2007/2008 College Football Season

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

[youtube][/youtube]
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Gotta love the enya music playing underneath.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, right... the Enya music. :;):

Those Californians for Nebraska sure know how to party, huh.

<resume crickets>
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Holy S_bomb...

Probably not safe for kids or work...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Don't look now but #2 Oregon is loosing 31 to 17 with 14 min left!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

They lost Dennis Dixon in the first quarter... look out, here comes the Big 12 (or Big 8 circa '68/'69).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

31-24 with 8 mins left.

If Oregon could hold on to the ball they'd be up by 50.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What a bad year for #2.... Watch out Kansas.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Well..The table is now set for Kansas, Oklahoma or Missouri to play for the National Championship..

If the Big 12 champ is one of those 3 teams, they'll be playing (most likely) LSU for all the marbles..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'm not entirely convinced LSU makes it.  I'm also not going to be shocked if a 2-loss team back doors it's way into the NC game (no jokes, D'Shawn), or if Hawaii somehow manages to creep into the serious discussion.  There is a LOT of football left to be played.

-Big E
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:I'm not entirely convinced LSU makes it.  I'm also not going to be shocked if a 2-loss team back doors it's way into the NC game (no jokes, D'Shawn), or if Hawaii somehow manages to creep into the serious discussion.  There is a LOT of football left to be played.

-Big E
I agree with all that, except Hawaii.  They have NOTHING on their schedule to help them stake a claim to the title match.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Weird as it is to say, I'm rooting for Kansas to win out. Because that's just how weird this college football season has been.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Hawai'i has a BCS computer ranking of 27. They have Nevada, Boise St and Washington left on their schedule. They may get a BCS Bowl game but not the championship game they are 16th in the formula but has to end up in the top 12.

We have plenty of great games left to settle the score: KU v MU, OSU v MU, ASU v USC, WV has a couple of strong teams remaining, SEC and Big 12 Championship games. Kansas v LSU would be interesting, but it may be Oklahoma and LSU.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

joeglow wrote:I agree with all that, except Hawaii.  They have NOTHING on their schedule to help them stake a claim to the title match.
I realize that's a huge longshot (and 100% accurate at the moment), but let's not forget the Hawaii - Boise St matchup on the day after T-giving on a national primetime stage. A win over a highly ranked media darling Boise St that has only lost one game in the last two years on the Smurf Turf might be enough to get them in there if you've got a bunch of 1 and 2 loss teams ahead of them.  They could be this generation's BYU.

Colt Brennan also had his noodles scrambled pretty severely late last Saturday.  It's entirely possible he thinks he's Batman right now.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A rematch for UNO:

Wildcats outlast Ashland
KVNews wrote:The expected shootout between Ashland University and Central Washington erupted quickly Saturday afternoon. But as the day wore on, the offenses wore each other out and CWU came away with it’s first-ever NCAA Division II playoff victory, outlasting the Eagles 40-24. The win send the Wildcats, now 9-2, into a rematch with Nebraska-Omaha Saturday in Omaha. The two teams closed out the regular season two weeks ago with the Mavericks taking a 59-21 win.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Callahan Fired! Everyone else is guaranteed a contract till January.
Pelini has been contacted (Lincoln JS rumor) by a search firm out of Atlanta.
T.O. has 4-5 people he will contact.
Last edited by Coyote on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I lol'd when NET broke into Hometime.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

At the beginning they said it would be a short broadcast - the 9:30 news conference was already announced.
I can only handle so much of that Duck/Turkey calling sound myself.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

USAToday picks up the story (quite a long one at that) within minutes:

Nebraska fires Callahan after another blowout loss
USA Today wrote:Bill Callahan was fired as Nebraska's coach Saturday, his four-year stay marked by the most embarrassing losses at a football program once among the mightiest in the nation. The firing came one month and a day after Callahan said, "I have done an excellent job in every area." Osborne apparently thought otherwise after only the second losing season at Nebraska since 1962, both coming on Callahan's watch.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

UNO OUT OF PLAYOFFS

Well, today I witnessed in person one of the greatest late game collapses I have ever seen in my life - and I have watched a LOT of football.  It was freaking epic.

UNO kicks a field goal to go up 17-7 on Central Washington with about 3:06 left in the game.  I lean over to Ms Big E and say, "As long as they don't run this back they should be in good shape."

101-yards and :16 later, Central Washington pulls to within 17-14.

UNO fumbles the next kickoff and only manages to get out to about the 10 yard line.  I lean over to Ms Big E and say, "As long as they run the ball a few times and don't throw, they'll be fine."

Two plays and one ill-advised play call and pass decision later, UCW has the ball on the UNO 30ish.

With 1:36 left, UCW scores the go-ahead TD.

Oh, but we're not done.

UNO moves the ball past mid-field with just under a minute left.  On second and short FROM WITHIN FIELD GOAL RANGE with two timeouts left, UNO takes a sack for 8 yards.  Next play - a long pass - is intercepted.

Just....freaking....amazing....meltdown.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That was hard to listen to. UNO scores to go up by 10 and you think it is over. Then the quicksand sets in. Un-|expletive| believable.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Tom Osborne named Interim Head Coach

Fox Sports wrote:LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - Tom Osborne is back as Nebraska's football coach — but just temporarily.

