Omaha World Herald Food Critic Opening

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I like Mike'l.

Greg

Post by Guest »

ThatGuy wrote:Mike’l Severe is evidently doing reviews for the OWH. Sigh...
I can't say that I was unhappy with his work at KETV.  Not Pulitzer material either though.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

So this is the new OWH format.  100 monkeys with 100 typewriters.  I guess eventually we will get a decent review.  Not that it even matters.  The Herald has decided that restaurants in Omaha are a joke and don't need any coverage.  This GARBAGE of unqualified jerk offs writing in some meaningless column that the paper can't even fake to care about is intolerably insulting.  STOP READING THE PAPER.  STOP BUYING IT.  STOP ADVERTISING IN IT.  It is obvious to everyone with a brain that the The World Herald is insufferably ill equipped to find writers let alone editors that any more interested in the subject than the readers become disinterested in reading it.  Ugh. What a waste.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Infinite Monkey Theorem. Nice reference.
Stable genius.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Greg S wrote:I like Mike'l.

Greg
I guess he was alright as a news reporter, but can't stand him on the radio. That's not really the point though. It's more about his qualifications to be a food critic. I'd like the OWH to send him to the Boiler Room for his next assignment and see what he comes up with.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't have a problem with him as a food critic.  I am not sure 100% what his qualifications, but from what I have seen he has several good qualifications.

1.  Grew up in a food family.
2.  Has lived in several different parts of the country
3.  Has a journalism degree
4.  Speaks his mind, if he doesn't like something he is going to say it.

After people riping the OWH for getting rid of the Aksamit for a harsh review, Mike'l should be a good replacement because I don't see him cutting any slack.
MrM
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MrM »

His review didn't do a thing for me!

Post by Guest »

Brad wrote:I don't have a problem with him as a food critic.  I am not sure 100% what his qualifications, but from what I have seen he has several good qualifications.

1.  Grew up in a food family.
2.  Has lived in several different parts of the country
3.  Has a journalism degree
4.  Speaks his mind, if he doesn't like something he is going to say it.
Your number one point is that he "grew up in a food family"

Seriously?
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Surely you all realize that the paper has decided to change the writer every week due to some feckless idea of weaseling out of any accountability for what a "correspondent" might write.  Journalistic cowards.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anonymous wrote:Your number one point is that he "grew up in a food family"

Seriously?
Yes, If you are around it you learn it.

I think if he was new to Omaha and not voicing his opinion on sports radio for several years most of you would never know the difference.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Brad wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Your number one point is that he "grew up in a food family"

Seriously?
Yes, If you are around it you learn it.
Agreed.  I'm certainly no culinary master but I like to cook and can put together a damn good buerre blanc sauce.  The kids try all sorts of things, including baby octopus, that most other kids would gag at.  While they may not like all of it, or deftly break down a complex sauce, it's exposure to the ingredients and flavors which most do not have.  

It's always amusing when the oldest has her friends over and listen to them quietly complain that there's no Burger King or non-canned pasta sauce tastes funny.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Did Nicole have a culinary degree?

Greg
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Greg S wrote:Did Nicole have a culinary degree?

Greg
Good question. I'm guessing no.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

She certainly has a love of food, and a flair for writing not often seen.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Greg S wrote:Did Nicole have a culinary degree?

Greg
No.  She is adjunct faculty at MCC Intitute for Culinary Arts now.  She has also been taking classes.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

OK, so it sounds like it's something she's picked up after getting the food job at the OWH?  I think when she started there she was not on the food angle initially.

Greg

Post by Guest »

Just read this from Gastronomic Fight Club on Facebook:

Meet Nichole Aksamit -- former Omaha World-Herald food writer -- at the market.  She's teaming up with the Institute for the Culinary Arts at Metropolitan Community College to offer Sage at the Market,  while sharpening our recipe, event planning and marketing skills.  We'll share what we learn in a demonstration kitchen at the Village Pointe Farmers Market on Saturdays this summer.

Tell a chef or serious foodie friend. Or e-mail Nichole (or leave a comment) for more details.

But don't delay. Classes begin June 10. Seats are limited.

