Conagra campus development plans

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, Omaha Cowboy, Brad, nebugeater

Coyote
City Council

Re: Conagra campus development plans

Postby Coyote » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:43 pm

The new home — about 60,000 square feet on two floors of 808 Conagra Drive — allows for future growth of the Sherwood Foundation, the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation (named after Susie’s late mother) and the Buffett Early Childhood Fund. The collective team of about 60 employees is expected to relocate at year’s end.

In the meantime, architectural design and renovations will tailor the new space to the foundations’ needs, said CBRE/Mega President Bennett Ginsberg, who represented Susie Buffett in the search.

At a price tag of $3.65M

bmt
Home Owners Association

Postby bmt » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:05 pm

I guess it is a good thing that that building will be occupied. Was kind of hoping that this building and the northern most conagra building would be torn down so the street grid could be redone.

Ben
Human Relations

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:19 am

Coyote wrote:
The new home — about 60,000 square feet on two floors of 808 Conagra Drive — allows for future growth of the Sherwood Foundation, the Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation (named after Susie’s late mother) and the Buffett Early Childhood Fund. The collective team of about 60 employees is expected to relocate at year’s end.

In the meantime, architectural design and renovations will tailor the new space to the foundations’ needs, said CBRE/Mega President Bennett Ginsberg, who represented Susie Buffett in the search.

At a price tag of $3.65M

Wow, 60k sqft for a current staff of 60 people? That some huge plans for expansion. At this current staffing level they could build everyone a 1 bedroom apartment, never mind an office...

bigredmed1
Home Owners Association

Postby bigredmed1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:12 pm

The early childhood development facility could include daycare and or lab space or treatment space for something like MMI's autism and feeding clinics. Those suck up serious space.

choke
Human Relations

Postby choke » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Stothert mentioned on the KIOS (NPR) Noon Forum today that ConAgra is still planning on developing the ConAgra Campus. She said that ConAgra does own all of the land down there now but there was some snags with the previous developer. She said ConAgra still intends to move forward with redevelopment and the plans call it to be an extension of the Old Market and a mixed use environment.

You can hear Stothert's "Vision for Omaha" on the Noon Forum here: http://kios.org/programs/noon-forum

blahhh

Postby blahhh » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Can Agra releases detailed plan of "Jobbers Canyon" campus redevelopment project.

Stargazer
County Board

Postby Stargazer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:04 am

Boom. Deliver this Sean Connolly, and you've redeemed yourself somewhat.

Maybe move this out of rumors.

$500M
Developer: Hines

http://www.omaha.com/money/million-prop ... fccaf.html

» The plaza extension of Harney Street leads to the lake. Visitors walking along the corridor could shop, eat or relax on a sloping green lawn whose zig-zag path winds to the dock area.

» Along the south side of the plaza would be a hotel with up to 200 rooms; a 300-unit apartment building and a low-rise residential structure with condominiums.

» On the north side of the corridor would be a 280-unit apartment complex with parking and about 50,000 square feet of restaurant-focused retail space. A 250,000-square-foot office building would rise, too.

» Farther south on the Conagra campus would rise another office building of about 250,000 square feet and a residential high-rise containing up to 250 units, either condos or apartments.

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:02 am

Wow, what a plan. Going to be a long process obviously, but this is a heck of a vision. Very impressed they got a developer like Hines on board too.

Garrett
Parks & Recreation

Postby Garrett » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 am

This looks incredible! Super exciting for downtown and the city.

Combined details and timeline:

Envisioned as a 10-year project that breaks ground in 2019, the initiative would build nine new structures containing roughly 500,000 square feet of office space, more than 80,000 square feet of retail space, a boutique hotel with up to 200 rooms and about 900 new residences.

I do have to wonder if the 500,000 sqft of office space is going to be sustainable. Capitol District left theirs out, and I doubt that Civic if its ever built will have theirs. However, having a big global firm like Hines behind it is incredibly exciting. Definitely leaves a little less doubt in that mind than some of the smaller local developers, no offense to them.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Postby Joe_Sovereign » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:16 am

Incredible vision. I am a pessimist but even if the residential units, office space, etc. ends up scaled back this would be an incredible boost to downtown.

iamjacobm
City Council

Postby iamjacobm » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:49 am

Garrett wrote:This looks incredible! Super exciting for downtown and the city.

