McDermott to Creighton, Altman to Oregon

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

McDermott to Creighton, Altman to Oregon

Post by joeglow »

Wonder if he will make it longer than a couple days this time.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/92008959.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wow I can't believe he is still that desirable.  He is probably their 5th or 6th choice.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I wonder who they are looking at to replace him?  For some reason the first name I thought of was Kevin McKenna, but maybe they will try to go with a new direction.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Interesting... not sure how feel about this.  I an sure Raz will make a good choice.  GO Jays!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Interesting... not sure how feel about this.  I an sure Raz will make a good choice.  GO Jays!!!
The AD slot is open at Oregon too.  maybe CU will be looking to fill both positions?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I don't even think he was their 5th or 6th choice....

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Yeah I just remembered hearing about Izzo and Tubby Smith and Texas A & M's coach all shot them down.  I just threw a number out there.  They are opening a new 200 million dollar arena I bet the fan base is not really pumped about this hire.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So I assume Kevin McKenna is the leading candidate for Creighton.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

ISU's Greg McDermott according to Travis Justice.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Stargazer wrote:ISU's Greg McDermott according to Travis Justice.
Leaving Iowa St. to come to Creighton?  Seems odd to be fair though he has recruited some insanely talented guys.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

iamjacobm wrote:
Leaving Iowa St. to come to Creighton?  Seems odd to be fair though he has recruited some insanely talented guys.
Yeah great move for him...terrible for Creighton.  He was about to be fired at ISU.  This is bigger than a bank bailout.  $9 million for 10 years or unemployment.  Pretty easy decision in my opinion.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

BTW did anyone else see that Dana is getting 2 million a year up in Eugene.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

As an ISU fan, all I can say is THANK YOU CREIGHTON!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I suppose Rasmussen figures the last failed Big 8 coach they got worked out pretty well ... that this one has experience in the MVC may not be a bad thing either.  Put it this way... I'd feel a lot better as a CU fan paying $900k a year for McDermott than I would as a Duck fan seeing them pay $2M a year for Altman.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

Stargazer wrote:I suppose Rasmussen figures the last failed Big 8 coach they got worked out pretty well ... that this one has experience in the MVC may not be a bad thing either.  Put it this way... I'd feel a lot better as a CU fan paying $900k a year for McDermott than I would as a Duck fan seeing them pay $2M a year for Altman.
And by failed you mean a coach that won a Big 8 Coach of the Year and had Kansas St.'s last win at Lawrence for something like 20 years, until this past year. Altman failed the same way Solich failed at Nebraska - the fans didn't like him even though he still won games.

That said, McDermott's a weak hire, let alone somebody worth a $9 mil over 10 years deal. He's done jack at Iowa State.

And Oregon pays its coaches with Nike bucks, I think. So most fans probably don't care since Nike's picking up the tab.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

I really do not get this hire, the guy has done nothing other than beat Nebraska at Iowa State, it seems like Creighton did not even talk to Grensing or Mckenna. Sure he had good years at UNI and can win in the valley but he was never outstanding, he could never win in Omaha and could never really win the big games at UNI.

I know some people are saying that this is like Alford leaving Iowa for New Mexico but at least Alford had a couple decent seasons at Iowa and won a Big 10 tourney title, Greg has done nothing close to that. So many good candidates were passed up for this job it is sad.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

And by failed you mean a coach that won a Big 8 Coach of the Year and had Kansas St.'s last win at Lawrence for something like 20 years
One big conference win and a schedule of non-conference patsies at K-State... just like the football program.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Either way, if your a Creighton fan who's tired of the decades long guarantee that they will never make it past the first round in the NCAA tourney, maybe it was time to move on and take some chances with someone else.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

S33 wrote:Either way, if your a Creighton fan who's tired of the decades long guarantee that they will never make it past the first round in the NCAA tourney, maybe it was time to move on and take some chances with someone else.
I don't think many people are sad that Altman's leaving this time around.

They're upset that McDermott is the replacement, however.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think McDermott has a far better chance of succeeding than Altman.  Consider that Altman is going off to coach an entire team of Stinnett's.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I agree if simply for the talent he should help bring in.  Some of the players he got to Ames:Craig Brackens(a 5* recruit) Wesley Johnson(probable top 5 draft pick, but he did transfer to Syracuse) I mean I am not expecting to get the best players in the country every year like that, but there is no reason not to expect a good amount of better talent on the team.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Of course we're all assuming that Travis Justice knows what he's talking about.  Most of the other media outlets are sticking with the 'offer made' story.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Will its official, Altman is a duck.  Didn't take him long to mention Phil Knight...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Matt Perrault of http://www.thebluejaycafe.com wrote:Multiple sources have confirmed and we have as well that the deal for Greg McDermott to replace Dana Altman is done.