See you at the market!
Globochem
Home Owners Association

No Food Writer at the Omaha World Herald

Post by Globochem »

Another week goes by and the OWH continues to insult readers committed to food and dining.  Although the online edition shows a dining notes section, there is no review.  Perhaps the Obituary writer for the David City Banner Press was already hitting deadline and didn't have time to pen a word for the Herald.  Pathetic.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

The Association Food Journalists announced their Finalists.  Kansas City Star considered twice.  For best Newspaper Food Column and for Best Special Food Project.  Oy, this town has a long, long way to go.  :(

Post by Guest »

Brad wrote:
ThatGuy wrote:Mike’l Severe is evidently doing reviews for the OWH. Sigh...
It says "CORRESPONDENT" after his name so may be they are just having him fill in or they are trying different people out.
Now it says "WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER" after his name. What a |expletive| joke.
Moi

OWH Food Critic

Post by Moi »

The World-Herald online edition lists Severe as a "Staff Writer" while the print edition lists him as a "correspondent."  I tend to trust the print edition.  As a former journalist, my opinion is that Severe's too much of a hack to even be considered for a full-time position.
ArchStanton
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ArchStanton »

Greg S wrote:OK, so it sounds like it's something she's picked up after getting the food job at the OWH?  I think when she started there she was not on the food angle initially.

Greg
No, she started elsewhere in the paper.  Can't recall where now.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Will be interesting to see if they reassign someone like they did with Nicole or go out and hire a food critic from the outside this time.  They hired the best sportswriter in the state recently, Sam McKewon.  I've been reading him for years on nestatepaper.com and wondering why either the OWH or LJS had not hired him.

Greg

Post by Guest »

Sad to see Askimit go.  I thought she was one of the best writers (along with Rich Kaipust) at the OWH.  The least they could do is hire a stringer to fill in while they're looking for someone.  The people subbing now are just plain embarrassing.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

^^Forgot to log in^^.  

Or maybe they should just buy articles from one of Omaha's food blogs.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

ricko wrote:^^Forgot to log in^^.  

Or maybe they should just buy articles from one of Omaha's food blogs.
Or turn it over to the contributors to this thread!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I wish the writers guild in Omaha would just agree to subvert the OWH's marketing fears with their reviews.

They used to do this with the Opera.  They reviewed the Wednesday night show and if they published a review on Thursday, you knew that the opera would be at least passingly OK.  If they didn't, you knew it was going to suck out loud (and in Italian).

Perhaps they could do the same with restaurants?  No review = the place sucks.  A review= at least worth a look.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Exactly!!!!!!  Now, mentioning that you are disappointed by a place does have merit.  Not EVERY review should be positive; that just skews the curve.  But, reviews have power, and the should be treated with respect.  Only review places that deserve it.  Period.  Keeps the riff-raff out so to speak.

Post by Guest »

Was there a review or dining notes in today's print edition? Does anybody even read the print edition anymore?
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Yes, I get the paper edition. It's still a heck of a lot easier to read than the online version.  I do go online to check out a few stories here and there, though.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I read the print as well.  Still one of my favorite parts of the week is the Sunday morning paper with coffee.  Not the same on a iPad.

Greg

Post by Guest »

Severe is doing one review a month for the paper.  I'd assume for now they'll likely be rotating the other reviews for at least 2-3 weeks a month from current (actual) staff writers.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

WHAT?  Have they given up on hiring a qualified full time reviewer?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I've got to admit, I really enjoyed Mike'L's review in last Friday's paper.

Greg
Moi

Hackery

Post by Moi »

Greg S wrote:I've got to admit, I really enjoyed Mike'L's review in last Friday's paper.

Greg
I agree that Severe's reviews can be entertaining, but if he is intending to actually critique and review a restaurant, he has a long way to go.

Actually, his job as a reviewer is impossible.  His time on television makes it impossible to get a "normal" dining experience.  Chefs at restaurants will see him walk in the door and instantly know he's a food reviewer, since they recognize him from his time on KETV.  The chefs know to make sure that he gets the best table, extra attention from the bar and wait staff and they make sure that Severe's order comes out perfect with extra attention to detail towards the dish.  I don't know about you, but when I go to a restaurant, I don't always get treated that way.  I'm sure Severe gets treated that way almost anytime he walks into a restaurant, because all chefs know that restaurant reviews can make or break a restaurant.

He also has no problems hiding his identity from the owners and chefs at restaurants.  As Severe's review of Finicky Frank's, after the second visit, he said, "After my second visit to Finicky Franks, I sat outside with her for more than an hour, talking travel, cookbooks, Food Network programming and what inspires her. For every dish I asked about, she had a story from a cookbook or a restaurant she had visited."  So much for anonymity.  All good reviewers will get input from the owners/chefs by phone after their requisite two visits to a restaurant so that they can maintain their anonymity and impartiality.  When Severe is chatting it up with the owners/chefs, if he starts becoming buddies with them, it's harder to remain impartial to the review and offer unbiased opinions of the food.

