Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Ndamukong Suh

Post by Big E »

Check this site out:

http://www.stiffarmtrophy.com

They've been correctly predicting the outcome of the Heisman race for 8 years.  They know 570+ of the 920+ voters, and track them via their blogs, tweets, etc.

Suh is currently in the lead.  Some of the updates have had some wild swings in the last couple of days.  It's fairly interesting.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Wouldn't that be a coup... I honestly think if we had actually beaten Texas (and more importantly the BCS), it would have been his for sure.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I'll go ahead and predict Suh getting third place in the heisman.  

Not the winner but damn good for a contest that has a hard on for offensive players.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

They just updated and he dropped to third.

Current projections are:

Gerhardt (Stanford RB) @ 1127
Ingram (Bama RB) @ 1039
Suh @ 1035

Second place is a statistical dead heat.  Suh has 36 first palce votes to Gerhardt's 24 and Ingram's 16.  Suh drops significantly due to lack of respect on the 2nd and third place votes (of which he actually has fewer than 4th place Colt McCoy).

If Suh can keep up his #1 vote lead and Ingram, Gerhardt and McCoy can split 90% of all the 2nd and 3rd place votes, he still has a legit shot.  they've only accounted for 103 of 920+ ballots.
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Another thing I've noticed with their past results is while they do a great job of predicting the winner, the ballots have always shook out CONSIDERABLY tighter than their projections.  ie, their margin of error is potentially HUGE.

Bodes well for a race that is within a few percentage points right now.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:They just updated and he dropped to third.

Current projections are:

Gerhardt (Stanford RB) @ 1127
Ingram (Bama RB) @ 1039
Suh @ 1035

Second place is a statistical dead heat.  Suh has 36 first palce votes to Gerhardt's 24 and Ingram's 16.  Suh drops significantly due to lack of respect on the 2nd and third place votes (of which he actually has fewer than 4th place Colt McCoy).

If Suh can keep up his #1 vote lead and Ingram, Gerhardt and McCoy can split 90% of all the 2nd and 3rd place votes, he still has a legit shot.  they've only accounted for 103 of 920+ ballots.
Interesting, I can't believe how accurate they've been.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think a third place finish is likely as well.  Suh certainly deserves to be at the award presentation in NYC... I would be shocked if he wasn't.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I agree. And if he isn't at the ceremony, the Heisman may as well be officially declared as an offensive award. Like the Lombardi and Outland for D.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

He is going to NY.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Gerhart, Ingram, Suh, McCoy and Tebow are the finalists (in no particular order).  Stiffarmtrophy.com had that right on the money.

It's a 3-pony race in my opinion, among the first three I (coincidentally) listed above.

Maybe it is blind devotion, but I think McCoy and Tebow both played themselves out of it Saturday, and the two RBs are going to split allegiances.  Suh just has a huge lead in #1 votes right now, and I think there's a lot of "Offense Fatigue" (ala "Manning Fatigue") that could weigh in to this before it is over.

We shall see.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Maybe it is blind devotion, but I think McCoy and Tebow both played themselves out of it Saturday
Travis Justice wonders how many writers filled out their ballot before Saturday.  He voted for Suh, but he thinks that a decent number of writers filled out their ballot before Saturday.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

They've updated a new round of votes.

Gerhart loses a LOT of ground to #2 (Ingram) and #3 (Suh).  #2 increases lead on #3.

Suh picks up 5 more #1 votes.  Gerhart picks up 2.  Ingram picks up 4.

Near as I can tell, people are mostly voting Suh #1 or not at all (41 1sts, 16 2nds, 16 3rds.)

This is going to be fun.
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Ndamukong Suh

Post by Coyote »

Let the awards begin:

Suh wins Bronko Nagurski Trophy
Sports Illustrated wrote:Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had a rough couple of days, from a last-second loss in the Big 12 championship game to losing his luggage on his way to the Bronko Nagurski Trophy banquet. Suh's bag arrived just in time Monday for him to slip on his dark suit and shiny black shoes, learn he was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, and then win the Nagurski as the nation's top defensive player.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I can't believe with Ingram, Tebow, Spiller, and McCoy all playing Saturday (Suh just being in the right place at the right time)... that too many of them would have voted early... unless they were from those respective players region... of which I'm sure there are plenty of those, but you're not going to win them over anyway.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OWH wrote:Heisman Trophy
Who should win the Heisman Trophy?

