Osborne Hired to Replace Peterson

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Scuzz wrote: Gary - I totally agree with you.  That's why it's my belief that Craig Bohl at NDSU will be the next coach of your beloved Huskers.  
heck will freeze over before that happens. Same goes for Turner.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bill Callahan press conference:

"I feel responsible for Peterson getting fired"

he knows he is done!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

BREAKING NEWS: Osborne expected to return to NU athletic department

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10159845
Nebraska has set a press conference for 5:15 p.m. today where it is expected that former Nebraska football coach Tom Osborne will be named to a role within the NU athletic department.

Osborne met with NU Chancellor Harvey Perlman at 11 a.m. today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

BREAKING NEWS: Perlman announces Osborne will be interim athletic director

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1000
LINCOLN — Tom Osborne returned to the NU athletic department Tuesday, charged with uplifting a Husker sports nation down and divided over firings and dismal results on the football field.

A day after axing controversial athletic director Steve Pederson, University of Nebraska-Lincoln Chancellor Harvey Perlman turned to one of the state's most respected and beloved figures to run the department on an interim basis.

"I am very pleased that Tom Osborne has agreed to help bring some leadership and direction to our athletic program," Perlman said in a written statement.

"Tom is committed to making the entire program successful. He brings the right experience, an understanding of Nebraska and our aspirations. I look forward to working with him."
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Welcome back Dr. Tom!!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Question!

How is Perlman keeping his job through all of this?  He is the one that hired Pedersen in the first place, then gave him a contract extension back in July, and is the reason NU is paying much more to buy Pedersen out.  ANDDDDDD he stated his reasoning for firing Pedersen was that he found out in July or August that Pedersen's relationships with staff, alumni, etc. was very poor.  BUT THAT IS WHEN HE EXTENDED HIS CONTRACT 5 MORE YEARS.  Seriously, |expletive| fire Perlman while you're at it.  I'm sorry for this rant but the poor performance of the NU football team has forced me to become a Nebrasketball fan, and I think that is punishment enough.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10159821
Perlman admitted fault for extending Pederson's contract through 2013 and bumping his salary to $500,000. That was July, when Bill Callahan was still dreaming of a Big 12 championship. That was also before Perlman became aware of dissension within the athletic department.

Had he known then what he knows now, the university wouldn't owe Pederson more than $2.2 million in compensation. That money will be taken from private NU Foundation funds.

"You know, it's really interesting that a person in my position ends up learning everything last," Perlman said.

Over the past few months, several significant employees had left Pederson. The most severe blow came two weeks ago when chief fundraiser Paul Meyers walked out.

Perlman spoke to Meyers and others, and he gleaned information that contributed to Pederson's termination.

Where was that information before Pederson signed a new contract?

Before extending Pederson's deal, Perlman conducted a review of the A.D.'s leadership, he said. He invited every athletic department employee to respond confidentially to him if they wished to weigh in on Pederson.

Perlman heard from two people, he said, and one praised Pederson.

Perlman said in July that it would be difficult to find fault in Pederson's operation of the athletic department. Some people may not like him, Perlman said, but "if you don't make some people unhappy, you're probably not doing your job."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Osborne Welcomes Former Players Back

http://www.ketv.com/sports/14369698/detail.html

From the KETV Channel 7 website:
LINCOLN, Neb. -- There was more evidence on Wednesday of the changing climate inside the University of Nebraska Athletic Department.

One of the criticisms against former athletic director Steve Pederson was that he was inaccessible, and some former players felt locked out.

On Wednesday, former Husker and current Lincoln radio sports talk show host Jason Peter told KETV NewsWatch 7 that former players are happy that Osborne is now running the Big Red.

"Now we all feel like we can go down there anytime. We are welcome," Peter said.

Interim NU athletic director Tom Osborne has sent an e-mail to every former player, both walk-ons and scholarship athletes, telling them they're welcome at Memorial Stadium any time. In the e-mail, Osborne said: "You are a valuable member of this family and a key factor in our school's storied history of tradition of excellence … Walk in, say you are a former player, and I promise you, you will be welcomed with open arms."

