

Go you Northwestern, fight on down the field......

Vince
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

FYI... Wake has lost their starting QB for next week (last years QB as well)... who led them to their surprise BCS bowl last year.  I'm sure it'll still be a tough game.   Is it televised?
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

NU game with Wake is on ESPN at 11am

6) I'm glad I'm not Lloyd Carr.
You can't spell Lloyd without 2 L's. Michigan has lost 3 straight games (going back to last year), lost the last 3 against 'The' Ohio State, lost the last 3 bowl games.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Stargazer wrote:FYI... Wake has lost their starting QB for next week (last years QB as well)... who led them to their surprise BCS bowl last year.
Ooh. I didn't hear about that injury. I'm amending my prediction.  WF (with home crowd advantage) makes it a game for 2 quarters. Then it'll be lights out.
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

edsas wrote:WF (with home crowd advantage)
Home crowd advantage? In the Asti and Cheese Conference? Unless you're going to Florida State, Clemson, or Virginia Tech, no way. Wake Forest's stadium seats about 30,000. Nebraska will be playing in front of fewer people than they did in their Spring Game.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Two Things:

Game Day is coming to the NU vs USC game

and

50 yardline tickets are going for 5 Grand a piece:
http://www.stubhub.com/nebraska-footbal ... d=84619927
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

And I will raise you $1000   :lol:

http://tinyurl.com/2ax5gd

TWICE!!!   :lol:

http://tinyurl.com/yv4wtd

Not really a college football fan but that is ridiculous for any event.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Note going ... not gone.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Two Things:

Game Day is coming to the NU vs USC game

and

50 yardline tickets are going for 5 Grand a piece:
http://www.stubhub.com/nebraska-footbal ... d=84619927
Show me some that SOLD for this.  There is a big difference between ASKING and GETTING
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

No kidding.  I'm listing my condo on eBay for a million billion dollars.  Any takers?

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote: Show me some that SOLD for this.  There is a big difference between ASKING and GETTING
I know that's the same thing Chad for Ticket Express was saying, he thinks this game will fall right behind the NU Irish game and some people will buy $1500 tickets.  

I posted that to show crazy some people are.  Honestly, I like NU, but would NEVER pay more than face value for a ticket.  Actually I have never even paid for any tickets.  If you are looking, most games you can get them at game time on the street for less than face value.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote: Show me some that SOLD for this.  There is a big difference between ASKING and GETTING
I know that's the same thing Chad for Ticket Express was saying, he thinks this game will fall right behind the NU Irish game and some people will buy $1500 tickets.  

I posted that to show crazy some people are.  Honestly, I like NU, but would NEVER pay more than face value for a ticket.  Actually I have never even paid for any tickets.  If you are looking, most games you can get them at game time on the street for less than face value.
I agree that this is often the case.  I have bought many tickets outside the stadium to big games and never paid too much.  I have paid from under face to slightly over and for the most part stay away from what is obviously a scalper.  I usually look for someone getting off a shuttle bus that has a pair.  If they seem to be the ticket owner that is worth something to me.  Often I end up sitting by the person I bought from.

All that being the norm I think this is one game that the tickets may be hard to find outside the stadium.  There seems to be more of a buzz this year, and weather it is true or not a lot of people think the Huskers have a shot.  I will hold my judgment on that until after I see how things go at Wake.  Last week already with Nevada there seemed to be less tickets than normal available and the price seemed a bit higher than it should have.  I think it goes back to the BUZZ thing and people wanting to see the first game, Keller, etc.

And, if anyone wants to part with say $500 each a ticket for my pair for the USC game send me a PM.  That would probably get me to watch it at home!   :mrgreen:
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Brad wrote:If you are looking, most games you can get them at game time on the street for less than face value.
I went to the University of Florida in the early-mid 1990s, and was this the case there as well. It got to the point where we didn't even bother pre-acquiring tickets for non-marquee games, because there were scores of people with a spare seat or two to sell at game time. Because the games always sell out, buyers err on the side of getting more tickets than they will need, and end up with extras. I bet this is the case at any big-time, "always sells out" college football program.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Show me some that SOLD for this.  There is a big difference between ASKING and GETTING
well they aren't getting the 1000/ticket yet but some of the Ebay completeds  have ranged from $200-600/ticket.  :shock: [/quote]
Marcus797
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Marcus797 »

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/state- ... -play-want

Trojans are large in Nebraska visit
No. 1 USC will be a big show in the Cornhusker state.

JEFF MILLER
Register columnist
jmiller@ocregister.com

LOS ANGELES -- For one glorious, uproarious evening, they will be the No. 1 attraction in the state, eclipsing all the biggies …

•The monument in Alda marking the lives of Nat and Bob Martin, brothers who, while riding together on a horse, were attacked by Indians and pinned together by an arrow.

•The absolute must-see of Omaha, by which, of course, we mean the world's largest ball of stamps.

•The most notable headstone in all of Hastings, the one commemorating the life of Andy, The Footless Goose.

Giant, the Trojans will be Saturday, as No. 1 as one can be, invading the great state of Nebraska, home of a museum honoring all things Kool-Aid.

"Oh Yeah!" this will be big, USC becoming the first school other than Oklahoma to visit the Huskers at Memorial Stadium while ranked No. 1. And the Sooners have done so only three times, the last occasion coming nearly 30 years ago.

No wonder the folks in Nebraska are touting this game as enormous, and they do know enormous, particularly in Milford, the longtime home of the world's largest covered wagon.

So, Trojans, how does it feel preparing to wade into a red sea that will roll and pitch and attempt to swallow you whole?