» Toby Gerhart  3%  
» Mark Ingram  5%  
» Colt McCoy  3%  
» Ndamukong Suh  83%  
» Tim Tebow  2%  
» Someone else  1%  
» I don't know  3%  

Total Votes: 1077
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'm a little surprised "Sarah Palin" isn't a choice.

Or how about

How useless is this poll:

1) Very
2) Not very
3) Undecided
4) I like pudding
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yeah, its definitely one of their better ones!
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

Stargazer wrote:I can't believe with Ingram, Tebow, Spiller, and McCoy all playing Saturday (Suh just being in the right place at the right time)... that too many of them would have voted early... unless they were from those respective players region... of which I'm sure there are plenty of those, but you're not going to win them over anyway.
Why would this surprise you?  Considering so many of these people are the same ones that have admitted to voting on team rankings in the Polls without having watched ANY games.   :x
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Collin Cowherd just said that the Heisman is worthless,, its just a popularity contest, but if you are talking about Most Outstanding Player, its "That lineman form Nebraska"...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jim Rome is trying to get Suh on today, but he is not sure he can pull it off.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:Jim Rome is trying to get Suh on today, but he is not sure he can pull it off.
Pulled it off.  Suh at 11:30.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Someone feel free to resize this.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

www.stiffarmtrophy.com wrote:Dear Husker Fans: Stop hassling Johnny Rodgers!

So, it's come to my attention that folks in Nebraska -- apparently suffering from serious cabin-fever brought on by massive snowfalls -- are up in arms, with the mistaken impression that Trophy winner Johnny Rodgers put Ndamukong Suh third on his ballot.

In fact, Rodgers simply stated that he has Suh somewhere on his ballot. For the purposes of our projection math, we count a statement like that as a #3. But doesn't mean that he voted #3.

Rodgers even went so far as to call in to a local Lincoln sports talk show to set the record straight.
http://www.stiffarmtrophy.com
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Astonishing stats...

Alabama defense line season totals
98 tackles - 23.5 tackles for loss - 9.5 sacks - 20 hurries - 5 breakups - 0 int - 1 forced fumble -  3 blocked kicks

Florida defense line season totals
112 tackles - 33 tackles for loss - 14 sacks - 48 hurries - 5 breakups - 0 int - 1 forced fumble - 0 blocked kicks

Texas defensive line season totals
116 tackles - 25.5 tackles for loss - 15.5 sacks - 10 hurries - 7 breakups - 0 int - 2 forced fumbles - 0 blocked kicks

Suh season totals
82 tackles - 23 tackes for loss - 12 sacks - 24 hurries - 10 breakups - 1 int - 1 forced fumble - 3 blocked kicks
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Stargazer wrote:Astonishing stats...

Alabama defense line season totals
98 tackles - 23.5 tackles for loss - 9.5 sacks - 20 hurries - 5 breakups - 0 int - 1 forced fumble -  3 blocked kicks

Florida defense line season totals
112 tackles - 33 tackles for loss - 14 sacks - 48 hurries - 5 breakups - 0 int - 1 forced fumble - 0 blocked kicks

Texas defensive line season totals
116 tackles - 25.5 tackles for loss - 15.5 sacks - 10 hurries - 7 breakups - 0 int - 2 forced fumbles - 0 blocked kicks

Suh season totals
82 tackles - 23 tackes for loss - 12 sacks - 24 hurries - 10 breakups - 1 int - 1 forced fumble - 3 blocked kicks
Too bad he plays for Nebraska. He has a future but that team doesn't.
DTO
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

DTO Luv wrote:Too bad he plays for Nebraska. He has a future but that team doesn't.
:roll:   Not really sure how it's too bad for him since he'll likely be a top 3 draft pick if not the #1 pick.  Seems to have worked out rather well for him.  Having a Defensive player in the Heisman race and drafted in the top 3 is also great for Nebraska.  So it looks like a win all around!  Cheers!
Equal Opportunity Hater.

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Zilla wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:Too bad he plays for Nebraska. He has a future but that team doesn't.
:roll:   Not really sure how it's too bad for him since he'll likely be a top 3 draft pick if not the #1 pick.  Seems to have worked out rather well for him.  Having a Defensive player in the Heisman race and drafted in the top 3 is also great for Nebraska.  So it looks like a win all around!  Cheers!
A lackluster season with no offense and relying on 1 player to save your a$$ is not what I'd call a winning team.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I shouldn't bite because I know you are doing this just to rile people up.  You have made it abundantly clear you hate sports and the huskers...

