College Football Discussion

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

College Football Discussion

Post by Bosco55David »

This is beautiful! It's 37-17 and the 4th quarter hasn't even started yet.  :yes:
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

50-24 now.  :banana:
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

I watched bits and pieces of it.  It's hilarious and sad all at the same time.  They've already got Hawkins on the hot seat, though they don't think the U or the donors have the cash to buy out his contract if it came to that.  I can't help but feel sorry for Cody Hawkins.  They have no backup.  The one guy they had behind him said he is redshirting and won't play.  So he just had to stay in there and take it.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Zilla wrote:I watched bits and pieces of it.  It's hilarious and sad all at the same time.  They've already got Hawkins on the hot seat, though they don't think the U or the donors have the cash to buy out his contract if it came to that.  I can't help but feel sorry for Cody Hawkins.  They have no backup.  The one guy they had behind him said he is redshirting and won't play.  So he just had to stay in there and take it.
I agree. As a Husker fan, nothing makes me happier than seeing CU suffer, but at the same time I'm a little saddened at how pathetic that makes the Big 12 look.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big XII North at that. But it couldn't happen to worse fans.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

As fun as it is to see CU do poorly... if Hawkins loses his job, Shawn Watson will likely be a leading candidate to replace him.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Stargazer wrote:As fun as it is to see CU do poorly... if Hawkins loses his job, Shawn Watson will likely be a leading candidate to replace him.
Shawn Watson wrote:“They couldn't pull me out of here.”...Asked to compare the environments at Nebraska and Colorado — for which he coached from 1999 to 2005 — Watson described it as “night and day.”

The coaching situation at Colorado has grown into a hot topic as Dan Hawkins struggles early in his fourth season.

“It's not even close,” Watson said. “The experience is real simple. Nebraska loves their team. Nebraska appreciates football. That's it. I mean, really, it's that simple. It's a passion. It's a love. It's not a convenience thing. There's a difference. There's a huge difference.”
http://omaha.com/article/20090911/BIGRED/709119855

Colorado might be interested in Watson, but I kind of doubt Watson would be interested in Colorado.  The environment at Colorado (flakey fan base who cherry picks games to attend, budget problems in the athletic department, and university rules which prevent assistant coaches from getting multi-year contracts) would make Colorado unattractive to someone who's "been there, done that"...
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I think the real quote from Watson was "Nebraska loves their football team. There's zilch in Nebraska, so people live vicariously through a college football team. Colorado people are busy doing things like hiking, snowboarding and other cool stuff like that, you know? They have lives."  :lol:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

the1wags wrote:I think the real quote from Watson was "Nebraska loves their football team. There's zilch in Nebraska, so people live vicariously through a college football team. Colorado people are busy doing things like hiking, snowboarding and other cool stuff like that, you know? They have lives."  :lol:
:yes:
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Just doesn't carry the same punch ever since it came to light that Josh was just another bitter Hawkeye fan.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Why would I be bitter? I find it amusing that you all take a football team over the top serious, as indicated by your thinking I'd be bitter about your football team. Who cares? I thought sports fans were supposed to give each other |expletive| about the other persons team. It's a joke, relax. Then you wonder why I give Husker fans so much |expletive|. :roll:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

the1wags wrote:Why would I be bitter? I find it amusing that you all take a football team over the top serious, as indicated by your thinking I'd be bitter about your football team. Who cares? I thought sports fans were supposed to give each other |expletive| about the other persons team. It's a joke, relax. Then you wonder why I give Husker fans so much |expletive|. :roll:
Jeez, you do sound bitter.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm with you Josh. Huck the Huskers and go IOWA.........

....State!
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

D'Shawn you musta missed the score on Saturday. :lol:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I missed a lot on Saturday. :lol: But yeah, Go 'Clones!
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Go 'Clones!
The clones |expletive| up when they forgot they were ISU and fired McCartney for that dude from Texas that |expletive| them....

