Jays Win! Jays Win! Jays Win! Jays Win!

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Jays Win! Jays Win! Jays Win! Jays Win!

Post by Coyote »

HUGE HUGE WIN BY CU!!!

Trailing by nine at the half the Bluejays fought back several times to win a big one at Xavier 73-72.
Only the third non-conference home loss by Xavier in the last 4 years.
Jays 6-0!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Wow... they're done already?

Fantastic news!

Isn't that the same score from 2 years ago (except with the Jays on the short end) ?
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Awesome! We need some good news in the sports arena around here. Nebraska volleyball and Creighton basketball.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

12/31/02 CU @ #19 Xavier 73-75
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

WOW, What a game, what a win! If the Jays can come out of their next 3 undefeated (High Point, Kent State, and @ Nebraska) can you say top 25?!?!? Let's try to get 12,000 in the stands this sat at 3:05! We need to get out and support the Jays! One thing for sure, I'll be there!

Post by Guest »

If CU wins Sat., which they should, they will almost surely be ranked. They are already in the low 30's in both polls, and this win was HUGE.
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

Go UAB, show those Huskers they are nothing but 2nd rate in this state.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

No I hope the Huskers do well. It's about time this state's basketball teams bust out of the basement.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Nebraska isn't this state's basketball team. There are 2 of them.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Teams should have been plural. The state's basketball teams is I meant. And there are more than 2. UNO and Kearney.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Omaha=yum wrote:projectman, don't forget NU basketball. Go Nebraska state sports!
Um, this is Omaha. Creighton is our Basketball team. Omaha really needs to distance itself from the Huskers.
DTO
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

Blazers are stomping them as I type this.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

I see what you mean project man, it's alright. I just said 2 bc I was refering to D1 teams. Sounds like we just had a couple of misunderstandings.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

I have to agree Omaha=Yum, lets clarify.....Creighton is Catholic elitist Omaha's team. Nebraska basketball should be supported, we are still Nebraska. What is funny about some of DTO's posts is he'll say stuff like, Omaha is better than Lincoln because we have Warren Buffett. I am willing to bet that Buffett contributes more money to projects in Lincoln than he does in Omaha. And most of those Lincoln dollars go to support those dreaded HUSKERS!!! :shock: Why can't we support Omaha and Lincoln? I hope the best for Omaha and Lincoln, if one turns out better than the other (how you measure this, I have no clue), great. For now though, why can't we be one happy Nebraska family?
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Listen to a lot of Todd n Tyler do ya DTO?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

As your forum moderator... I'm here to tell you... you can support both Omaha and Lincoln (as well as all other parts Nebraska).
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

Omahans should be for Creighton in everything and only the Huskers for football.

Post by Guest »

Omahans may find themselves becoming more interested in Maverick football in comin gyears... out of necessity! (well, the band wagon people anyway)

As for Creighton support... I'm afraid the majority of Omahans are always going to be supporting Nebraska in the Creighton game. No doubt... any other time... even Omaha Nebraska fans are happy to see Creighton have success.

In the CU-NU games... I find myself cheering for that years underdog.
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

And as a forum member, I can tell you that I support you as our moderator because you have put together one heck of a site. :D
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think people take this all too seriously.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I like to support all Nebraska teams.
custudent
Home Owners Association

Post by custudent »

As for Creighton support... I'm afraid the majority of Omahans are always going to be supporting Nebraska in the Creighton game. No doubt... any other time... even Omaha Nebraska fans are happy to see Creighton have success.
Well, I can't say that the recent games bear that out. I was at both games last year, in December and March. Even in the March game, at best there was 5k in Husker fans (and they made themselves very known after the game by their classless and base behavior, but that's for another debate). In December, to say 2000 is probably optimistic. Support for NU basketball in Omaha is extremely weak. Even with the new FSN Midwest package, Nebraska basketball has had a very hard time getting their games on TV in the state's largest market, while Creighton's been on broadcast TV in both Omaha and Lincoln for a couple years now.
I have to agree Omaha=Yum, lets clarify.....Creighton is Catholic elitist Omaha's team. Nebraska basketball should be supported, we are still Nebraska. What is funny about some of DTO's posts is he'll say stuff like, Omaha is better than Lincoln because we have Warren Buffett. I am willing to bet that Buffett contributes more money to projects in Lincoln than he does in Omaha. And most of those Lincoln dollars go to support those dreaded HUSKERS!!! Why can't we support Omaha and Lincoln? I hope the best for Omaha and Lincoln, if one turns out better than the other (how you measure this, I have no clue), great. For now though, why can't we be one happy Nebraska family?
We are Nebraska, but being Nebraskan doesn't necessarily equate to being Huskers. If Creighton is so "Catholic elitist", then why have we been consistently outdrawing a program with 3 times the alumni base? I'd almost a majority of people at most CU games aren't Creighton grads, and of that number, probably a good size of those people are UNL grads. Besides, what does being a Catholic over a public school have to do with anything? Very, very many non-Catholics have come through Creighton and support Bluejay athletics.

When Coach Altman came to Creighton in 1994, he made a point that he wanted the Jays to not become "the team of Catholics, doctors and lawyers" but a team for all of Omaha- alumni or not, Catholic or not. Considering the growth in the team's success and fan base since then, i'd say he's succeded.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

I find it hard to be one happy nebraska family because lincoln and unl has declared themselves NU. When actually they are apart of a system with 2 other schools. If you follow uno hockey, they are announced as nebraska-omaha...not nebraska. That's always bothered me.
Sorry Twiztid1, but that argument won't hold up.

Nobody complains when they hear the North Carolina Tar Heels, instead of UNC at Chapel Hill Tar Heels. I guess I'm assuming, but I haven't heard of UNC-Wilmington, or UNC-Asheville complain. Charlotte switched for this exact reason a few years ago, but Omaha already switched from Omaha U to UNO many years ago.