However I hardly call it a lackluster team.  The entire defense is strong.  Ohanlin (sp) had 3 interceptions against OU as well as others.  The special teams were good.  They blocked several kicks and the that kicker is great.  They are missing an offense, but they definitely have made lots of improvement over the past 2 seasons.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, many attribute Glen Dorsey's success (yes, another Lombardi/Outland winner)  to Bo... he has a proven record of developing players.  Bo himself said that he's seeing so much potential in the younger guys that he expects the defense to improve in Suh's absence next year.   There are all sorts of guys on this defense who are going to get looks from the NFL... who NEVER would have otherwise, until Bo came along.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

DTO Luv wrote:
Too bad he plays for Nebraska. He has a future but that team doesn't.
Here's what I don't get, everytime anyone talks football to you, you claim they are waisting their time because you know jack |expletive| and could care less about football. But when people are innocently chatting about football, without you in the conversation, you feel the need throw your 2 cents on the table with no substance whatsoever. Just bashing and trying to Urinate (yeah I just typed urinate to save the filter some work) people off.

And don't think for one second I missed your racist Asian comment earlier today, although, I did find it find it funny.  :)
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Suh wins 4 awards tonight
Go Cubs Go
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Aside from the increasingly unlikely Heisman miracle... he's totally cleaned up.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Why is it every time I make a comment about the huskers (or anyone who's not a husker knob washer) it gets jumped on. I was making a serious comment. Suh is a good player. You can't argue that he's not. It's a shame that he couldn't have had more team victories as well as individual victories.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him... with Pelini's tutelage and leadership, he was afforded the opportunity to play in front of a national audience in the Big 12 title game, upstaging the player pegged by most to win the Heisman, putting himself in position to win virtually every award an interior lineman can win, and ensuring at least a top 5, if not #1 pick in the NFL draft... he will makes MILLIONS.  And it's not as if he played for a losing team... once again, Pelini led Nebraska to the Big 12 title game in only his second year... and has re-established a string of 9 or more victories a season.  Meanwhile, there are plenty of other coaches who continue to come and go at other programs, success eluding them.  NU's program is in good hands.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Winning the Big 12 North right now isn't a lot to brag about right now. Suh is a great player and I will even say he won the game for the huskers but I think Suh's accomplishments are in spite of his team.

He is set for life and more power to him but I don't see the huskers pulling anymore talent like him anytime soon.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:He is set for life and more power to him but I don't see the huskers pulling anymore talent like him anytime soon.
Nebraska won't pull talent like that any time soon?  How about college Football won't pull talent like that any time soon.  He is a once in a decade player for the LEAGUE not Nebraska.

Nebraska will do fine.  Pelini has established Nebraska as a defensive powerhouse and people will come.
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

DTO Luv wrote:A lackluster season with no offense and relying on 1 player to save your a$$ is not what I'd call a winning team.
A statement that cements the fact you know zero about what you are talking about and are just trying to stir the pot.  Going to the BigXII and being 1 second from knocking off the #2 team refutes your claim.  And they never relied on Suh to save their |expletive|.  The entire D was the key.  When Suh was double/triple teamed then Crick stepped up.  O'Hanlon, Asante, Dennard, Dillard, Allen, Prince all played great.

A poorly disguised troll is still a troll.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

DTO Luv wrote:He is set for life and more power to him but I don't see the huskers pulling anymore talent like him anytime soon.
And what's your logic to support this?
Equal Opportunity Hater.

S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Knob Washer? Hardly. If there is one thing I know about husker fans is that they do not half |expletive| their BJ's. We get wayy past the knob.

Oh the irony of being called a "knob washer" by a gay guy. lol
Last edited by S33 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Stargazer wrote: And it's not as if he played for a losing team... once again, Pelini led Nebraska to the Big 12 title game in only his second year... and has re-established a string of 9 or more victories a season.  Meanwhile, there are plenty of other coaches who continue to come and go at other programs, success eluding them.  NU's program is in good hands.
Exactly, and to think otherwise would suggest to many people who actually follow college football that the person isn't very knowledgeable in this aspect.