Wallstreet is Dead aka: FOR SALE

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Post by Guest »

oh, did I forget the </sarcasm> tag?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Haha sorry I try not to assume sarcasm on the internet b/c hey you never know.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

The hole would be better used to start our subway system.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ShawJ wrote:The hole would be better used to start our subway system.
Exactly!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

DTO

Post by Guest »

I'm surprised you didn't take the opportunity to scale that fence.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anonymous wrote:I'm surprised you didn't take the opportunity to scale that fence.
You know it would hold him... :;):
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Great shot, D'Shawn.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Just for the heck of it I went to the Wallstreet tower website thinking that it would no longer exist, but no it's still alive and kicking. :D  Please tell me the sales offices are closed. I still can't believe Townsend or the city will not release some type of information on what's next for that block.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Why isn't this thread in the Projects Never Built section?
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

nativeomahan wrote:Why isn't this thread in the Projects Never Built section?
I'm guessing it'll be moved over there in the next 60-90 days.

Post by Guest »

Let me reiterate, the City can not simply take back the ground.  Ownership has been transferred.  The City could take it to court and who knows what could happen there but the City does not have the option to just kick Townsend out for free.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

nativeomahan wrote:Why isn't this thread in the Projects Never Built section?
Because the Wallstreet thread is already in that section?  And this is just a rumor in the rumors section?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Let me reiterate, the City can not simply take back the ground.  Ownership has been transferred.  The City could take it to court and who knows what could happen there but the City does not have the option to just kick Townsend out for free.

So, very likely it could be a hole in the ground for several years?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Maybe they can fill the hole with water and stock it with rubber ducks.

Post by Guest »

I am curious if the sales office is still open as well.  Has anyone checked it out?

Although the the Townsand did only pay a dollar for the land, he has invested millions in the sales center and demolition so there has been alot of investment so it seems it is his land to sell.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Maybe the city should take it by eminent domain, give him his dollar back, and start afresh.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

I still don't see how people are claiming this is Townsend's land free and clear. It's been pretty widely reported that in exchange for practically giving him the land he had to sign a clause promising to develop the land. That hasn't happened, so if the city wants to take back the land it appears they are well within their legal right to do so.

Post by Guest »

The models are on City property and the City is working to get that one under control and ready for permanent construction.  The Wall Street site, for better or worse, was sold.  Regardless of what some think the agreement said, the City felt that the project was moving forward and went ahead and transferred ownership.  Probably a bad move but nonetheless, getting it back will require money, legal action or both.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Anonymous wrote:The models are on City property and the City is working to get that one under control and ready for permanent construction.  The Wall Street site, for better or worse, was sold.  Regardless of what some think the agreement said, the City felt that the project was moving forward and went ahead and transferred ownership.  Probably a bad move but nonetheless, getting it back will require money, legal action or both.
Smoooooooooooooth.......

Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Anonymous wrote:The models are on City property and the City is working to get that one under control and ready for permanent construction.  The Wall Street site, for better or worse, was sold.  Regardless of what some think the agreement said, the City felt that the project was moving forward and went ahead and transferred ownership.  Probably a bad move but nonetheless, getting it back will require money, legal action or both.
If the sales contract had a clause in it protecting the city's interest should Townsend not follow through on development, then the ownership of the land would easily revert. Sure, Townsend could probably fight it in court but I highly doubt it would be successful.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I'm hearing now that condemnation is an option and the existing appraisal is 3.5mil.