"It means nothing to me," defensive end Lawrence Jackson said. "If they want to make a big deal out of it, that's up to them. We'll just show up and play. Once the ball is kicked off, it's just football."

Ho-hum on the hype, in other words, the Trojans in recent seasons having gone on the road to play early nonconference games against programs like Colorado, Auburn and Arkansas.

Under Pete Carroll, they've also visited Kansas State and picked neutral ground to take on Virginia Tech. Next season marks the beginning of home-and-home dates with Ohio State and Virginia.

Many coaches would call these sorts of games "risky," while others would prefer a term more like "idiotic." Carroll? On Tuesday, he chose "cool matchups."

"We try to maintain a high level of scheduling," he explained. "Some places don't always look for these kinds of matches. But we'll continue to do it each year."

Sure, USC opened this season against toothless Idaho and also will mix in the occasional San Jose State. But, the Trojans aren't among the top-25 teams that already this year have tussled with the states of Murray, Weber and Youngstown.

Give Nebraska credit for taking on a traditional monster, even if the Huskers do play Ball State next weekend.

At least they're willing to face Troy in the regular season, unlike, say, Florida, which last week played the actual Troy, an overmatched Alabama school from the Sun Belt Conference. Based on the 59 points the Gators scored, maybe it should be the Seat Belt Conference.

This came after Florida opened defense of its national championship by challenging Western Kentucky. In November, comes a showdown with Florida Atlantic, a team very easy to beat once you get past Coach Howard Schnellenberger's pipe smoke.

Now that's idiotic scheduling. Disagree? Ask the people at Michigan right now about the intelligence of playing a team like Appalachian State.

"We want to play against the best," USC offensive lineman Jeff Byers said. "Just like in practice every day. We go ones vs. ones all the time. That's what football is supposed to be about, playing against the best competition out there."

Games like this one can be so big that they stretch well into the season. Visiting Lincoln in September might just aid the Trojans when they visit Berkeley in November. Compared with what awaits them Saturday, the Trojans can look at South Bend and practically shrug.

The atmosphere will be buzzing and so will much of the alumni, the nighttime kickoff allowing ample time for minds to be oiled with alcohol. It will be noisy, nasty and red, extremely red.

"These games have served us well in the past," Carroll said. "We always want to accomplish stuff early and build from there. This is the sort of game that we can go back to later and talk about, especially with the young guys. They can learn a lot."

Carroll never has been to a game at Memorial Stadium, his only visit to the area coming in the early 1980s when he was an assistant at North Carolina State.

That was a different era of Nebraska football, Tom Osborne and silos full of mystique now long gone. Bill Callahan is the coach today, and he's being paid nearly $2 million a year to restore the red.

"We want to play the best," Byers said, "because we want to be the best."

The Huskers get the best Saturday. The Trojans get plenty, too, even if they won't have time to visit the Sapp Bros. truck stop in Omaha, famous for being the birthplace of the world's largest coffee pot.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I do wish these stories from LA would at least give us some credit for Carson, Fonda and Brando.

Can we at least get some love for BEING the #1 ranked team playing Lincoln eighteen times since 1978?

Making fun of the goose headstone is fair game, though.

-Big E
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

This is exactly why I |expletive| hate the |expletive| huskers. They play in |expletive| Lincoln but they slander Omaha two |expletive| times. It’s bad enough that Omaha is in Nebraska but they to have |expletive| stories like this that perpetuate the stereotype of Omaha as some |expletive| small town on the level of Milford.

After that article I would almost root for the huskers but I would never hear the end of it from the bumpkins talking 15 years from now about how the |expletive| huskers beat USC as they wear they’re super faded “Back2Back” and “UN-finished Business” T-shirts. |expletive| !
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

That rant next to your pouty lips is simply magnificent, DTO.

-Big E
Stable genius.
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

DTO Luv wrote:It's bad enough that Omaha is in Nebraska
Well, where would you put it?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DTO Luv wrote:This is exactly why I |expletive| hate the |expletive| huskers. They play in |expletive| Lincoln but they slander Omaha two |expletive| times. It’s bad enough that Omaha is in Nebraska but they to have |expletive| stories like this that perpetuate the stereotype of Omaha as some |expletive| small town on the level of Milford.

After that article I would almost root for the huskers but I would never hear the end of it from the bumpkins talking 15 years from now about how the |expletive| huskers beat USC as they wear they’re super faded “Back2Back” and “UN-finished Business” T-shirts. |expletive| !
And how do you really feel?  (Emotionally   :;): , that is)
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

World Herald wrote:"They are a very, very, very good defense," Keller said Tuesday. "And we need to play very, very good. That's going to happen by practicing very, very good."
I wonder if Miss Teen South Carolina is available.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

He was just on Jim Rome, he didn't sound that bad?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

GaryFL wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:It's bad enough that Omaha is in Nebraska
Well, where would you put it?
Iowa doesn't seem half bad sometimes.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

WhooHoo! Annex Omaha into Iowa, that would be sweet!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

The Omaha Chamber of Commerce should sue that paper for slander. Good thing it's the OC Register and not some big paper.
Marcus797
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Marcus797 »

Anybody read the readers comments from the article? :o

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/state- ... -play-want
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Great game last night husks!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Eh... at least it wasn't Appalachian State (or Iowa State for that matter)... I guess USC is ranked #1 for a reason.

With the exception of Oklahoma (although aside from crushing a has been Miami... I'm not sure they've been tested yet either)... I'd say the Big 12 in general has a long ways to go to compete with the Pac 10/SEC.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Stargazer wrote:Eh... at least it wasn't Appalachian State (or Iowa State for that matter)... I guess USC is ranked #1 for a reason.
At least we weren't like Notre Dame!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

That too.