College Football Discussion

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Alabama To Display BCS Trophy At Wal-Mart
Huffington Post wrote:The University of Alabama is going to display its new national championship football trophy at a place where most anyone can see it: Walmart.  The school says the Coaches' Trophy will be on display at a Walmart Supercenter in Tuscaloosa on Saturday and another Walmart store in Gardendale on Sunday.  Fans will be able to get their picture taken with the actual Coaches' Trophy that was presented after the BCS win over Texas. The $30,000 trophy is topped with a football made of Waterford Crystal.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Streaker!!!!!
Looks like it was D'Shawn

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Kiffin to USC??? Ha. Hahaha. HAHAHAHA!!! LMAO!!! Goodbye relevance.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

Fraking hilarious!!!!  Kiffen is a dirtbag.  Him and USC are made for each other!!
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Vols fans should seriously be celebrating right now.  Another year of this guy at Tennessee would have had that program in probation for years.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

Rioting??  Really?   :roll:  College kids will riot over anything nowadays.

Yeesh.....What a couple of girly bags!!  Apparently Kiffen and Ed Orgeron have been calling Tenn. commits and telling them to go to USC instead.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiti ... id=4821151
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Urban Meyer stepping down at Florida

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5899478
espn.com wrote:Urban Meyer is stepping down as football coach at Florida, the school's athletic director announced Wednesday.

"I fully grasp the sacrifices my 24/7 profession has demanded of me, and I know it is time to put my focus on my family and life away from the field," Meyer said.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Didn't this happen last year too?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Urban Meyer to coach Tebow in Denver? Apparently they talk every day.
Shawn Watson the Vanderbilt? He was seen at Eppley with a binder that had that on the front.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Coyote wrote:Urban Meyer to coach Tebow in Denver? Apparently they talk every day.
Shawn Watson the Vanderbilt? He was seen at Eppley with a binder that had that on the front.
Now this belongs in the rumors section.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

No really....My cousin's, brother's, nephew's, sister's, dog's, psychiatrist's talking parrot confirmed it!!!
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well - at least the Watson story is true.
Also - with the firing of Dave Wannstedt at Pitt - Pederson gets to do another HC search. Good Luck Pedey.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Miami Hurricanes coaching hopefuls emerge

Miami Herald wrote:Among the coaches who have spoken to UM about the job are Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, Connecticut coach Randy Edsall and Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville.

According to a UM source, Hocutt also plans to speak with Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, who was granted permission by Nebraska to pursue the job. According to another source, Pelini has shown mixed signals, at some points expressing interest and at other points conveying reservations.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I wonder how legit those reports are.  Bo has no ties with Miami I think.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/ ... 40db2.html
"Bo's never talked to me about anything like that," Osborne said. "If he got permission (to talk to Miami), he didn't get it from me."
Pelini said he didn't seek such permission from anyone.
Ehh well see.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:I wonder how legit those reports are.  Bo has no ties with Miami I think.
The AD at Miami was the associate AD at Oklahoma the year that Bo was there and he was also on the Staff at K State (believe that is the correct school) when Carl was there.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

The off-season needs to get here in a hurry. this program needs several months to cool off and get back under the radar.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

All these rumors are excellent for recruiting.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Baby Gabbert is headed to Louisville with Watson.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Ruh-roh.  Guess we know how Oregon got so good so fast.  I guess Chip could claim he didn't know it was illegal to pay people to sway recruits to him??  By the way, check out the "recruiting report" Oregon first said they paid this guy $25,000 to get to them, it was information that could have been acquired by someone that spent about 5 minutes on Scout.com or Rivals.com with their copy and paste tool.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... lly_070111
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Is Frost still at Oregon ?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:Is Frost still at Oregon ?
yes
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:Is Frost still at Oregon ?
If only there were some way to look it up.  Alas, the world may never know...   :;):

http://www.goducks.com/SportSelect.dbml ... SPSID=3376

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... EASON=2011
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

yeah, more of a rhetorical question... more than happy to waste a bit of your time though. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It is now being said that baby Gabbert left Louisville after one week on campus and wanted to go back to Missouri and Missouri basically told him to |expletive| off.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

iamjacobm wrote:It is now being said that baby Gabbert left Louisville after one week on campus and wanted to go back to Missouri and Missouri basically told him to |expletive| off.
:lafcry:
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Story of Gabbert:

Commits to Nebraska July of 2009
De-commits and commits to Missouri December 2010
Redshirts at missouri Fall of 2010
Loses #1 spot to James Franklin April 2011
Quits team May 2011
Transfers to Louisville July 2011
Leaves Louisville July 2011
Tries to get back on the Missouri Roster, but denied July 2011

Damn!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I have a feeling Tyler's father is a little bit controlling and has a lot to do with choices that are made.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Article out of Oklahoma dated June 24, 2011.  HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA.
Maybe the new Longhorn network helped, too. Armed with what it really wanted — its own network for events not on the conference television packages — maybe Texas was in a more cooperative spirit.