Envisioned as a 10-year project that breaks ground in 2019, the initiative would build nine new structures containing roughly 500,000 square feet of office space, more than 80,000 square feet of retail space, a boutique hotel with up to 200 rooms and about 900 new residences.

I do have to wonder if the 500,000 sqft of office space is going to be sustainable. Capitol District left theirs out, and I doubt that Civic if its ever built will have theirs. However, having a big global firm like Hines behind it is incredibly exciting. Definitely leaves a little less doubt in that mind than some of the smaller local developers, no offense to them.

Will have to go back and do some digging, but off the top of my head west to east 192nd, West Farm, Methodist Office Redevelopment(smaller, but on the "Mixed-Use" bandwagon), Crossroads(who knows), Aksarben(getting close to tapped), Omaha Steel Land(if Nebraska Med ever moves here), Turner Park East, Civic Lot, Lanoha Tower, Lot B, ConAgra and River's Edge in CB. That has to be what over $4 or $5 billion in large scale projects(ignoring the small infill that will continue) that are in some form of the development process right now. Someone is going to be left out unless we start attracting a lot more population and job growth.

Brad
City Council

Postby Brad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:02 am

Wow, that's impressive.
Omaha Skyline Photos, Omaha Aerial Photos, and More.
http://www.bradwilliamsphotography.com
http://www.facebook.com/bradwilliamsphotography
@bradwphoto on Twitter
Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce Member

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Joe_Sovereign wrote:Incredible vision. I am a pessimist but even if the residential units, office space, etc. ends up scaled back this would be an incredible boost to downtown.

No question..

This is a very impressive and ambitious plan..Even 50% of the plan being built out would be a huge lift for downtown and the entire Old Market area...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

DaveRodgers
New to the Neighborhood

Postby DaveRodgers » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Confirmed with someone from Hines that Great Wolf Lodge is 100% locked in as part of this development. Should be the cornerstone for the entire thing.

Great to see Omaha finally acting like a contender instead of a pretender.

Garrett
Parks & Recreation

Postby Garrett » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:10 pm

DaveRodgers wrote:Confirmed with someone from Hines that Great Wolf Lodge is 100% locked in as part of this development. Should be the cornerstone for the entire thing.

I feel like you're being sarcastic here given that there is no resort hotel included in the development.
From Omaha to Chicago
From Axel to Garrett

Still the same guy

DaveRodgers
New to the Neighborhood

Postby DaveRodgers » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Garrett wrote:
DaveRodgers wrote:Confirmed with someone from Hines that Great Wolf Lodge is 100% locked in as part of this development. Should be the cornerstone for the entire thing.

I feel like you're being sarcastic here given that there is no resort hotel included in the development.

I guess we will see. Know they’ve been in talks since 2015.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Postby TitosBuritoBarn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:40 pm

I’d be really surprised if that were true. They don’t do urban locations, especially ones that aren’t a family friendly tourist trap, and the article said they haven’t marketed the project at all so supposedly there are no tenants.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert

buildomaha
Home Owners Association

Postby buildomaha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:31 pm

iamjacobm wrote:
Garrett wrote:This looks incredible! Super exciting for downtown and the city.

Will have to go back and do some digging, but off the top of my head west to east 192nd, West Farm, Methodist Office Redevelopment(smaller, but on the "Mixed-Use" bandwagon), Crossroads(who knows), Aksarben(getting close to tapped), Omaha Steel Land(if Nebraska Med ever moves here), Turner Park East, Civic Lot, Lanoha Tower, Lot B, ConAgra and River's Edge in CB. That has to be what over $4 or $5 billion in large scale projects(ignoring the small infill that will continue) that are in some form of the development process right now. Someone is going to be left out unless we start attracting a lot more population and job growth.

