US Senior Open in Omaha (July 11th-14th)

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

US Senior Open in Omaha (July 11th-14th)

Post by joeglow »

U.S. Senior Open looking at Omaha
Omaha World Herald wrote:Omaha could host the U.S. Senior Open for men, one of the United States Golf Association's top championships, as soon as 2013.

The Omaha Country Club has invited the USGA to consider its recently remodeled and lengthened golf course for a future Senior Open, which has its tournament sites set through 2012.

Nebraska never has held one of the USGA's three Opens — the U.S. Open, the U.S. Women's Open and the U.S. Senior Open.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Omaha World-Herald wrote:For next year's golf event at the Broadmoor resort in Colorado Springs, Colo., the estimated economic impact is $30 million. . . .

Des Moines has been the closest city to Omaha to hold a Senior Open. In 1999 at the Des Moines Golf and Country Club, attendance estimates were 27,000 for each of the three practice rounds and 43,000 for each of the four tournament days, including weekend galleries of 47,200 on Saturday and 51,200 on Sunday.

Gary McCord, a pro golfer and CBS television golf analyst, said, "The people outshined the field, the golf course and everything else."
Des Moines was a big hit in 1999 for the golfers, I would expect just as big a hit if this comes to Omaha.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

$30 million, that would be like an extra CWS!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:$30 million, that would be like an extra CWS!!!
I hear the SaveOmahaCountryClub.org folks are already starting their anti-downtown golf course campaign.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:
Brad wrote:$30 million, that would be like an extra CWS!!!
I hear the SaveOmahaCountryClub.org folks are already starting their anti-downtown golf course campaign.

-Big E

Good Idea :;):  We can put the clubhouse int the basement of the library since the City already owns it, Run down GLM then over to the front lawn of Con Agra, around Heartland of America Park, up the riverfront, hid the green spaces in the Qwest lot, through the wagon train park and back to the library. :;):
psl25201
Home Owners Association

Post by psl25201 »

This is a done deal.  The tournament will be held, I believe, in 2013.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

psl25201 wrote:This is a done deal.  The tournament will be held, I believe, in 2013.
Do you have anything official to support this?  I just checked the USGA's (the governing body of the event) website, and there's nothing listed on there yet for 2013.  I hope its true, but am slightly doubting this.  It'd be a great get for Omaha, but OCC is a relative unknown in the major golfing circuit, and even with the remodel, isn't considered one of the more prestigious courses out there....
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Ben wrote:
psl25201 wrote:This is a done deal.  The tournament will be held, I believe, in 2013.
Do you have anything official to support this?  I just checked the USGA's (the governing body of the event) website, and there's nothing listed on there yet for 2013.  I hope its true, but am slightly doubting this.  It'd be a great get for Omaha, but OCC is a relative unknown in the major golfing circuit, and even with the remodel, isn't considered one of the more prestigious courses out there....
I wouldn't worry too much about that, the DM G&CC was a relative unknown in major golfing prior to hosting the Senior Open in 1999 and certainly not the most prestigious course in town.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
psl25201
Home Owners Association

Post by psl25201 »

Ben wrote:
The information is legit.  I worked there for 10 years and have spoken with multiple people who have confirmed that it is indeed true.  I know for a fact that there is one member at OCC that has been quite instrumental in bringing the Senior Open to OCC.  Apparently, there was a meeting last night at OCC between USGA and OCC officials.  Nothing is public yet, so there may not be a signed contract, but all signs appear as if it is a done deal.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

So looking ahead to 2013 who would we see on the Senior tour. I know its a long way away so I'm expecting some guys from the PGA tour to move to the senior tour.
DonutStopLover
Home Owners Association

Post by DonutStopLover »

great great news for omaha!!
Brad
City Council

Omaha lands U.S. Senior Open for 2013

Post by Brad »

Omaha lands U.S. Senior Open for 2013

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10427469
STU POSPISIL COPYRIGHT ©2008 OMAHA WORLD-HERALD wrote:The green carpet is out for the 2013 U.S. Senior Open golf tournament that is coming to the Omaha Country Club.

Club officials and the United States Golf Association have agreed on a contract for the nationally televised championship and will announce it officially at a Tuesday press conference in Omaha.

Tournament dates will be Aug. 1 to 4, 2013. The live telecasts on ESPN and NBC could double the eight hours of network television exposure the city received through this summer's Olympic Swim Trials on NBC.

The Senior Open tournament could generate more than $30 million for Omaha's economy, starting with a possible 7,000 nights of lodging, and including food, rentals and entertainment.

It will be the first USGA open championship for the state, the first USGA event in Omaha since the 1941 U.S. Amateur at the Field Club and only the third USGA event in state history. Firethorn Golf Club in Lincoln hosted the 1996 U.S. Women's Amateur.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

That's what I'm talking about![/u]
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

w00t w00t!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Hey!  Cool!

We've risen to the ranks of... Des Moines.  How cool would it be if we could have a AAA baseball team like them too.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:Hey!  Cool!

We've risen to the ranks of... Des Moines.  How cool would it be if we could have a AAA baseball team like them too.

Note quite yet,  We have set the goal of being there in 2013!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

What does this mean for the Cox Classic?  Those start-of-August dates coincide with when the Nationwide Tour usually comes to town.  Could Omaha handle two big golf tournaments back to back?

