Osborne Hired to Replace Peterson

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MTO
City Council

Osborne Hired to Replace Peterson

Post by MTO »

If this doesn't turn out to be true in the next 24 hours please delete this.

A friend of mine has a subscription to some husker site and it said that peterson and cosgrove have been fired.
15-17, 26, 32

Post by Guest »

The rumor of all rumors.  I have a hard time believing it... but in this football crazed state... I guess anything is possible.

I suppose the powers that be could make the assumption that things couldn't get any worse this season with an interim staff... might as well start looking now.

If this rumor spreads the way most football rumors spread in this state... it should be discussed on the Travis Justice show tonight (the special, one hour edition. :P )
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

(says stargazer)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Husker Illustrated's message board set a record tonight at something like 1600.  Yikes.

Edit: its actually closer to 2500, double yikes
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

I'd be willing to bet Cosgrove is out within the next day or two and that will be it for now. Pedersen and Callahan are both dead men walking, but it would look bad if they were fired before the season is over.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I don't think Callahan is necessarily a dead man walking. If Pederson and Cosgrove have been kicked to the curb, that should be enough fallout for the time being. If NU goes 0-5 or even 1-4 the rest of the way, then he's probably done. 2-3 or better, plus a bowl victory, I see BC getting another year.

My sentiment? If this rumor is true, I think it's ideal. Pederson is problem #1 for starting this mess in the first place, Cosgrove is problem #2 for coaching the first Nebraska defense to allow 4 40-plus scores (with five games to go) in a season.  Callahan, on the other hand, while clearly problem #3, I actually like his offense (except for the last two outings) and I think we need to retain him to hang on to much of the highly-touted recruiting class.

Best case scenario:

Osborne becomes AD
Callahan goes on a one-season probation
Some motivational super guru (Jason Peter perhaps?) takes over as interim DC (with a formal search launced at the end of the season).
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

How can Callahan stay, but the rest go? That makes no sense to me. If a new AD comes in he is going to want his own guy. Besides that Callahan has done nothing to prove he's a competent coach...NOTHING. Name me his 3 biggest wins. Tell me who hired Cosgrove. Tell me who is in charge of this debacle? Callahan is ultimately more culpable than Cosgrove and you can't fire one and not the other.

You like his offense? I find it almost offensible.

-They have almost no ground game to speak of
-The blocking is horrible
-The vertical game is pretty much zero
-They rarely throw to the tight ends
-They are slow
-The playbook is too complicated evidently
-They usually break the huddle with like 10 seconds on the play clock and way too often it expires (no chance of a audible)
-A 5th year senior who has been in the system 2 years has to run to the sideline to get every single play
-etc, etc

Sounds pretty awesome, ehh?
c dub

Post by c dub »

As an ISU alum I'm not enjoying the season much but if anything were to help, its this disaster in Lincoln  :)

Post by Guest »

It's true... the offense had been hobbling alone on talent alone... Callahan is only marginally better than Cosgrove as an offensive coordinator... and it's finally caught up to them (perhaps with a little de-motivational support from the defense).

I find it annoying that Travis Justice refers to our over rated recruiting as a major factor in this season's demise ... when it is more than obvious that a bad enough coaching staff can completely undermine even the best talent.

The opposite effect could be seen when Pelini took over Bohl's job... he turned our supposedly crappy players into one of the best defenses in the country at the time.

Likewise... and outstanding coaching staff can turn even mediocre players into a good team.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is a photo off of Matt's Blog:
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

ThatGuy wrote:How can Callahan stay, but the rest go? That makes no sense to me. If a new AD comes in he is going to want his own guy. Besides that Callahan has done nothing to prove he's a competent coach...NOTHING. Name me his 3 biggest wins. Tell me who hired Cosgrove. Tell me who is in charge of this debacle? Callahan is ultimately more culpable than Cosgrove and you can't fire one and not the other.
Cosgrove's bad defensive coaching started the malaise that spread to the offense in the last two games, imo.  With a competent D to give the offense more opportunities to click, this offense would have been lighting up the board. How can an offense get revved up when the D allows frickin ISU 102 plays?  The Keller-led offense had fire in its belly for the first 5 games (even agaisnt USC), but the hopelessness that Cosgrove's D has brought to the team has now infected the O, too.  Keller seems like the last guy on the team who gives a sh*t.

Yes Callahan has headed a debacle. But the only thing I blame him for is too much crony loyalty.  He should have given Cosgrove a warning after ISU and then the boot after Missouri.