Osborne, already the interim athletic director, on Wednesday declared himself interim head coach until he hires a successor to Bill Callahan.
The interim coach designation lets Osborne visit prospective recruits away from campus, athletic department communications chief Randy York said Thursday.

The 70-year-old Osborne passed the NCAA certification test on his first try Wednesday, York said. Osborne went on the road to recruit Thursday and Friday, and the school sent a letter notifying the Big 12 of Osborne's new title, York said.

Once a hire is made, Osborne could continue to recruit until the new coach assembles a full staff of nine assistants, York said.

As the Cornhuskers' head coach from 1973 to 1997, Osborne won 255 games and three national championships.

Osborne said in a radio interview with the Husker Sports Network on Wednesday that he hoped to have a new coach selected by next week. He already interviewed Buffalo coach Turner Gill and LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini and spoke informally with Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe, according to media reports.

Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly told local radio station WCKY on Wednesday that he had not been contacted by Nebraska.

Two assistants from Callahan's staff, defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove and cornerbacks coach Phil Elmassian, are no longer recruiting for Nebraska, York said.  
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Steve Pederson heading back to Pittsburgh
Omaha World Herald wrote:Pittsburgh named Pederson athletic director at a lunchtime press conference on campus. It returned him to the position he held from 1996 through 2002, when he was largely praised for his work with the Panthers. The Pitt position opened when Jeff Long resigned in September to become athletic director at Arkansas. "I refuse to let the program gravitate into mediocrity," Pederson said as he announced the firing of coach Dave Wannstedt. "We won't surrender the Big East to West Virginia and South Florida." Pittsburgh went 4-7 this season after going 6-6 last season and 5-6 in 2005 in Wannstedt's three seasons. Pederson is rumored to be looking at Buffalo coach Turner Gill to be Wannstedt's replacement. "I just want to screw Nebraska one more time" he said at the Press Conference.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Too funny, I saw the headline this morning, but had to go back and look at it to see where you article split off from the OWH article...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Mad props, bro.

-Big E
Stable genius.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Pelini is the new coach, according to espn.com.  Announcement will be on Monday.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3135858
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Or is he? Bo and Osborne both mention that "they haven't heard of this news."

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/200 ... 496911.txt
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

And more coverage:
http://journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php
Reached by phone by the Journal Star, Pelini denied the report.

"I honestly don't know where they're getting their information," Pelini said.
Tom Osborne was just reached.

He was asked if there was any truth to ESPN's report that Bo Pelini will be hired as Nebraska's coach.

"I'm not going to comment," Osborne said. "There are so many reports with the Internet and the radio and all of that. When the time comes, they'll be an annoucement and it will be final."

He said such an annoucement is still "a couple two or three days away."

Osborne added: "We've interviewed several people. I don't know if we'll interview anybody else. We're just going to let things take their course."
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Coyote wrote:Steve Pederson heading back to Pittsburgh
Omaha World Herald wrote:Pittsburgh named Pederson athletic director at a lunchtime press conference on campus. It returned him to the position he held from 1996 through 2002, when he was largely praised for his work with the Panthers. The Pitt position opened when Jeff Long resigned in September to become athletic director at Arkansas. "I refuse to let the program gravitate into mediocrity," Pederson said as he announced the firing of coach Dave Wannstedt. "We won't surrender the Big East to West Virginia and South Florida." Pittsburgh went 4-7 this season after going 6-6 last season and 5-6 in 2005 in Wannstedt's three seasons. Pederson is rumored to be looking at Buffalo coach Turner Gill to be Wannstedt's replacement. "I just want to screw Nebraska one more time" he said at the Press Conference.
OK, at the risk of sounding gullible, was this accurate??  I mean, it's hilarious if he actually said it (and even if he didn't), i just couldn't imagine him saying that :)
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Does anybody feel like the 1950s and 60s are happening all over again for Nebraska football?

Great recruiter, terrible coach Bill Jennings leads NU through its worst decade ever. In comes Bob Devaney who takes a team with obvious talent, ads some passion and fire and -- voila! Nebraska plays for (but loses) a national title by 1965.

I think with Bo at the helm, the halcyon days will be back pretty quickly.  At the very least, no more teams hanging 50 points on the blackshirts (unless they go into the occasional triple overtime. ) :D
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

^I hope but I'm not going to be over optomistic.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The rumored coaches he is going to bring in are interesting. We will have to see.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'm looking forward to the first time Bo punches out an opposing coach (like Bill Snyder), or costs the team 45 yards in penalties (like MSU Alamo Bowl).  

I say this only half jokingly.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Well considering Bill Snyder is one of the biggest babe-girly bags of all time (sorry I just wanted to say babe,) that is just fine with me.  Also, I will gladly take 45 yards in penalties EACH Saturday in replacement of Cosgrove...actually make that 90 yards.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Half time at the Sugar Bowl:

After a shaky start it looks like LSU's defense has settled down. Bo is getting a lot of good camera exposure.
I hope they mention just one more time he is coming to Nebraska.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

There it is. Bo pronounced a Husker again. LSU kicking |expletive|.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:There it is. Bo pronounced a Husker again. LSU kicking |expletive|.
Hopefully they ink that contract tomorrow...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bo Pelini in the French Quarter at 3 a.m. after the Sugal Bowl win:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

And would you not be wasted at 3 in the morning in the french quarter....