Farm Land SW 144th and Pacific

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Farm Land SW 144th and Pacific

Post by Guest »

The lady who owned the Farm Land SW 144th and Pacific land recently died and I heard they are going to sell it soon and it will probably get developed.

Neighborhood, business park?  Mixed use?  I don't know.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Millard north to the north, St Wenceslaus to the west and Harvey Oaks to the south?

Post by Guest »

Yes
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

This is an enormous chunk of land.  I'd expect we'll see all sorts of uses carved out of it.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Post by Guest »

Great spot for a new TND with a "town square" retail/commercial setup.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anonymous wrote:Great spot for a new TND with a "town square" retail/commercial setup.
Before the economy went south they were going to do that to the farm to the north on the Boystown land.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I wouldn't be surprised if St. Wenceslaus gets a little more land in her will also.  She donated all the land for the church and school when if moved from 14th and Pine to way out west.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Did we ever figured out what was going on north of Millard North ?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Would make a nice spot for park (named after the old bird) instead of developing every inch of every former corn field.

Post by Guest »

There are already adequate parks serving the area.  I'll take taxable valuation, thanks.
zippy
Home Owners Association

Post by zippy »

At one point, word in the neighborhood was that her husband sold the land before his death, but the purchasing entity couldn't take over until she died. I'd also heard that St Wenceslaus would be gaining a new entrance at the light at 153rd St.

I don't know if that's true, or who the supposed buyer was, but this **IS** the rumors forum...

Post by Guest »

Brad wrote:Millard north to the north, St Wenceslaus to the west and Harvey Oaks to the south?
My geography may be off here, but North of the school and West???  or East of the church are on separate sides of Pacific.  Which piece of land is this about?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Anonymous wrote:
Brad wrote:Millard north to the north, St Wenceslaus to the west and Harvey Oaks to the south?
My geography may be off here, but North of the school and West???  or East of the church are on separate sides of Pacific.  Which piece of land is this about?
Southwest corner I believe directly to the south across from Millard North.

Post by Guest »

nebport5 wrote:Would make a nice spot for park (named after the old bird) instead of developing every inch of every former corn field.
Last thing the city needs is another park that they cannot afford to keep up.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Stargazer wrote:Did we ever figured out what was going on north of Millard North ?
If you are referring to the raised area with the fencing, my understanding is that they dredged the lake at Boys Town, and that's where they deposited the "gunk" from the bottom of the lake.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Anonymous wrote:
nebport5 wrote:Would make a nice spot for park (named after the old bird) instead of developing every inch of every former corn field.
Last thing the city needs is another park that they cannot afford to keep up.

maybe it's time for more annexations or to raise taxes.  :twisted:
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm so glad they may finally build something on that land.  I always thought that belonged to Boys Town.  I've always disliked driving along that stretch of cornfields.  It feels like you're getting out in the "boon docks", yet a 1982 highschool (Millard North) is on your right, late 70's homes back the field on the left (Harvey Oaks), and then you come to "Piedmont" on the right (nothing against Peidmont, but their entrance sign always reminds me of termite mounds on the African savannah).  Then, when I get to Pacific Hollow, I start liking the scene better, and I like driving Pacific all the way until 204th.  I hope they build something really nice there.
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

I did some quick research on the land on 144th & Pacific (south of pacific).   I didn't find confirmation that the owner of the parcel died, but noticed that the land on the corner has a house on it and the first name of the owner is different than the first name of the owner on the 200+ acres to the south and west of the parcel w/the ranch home.   both use the same mailing address.   Perhaps the family is holding onto the land.   The pond that was mentioned in the forum here has to do with a completely different parcel north of Millard North.  That is Boystown Land and the bank w/the fence was built to hold silt from the dredged boystown lake.    I don't think we'll see any development on the large parcel south of Pacific on 144th.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

FYI the Farmland on the Southwest corner of 144th and Pacific has not been planted yet.  Could be a sign...
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Brad wrote:FYI the Farmland on the Southwest corner of 144th and Pacific has not been planted yet.  Could be a sign...
The farm behind my house was just planted today.  Soybeans this year.   Might just be late.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote:
Brad wrote:FYI the Farmland on the Southwest corner of 144th and Pacific has not been planted yet.  Could be a sign...
The farm behind my house was just planted today.  Soybeans this year.   Might just be late.
That field was corn last year so it will probably be beans this year too.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Planting for the midwest as a whole is running way behind last years pace and behind the averages too.  Been too wet and cool.  There was some gains made last week but while last year most crops were in at this time as of late last week it was about 50% planted and the weekend weather didn't help a lot.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Trenton from Grow Omaha said that he heard a rumor that this land is for sale, for about $13 Million.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Any idea how many acres that land is?  

Brad wrote:Trenton from Grow Omaha said that he heard a rumor that this land is for sale, for about $13 Million.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Any idea how many acres that land is?  
215.5 AC
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Isn't that owned by Boystown.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Isn't that owned by Boystown.
Not the South West Corner, only the property west of Boystown.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OK, is this the land that the owner died about 2 years ago?
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Brad wrote:Trenton from Grow Omaha said that he heard a rumor that this land is for sale, for about $13 Million.
Brad wrote: 215.5 AC
I get that the city has surrounded that land, but $13 million for 215.5 acres is $60,300 an acre.  That seems high.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

It's going to be the promised Disneyland Midwest with the massive new businesses, parking and unicorns. The rumor will finally come true!!!!  :yes:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

lisanstan wrote:It's going to be the promised Disneylande Midweste with the massive new businesses, parking and unicorns. The rumor will finally come true!!!!  :yes:
FTFY
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Post by Guest »

lisanstan wrote:It's going to be the promised Disneyland Midwest with the massive new businesses, parking and unicorns. The rumor will finally come true!!!!  :yes:
DISNEY VILLAGE!!!

Post by Guest »

Mr.Nuke wrote:
Brad wrote: 215.5 AC
I get that the city has surrounded that land, but $13 million for 215.5 acres is $60,300 an acre.  That seems high.
That's only $1.50/SF.  That's really really low for this location.  I would guess $1.50/ SF would be land for single family located for example at 180th and Fort.  On the other extreme, here in West Des Moines in 2006, 90 acres undeveloped sold for $30 million or $7.50/ SF.  

My grandpa has 40 acres in west Omaha that is currently farmland on a major intersection.  He gets several low-ball offers on it per year of $1 to $1.50 per SF.  He wants to sell but not for less than $2.50.  I think it's worth more than that based off of land sale prices here in Des Moines area.