Omaha World Herald Food Critic Opening

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ThatGuy
Human Relations

Omaha World Herald Food Critic Opening

Post by ThatGuy »

Anybody know if she quit/got fired? There has been no restaurant reviews or dining notes since March 4th. I sent her an email and it came back with an auto-reply saying she would be out of the office for "a few days".
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I wondered that myself.
icejammer
County Board

Re: Nichole Aksamit-Omaha World Herald

Post by icejammer »

ThatGuy wrote:Anybody know if she quit/got fired? There has been no restaurant reviews or dining notes since March 4th. I sent her an email and it came back with an auto-reply saying she would be out of the office for "a few days".
Just did a quick search on OWH and looks like nothing since March 9, at least online.  I don't pay enough attention to the print version to see if she's had anything in since then.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

This would lead me to say that she is no longer at the OWH.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/nichole-aksamit/5/a3/378

Nichole Aksamit's Experience
Food writer, restaurant critic and "food in all its glory" reporter Omaha World-Herald
Privately Held; Newspapers industry

March 2007 – March 2011 (4 years 1 month)
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

That sucks. I think she was very good at her job and I really enjoyed reading her on Friday mornings.

Post by Guest »

There was a dining notes article posted Friday by Michaela Saunders.

More evidence that Nichole Aksamit is gone? She normally does those in addition to the reviews.
Omaha Restaurant Examiner
New to the Neighborhood

Nichole Aksamit-Omaha World Herald

Post by Omaha Restaurant Examiner »

Hopefully this will help you a bit, some information about the OWH new job opening.

http://www.examiner.com/restaurant-in-o ... ood-critic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Thanks John. Great points also.

Post by Guest »

She was honest and not a kiss arse at all like the last OWH reviewer. I'm sure they will now hire someone who will not offend any possible advertiser. Can't wait for that first review.

"Upon entering Applebee's our party was reminded of days spent in small-town cafes. The aroma was that of down-home country food, yet the modern decor woke us to the fact that we were in a much more urban and modern setting...The food was well worth sending a postcard home to mom. Try the wings and fried shrimp." (see page 3 four coupon)

Can I have the job?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Too bad I am not Qualified... I think being the Food Critic would be a "Dream Job"!
http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listi ... ID=1242911
New to the Neighborhood

Nichole Aksamit-Omaha World Herald

It seems to be a typical PR move to just sweep things under a rug.  

In the mean time please check out my content covering food and wine events in Omaha.  Click subscribe on any of my articles, the cost is free, all you need is an email address to receive email alerts when I publish new content.

http://www.examiner.com/restaurant-in-o ... vatinovich

@Coyote, thanks.

@Guests, I think that may be the next route for the paper.  It would be hard to have a true critic working for the only daily newspaper in any city.  It could be done, but not the way the OWH has done it in the past.

Post by Guest »

Temporary replacement? New review up today from Betsie Freeman. LinkedIn says she's OWH features editor.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Yesterday their MUSIC critic wrote the dining review.  Sigh.
Maybe next week it will be the obituary writer.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

nativeomahan wrote:Yesterday their MUSIC critic wrote the dining review.  Sigh.
Yeah, and he did a review on a sports bar. Maybe next week they can have a sports writer give a review of the latest Nickelback album.  :roll:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ThatGuy wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:Yesterday their MUSIC critic wrote the dining review.  Sigh.
Yeah, and he did a review on a sports bar. Maybe next week they can have a sports writer give a review of the latest Nickelback album.  :roll:
I think the only way I could read a Nickelback album review is if Shatel were to write it.   :;):
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Irreconcilable differences

Post by Globochem »

She left the paper (or was forced out) because of an article she wrote over the Brickhouse.  The position is being advertised until the 28th.  So....get your qualified foodie writing friends to submit resumes to the Herald.  Another "goof proof" article will put me over the edge.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Can't find the review.  Anyone else have a link?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

almighty_tuna wrote:Can't find the review.  Anyone else have a link?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100312/E ... /703129897
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Nothing out of the ordinary. Wonder if maybe she wanted to tear into them and wasn't allowed. I've heard nothing but bad things about the place.