Osborne said in the e-mail that the players are always welcome, and they will have access to a limited number of tickets and sideline passes. He said players will be able to buy season tickets next year -- suggesting that Osborne intends to stay awhile.

Osborne is also having athletic department staff display the pictures of the football All-Americans again. Those pictures that had been in storage recently.
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

The $64,000 Question is... will Tom Osborne be the one to name Nebraska's next football coach?

If so, would he bring back Frank Solich (currently coaching at Ohio University)?

And just to throw another name out there... Tony Samuel, former Nebraska assistant, former New Mexico State head coach, currently head coach at Southeast Missouri State. I know his won-loss record as a head coach isn't the greatest, but the same could be said of Turner Gill.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

GaryFL wrote:The $64,000 Question is... will Tom Osborne be the one to name Nebraska's next football coach?

If so, would he bring back Frank Solich (currently coaching at Ohio University)?

And just to throw another name out there... Tony Samuel, former Nebraska assistant, former New Mexico State head coach, currently head coach at Southeast Missouri State. I know his won-loss record as a head coach isn't the greatest, but the same could be said of Turner Gill.

First, I think that this is going to be a long term interim AD.

He is not showing his cards.  IF he fires Callahan, I have heard Gill, I have heard Pelini.  The interesting thing I heard today was that he is friends with Florida's coach Ervin Myer.  He might call him for advise.  Good coaches usually know good assistant coaches.  Who knows we might bull out some young stud.

I still have this feeling that TO might  drag his feet for a year.  Let Billy make some changes and see what happens from there.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

GaryFL wrote:The $64,000 Question is... will Tom Osborne be the one to name Nebraska's next football coach?
Well, uh, wasn't he brought in (brought back) to clean up this mess? :)
If I remember correctly, the REAL reasons for firing Frankie were political and personal and not really related to his competence as a coach.
but the same could be said of Turner Gill.
They really cleaned house when they fired Frankie. The damage has been done and it will take some effort and time to get a staff together that can really be effective. Will there be another wholesale cleaning? Are there any on the coaching staff who are worth salvaging? (I don't know, I'm asking.) :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Insult in book doesn't ruffle Osborne
bill wrote:Callahan is quoted as calling Osborne a "crusty old ( F _ _ _)" and accusing Osborne of "trying to run things from Washington" in a soon-to-be-released book that chronicles the career of fired football trainer Doak Ostergard.
tom wrote:". . . I understand that head football coaches, like everyone else, have emotions," Osborne said. "I'm not surprised that my long-term influence on the program could sometimes be felt as a controlling force even while I was away, but that was never the intent.
bill wrote:"That Osborne, trying to run things from Washington," Callahan said, according to Ostergard.
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Brad wrote:in a soon-to-be-released book that chronicles the career of fired football trainer Doak Ostergard.
So now they publish biographies about football trainers? Maybe Andy Warhol was right.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Good article on the ESPN front page..
Huskers fans relieved to have Osborne back manning the helm

By Elizabeth Merrill
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: October 19, 2007
Comment
Email
Print
COLUMBUS, Neb. -- Cattle trucks rumble down Highway 30 on another dreary day in mediocrity. The sun has been trying its darnedest to poke its head out, a DJ crackles between hog reports and outdated songs. But the rain keeps coming, and the banks of the Loup Power Canal are about to give.