This season is almost assuredly trashed and I don't think it will get turned around.  Callahan has much blame to shoulder.  But this horrible season is Cosgrove's fault. Period.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

As a somewhat unbiased observer of NU football, in all honesty, the talent level gap that NU used to enjoy is gone.  There are some talented players on the NU team, but seriously, the recruiting rankings that NU has received the last several years have been far too generous and NU was over-hyped coming into the season.  NU simply does not have the talent (or coaching) to be in the upper echelons of CBF these days.  And while it's convenient to bag on the D, lest you forget, if it wasn't for a couple big plays by the D, you'd possibly be looking at losses to Wake Forest and Iowa State on top of the other losses this year.

Just my two cents, as a long-suffering Cyclone fan.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan

Post by Guest »

I think the offense had been 'mediocre' at best.  Sure, you can have a few drives throwing the ball around the field with a good arm ... but we've never had any consistent running game.  You can't win games that way.  Add to that questionable offensive play calling... I think Callahan is overrated.  Finally, has anyone noticed that he has nothing bad to say about this team? right to the end?  TO would have something to be upset about even when everything went well.  Callahan likes to focus on 'positives he saw' even in the worst home blow out in 50+ years.  There may be room for that in life... but not in college football.  Callahan has lowered the expectations... and the team has come along with him.  They've become complacent.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I agree that the offense has "looked" mediocre. And I agree that there's been questionable play calling and that the running game is a pitiful, inexcusable shame.

But I also think you guys underestimate the psychological damage that watching the defense set records for ineptitude does to the offense.

Imagine you're an offensive player standing on the sideline. The defense takes the field and you watch as they allow the opposing offense to drive 80 yards for a TD in six plays.  They kickoff and you start on your own 20 and you think, okay, we have to score. We have to answer them before they get the ball back. So you start going. Things are going fairly well, you've made it 40 yards in 5 plays. Just 40 more to go and you've tied it up. Uh-oh. A miscue.  We're backed up ten yards.  Two more plays garner 7 yards. We've got a 4th and 13, gonna have to punt, but maybe we can pin those guys back.

Punt.  Downed on the opponents 3 yard line.  Great job!  Okay D, let's get the ball back with some good field position.

You go to the sidelines and watch as the opposing offense drives 97 yards in 8 plays for a TD.

You take the field again down by 14 with 80 yards of turf in front of you.  You feel the sweat building on your brow. You have to score this time.  You get in a rhythm and, 7 plays later you find yourself on the opponent's 15 yard line. But the opposing defense stiffens and they hold you to a field goal.  You jog back to the sidelines, the score 14-3. Okay no problem, we're still in this. We just need a good series from the D.

The D takes the field and allows the opposing offense a clock-eating 12 play drive that ends in a field goal. You're down by 14 again. You realize this is going to be a long night.  You're only hope to win the game is to score every time you have the ball. Any turnovers and you're through.  No pressure there, right?

That's what this year's offense is up against. An impossible standard set by the terrible play of the defense.

Now imagine a D that routinely causes three-and-outs, forces turnovers and holds offenses to two TDs or less per game.  Do you think the offense is going to play with confidence or desperation knowing they have a smack-down, ferocious defense? Knowing that they have the time to get in a rythym, pound the rock, make a mistake or two without it being a game breaker. Do you suppose an offense with that kind of psycological cushion excells or flounders?

We'll never know with this team. Not with Cosgrove calling the defensive shots.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Chancellor Harvey Perlman to release news at 2:15.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10159021
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

http://www.ketv.com/news/14343700/detail.html

The University of Nebraska Lincoln Chancellor Harvey Perlman will hold a news conference at 4 p.m. Monday.

KETV Newswatch 7 will air the news conference live on channel 7.

KETV has learned that athletic director Steve Pederson met with Chancellor Perlman just before 1:30 p.m. at the University of Nebraska.

There's no word on what the two discussed. But Pederson has come under fire recently after the Huskers' two consecutive blow out losses.

The meeting lasted five to seven minutes. Afterward Pederson walked out and when asked by reporters what happened, he said, "No comment."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

BREAKING SPORTS NEWS: Nebraska athletic director fired

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10159021

Nebraska Athletic Director Steve Pederson has been fired.
Pederson met with University of Nebraska at Lincoln Chancellor Harvey Perlman at 1:30 p.m. on Monday at Perlman's office for five minutes. Pederson declined an interview request, saying he had to attend another meeting. Perlman's office said the chancellor would issue a news release at 2:15 p.m. Perlman has scheduled a 4 p.m. news conference.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

He gone! Callahan can officially start counting the days...if not hours.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Thanks for the updates, Brad. The suspense was killing me.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Hire Pelini TODAY.  Then figure out how to pay off Callahan.