Don't get me wrong, the US Senior Open is much bigger than the Cox Classic, and is a huge get for Omaha.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Some question whether Omaha can handle two back to back golf tournaments and some wonder why AAA/minor league sports don't draw 10K a game.  Interesting.
Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/20 ... ial/445051
U.S. Senior Open senior director Tim Flaherty said Wednesday he was aware of Omaha's reputation for hosting big events such as the Olympic Swim Trials, the College World Series and early rounds of the NCAA basketball tournament. He said he knew within 10 minutes of making his initial visit to the country club that the Senior Open belonged there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Watson, Langer file Senior Open entries
Omaha World Herald wrote:Other entries received from exempt players by the sponsoring United States Golf Association include defending champion Roger Chapman and past winners Hale Irwin (1998, 2000), Graham Marsh (1997) and Peter Jacobsen (2004). U.S. Open champions Tom Kite and Corey Pavin, along with Tom Lehman, Loren Roberts, Mark O’Meara and Rocco Mediate, also have entered.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Mutual has installed a giant golfer for the US Senior Open.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fred Funk?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Mutual has installed a giant golfer for the US Senior Open.

Watch where you put those hands....
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

The dates on this thread are wrong.  It runs July 11th-14th...

http://www.2013ussenioropen.com/schedule-of-events.php
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HskrFanMike wrote:The dates on this thread are wrong.  It runs July 11th-14th...

http://www.2013ussenioropen.com/schedule-of-events.php
Thanks. Its fixed now.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

So I am not a golfer so I didn't put all this together until recently.  I live about a half a mile west of the Country Club.

I found it interesting this spring that they were landscaping the median of North 72nd.  But they weren't doing it all the way to Sorensen Parkway or to I-680.  They put trees in and landscaping right along which now I see is the west edge of the golf course. Guess they wants a nice back drop. :D

I havent been on N 72 since school got out.  Took that way home this afternoon and there is a white tent city that has sprouted up along the east side of 72nd in preparation of the golf tournament next week.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Lol. This ain't a flat course - you better be in shape!

Omaha C.C.: No Walk In The Park
USGA wrote:Omaha Country Club, hosting its first USGA championship, should supply a stern test, not only from a mental and emotional perspective, but from a physical standpoint as well. Each of the 156 competitors, most of whom have never set foot on the property, might be surprised to see how much elevation change they’ll face on the 6,711-yard, par-70 layout. Virtually every hole is either uphill or downhill, leaving few level lies. And if, as expected, temperatures rise into the 90s and humidity reaches 90 percent, physical conditioning will play an important role.

It was at another classic Maxwell venue where Omaha C.C. first drew the attention of the USGA. Duffy ran into Tim Flaherty, the senior director of the U.S. Senior Open, seven years ago at Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kan. Chatting near the sixth green, Duffy told Flaherty about this wonderful course and how Omaha would be an ideal place to contest the competition.

Ten minutes into his visit, Flaherty knew Omaha C.C. was going to host a future Senior Open. And when Hall saw it, he couldn’t believe the amount of “movement” in the routing. “I was expecting this field of dreams,” said Hall, referring to the topography most often associated with this region of the country. “No disrespect to that remark … [but] boy was I surprised.  It’s a real gem that the world is going to learn a whole lot more about over the course of the next few months.”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I caddied there back in 93 or 94.  It was a beautiful course back then.  I can't imagine it now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:I caddied there back in 93 or 94.  It was a beautiful course back then.  I can't imagine it now.
I have never played there, but given that it is next to Raven Oaks, where a good friend of mine grew up, I can imagine it having more hills than one would expect from being in Omaha.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

... Omaha is now on ESPN 2...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow. Tom Watson is about to finish the front nine, and he is not just perspiring, his shirt is almost drenched in sweat! Hot, Humid and Windy.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Michael Allen is going really low today.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Michael Allen is going really low today.
Came a foot short of being only the third man to shoot in the 20's in the Sr. Open!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Turkeys are sure getting a lot of camera time!
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130715/S ... sga-in-awe
If Omaha Country Club is willing to invite it back, the United States Golf Association is eager to return for another national tournament.

This year's U.S. Senior Open, which ended Sunday, generated record revenue and had the second-largest attendance since its conception in 1980.

“We'll love to come back anytime,'' said Tom O'Toole Jr., vice president of the USGA, on the 18th green Sunday. “We couldn't be any happier with the week.”
It's easy to see why the USGA would want to come back to Omaha. For a Senior Open, corporate hospitality sales were a record $5.6 million, ticket sales topped $2 million for only the third time, the attendance of 157,126 ranked second only to 1999 at Des Moines and the volunteer force of 3,000 was lined up nine months in advance.

Becky Petro of Bruno Event Team, which managed the Senior Open, said Saturday was the first time a Bruno event parked more than 10,000 cars in a day and Sunday topped it.

The 32,994 on the course Saturday, then the 34,354 on Sunday, set records for the largest single-day attendance at a sporting event in Omaha.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

YES!!!! Omaha is heading towards being a major host city! This is so awesome since having different events come here will always draw huge crowds because the experience hasn't gotten boring.  :mrgreen:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well, maybe the USGA might come back to Omaha, but usually it is an 8 year turnaround, and they also don't like to play in cities with a nationwide (or what ever the second tier tour is called now - web.com?), it is also contingent on the club members voting to allow their course to be used (abused) and how quickly it could be returned to playable conditions, the OCC may not vote to have the Sr open to return, I have also heard that Champions run is tired of hosting their tourney...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Put this on the hmm list: Attendance at the British Open last week – 142,036. Attendance at the U.S. Senior Open at the Omaha Country Club on July 11-14 – 157,126.