I think that once the population growth comes, the jobs won't be an issue. I'm sure the lack of available, employable people in Omaha turns some businesses away. With so many great projects and initiatives planned for Omaha, along with the great business environment, it shouldn't be hard to convince many companies that Omaha would be a great home.

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Postby Omaha Cowboy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:33 pm

DaveRodgers wrote:
Garrett wrote:

I guess we will see. Know they’ve been in talks since 2015.

There is no indication that this could be true in any way..

But stranger things have happened. Time will reveal the validity of your intel..

And welcome to the forum :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!

Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Postby Joe_Sovereign » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:54 pm

It is the European Village that we have always dreamed about. They must be keeping the Ferris Wheel design under wraps right now.

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Postby MadMartin8 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:41 pm

This thread is entirely too positive, and doesn't fit the normal reactions here. It's making me uncomfortable :?

Here, let me include some random negativity:

-In the rendering it didn't include a Light Rail/Monorail/BRT/APC/MBT/AARP/whatever
    -Des Moines is likely going to get a similar development, but theirs will be a $600 Million development that will take 9 years
    -Lincoln's district has a Buffalo Wings and Rings though! This development sucks as it doesn't have that

There, the balance has been restored.

In all seriousness, while I highly doubt that the demand is there for that much commercial space, this is a beautiful repurpose of that area...and I'm excited about the street changes too.
No posts exist for this topic

nebugeater
County Board

Postby nebugeater » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:08 pm

MadMartin8 wrote:This thread is entirely too positive, and doesn't fit the normal reactions here. It's making me uncomfortable :?

Here, let me include some random negativity:

-In the rendering it didn't include a Light Rail/Monorail/BRT/APC/MBT/AARP/whatever
    -Des Moines is likely going to get a similar development, but theirs will be a $600 Million development that will take 9 years
    -Lincoln's district has a Buffalo Wings and Rings though! This development sucks as it doesn't have that

There, the balance has been restored.

In all seriousness, while I highly doubt that the demand is there for that much commercial space, this is a beautiful repurpose of that area...and I'm excited about the street changes too.

You left out the needs for LOTS of surface parking and maybe a space for a Sam's club or Costco.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:03 am

I was totally not expecting this modern type of design to extend the Old Market, but that Harney street courtyard looks like it could become another Entertainment District on its own. One element I did not see at first, but there is a Pedestrian Bridge to get people to the east side of the lake, with a landing that I can't figure out...

GetUrban
Parks & Recreation

Postby GetUrban » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:37 pm

This will be a huge step back in the right direction. I hope they’ll do some combined coordination with Stinson’s committee and make sure it ties in seamlessly with redevelopment north to Lewis and Clark Landing and GLM.
I like the Harney extension, but wish they’d put back in some stronger north-south connections too, such as 9th St from Jackson to Harney and 8th St from Harney north to L&C Landing. Otherwise, this is very exciting, and it’s nice to see they’re not afraid to take out some of the big ugly red brick suburban ConAgra buildings!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:52 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (231.09 KiB) Viewed 901 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (237.49 KiB) Viewed 901 times

Coyote
City Council

Postby Coyote » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29 pm

With the potential to reconnect Conagra's downtown campus with rest of city, proposed project has Omaha leaders excited to get started

(Stinson) noted that the plan didn’t take into account some aspects of his committee’s concepts, including an idea to reduce the size of Conagra Lake at Heartland of America Park; the committee had proposed chopping the lake to 9 acres from 15 to make room to extend Farnam Street, allowing Gene Leahy Mall to open up to the Missouri River.

Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Postby Joe_Sovereign » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:13 am

Interesting about Hines combining their plan with the Riverfront redevelopment plan. Shrinking the lake and extending Farnam plus the Harney Street Plaza would be very interesting.

I wonder though about the bridge over the lake or shrinking the lake if they might need to shrink the fountain as well. Anyone who has walked around the lake on even a moderately windy day (which is about everyday in Nebraska) knows the spray from the fountain doesn't stay inside the confines of the lake.

Return to “Urban Omaha Development”