UNO All-Star Coaching Staff X3

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Okay, this could be quite a staff...
I still can't believe it!!!!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Stargazer wrote:Okay, this could be quite a staff... I'm curious what percentage of UNO's athletic department budget is tied to hockey now (not to speak of the 'assistant AD').
Hockey is what will save that athletic department.  Creighton better watch out, if UNO can put together a string of a few winners, that casual sports fan that goes to Jays basketball games for some entertainment might switch to hockey.  Which is just what they need.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Mike Hastings will be on 1620 this afternoon, sometime during the 4pm hour.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Never afraid to blaze a new trail

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090718/S ... /706209896
Chad Purcell World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:Today, it's the task at hand for Blais that has the college hockey world buzzing. Named head coach at the University of Nebraska at Omaha on June 12, Blais' taking over of the Mavericks' 12-year-old program has sent a jolt of excitement through hockey fans near and far.

The hire, made by UNO Athletic Director Trev Alberts and former Mavs coach Mike Kemp, is widely viewed as a home run for UNO. Kemp, aware of his obvious bias on that account, goes as far to say that in the realm of NCAA pucks, the Mavs' latest move is every bit as significant as Louisville landing basketball coach Rick Pitino or South Carolina bringing in Steve Spurrier to revitalize its football team.

“Dean's just an individual who has a very strong and dominant presence,” said Kemp, who moved into his new role as associate athletic director this spring after 30-plus years on the bench at both Wisconsin and UNO. “He's very driven, he's very smart, he's very competitive — and that's all served him extremely well over the course of his career.”

Check out the link, its a really long article.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hockey: Mavs' Blais creating a big buzz back home

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090907/S ... /709079853
Chad Purcell World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:Blais' reputation looms as large as Paul Bunyan across Minnesota and North Dakota. For players on UNO's roster who grew up in those hockey-mad states, the news coming out of Omaha this summer was the stuff of childhood dreams coming true:

Not only did the Mavs land a renowned coach like Blais, it also was announced that UNO would join the WCHA in 2010-2011. That means, after one more season competing in the CCHA, the Mavs will start staging regular battles with college hockey heavyweights such as Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

(ANOTHER) Ex-Lancers coach to join Mavericks

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100723/M ... -mavericks
Mike Patterson WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:It’s been a while — 16 years, to be exact — but Mike Guentzel is coming back to coach hockey in Omaha.

The former Omaha Lancers head coach will return as an assistant at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. Guentzel was the Lancers’ head coach in 1992-93 and 1993-94, guiding the team to consecutive postseason championships in the United States Hockey League.

“I remember the passion the city of Omaha had for hockey from back in my Lancers days,’’ he said. “I’m looking forward to coming back.’’

Guentzel’s return will reunite him with UNO assistant Mike Hastings, who coached for the Lancers under Guentzel before eventually becoming the team’s head coach.

“Mike and I go way back,’’ Guentzel said. “I think it’s a great situation, and I’m looking forward to it.’’
So between the three of them They have something like 4 NCAA titles, 5 Anderson Cups, and 7 Clark Cups.
Brad
City Council

Re: UNO All-Star Coaching Staff X3

Post by Brad »

Shatel: As season begins, Mavs' Dean Blais hints at the end

http://www.omaha.com/uno/hockey/shatel- ... d81d7.html
Tom Shatel / World-Herald wrote:In the past, when the subject of how much longer Blais would coach at UNO came up, he would brush it off by saying he felt young and healthy and still loved coaching. He wanted to help open a new arena, get it up and running.

But something recently happened that seems to have changed Blais’ tune.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Former Lancer head Coach, UNO assistant, Frozen Four champion head coach Mike Hastings has left Minnesota State for Wisconsin.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I will never fully understand why UNO never made a serious run at hiring Hastings.

Greg