I hear that Pollard is a mini Steve Peterson.
Last edited by Brad on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

You do realize I have no idea what you're talking about right? :)
DTO
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DTO Luv wrote:You do realize I have no idea what you're talking about right? :)
Just what everyone should want to do.  Get their college football news from DTO
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

the1wags wrote:Why would I be bitter? I find it amusing that you all take a football team over the top serious, as indicated by your thinking I'd be bitter about your football team. Who cares? I thought sports fans were supposed to give each other |expletive| about the other persons team. It's a joke, relax. Then you wonder why I give Husker fans so much |expletive|. :roll:
Define "over the top". Being the aggressor who feels the need to trash other teams and their fans?  :;):
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Here's a perfect example of being "over the top" serious about your football team. I had started typing Cornhusker as Corn sucker on here. The admin went and put it in the spelling thingy censor that every time I did so, it corrected it to Cornhusker. Seriously? God forbid anyone make fun of the Cornhuskers. I mean come on.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Come on Josh, let's just give in already. They have an awesome state song!

[youtube][/youtube]
DTO
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

the1wags wrote:Here's a perfect example of being "over the top" serious about your football team. I had started typing Cornhusker as Corn sucker on here. The admin went and put it in the spelling thingy censor that every time I did so, it corrected it to Cornhusker. Seriously? God forbid anyone make fun of the Cornhuskers. I mean come on.
Over the top, maybe. Funny, definitely!
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

the1wags wrote:I think the real quote from Watson was "Nebraska loves their football team. There's zilch in Nebraska, so people live vicariously through a college football team. Colorado people are busy doing things like hiking, snowboarding and other cool stuff like that, you know? They have lives."  :lol:
:roll: I understand it was "a joke" but let's not play Mr. Innocent here.  Why on earth are you surprised that people flip |expletive| back at you for this.  We're in here actually trying to discuss football and you come in to deliberately take a jab at the Huskers knowing full well you'd ruffle feathers.  Troll much?  Adds nothing to the conversation and now we're off topic. :thumb:
Equal Opportunity Hater.

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Hmm. Jabbing Colorado OK. Jabbing Huskers. Not Ok. Just so we're clear.
DTO
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

DTO Luv wrote:Hmm. Jabbing Colorado OK. Jabbing Huskers. Not Ok. Just so we're clear.
Is there a large amount of Colorado support on this site that would obviously ruffle feathers?  The OP started a discussion on an active football game.  The "jab" in question was not about any actual game, just a poke at the Huskers and their fans.  It was meant as no other reason than to provoke a response.  Feel free to take your jabs and chuckle at all the responses, but just own up and call it what it is.  Trolling.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

No additional comment needed

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I know this isn't college football, but WOW is the deal with the Miami/Jets game and the refs and loudspeakers speaking only Spanish?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

S33 wrote:I know this isn't college football, but WOW is the deal with the Miami/Jets game and the refs and loudspeakers speaking only Spanish?
They're celebrating hispanic history month.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

almighty_tuna wrote:
S33 wrote:I know this isn't college football, but WOW is the deal with the Miami/Jets game and the refs and loudspeakers speaking only Spanish?
They're celebrating hispanic history month.
Yeah, I just now heard them talk about it.

And W-T-F = WOW now?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Don't worry. It's just the sound of America being taken over. :roll:
DTO
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

DTO Luv wrote:
Wasn't saying that , Rachel. I was just thinking to myself what a large Latin population the Miami area has and I was surprised it would be large enough that the primary language was now Spanish. Miami is one city I have never been. Daytona would have been the closest.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

S33 wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:
Wasn't saying that , Rachel.
:lafcry:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ouch!

[youtube][/youtube]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Almost as bad as this Epic Fall:

[youtube][/youtube]
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I was watching that Cal game Saturday night.  That was tough to watch.  Didn't stop ESPN and everyone else from showing it 800 times, though.