I propose a 2% statewide entertainment tax, but just on Runzas and Valentino's.

-Big E
Stable genius.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Big E wrote:Hire Pelini TODAY.  Then figure out how to pay off Callahan.

I propose a 2% statewide entertainment tax, but just on Runzas and Valentino's.

-Big E
:lol:

If we can guarantee Pelini as HC, I'd be happy to let Callahan go. But if it means another exhaustive and humbling search after the season, I'm not so sure.

Some people over at huskerpedia have been mentioning Turner Gil as an ideal replacement for Callahan. Any thoughts?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Matt Perault is also guessing Gill
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Turner Gill has been head coach at historically atrocious Buffalo for a year and a half. He's making some progress there, but I think it's a leap considering the expectations at Nebraska. You guys need someone who's ready to compete at a high level, not a nostalgia hire. Besides, it's tough to fire one of your own if he isn't up to coaching the alma mater.

What I would do is try to identify the next great coach who's currently in a league like the MAC, Mountain West, or even I-AA. Don't laugh -- five years ago, you could have had Urban Meyer. Unfortunately, this is a down year for such candidates, but nobody would have thought Brian Kelly (formerly of Central Michigan) would have Cincinnati in the top 15 -- where, might I add, Nebraska is not. Find the right guy and let him grow into the job.

And before you go getting any ideas, Jim Leavitt isn't going anywhere.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

lol, i think omaha.com has crashed with so many people trying to read the news.  can't get in.[/img]
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

DTO's got to love this:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootba ... y/10410319
Report: Nebraska AD Pederson fired; Callahan might be next

Dennis Dodd Oct. 15, 2007
By Dennis Dodd
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson has been relieved of his duties, according to a Wichita television station.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

five years ago, you could have had Urban Meyer
Guys like Urban Meyer have got it easy when they go to any Florida school... there is so much raw in-state talent.  No offense, but I believe the situation at USF is no different.  Unless you really suck, a position at Florida, Miami, FSU, UCF, and now USF... is almost a guarantee of a winning program ... and if you're actually a good coach... it is almost a guarantee of competing for a national title.

I don't know what the answer is for Nebraska.  The big argument against Callahan... has been his lack of connecting with Nebraska tradition ("He doesn't 'get' it).  But I don't know how any coach, who comes from an entirely different program/geographic region, is going to succeed in doing that.  And I am skeptical that they can put together a coaching staff which actually has those ties to Nebraska's past... unless it's someone who has in-direct experience with it as a Nebraska opponent.  Say... someone from the 'school of' Haden Fry/Bill Snyder (lots of success stories there).

Either way... Nebraska fans are going to have to be patient, once again... and put up with potentially even more humbling performances on the field in the coming years.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Tom Osborne is expected to say yes to being the next AD.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They are saying with the number of players gathering for the press conference that Callihan and Cosgrove will both be gone by the end of the day.  I guess we will know everything in 10 min.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

:lol:  at the Seinfeld clip, coyote!

Wow. Cleaning house today? Who steps in?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

No house cleaning today.

Only Peterson, no replacement named.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I guess I would have figured that they'd just let Callahan and company finish the season out... while a coach search went on behind the scenes.   But, I don't suppose things could play out any worse this season with a skeleton staff of assistants running the team.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:The big argument against Callahan... has been his lack of connecting with Nebraska tradition ("He doesn't 'get' it).  But I don't know how any coach, who comes from an entirely different program/geographic region, is going to succeed in doing that.
While I don't want to point out the obvious, or be constantly condescending, I would wager that had he actually put on a show and ACTED like he gave a rats |expletive|, the reception would have been different.  It's one thing to fail.  It's another thing to fail while telling everyone else they don't know what they're doing.

Don't underestimate the value of winning.  I think Nebraskans would embrace Hillary Clinton as AD and Ernie Chambers as HC if they went 60-3 over five years.  Throw any French person in there as volleyball coach, as well.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Boy did the rumor mill explode today. I was dancing when they were suggesting that AD Tom Osborne was going to groom Assistant Dave Rimington to be the next AD. Turner Gill and Tom Rathman coming back as coaches... Oh well at least Peddie and his fake smile is gone.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Well, at least we all know that Steve Pederson has a future in used car sales, with a smile as fake as that, he can go a long way in that business...
GaryFL
Home Owners Association

Post by GaryFL »

Stargazer wrote:Guys like Urban Meyer have got it easy when they go to any Florida school... there is so much raw in-state talent.  No offense, but I believe the situation at USF is no different.  Unless you really suck, a position at Florida, Miami, FSU, UCF, and now USF... is almost a guarantee of a winning program ... and if you're actually a good coach... it is almost a guarantee of competing for a national title.
It's not that simple. Florida is full of college football programs that suck. Florida International is the worst team in I-A. Central Florida has long talked a big game and delivered nothing but mediocrity. Florida Atlantic is still struggling to gain traction. Florida wasn't anything special until Steve Spurrier came aboard in 1990. The states of Texas and California also produce tons of I-A football talent, and they've got plenty of schools that suck too, so why should Florida be any different?