Here the review. http://www.omaha.com/article/20110120/GO/701209961/0

Post by Guest »

That's not the review or at least it's not a review by her.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

That was the OWH's review. Didn't even notice it was written by someone else.

Post by Guest »

The article was scrapped when she left.  It was then rewritten to fit in with the OWH culture writing style by her editor.  AKA bland and useless to the public.  If you can't find the article it's probably because the paper has an inexcusably poor archive.
KilgoreTrout

Post by KilgoreTrout »

I'll miss her reviews.  She was one of the few decent writers the crappy paper had.  So typical.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

KilgoreTrout wrote:I'll miss her reviews.  She was one of the few decent writers the crappy paper had.  So typical.
You got that right!  I have a subscription renewal notice on my coffee table for the OWH and it ain't gonna get sent back.

And The Brick House or whatever it is called has the single worst composite customer ratings of any of over 2000 metro Omaha restaurants rated on UrbanSpoon.com.  Only about 30% positive.
New to the Neighborhood

Food News Fix in Omaha

If you are in need of good food news, or need a new source of information about restaurants, head on over to my webpage http://www.examiner.com/restaurant-in-o ... vatinovich

I do not have the food writing experience of a journalist, however my food industry knowledge is far greater, and my passion for the foodservice industry is contagious.  

My focus is to unite, inform, and inspire readers and employees of the foodservice industry.  I cover charity events, restaurant news, and interviews as well as any other foodservice topic across the restaurant industry.

Thank you,
John
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Would you care to comment on common foods that reappear in soup or pizza form?  For example taco salad...pizza.  Buffalo wing...soup.  What does a food guerrilla have to say about this?

Post by Guest »

I did really enjoy her because I thought she did tell it like it is.

I've been to the Brickhouse a couple times though and thought it was fine.  I saw there were some low scores but I can tell you the two times I've been there the place was packed so obviously the non-voting public seems to like it.

Greg

Post by Guest »

Are we really sure she left because of a Brick House review? I don't remember seeing this review. And the only info about Brick House on OWH is written by other people.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think they referenced the Brick House review she wrote but the OWH did not publish.  They subbed others for it.

Post by Guest »

But she still did reviews for two months after that pseudo-review of Brick House written by someone else. That's why I question whether it was actually related to Brick House.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

The Brickhouse review that she wrote was never published.  Instead it was rewritten as a "Food Trends" feature news story.  Since then the OWH has published disappointing review after disappointing review written by Betsie Freeman (eerily similar in tone to Aksamit), Niz Proskocil (readable though boring) and the thoroughly dismaying Kevin Coffey. For a week or so there wasn't even a real food story.  The paper does a terrible job of updating its dining page online.  This does not bode well for the future of food writing in Omaha.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Globochem wrote:This does not bode well for the future of food writing in Omaha.
Well, at least from the OWH.  The Gastronomic Fight Club really has a chance to corner the market with good (independent) food reviews.
snekse
New to the Neighborhood

Post by snekse »

almighty_tuna wrote:Well, at least from the OWH.  The Gastronomic Fight Club really has a chance to corner the market with good (independent) food reviews.
Thanks Tuna :-)  Not really looking to corner the market, but put an opinionated point of view out there.  And actually, after our re-launch (I promise it's finally coming), we hope to have many opinionated voices.

Question for everyone: What makes a good restaurant review and why do you read restaurant reviews?
Gastronomic Fight Club
http://www.gastronomicfightclub.com/

Foodies of Omaha Discussion Board
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FoodiesOfOmaha/
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

snekse wrote:Question for everyone: What makes a good restaurant review and why do you read restaurant reviews?
A good restaurant review is unbiased, not a warmed-over marketing piece as many are, and are written from the perspective of a prospective dining customer.

