southwest magazine

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

southwest magazine

Post by Guest »

Not a rumor, but southwest airlines had a nice 30-page article about Omaha in the May edition of their Spirit magazine.  tried to post link.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

that's a damned good shot.  It's amazing how still the water is in GLM
Go Cubs Go
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Awesome article...except they mislabeled the photo of the building in North Downtown with the mural on it as the Bemis Center.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Awesome article...except they mislabeled the photo of the building in North Downtown with the mural on it as the Bemis Center.
I just started it, and already I also see that they labeled the rooftop deck at the Old Market Lofts the "Beebe + Runyan Luxury Lofts". Who edited this thing? Or were they just intentionally making things up as they went.  :?

Anyway, it's obviously still great exposure for the city - though it reeks of "tourism bureau" (ie. the Omaha CVB), as opposed to being actual journalism.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963

Post by Guest »

Looks to me like an easy way to sell add space. That same article, almost verbatim it would seem, has been written elsewhere a million times.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Not to throw their journalistic integrity under the bus, but the section on housing options contained an interview with some random Joe Schmoe off the street named Clark Lauritzen.  

Apparently after graduating from Princeton and Harvard Biz Schools and living all over the US, he did some soul searching and moved back to Omaha to settle into a long term career and family life.

No details of the arduous, agonizing process that brought him to that life-altering decision, though. :;):
Stable genius.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Not to open up an old can of worms...but on the last document called Sleep they refer to North Downtown and say in parentheses "Local's refer to it as North Downtown."  I have never heard anyone say this besides the media.  

Great exposure though.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:Not to open up an old can of worms...but on the last document called Sleep they refer to North Downtown and say in parentheses "Local's refer to it as North Downtown."  I have never heard anyone say this besides the media.
Exactly. Nobody Calls it that. It's a filler name that realtors and developers use until the area actually develops a name.

I've always thought it would be sweet to call the area "The Slowdown" after the bar and venue, and after that whole development, which the Saddle Creek guys invested in.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

OmahaJaysCU wrote:"Local's refer to it as North Downtown."  I have never heard anyone say this besides the media.  
I have.

And I admit to using the term on occasion. LOL, I particularly love to use it when I know somebody will get their {unmentionables} in a wad when they hear the term. :)  Extra points for getting both "North Downtown" and "The Blatt" in one sentence. :) :) :)

(Okay, I'll shut up.) :)
InTheO!
New to the Neighborhood

Post by InTheO! »

I call it North Downtown since I like the name and it seems to work for it. Didn't you just love how the Sleep section was one big ad for Hilton? We've got tons of better imho places and more original ones. All in all it was a good article, a bit repetitive sometimes.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Awesome article...except they mislabeled the photo of the building in North Downtown with the mural on it as the Bemis Center.
I just started it, and already I also see that they labeled the rooftop deck at the Old Market Lofts the "Beebe + Runyan Luxury Lofts". Who edited this thing? Or were they just intentionally making things up as they went.  :?

Anyway, it's obviously still great exposure for the city - though it reeks of "tourism bureau" (ie. the Omaha CVB), as opposed to being actual journalism.
There is never, ever, any "actual journalism" in an airline magazine.  The two concepts are mutually exclusive.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

nativeomahan wrote:There is never, ever, any "actual journalism" in an airline magazine.  The two concepts are mutually exclusive.
Haha, what about SkyMall?

As an aside, I've always wondered what happens to the C students from my college classes.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

They go into politics.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Seth wrote:As an aside, I've always wondered what happens to the C students from my college classes.
Well, one of them was our President for a while. :)
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Omababe wrote:
Seth wrote:As an aside, I've always wondered what happens to the C students from my college classes.
C's?  I think you're being too nice...
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Omababe wrote:
Well, thank God he won reelection, or we'd have had a bozo with an even lower GPA.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan