The Omaha Nighthawks - UFL Football

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ESPN loves Garcia too thats for sure.  Great exposure either way.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sunday Night football just said Garcia would probably be able to get out of his UFL contract if the Eagles came calling.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Early reports have Eagle's QB Michael Vick with three broken ribs today. The Eagles are looking for a backup QB for Kolb if Vick is out too long - and they have been in contact with Garcia's agent.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Coyote wrote:Early reports have Eagle's QB Michael Vick with three broken ribs today.
3 Broken ribs? That's too bad. Though, I thought for sure that karma would have him out indefinitely with fatal lacerations to the face and neck.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

A few shots from Game #2 at the Blatt

ImageOmaha Nighthawks UFL 337 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Cory Ross with Sacramento and a Former Husker

ImageOmaha Nighthawks UFL 349 by nebugeater, on Flickr

ImageOmaha Nighthawks UFL 346 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Players comming on the field

ImageOmaha Nighthawks UFL 326 by nebugeater, on Flickr

The state of Nebraska has both the NCAA DIV1 and the UFL sellout streak record!!!!

ImageOmaha Nighthawks UFL 323 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Otis Day the 1/2 time show

ImageOmaha Nighthawks UFL 324 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Click o the photo link to take you t flickr to see about 50 more.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Where the heck did these dancers come from all the sudden? Early this summer they had a group of..."less prettier" girls.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nice shots NE Bugeater!  Another great game!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Otis, my man!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Otis, my man!
Your Man didn't have a voice anymore....
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

With Vick hurt, do Eagles turn to Nighthawks QB Garcia?
By Steven Pivovar WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Florio reported that the 40-year-old Garcia, who signed with the United Football League Nighthawks in mid-August, could get an early release if a National Football League team sought his services. Florio also reported that Garcia’s agent told him that his client is interested in returning to the NFL.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Could only mean good things for the UFL. Shows some relevancy that there is NFL talent in the UFL, if nothing else. And Garcia may not even have been called up if it wasn't for his play in Omaha...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So I don't pay much attention to the politics of the NFL salary cap, but why are there players like Culpepper and Garcia in the UFL and players like what the Bears flopped out on the field after Cutler went down still in the NFL (Collins and Hainey)?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I know Culpepper's stock was pretty much shot because of injuries... The dude can hardly run anymore.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Big E wrote:So I don't pay much attention to the politics of the NFL salary cap, but why are there players like Culpepper and Garcia in the UFL and players like what the Bears flopped out on the field after Cutler went down still in the NFL (Collins and Hainey)?
Garcia demands about 5 million a season Collins is pulling 2 million a year and Hanie makes under 400,000 a year it is all salary cap.  No team will pay 5 million for a backup is what it boils down to.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So why have a salary cap and roster limits if you can just go out and hire anyone you want whenever you want?

Or is this pretty much why they're going on strike next year?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Big E wrote:So why have a salary cap and roster limits if you can just go out and hire anyone you want whenever you want?

Or is this pretty much why they're going on strike next year?
Well they will have Garcia start so he is worth it, but the NFL players have much less power or rights than NBA or MLB players.  They play the most dangerous sport get paid less and aren't guaranteed their whole contracts.  Players can be released without much penalty for teams.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

They play the most dangerous sport
I don't think football made the top 10 on most lists i saw[/quote]
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Uffda wrote:
They play the most dangerous sport
I don't think football made the top 10 on most lists i saw
[/quote]

I was getting at of the three big ones in America b/c there are for sure way more dangerous ones out there.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Nighthawks suffered their first loss of the season on the road at Las Vegas this past weekend....
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I did a little looking around on ticket master today for the next home Nighthawks game.

Bleachers - are sold out
Blue seats - you can still get 4 tickets together near the 50 yard line, but they are $50 each.
Yellow seats - are sold out
Red seats - You can still get two together, but not 4.

Looks like it should easily be another sell out.
crowtrobot

Post by crowtrobot »

Just looking at the UFL website  and saw this headline
United Football League Alert: Major Announcement in Omaha on Monday, October 18
http://www.ufl-football.com/news/united ... october-18
New teams,  a Nighthawks staduim, league  folding, or moving to the NFL your guess is a good as mine.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

crowtrobot wrote:Just looking at the UFL website  and saw this headline
United Football League Alert: Major Announcement in Omaha on Monday, October 18
http://www.ufl-football.com/news/united ... october-18
New teams,  a Nighthawks staduim, league  folding, or moving to the NFL your guess is a good as mine.
This is bigger than just any trade and they wouldn't announce a big announcement for the league folding (they would fax AP writers and hide for awhile if that happened).  It could be about new teams, it could be the league was purchased by the NFL, a new stadium or something that is worth having the CEO of the UFL, a city chamber (which almost crosses off league-expansion) and the mayor.

I'm thinking it is a new stadium agreement between the partial owner of the team with UNO 30/80 sure (70% unsure of the direction of this).
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

The announcement is about the UFL championship game being in Omaha.  There will NEVER be a new UFL specific stadium.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

Linkin5 wrote:The announcement is about the UFL championship game being in Omaha.  There will NEVER be a new UFL specific stadium.
You must know something the rest of us dont.  Please explain.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Erik wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:The announcement is about the UFL championship game being in Omaha.  There will NEVER be a new UFL specific stadium.
The UFL championship game is hosted at one of the team's home stadiums. They pick the site about halfway thru the season, taking into account likelihood of that city's team being in the game and attendance.