AP Photo/Eric Gay
Nebraska fans are known for their dedication and their civility.
They do not ask for much in these parts. Water for the crops, good health for the family, a 10-win season for the football team. And like most towns in Nebraska, the football team is everywhere in Columbus. The grocery store on the corner sells Husker Chops. The garbage-truck driver who runs Big Red Sanitation has a bumper sticker that says he's a Cornhusker. He's the proud pops of Cory Schlesinger, one of the last great Nebraska fullbacks, and these days the most depressing thing in a state whose motto was once "The Good Life" is that nearly every sentence ends with "one of the last great…"
"Nebraska has earned a lot of notoriety because of our football team," Dave Ernst says as he sips coffee in front of a newspaper that chronicles the latest football debacle in 120-point type. "When it's not doing well, the psyche of the state is affected."
For almost half a century, football was Nebraska's identity. They dressed in red, wore corncobs on their head and gathered on Saturdays to watch their beloved team beat the tar out of an overmatched opponent. They won with dignity, stood up and clapped for the poor souls who took the beatings, then spent six days pondering how the Cornhuskers would annihilate the next team.
Nobody quite knows how to handle their latest role as the whupped. In the closing minutes of Saturday's 45-14 loss to Oklahoma State, on homecoming, the stadium fell eerily silent and the classiest fans in college football temporarily lost their manners. A huge banner asked the embattled athletic director to surrender. A middle-aged woman yelled, "You're a loser, Callahan!"
And then there were those who couldn't move, even when the score was 38-0 at halftime, even when the red balloons prematurely filled the sky when the Cornhuskers finally registered a first down. Ernst, who owns a car lot in Columbus, was among the minority who stood and clapped for the losers.
"That's what I do, win or lose," he says, "because that's what I think I should do as a fan."
In every good fairy tale, there is a hero and a villain. Nebraskans don't generally hate. That would be considered rude. But for the better part of four years, they've harbored a deep resentment for Steve Pederson.

AP Photo/Nati Harnik
Steve Pederson's tenure in Lincoln was rocky, as he did little to keep former Husker greats attached to the program.
His hire as Nebraska's athletic director was hailed as a savvy move in 2002, the native son from North Platte coming home after a successful run at Pittsburgh. Athletic directors, generally, aren't known by even the most hard-core fans. But Pederson made national headlines in 2003 when he fired Frank Solich after a 9-3 season. Using catchphrases like "gravitate to mediocrity" and "we won't surrender the Big 12 to Oklahoma and Texas," Pederson rattled a state and immediately irked its biggest legend, Tom Osborne. The AD hadn't consulted Osborne, who won three national championships in four years and had handpicked Solich as his successor.
Pederson embarked upon a coaching search, alone, and was turned down by at least four candidates before hiring Bill Callahan, who'd just been fired by the Oakland Raiders.
The moves immediately created a divide between the past and the present, both in the state and in the athletic department. Former players felt shut out by the new regime. Osborne distanced himself from the program.
Ground-based football with massive, homegrown offensive linemen was replaced by the West Coast Offense and a playbook bigger than the Omaha phone directory. Though Nebraskans are often adverse to change, they gave it a taste. Seventy-thousand fans showed up for Callahan's first spring game. They oooed and aaahed at the passes and the massive numbers. They had no idea what was coming.
There was the 70-10 loss at Texas Tech, when fans became convinced that Callahan didn't understand the culture of Nebraska football and the embarrassment a state feels over such a slaughtering. There was the 5-6 season, the "[expletive] hillbillies" comment, the four seasons of hope and ultimately surrendering the Big 12 to Oklahoma and Texas.
"It's almost like a glass house got built around the program," says NU booster Jay Noddle. "I think an awful lot of people felt like they weren't a part of it. They couldn't touch and feel it.
"It's kind of like the program lost its heart and soul."
A former player set up a Web site called savetheprogram.com. This site is dedicated to one thing -- The removal of Steve Pederson as athletic director of the Univeristy of Nebraska-Lincoln, the Web site says. A letterman's meeting was planned this week to discuss the direction of the program. By late Monday, it was scrapped. Pederson was fired.
Live TV was interrupted on Monday to air the news conference announcing Pederson's firing. On Tuesday, the local stations broke programming again to show Osborne stepping to a podium as Nebraska's interim athletic director.
For most of Monday afternoon, a local radio station in Omaha played "Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead," between commercial breaks. At DJ's Dugout, a local watering hole, roughly 50 people cheered and high-fived as news of Pederson's demise hit the airwaves.
Kevin Kugler, an Omaha radio host who was broadcasting Monday's show from the bar, said fans rushed home to put on their Huskers gear.
At a history lecture on the Nebraska campus this week, a professor broke up the monotony of class by asking the 100-plus students, "Who here is happy Pederson got fired?"
All the students in the room raised their hands.
Bill Callahan walks off the practice field near a building that bears Osborne's name. Every day is a new confrontation complete with bright lights, hastily called news conferences and probing questions. On Wednesday, a media type sees former NU defensive coordinator Charlie McBride wandering around campus and leaks that Callahan has been fired and McBride, who's eight years retired, will take over.