As for Urban Meyer, he's still playing with recruits that were brought in by the much-maligned Ron Zook. Meyer also won big at Bowling Green and Utah. He's simply a top-notch head coach.
Stargazer wrote:I don't know what the answer is for Nebraska.  The big argument against Callahan... has been his lack of connecting with Nebraska tradition ("He doesn't 'get' it).  But I don't know how any coach, who comes from an entirely different program/geographic region, is going to succeed in doing that.
That's the wrong way to look at it.

Pitt wanted a guy who understood the program's tradition. So they hired Dave Wannstedt.

Alabama wanted a guy who understood the program's tradition. So they hired Mike Shula.

The point is, you need the best man for the job, not the best link to the program's past. I know a lot of Alabama fans, and boy oh boy, do those people live in the past. They still haven't accepted the death of Bear Bryant. You don't want to end up like them.

He's probably not available, but you know who'd be a great fit for Nebraska? Rich Rodriguez, of West Virginia. Runs the spread option offense, but it's very much geared to the running game. It's not the wishbone, but it's a power running game that speaks to Nebraska's past, and to the kind of players the walk-on program produced. The whole "West Coast Offense" thing was a square peg/round hole proposition from day one. I know Oklahoma switched to one under Stoops, but they were awful in the 1990s and needed a change. Nebraska was still successful with its "antiquated" attack.

Failing that, I'd talk to Paul Johnson at Navy or Jim Grobe at Wake Forest. With the cachet of the Nebraska name behind them, those guys could put together a serious power running attack and a strong defense.
Either way... Nebraska fans are going to have to be patient, once again... and put up with potentially even more humbling performances on the field in the coming years.
It's not THAT bad. Nebraska fans aren't accustomed to 8-4 seasons, but they'd better get used to the idea. Not because the program is in decline, but because there's a lot more parity than there used to be. Everybody in the Big 12 is spending money on football, and has talented players and coaches. You just can't beat Kansas 39 years in a row anymore. All over college football, the "traditional powers" aren't as traditionally powerful as they used to be. There's too much competition. If Nebraska makes its hiring/firing decisions based on an antiquated view of its position in college football -- like when they fired Frank Solich -- they risk a much greater slide. Florida State, Miami, Alabama, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Penn State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Washington, even USC before Carroll have all looked pretty crappy at some point in the last 15 years. No one is immune.

My advice, as a mostly-neutral observer of Nebraska football, is to find somebody who can run a good program, develop players, and keep you in the Big 12 North race year in year out. Anybody who can go 9-3 every year can go 12-0 in a peak season. (Or 6-6 in a down season, but such is the nature of the game these days.)
Scuzz
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Scuzz »

GaryFL wrote:What I would do is try to identify the next great coach who's currently in a league like the MAC, Mountain West, or even I-AA.
Gary - I totally agree with you.  That's why it's my belief that Craig Bohl at NDSU will be the next coach of your beloved Huskers.  Bohl's team is currently #1 in D1-AA and they are still in a "transition" year meaning they are not eligible for the playoffs this year.  The Bison have a 10-game winning streak (the longest streak in all of D1) and he understands the Husker traditions.  The only problem is how he left Nebraska during the Solich year's downfall, but I think he's more of an answer than Turner is (IMO).
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Good thing Callahan got that contract extension after beating Nevada. Husker fans, your future is what Minnesota is like now. They have more national championships than you, but have been terrible for the last 35 years, no more tradition. That is what you have to look forward to, enjoy.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Sounds a little personal there, Harpoon.
Scuzz
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Scuzz »

Harpoon wrote:Good thing Callahan got that contract extension after beating Nevada. Husker fans, your future is what Minnesota is like now. They have more national championships than you, but have been terrible for the last 35 years, no more tradition. That is what you have to look forward to, enjoy.
Don't even get me started with the Goph's harpoon.  It's been difficult for me to be a fan for so long.  At least I know that no one can say I'm a bandwagon fan when (I hope it happens in my life) they finally make it back to the top in college football.