Sure, it all means more money for Texas. But it means more money for everyone, and the Longhorns always are going to grow money on trees, so why get upset about it?

That school that left the Big 12 did get upset about it. The schools that remain did not. And now everyone in the league smiles on their brother.
Read more: http://newsok.com/once-divided-big-12-a ... z1TDgm7KPt
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

That tune has changed considerably in the month since that article was posted, and Texas announced they were going to carry high school games of recruits they were targeting.

So much so, in fact, that Oklahoma and A&M are allegedly keeping the door open to the SEC (although I believe moreso A&M, but what happens if one more team moves out?):

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ol-network
Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne, who has long had concerns about the Longhorn Network, said Monday that athletic directors and Big 12 staff will be meeting "within the next few weeks."

When there were reports last week that Texas might show one of its conference games as well as prep football games on its subscription-based network, Byrne issued a statement that "our concerns were heightened further" and that questions remained even after Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said that there would be no high school content on the network until conference members have a chance to consider all the issues.

Byrne, just back from an Alaska vacation, said he had been advised that he "should play nice and not say any more." He said he would do that -- for now.
Shatel agrees:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110725/S ... fit-for-nu
9. Texas A&M threatens to leave the Big 12 over the Longhorn Network.

Comment: I know Texas politics is involved here, but I'd be willing to bet a dozen Whataburgers that Texas A&M is in the SEC within two years.
As does Dennis Dodd:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... exas-hands
Make that real, old message: We're Texas and we're going to do whatever the heck we want.

What exactly has changed in the new Big 12? Not much if you consider that even the chicken, as someone tweeted at lunch, was burnt orange. Power and influence have just taken different forms in this Large Dozen (minus two). That being, just how much influence the Longhorn Network will have when it debuts Aug. 26.

The possibilities are quickly becoming the subject du jour for every major college AD in the country. The NCAA is so flustered about the network's intention to televise Texas high school games with Texas recruits in them that it called a summit next month to discuss the issue.
Frankly, anyone that didn't see this coming is an idiot.

And that's not to say I wouldn't do the exact same thing if I were in Texas' position.  You'd be an idiot not to if the NCAA let you get away with it.  But Texas doesn't get to stand around wondering why everyone blames them for destroying the Big 12, and absolutely NO ONE gets to blame Nebraska and Colorado for getting the F out while they had the chance.

My wishful thinking on this is that the NCAA will flex some muscles, mandate a playoff system, and force anyone that wants to potentially participate in said playoff to be a member of a conference.  I give that about a 0.01% chance, of course.
Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Indiana just got Guner Kiel to commit.  He is arguably the best QB prospect in the country this year.  Literally everyone that uses pro-style QBs had offered this kid.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That was a great get for Indiana.  Michigan is looking to have a real strong class as well.  Life will definitely be interesting in the B1G.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

1620 is reading a report that A&M could move to the SEC as early as 2012.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:1620 is reading a report that A&M could move to the SEC as early as 2012.
The rumor is that A&M lawyers sent a request to join letter and every SEC institution passed it.  It would pretty much put the nail in the Big 12 coffin.
lnkS
Home Owners Association

Post by lnkS »

iamjacobm wrote:
The rumor is that A&M lawyers sent a request to join letter and every SEC institution passed it.  It would pretty much put the nail in the Big 12 coffin.
And likely conferences (and maybe the NCAA) as we currently know them.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sounds like this was only a rumor for now.  I do think it is just a matter of time until A&M jumps to the SEC.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Sounds like this was only a rumor for now.  I do think it is just a matter of time until A&M jumps to the SEC.
1620 Just said that the Texas Govern just told the Dallas news that "Talks are underway"
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

...and I believe I heard that the Texas Governor is a proud A&M grad.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Gov. Perry  "I'll be real honest with you. I just read about it the same time as y'all did. ... As far as I know, conversations are being had. That's frankly all I know. I just refer you to the university and the decision makers over there."

It doesn't sound like he has much inside info by that comment.  And he is an Aggie.