George Foreman... the Nebraska football fan in town

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

George Foreman... the Nebraska football fan in town

Post by eomaha »

OmahaChannel.com wrote: OMAHA, Neb. -- His name is synonymous with boxing -- and grills -- but who knew George Foreman was a football fan?

Foreman was in Omaha Friday to testify in a civil lawsuit against a former business partner.

On his way to the courthouse, Foreman said he's in the state as a concerned football fan.

"I really want to complain about Nebraska the school. It's not doing well in football," Foreman said. "Since '83 I have been a dedicated fan. I want a national title. I want this team to regroup and get back on its feet and next year should be the year, or I'm coming back and I'm taking heads."

Is he really a Husker fan? He seems to know a lot about the program.

"We're gonna make a comeback Nebraska! We nned a running back, a quarter back -- I better be quiet," Foreman said, before walking away from the camera.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

At least he didn't pull out the "giving them the ol' one-two" line.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, "Nebraska the school" is not doing well.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Perhaps Foreman's interest in the Huskers was helped a little by his friend, Barney Oldfield. Barney died about a year ago. He was a native of Nebraska and maintained strong connections to the state (particularly the Huskers) despite moving away in the 1940s (he was a war correspondant in WW2), taking up residence in Los Angeles where (in the 50s and 60s) he would become a top media journalist and agent.

He met George Foreman in the 1980s and they started a charity together that was designed to put underpriveleged kids through college. Despite the age difference, Foreman and Oldfield became close friends. I wouldn't be surprised if Oldfield's love for the Huskers rubbed off on George a little.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Did anyone tell George about Firesteve.com. :roll:
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

edsas wrote:Perhaps Foreman's interest in the Huskers was helped a little by his friend, Barney Oldfield.
Wow, Nebraska had a Barney Oldfield too? The only one I had heard about was the race driver from the turn of the century. I'm sure some of us more 'mature' posters had a dad or grandpa say to us "Who do you think you are? Barney Oldfield?" after getting pulled over for speeding. :oops:
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Oh, yeah. He used to joke about that. Here's a link to a tribute to the Nebraska Barney. George Foreman was at the funeral last year.

http://www.nebraskacoast.com/barney403.html
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Why can't we have a famous Criehgton fan? :)
DTO