Why do I, personally, read them. Because they are there. :)
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I look for the following in restaurant reviews:

1.  Intelligence.  Having 30 or 40 years of eating (literally) under your belt doesn't count.  The writer must know a lot about the restaurant scene, and know how to cook!  Ideally the writer gets his or her best meals when they are cooking for themselves at home.  That way they can appreciate the trouble and care that goes into creating and serving a good meal.
2.  Honesty and impartiality.  If the food and service is great, say so.  If it sucks, say so.  If it is mediocre, tell us why.
3.  Wit.  Know how to write.  Be informative and entertaining.  Nichole knew how to write like a pro.  I can only hope the next reviewer does half as good.
4.  Don't talk down to your readers.  Don't treat us like morons.  But by the same token, write for people who like to read, and who enjoy eating out often, and don't mind spending money to do so.
5.  Encourage the reader to choose smart and fresh, by focusing on restaurants that support area farmers, and seasonally rotate their menus.
6.  Review the bar menu as well.  Let us know how sophisticated the beer selection and wine lists are.  How about cocktails...does the restaurant have a deep bench when it comes to liquor, and maybe has its own specialty libations.
7.  Encourage good restaurateurs and chefs, by praising their efforts.  And on the other hand chide those who seem only in it for a fast buck, who cut corners by serving canned or frozen food that anyone could serve at home.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nativeomahan wrote:I look for the following in restaurant reviews:

1.  Intelligence.  Having 30 or 40 years of eating (literally) under your belt doesn't count.  The writer must know a lot about the restaurant scene, and know how to cook!  Ideally the writer gets his or her best meals when they are cooking for themselves at home.  That way they can appreciate the trouble and care that goes into creating and serving a good meal.
2.  Honesty and impartiality.  If the food and service is great, say so.  If it sucks, say so.  If it is mediocre, tell us why.
3.  Wit.  Know how to write.  Be informative and entertaining.  Nichole knew how to write like a pro.  I can only hope the next reviewer does half as good.
4.  Don't talk down to your readers.  Don't treat us like morons.  But by the same token, write for people who like to read, and who enjoy eating out often, and don't mind spending money to do so.
5.  Encourage the reader to choose smart and fresh, by focusing on restaurants that support area farmers, and seasonally rotate their menus.
6.  Review the bar menu as well.  Let us know how sophisticated the beer selection and wine lists are.  How about cocktails...does the restaurant have a deep bench when it comes to liquor, and maybe has its own specialty libations.
7.  Encourage good restaurateurs and chefs, by praising their efforts.  And on the other hand chide those who seem only in it for a fast buck, who cut corners by serving canned or frozen food that anyone could serve at home.
I'll say critique the restaurant on what it is trying to do, not on what you want it to do.  Don't complain about a place not being "authentic Italian" if it's not trying to be authentic Italian.

That being said, I agree with everything you said except #5 directly conflicts with #2 (although I agree that #5 is a big plus).

Hee hee...  I said #2.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:6.  Review the bar menu as well.  Let us know how sophisticated the beer selection and wine lists are.  How about cocktails...does the restaurant have a deep bench when it comes to liquor, and maybe has its own specialty libations.
And review the wait staff's knowledge of the bar menu.  We rolled in to a nice Italian joint on the south east part of the city last Saturday, great food, great service, except when I asked what kind of beer they had, she said "We have all the regulars, bud, bud light, miller light, coors light".  I asked if there was anything else because if you are charging $20+ for a plate of Pasta, you better have more than the "Regulars".  Come to find out that they have Birra Moretti  on tap!
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

snekse wrote:Thanks Tuna :-)  Not really looking to corner the market, but put an opinionated point of view out there.
:thumb:

Considering the current state of OWH food writing though, it wouldn't be a difficult feat.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Mike’l Severe is evidently doing reviews for the OWH. Sigh...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ThatGuy wrote:Mike’l Severe is evidently doing reviews for the OWH. Sigh...
It says "CORRESPONDENT" after his name so may be they are just having him fill in or they are trying different people out.