Bruce Thorson/US Presswire
The Huskers got off to a good start this season, but three bad losses could cost Bill Callahan his job.
On Thursday, the clatter is about a new book that says Callahan dissed Osborne and called him a "crusty old [expletive]."
In the NFL, Callahan learned that life isn't defined by one game, or even four. In Nebraska, he's found out how quickly one month can change a man's life. On Sept. 15, the Cornhuskers were back on the national stage. They were undefeated and ranked 14th in the country and had "College GameDay" and No. 1 USC in town. Three humiliating losses later, Callahan's fate is seemingly sealed.
He walks off the practice field, and the wife of one of the assistants is holding a basket of cookies and asks Callahan if he wants one. He hesitates, then says why not. With 1.7 million people breathing down his neck, why worry about calories?
Callahan supporters -- and they are scarce now -- say he was an outsider who was never really given a chance, an NFL guy who grew up in a big city and was never embraced by a corn-growing, football-loving state.
"You do the best you can," Callahan says. "You treat people right, with respect and dignity. There's nothing you can do.
"I don't think Bob Devaney was born here, either. In coaching, wherever you're at, you make it your home and do the best you can."
It is just before 7 o'clock, gray skies are giving way to darkness, and Tom Osborne walks to the parking lot and fumbles for the keys to his SUV. He is unassuming -- his briefcase looks more like a black beach bag stuffed with papers; his keys are operated the old-fashioned way, with no remote.
A man who's been waiting in the parking lot asks for his autograph, and Osborne gives him a grandfatherly smile. "Got it!" the guy says to a buddy as they rush off.

Bruce Thorson/US Presswire
Many are hoping Tom Osborne will be able to restore Nebraska football to national-title contender status.
Osborne seems so out of place in this new job -- he spent part of the day trying to find his new office -- and yet so suited. One of his first orders of business was to send an e-mail to all of the ex-players, welcoming them to stop by, visit his third-floor office, or stand on the sidelines during games.
"I can only speak for me personally, as well as the guys I talk to on a daily basis," says former defensive star Chad Kelsay, "but we feel like things are in good hands now."
Osborne says the feeling of disconnect was natural. For 40 years, young and old men could walk into South Stadium and find a familiar face. Continuity and repetition were just the Nebraska way. But even Osborne knows that times change.
He walks past a statue of himself, bronzed in far different times. He clutches onto his umbrella. It's about to rain again.
Elizabeth Merrill is a senior writer for ESPN.com. She can be reached at merrill2323@hotmail.com.
15-17, 26, 32
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Any one have a prediction for Texas?  Remember its at Texas too..
15-17, 26, 32
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think Texas is down this year.

51-10
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Although not a Big Red fanatic --- I read the article and listen to my friends talk who are Big Red fans --- I know they want the old traditions to come back in but i think the column by Lee Barfknecht - Nebraska should not turn entirely to its past --- is something they should think about.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10163714
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't think anyone (of importance at least) is calling for Solich/Gill/etc to come back and coach.  But perhaps putting the photos of our past All Americans BACK UP (after Pederson felt compelled to have them removed??) in the athletic department hallway wasn't too much to ask!   Letting past alum on the sidelines??  Doesn't seem too excessive.  I'm curious what Pederson was thinking when he apparently sought to cut those ties to the past.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

T.O. is recently known to love the spread offense - read Florida - he mentioned watching 6 games a weekend and the only game he mentioned explicitly was the Florida vs LSU game. Pederson |expletive| up by hiring an east coast analyst who got Doak fired and made Meyers resign as a fundraiser. When they allowed that UCF Huston - Jeff are you related? - on the sidelines but not former all-pros - signed his ticket to Siberia.