McDermott is meeting with his team this afternoon to inform them of his decision.

A press conference is expected to happen at some time tomorrow.
EDIT: 10:30am Press Conference.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

iamjacobm wrote:I agree if simply for the talent he should help bring in.  Some of the players he got to Ames:Craig Brackens(a 5* recruit) Wesley Johnson(probable top 5 draft pick, but he did transfer to Syracuse) I mean I am not expecting to get the best players in the country every year like that, but there is no reason not to expect a good amount of better talent on the team.
Mac didnt get Wesley, he was coming when Mac got hired.  But, in any case, he did run him off.  Brackins is good but underperformed big time considering Mac had a reputation as a good big man coach.

All that aside, I think he can succeed at CU.  He is apparently better cut out for the MVC.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ahh my bad I had my years wrong.  At least he has got his son to transfer from UNI to Creighton.  He was UNI's best recruit in their 2010 class good news there.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

More to come later:

OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

After the presser today, I'm pretty comfortable with the hire.  Mac's a quality guy.  A positive is that he will be much better with the media than Dana.  I can see KMTV having a Sunday night coaches show in season like Doc.  I can also see Mac having a midnight maddness event at the Sokol like other schools.  

It'll be a waiting game.  Most importantly, I have to find something new to put on my avatar or whatever the heck its called.  Suggestions?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

OmahaJaysCU wrote: It'll be a waiting game.  Most importantly, I have to find something new to put on my avatar or whatever the heck its called.  Suggestions?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I like it!

Oh_Burn on Facebook wrote: Mac's Militia. Let's do this

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

McDermott Names Men's Basketball Staff
GoCreighton.com wrote:New Creighton University head men’s basketball coach Greg McDermott has announced his coaching staff. Darian DeVries will remain on staff as an assistant coach and be joined by newcomers Steve Lutz and Steve Merfeld. Erik Crawford will serve as the program’s Director of Basketball Operations, while Nathan Wieseler will serve as Creighton’s video coordinator.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Good choice in keeping Darian DeVries.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Indiana St. coach McKenna resigns, heading to Oregon
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS wrote:Indiana State was 17-15, 9-9 in the Missouri Valley Conference, last season and made its first postseason appearance since 2001 when it played in the College Basketball Invitational. McKenna will join the staff of Dana Altman.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Dana is doing an amazing job at Oregon this season.  He has the team at 5-6 in conference with a team that has only 7 scholarship players.  He also has the 2nd best recruiting class in the Pac-12 for next season.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

CBS wrote:The (Pac 12) conference also announced Monday that Oregon's Dana Altman has won Coach of the Year.

Altman guided Oregon (23-8, 12-6) to a second-place tie with California and Arizona in the league standings after being picked seventh in the preseason media poll. The Ducks have posted three straight 20-win seasons and two consecutive runner-up finishes in Pac-12 play under Altman, who has won Coach of the Year honors in four different conferences.

He also earned coaching honors in the Missouri Valley Conference with Creighton in 2001 and 2002, in the former Big Eight Conference with Kansas State in 1993, and in the Southern Conference with Marshall in 1990. He's the third Oregon coach to earn coach of the year honors, joining Dick Harter (1977) and Ernie Kent (2002).

Altman has a career record of 478-277. He is 68-34 at Oregon.

The third-seeded Ducks will play their first game in the conference tournament Thursday against the winner of No. 6 Washington and No. 11 Washington State.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:
CBS wrote:The (Pac 12) conference also announced Monday that Oregon's Dana Altman has won Coach of the Year.

Altman guided Oregon (23-8, 12-6) to a second-place tie with California and Arizona in the league standings after being picked seventh in the preseason media poll. The Ducks have posted three straight 20-win seasons and two consecutive runner-up finishes in Pac-12 play under Altman, who has won Coach of the Year honors in four different conferences.

He also earned coaching honors in the Missouri Valley Conference with Creighton in 2001 and 2002, in the former Big Eight Conference with Kansas State in 1993, and in the Southern Conference with Marshall in 1990. He's the third Oregon coach to earn coach of the year honors, joining Dick Harter (1977) and Ernie Kent (2002).

Altman has a career record of 478-277. He is 68-34 at Oregon.

The third-seeded Ducks will play their first game in the conference tournament Thursday against the winner of No. 6 Washington and No. 11 Washington State.
Nice to see it working out for him.   Much better than seeing him not fit in at Ark
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Congrats to Altman as Oregon wins the PAC 12 Tournament!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dana just did a great interview on the Jim Rome show. Glad to see he is still getting great publicity.
Mentioned Korver and Tolliver.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Heard on the radio last night on a national sports news feed that Altman got a three year extension at Oregon.  Takes him through the 2019/20 season now.