2009-2010 IWCC Men's Basketball

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

icejammer
County Board

2009-2010 IWCC Men's Basketball

Post by icejammer »

IWCC opens at No. 2
Without ever taking the floor, the 2009-10 men’s basketball team at Iowa Western has done something no other has in the 15 years that Jim Morris has been the head coach at the school reach the No. 2 spot in the NJCAA poll.

Returning all five starters from a team that went 20-11 a year ago, the Reivers open their season Wednesday at home against Lee (Texas) trailing only Central Florida Community College in the national rankings.

“With that many starters back and the level of competition last year we played pretty well against, I thought we’d be in the top 10,” said Morris, whose 2006-07 team reached No. 3 in the polls and 2005-06 squad finished at No. 4. “I didn’t think we’d be quite that high. I think it’s good that our program gets recognition, and sometimes undeserved recognition, because we’ve had pretty good teams for the last few years.”

This year’s team has the potential to rank right up there with the best of them. Led by first-team all-Region XI selection Shay Shine, a 6-foot-2 guard who averaged 16.3 points while shooting 40 percent from three-point range last season, the Reivers ought to be able to score with any team in the nation.

Fellow sophomore starters Anthony Salter, a 5-11 point guard, and Petey Hausley, a 6-6 post, have already verbally committed to NCAA Division I schools. Salter, who averaged 15.4 points while leading the Reivers is assists, plans to go to Auburn while Hausley (10.9 points, 5.4 rebounds) is headed to Appalachian State. . . .
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
skinzfan23
City Council

Re: 2009-2010 IWCC Men's Basketball

Post by skinzfan23 »

Didn't know where else to post this but Jim Morris, Iowa Western's coach is going to retire at the end of the season after 21 seasons coaching at IWCC.

IWCC's Morris to retire at season's end
A graduate of Stella Southeast High School in Stella, Neb., Morris has compiled a 446-209 (.681) record at Iowa Western, including three trips to the Elite Eight, and an overall head-coaching record of 525-258 (.670). He has bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Nebraska in Lincoln.