Indoor football at the Qwest Center

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

This is an interesting development. Unless they fill the Qwest Center for these games it won't have the same feel as the Civic for these games.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I've never even heard of the Bears, but I can tell you one thing. I would never support a team from Omaha that plays in the Qwest Center and calls itself the Nebraska whatever.
DTO
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

IIRC, the Bears play somewhere in North O, and promote/advertise in the North O area. I remember seeing something about a Bears spring/summer sponsored kids league to give kids something to do.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

They're pretty good, usually play at Benson High ... I wish the owner did a better job of promoting them (like getting them their own domain name!).

http://www.northomahabears.com/proteam.html
icejammer
County Board

Re: Indoor football at the Qwest Center

Post by icejammer »

Twiztid1 wrote:I'm surprised no one picked up on this. It doesn't sound like a money maker.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=0&u ... id=1274837
Bears to field indoor football team

BY CHIP OLSEN

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

This spring a second indoor football team will enter the Omaha sports market....
Not to quibble with Mr. Olsen, writer for the fine Omaha World-Herald, but wouldn't this be the THIRD indoor football team in the Omaha sports market, with the Beef and Blackhawks already here?

Geesh, I tell ya, some teams get no respect...... :wink:
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

Blackhawks?
SychoBC
Home Owners Association

Post by SychoBC »

Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

What's really funny is they call themselves the "Iowa" Blackhawks. LOL We've never heard of them either.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Wow. I had no idea they were playing arena football at the MAC.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't see how a second indoor football team will survive, just like I don't see how a third hockey team is going to survive at the civic.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think you're just going to see the Lancers become... well... the Blackhawks of the Omaha hockey scene. I do think the minor league franchise will bring out some new hockey fans.

I am very skeptical of arena football at the Qwest Center. Consider the Nebraska Bears franchise which this prospective arena football team owner operates. He has invested almost nothing whatsoever in promoting this existing football franchise (they promote it sharing space on a kids football team website!). Very few of us even knew of IT's existence. I'm frankly surprised MECA would be buying into this plan... he has no track record (on the other hand... the team has been very successful on the field).
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

When will they officially announce this minor league hockey team? Or is that no more does anyone have any more info?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

No surprise... the 'Bears' are going to play at the Mid America Center (with this Blackhawk team I had never heard of until the Bears story broke)
Omaha World Herald wrote: Nebraska Bears shift to C.B. arena

Nebraska Bears owner] Michael Carter announced Wednesday that his team will be playing its indoor football games this season at the Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs.

Previously Bears officials had announced they would be playing their American Professional Football League games at Qwest Center Omaha. Carter didn't offer specifics when asked why the team was switching venues.

"We don't feel like this is a second choice," Carter said.

The Iowa Blackhawks announced last month that they would also call the Mid-America Center home, and Carter said the Blackhawks ownership was cooperative about sharing the facility.

The fledgling six-team league hasn't released a schedule and is estimating that its season will begin in either mid- or late-April.
OmahaRules
Library Board

Post by OmahaRules »

Talk about a big joke they dont even know when the season will start and its just over a month away. Goodluck trying to get people in the stands.
GoWest
Home Owners Association

Post by GoWest »

Omaha has a lot of good sports entertainment options. This doesn't sound like one of them.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Agreed, I have zero interest in watching indoor football, even if it was the "real" AFL, which I've always thought was dumb.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It would have cost them to much to play at the Qwest Center. Even though everyone likes the place no one likes it enough to go to an indoor football game. People here like real football to much.
DTO