Pederson did more to destroy Nebraska than anyone in recent memory.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I like the changes Osborne has made but I've not heard a single fan wanting us to completely turn back the clock.  I did enjoy were Osborne gave props to Meyer and his offense. ]

Greg
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

When I worked for the Athletic Department, everyone had the saying "Dedicated to Excellence" on their name tag.  Pedersen changed this when to started to "Everyone is Accountable."  How the **** is that supposed to be motivating?

Fortunately, in talking to one of my ex-coworkers, she told be removing those was one of Tom's first moves.
Last edited by joeglow on Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

HAHAHAHA that is |expletive| hilarious.  I have a feeling the only job pedersen is going to be able to land is an AD position for north platte high school.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Alright, I have just been informed of a rumor that apparently has some credibility.  The rumor is as follows:  To is going to hire Bo Pelini as the new head coach of Nebraska, the anouncement will come only days after the Colorado game if LSU is not in the SEC Championship.  Along with this Pelini is said to be leaving the D-coordinator spot open for Mike Stoops if he wants it.  That is the rumor I heard, again it is just a RUMOR but it does have some credibility.
UNOstudent
Human Relations

Post by UNOstudent »

I will buy into that rumor. I find it hard for the recent JC recruit, DE Simi Kuli, would pick Nebraska after he watched the Florida/LSU game, unless some changes were happening at the end of the year. Maybe Bo told him that he plans to be at Nebraska next year and asked him to join.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The is the same rumor that generated the day after Pederson was fired.  It originated with John Fricke in Denver, whom I believe is involved with Fox Sports.

You can check the forums at Huskerpedia.com for the evolution of this rumor (which I think has SOME credibility, but the dates and assistants keep changing).

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard the same rumor a week ago but It also had a big name offensive coordinator attached to it along with Pelini and Stoops.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I hope it's true, but yeah, that rumor's been floating around Huskerpedia for a while now.

BTW, this Simi Kuli guy is awesome!  He's coming to Nebraska for all the right reasons considering the teams he turned down (LSU, USC, Oklahoma). It couldn't possibly be for self-interest (unlike Gray and Gabbert -- who I can't blame for splitting). The fact that this five-star, JUCO DE stud is picking NU in the middle of the school's most tumultuous period just because "Nebraska will always be Nebraska" suggests he will be the kind of on-field leader this team sorely needs.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Any more recruits leave since the Texas loss?
15-17, 26, 32
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I really doubt that the texas loss had a negative effect on recruiting, Nebraska played a dam good game.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah really... if anything, the Texas loss may have momentarily stemmed the loss of recruits.

Although in all likelihood... Texas is the worst of the 4 last opponents we have.  I suspect the hill we're sliding down only gets steeper from here.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Was Osborne's slip clue to NU future?

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10170477
Nebraska's interim athletic director appeared to hint of a football coaching change in an interview with Omaha television station KETV that was posted to the channel's Web site.

Asked about the future of Nebraska's walk-on program, Osborne said: "That will depend somewhat on the new coaching staff, because they'll have to implement, and I can't coach from the athletic director's position."

Randy York, NU associate athletic director for communications, said it was "unfortunate" if Osborne's comment was misconstrued and that the former coach did not intend to speculate on coach Bill Callahan's job.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Brings a tear to the eye.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Brings a tear to the eye.
I know... The good old days.  Hopefully we have that again some day soon!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I suppose you've seen all the 'Project Husker' videos this DTsker fellow has made on YouTube.  They're really quite good.  They've chronicled all the ups and downs from Solich through much of the Callahan era.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That video gave me permanent goose bumps.  I hate Steve Pedersen with my whole heart.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Yeah too bad they are gonna get spanked by Kansas this weekend.  :yes:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:Yeah too bad they are gonna get spanked by Kansas this weekend.  :yes:
Well then you just watch the video again and know its going to get better....
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Kansas has decades of blow outs to make up for as well.

I'll watch nonetheless... certainly it will be interesting to see how Joe Ganz leads the offense.  Hopefully the running game will show a little more life with him at the helm.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I honestly think Nebraska is gonna win saturday.  I'm betting against the spread for sure.