Given that Omaha is currently leading the league in both the standings and attendance, this is probably going to be the least shocking announcement ever.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Rosenblatt Stadium lands UFL title game

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101018/S ... title-game
Steven Pivovar WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The United Football League will announce Monday that it will play its championship game Saturday, Nov. 27, at Rosenblatt Stadium.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

OmahaBen wrote:
Erik wrote:
The UFL championship game is hosted at one of the team's home stadiums. They pick the site about halfway thru the season, taking into account likelihood of that city's team being in the game and attendance.

Given that Omaha is currently leading the league in both the standings and attendance, this is probably going to be the least shocking announcement ever.
Why set a host site midseason?  Wait until we get to the end of the season, and the first team to clinch a playoff spot gets to host.

Can you imagine what kind of crowd will show up to watch Hartford vs. Orlando at Rosenblatt?
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

HskrFanMike wrote: Why set a host site midseason?
No idea, but that's what they do.

Only thing I can think of is television wise, they may need to let HDNet or whoever know early enough so they can get their preparations done and contract with a local production company if needed.

Otherwise, I've got nothing.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HskrFanMike wrote:
OmahaBen wrote:
Erik wrote:

Why set a host site midseason?  Wait until we get to the end of the season, and the first team to clinch a playoff spot gets to host.

Can you imagine what kind of crowd will show up to watch Hartford vs. Orlando at Rosenblatt?
Omaha shows up for plenty of events not involving a local team.  I bet it will be a really good crowd no matter who plays in the game.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The next Game appears to be a sell out...  There are not two tickets together anywhere, only single random seats.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New policy for Nighthawks imbibers

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101026/N ... s-imbibers
Juan Perez Jr. WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The beer will flow a little less freely at Thursday’s Omaha Nighthawks football game.

A public beer garden used at previous games will not open, beer-buying customers will need wristbands showing they are of age, and tailgaters will have less time to party before the kickoff against Las Vegas, a team official said Monday.

Changes to Rosenblatt Stadium alcohol policies came after city officials and the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission met with Nighthawks representatives at City Hall on Monday to discuss controlling alcohol sales at the team’s home games this season.

“I think the problem we’re running into is that Omaha has never seen an event like this,” said Joel Fitzpatrick, the United Football League’s director of event operations. “So we’re all just trying to get ahead of it a little bit and learn about what controls to have in place to make sure we don’t have any problems.”

A patron showing a valid ID will be issued a wristband that will clear him or her to purchase alcohol, though not in the beer garden the team erected in a pavilion outside Rosenblatt Stadium. A VIP lounge attached to the beer garden will remain in use, Fitzpatrick said.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

“I think the problem we’re running into is that Omaha has never seen an event like this,”
Or, if you allow people to act like complete and total jackasses, they usually will.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Brad wrote:New policy for Nighthawks imbibers

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101026/N ... s-imbibers
Juan Perez Jr. WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The beer will flow a little less freely at Thursday’s Omaha Nighthawks football game.

A public beer garden used at previous games will not open, beer-buying customers will need wristbands showing they are of age, and tailgaters will have less time to party before the kickoff against Las Vegas, a team official said Monday.

Changes to Rosenblatt Stadium alcohol policies came after city officials and the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission met with Nighthawks representatives at City Hall on Monday to discuss controlling alcohol sales at the team’s home games this season.

“I think the problem we’re running into is that Omaha has never seen an event like this,” said Joel Fitzpatrick, the United Football League’s director of event operations. “So we’re all just trying to get ahead of it a little bit and learn about what controls to have in place to make sure we don’t have any problems.”

A patron showing a valid ID will be issued a wristband that will clear him or her to purchase alcohol, though not in the beer garden the team erected in a pavilion outside Rosenblatt Stadium. A VIP lounge attached to the beer garden will remain in use, Fitzpatrick said.
This is a nightmare, its going to take a half hour to just get wristbanded. The center plate is already shorthanded on employees, now they have to find people to man the wristband stations. When 12,000 show up on thirsty thursday the lines are long, hate to see what 18,000 looks like.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I know... Last night they said on the news that there will only be THREE stations!  You half hour might be generous...
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Brad wrote:I know... Last night they said on the news that there will only be THREE stations!  You half hour might be generous...
There's only what, 4 wristband stations at the Qwest? South entrance, main entrance, north endzone, and what, 1 in the upper deck by the convention/skywalk entrance? maybe 2 up there?

It won't be as bad as you think.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OmahaBen wrote:There's only what, 4 wristband stations at the Qwest? South entrance, main entrance, north endzone, and what, 1 in the upper deck by the convention/skywalk entrance? maybe 2 up there?
Five plus the club lounge and suites each do their own.  

Also the Qwest has way wider concourses so adding another line isn't a big deal.  Rosenblatt is too small for what they already have.  All I hope is the line for the wrist band is outside somewhere.  They need one out in the front area, one down each base line, and one in each outfield.  I sit out near the 15 yard line on the east side and do everything I can to avoid the main concourse.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

OmahaBen wrote:
Brad wrote:I know... Last night they said on the news that there will only be THREE stations!  You half hour might be generous...
There's only what, 4 wristband stations at the Qwest? South entrance, main entrance, north endzone, and what, 1 in the upper deck by the convention/skywalk entrance? maybe 2 up there?

It won't be as bad as you think.

Well the way Centerplate has done it before it will probably be 3 people at one table. There are your 3 stations.

Honestly though I would not be suprised if they just had 3 tables set up in the main entrance. The main problem is centerplate and the city is understaffed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I was wrong, the bracelets were painless.  They did them at the gate!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The crowd was good last night too.  A few no shows but not bad at all for a Thur night and cool weather.  I thought it might have more empty seats.   Late arriving though.  Lot of seats that were not filled at kickoff.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The sell-out streak is intact too!