Same thing in California, where only Berkeley can go by "California" Bears. Santa Barbara, among others, and even UCLA is not just California.

I personally think that UNO gives the university a larger sense of credibilty than Eastern Nebraska University, or simply Omaha University would. Nebraska State would be nice though, and I would be for a change from UNO to Nebraska State. That would be cool. (Just like how SW Miss St. is trying to change to Missouri St. to reflect the large size of their school).
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

UMKC
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

What also confuses me is how people can claim to be Creighton fans 29 games a year and then for 1 game put on their husker gear. That doesn't make much sense either does it?
custudent
Home Owners Association

Post by custudent »

Oh, not everyone was like that. I will give you that. However, I was verbally accosted by several people walking out of the Qwest Center in March, both in the concourse and out in the parking lot. It wasn't everyone, but it was far from isolated. I will say, i've been to football games in Lincoln and never seen anything like that, and baseball games both in Lincoln and Omaha (there, being the opposing fan publically) and never received that sort of treatment. I can't say that UNL has been able to extend that tradition of good sportsmenship to their basketball fans, at least in my experiences. Hopefully, we'll see different examples when I come down for the game on Saturday (and a different result from March :D )

Personally, while I grew up watching Husker football, I don't feel nor have any divided loyalites. UNL isn't my school, my team. Creighton is, and always will be. I will say, however, the way that Husker football has been promoted in this state (as a team for the state, rather than just for UNL grads and alumni) makes it a lot easier for fans in Omaha to root for the Huskers in football and for the Jays in basketball. Look in a town like Los Angeles. Back in the 60s and 70s, there were a lot of casual fans that rooted for USC in football and UCLA in basketball. It's not that uncommon of a phenomenon.

I don't understand, however, how one can actively support and root for a team in all but one game of a season. I want to see Husker basketball do well, but only insofar as it's an aid to Creighton (RPI and SOS). Beyond that, to be honest, i'm indifferent.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Omaha=yum wrote:DTO Luv, are you a Nebraska football fan? If so, then that's dumb of you to want to distance yourself from the basketball team. If you hate Nebraska football as well, I'd like to know your reasonings.
heck MOTHER F***ING NO I AM NOT A HUSKER FAN. AND ESPECIALLY HUSKER FOOTBALL. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Here is why I hate that football team. I know that I am one of the way more urban enthusiasts on this site. When I go out of town and tell people that I am from Omaha they automatically assume that I am a Husker fan and a F-ing farmer. We all know that Omaha is way differant than the rest of the NE but everyone else in the country doesn't.

I have probably told this story here before but when I was at O'hare I was talking wih a lady from Boston and when she found out I was from Omaha she said "Oh, you must be a Husker Fan. Do you have a horse?" No joke. The funny thing is I do but it is on my Granpa's ranch 30 miles outside of Hastings.

When I was in Austin this summer I wore a shirt that said Omaha on it. Most people thought Omaha was the capitol and brought up that football team. ( Bear in mind I was at a convention with lots of out of towners who wouldn't know the differance between Omaha and Lincoln like the local UT fans would)

I hate the Huskers because they make Omaha, which is inter-changable with NE to some people, make us look like a bunch of crazed farmers. The last amount of respect I would have had for the team went when they fired Frank. How the heck do you fire someone who went 9-3 with a bowl appearance when the year before they were 7-7? That right there goes to show that the Husker fans in this state take that team way to seriously. If the NYSE was in Nebraska we would have another Great Depression if they lost a game.

And for the record I do listen to Todd and Tyler occassionally but I don't know what gave it away that I did.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

[quote="jsheets"][quote]Nebraska State would be nice though, and I would be for a change from UNO to Nebraska State. That would be cool. quote]

That's the stupidest hing I have ever heard. The reason we have a Omaha has a beckwards image to the rest of the country is because of Nebraska. NO one is going to take Omaha's urbanity seriously if we keep trying to claim a dying boring state.

UNL is Lincoln's team. UNO and CU are Omaha's teams. I think more Omahan's will start to support the Omaha teams once the years of pro Husker brainwashing is done away with.
DTO
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

I actually think the slump in most Husker athletics (except vball) will really turn people on to Omaha sports such as UNO and Creighton. Hopefully that will create a larger fan base, but once the mighty Huskers are back strong in everything, they'll come roaring back.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I hope that the people that move to Omaha that aren't NE transplants will support the Omaha teams.
DTO
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

I have to chuckle yet again DTO, you praise George W. Bush in one breath, then you turn around and complain and moan about how you basically hate living in a red state, and how we need to have a 5 year plan to turn Omaha into Chicago. No one will take urban Omaha seriously as long as we consistently vote GOP. The very thing that you hate being stereotyped on, has come in part from our politics and beliefs. A lot of people from major urban centers probably see NE on election night and think they voted for George W. Bush, they must spend there day wearing Wranglers, cutting hay, and singing along to the Charlie Daniels Band.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Real men want Bush!! :lol:

So what if we are in a red state. So are Indianapolis, Denver, KC, STL, New Orleans, Las Vegas, and a ton of other big cities.
DTO
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

I don't understand why it's "stupid" to be a fan of Nebraska in football only. I only like Nebraska in football, and Creighton in the rest because Creighton doesn't field a football team! Sure I root for UNO because I go to school there, but they are not a Division 1-AA much less 1-A. I root for Creighton til I'm blue in the face including the I-80 rivalry game.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

The reason we have a Omaha has a beckwards image to the rest of the country is because of Nebraska
DTO, are you sure that your own quote isn't the stupidest "hing" you have ever heard? Simmer down man, simmer down...