Here's a question for all of you doctors:

I've noticed what seems like a disproportionate amount of concussions/killshots this season.  After almost every hit that knocks a guy out, there seems to be this moment of temporary rigor mortis where the arms and legs go stiff (Best & Tebow are probably the most re-played).  The player is clearly unconscious but they look like an old Star Wars action figure.

Is there some kind of defense/survival mechanism during a concussion that causes the body to stiffen or have the brain send an adrenaline rush or an outpouring of synapses or something?

Just curious.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:I was watching that Cal game Saturday night.  That was tough to watch.  Didn't stop ESPN and everyone else from showing it 800 times, though.

I've noticed what seems like a disproportionate amount of concussions/killshots this season.  After almost every hit that knocks a guy out, there seems to be this moment of temporary rigor mortis where the arms and legs go stiff (Best & Tebow are probably the most re-played).  The player is clearly unconscious but they look like an old Star Wars action figure.

Is there some kind of defense/survival mechanism during a concussion that causes the body to stiffen or have the brain send an adrenaline rush or an outpouring of synapses or something?

Just curious.
I'm not a doctor, but this is my understanding...

It's about a point of impact to the head. With the jaw, it compresses the mandibular nerve (where the jaw bone meets the ear) making the body think the neck has been broken (so the body goes stiff and locks up). The same can happen with a hard neck impact.

If you notice in MMA fights, a hard jaw knockout almost exclusively leads to the fighter going stiff where as many impacts tot he side of the head or face makes them wobbly but they sometimes recover.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:
Big E wrote:I was watching that Cal game Saturday night.  That was tough to watch.  Didn't stop ESPN and everyone else from showing it 800 times, though.

Just curious.

It's about a point of impact to the head. With the jaw, it compresses the mandibular nerve (where the jaw bone meets the ear) making the body think the neck has been broken (so the body goes stiff and locks up). The same can happen with a hard neck impact.

If you notice in MMA fights, a hard jaw knockout almost exclusively leads to the fighter going stiff where as many impacts tot he side of the head or face makes them wobbly but they sometimes recover.
Dang, sounds good.  Anyone else notice Nebraska already has three recruit commitments after this game?  A couple three star recruits and one four star recruit.  For anyone else following recruiting as well I am waiting for Bobby Swigert to commit here as well!!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Linkin5 wrote:
S33 wrote:

Just curious.

Dang, sounds good.  Anyone else notice Nebraska already has three recruit commitments after this game?  A couple three star recruits and one four star recruit.  For anyone else following recruiting as well I am waiting for Bobby Swigert to commit here as well!!
Yep, apparently they got a very solid commitment from Jay Guy 6'1 310lb blue chip recruit from TX. He was pretty impressed after attending Saturdays game I guess.

Here is the article from fox sports. Even know this guy is crazy talking about Nebraska ruining Tx's BCS chances.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/1034 ... filing-BCS
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Weight issues are root of Mangino's problems

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/column ... 77294.html
JASON WHITLOCK The Kansas City Star wrote:It’s the weight. That’s why Mark Mangino’s job is in jeopardy. That’s why Lew Perkins held a paper-trail meeting with Kansas football players Monday night.

If this is the end for Mark Mangino’s head-coaching career at Kansas — and it should be — his inability to deal with his weight problem is the cause.
JASON WHITLOCK The Kansas City Star wrote:The weight and the stress form a perfect recipe for depression. They can put your mind in a very negative place. They can make you moody and volatile.

Football is a violent game, oftentimes coached by grown men who strain to control their emotions. For every Bill Snyder, there are a handful of Mike Stoops, especially among assistants.

We’ve known since his arrival at Kansas that Mangino labors to contain his temper. He berated refs at his son’s high school football game. We’ve watched him verbally undress his players on the sideline. We’ve seen assistant coaches bolt the program and heard the behind-the-scenes stories about the abuse they endured from their head coach.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

They're just mad because Kansas is having a disappointing season.