As for the content of his reviews, I think he doesn't have the depth of the previous couple of food reviewers all the back to Jim Delmont.  (Side note--you can still find Jim Delmont reviewing restaurants on ShoutOmaha's website/magazine.  His reviews come closer to what a review should be like.)  I want more in-depth knowledge of his opinions of each dish.  His knowledge of the food he writes about pretty much comes from the listings on the menus.  After reading a review of a dish, I want to know every spice that is included in the dish, how much heat it brought to the dish and how the mouth-feel one experiences after eating the dish.  A great review leaves me so that after I read it, I know how that dish is going to taste even before I go to the restaurant and order it.  Severe will simply throw out an occasional spice or herb in his review (basil, paprika, red pepper) and call it good.  In his Finicky Frank's review, he talks about the "homemade alfredo sauce."  What ingredients do they use that make this homemade sauce unique?  I, and everyone else, want to know!

Unfortunately, all the comments that I've detailed above also (with the exception of chatting up the owners in person that Severe loves to do) pertain to the revolving cast of pseudo-reviewers that the World-Herald is passing off to us.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like the OWH has filled their food writes opening

Baker Hansen, a 33 yr old UNL grad starts on Monday.  Also sounds like they will continue to have some "guest" reviews.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110923/G ... or-readers

The World-Herald's new food writer is a native Omahan and a graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln who says she's always loved the city's "engaging" restaurant scene.

Sarah Baker Hansen, 33, joined the staff Monday. She will write restaurant reviews and report on food industry news and trends, such as grocery prices and food safety. She also will contribute stories about home cooking.

..................The newspaper will continue to offer a variety of voices in restaurant reviews. Baker Hansen will alternate her critiques with freelance writers from the community. And she'll update our dining page at Omaha.com, offering readers the chance to weigh in, too. ...........................
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Re: Hackery

Post by Greg S »

Moi wrote:
Greg S wrote:I've got to admit, I really enjoyed Mike'L's review in last Friday's paper.

Greg
I agree that Severe's reviews can be entertaining, but if he is intending to actually critique and review a restaurant, he has a long way to go.

Actually, his job as a reviewer is impossible.  His time on television makes it impossible to get a "normal" dining experience.  Chefs at restaurants will see him walk in the door and instantly know he's a food reviewer, since they recognize him from his time on KETV.  The chefs know to make sure that he gets the best table, extra attention from the bar and wait staff and they make sure that Severe's order comes out perfect with extra attention to detail towards the dish.  I don't know about you, but when I go to a restaurant, I don't always get treated that way.  I'm sure Severe gets treated that way almost anytime he walks into a restaurant, because all chefs know that restaurant reviews can make or break a restaurant.

He also has no problems hiding his identity from the owners and chefs at restaurants.  As Severe's review of Finicky Frank's, after the second visit, he said, "After my second visit to Finicky Franks, I sat outside with her for more than an hour, talking travel, cookbooks, Food Network programming and what inspires her. For every dish I asked about, she had a story from a cookbook or a restaurant she had visited."  So much for anonymity.  All good reviewers will get input from the owners/chefs by phone after their requisite two visits to a restaurant so that they can maintain their anonymity and impartiality.  When Severe is chatting it up with the owners/chefs, if he starts becoming buddies with them, it's harder to remain impartial to the review and offer unbiased opinions of the food.

As for the content of his reviews, I think he doesn't have the depth of the previous couple of food reviewers all the back to Jim Delmont.  (Side note--you can still find Jim Delmont reviewing restaurants on ShoutOmaha's website/magazine.  His reviews come closer to what a review should be like.)  I want more in-depth knowledge of his opinions of each dish.  His knowledge of the food he writes about pretty much comes from the listings on the menus.  After reading a review of a dish, I want to know every spice that is included in the dish, how much heat it brought to the dish and how the mouth-feel one experiences after eating the dish.  A great review leaves me so that after I read it, I know how that dish is going to taste even before I go to the restaurant and order it.  Severe will simply throw out an occasional spice or herb in his review (basil, paprika, red pepper) and call it good.  In his Finicky Frank's review, he talks about the "homemade alfredo sauce."  What ingredients do they use that make this homemade sauce unique?  I, and everyone else, want to know!

Unfortunately, all the comments that I've detailed above also (with the exception of chatting up the owners in person that Severe loves to do) pertain to the revolving cast of pseudo-reviewers that the World-Herald is passing off to us.
Looks like we are getting the best of both worlds.  A full time critic and continuing guest reviews.

I can tell you that Severe's review worked for me a Joe Consumer.  We got the right amount of information so that we are going to drive there and try it.  He may not have done the review by the book but it works for me.

Greg

Post by Guest »

OWH 10/28/11

Mike'L Severe

"My wife and I have been going out for date night for nearly six years. We have eaten at all kinds of restaurants in and around Omaha, but for some reason we have never eaten at an Indian restaurant."

A review of an Indian restaurant by a guy who hasn't bothered to eat at a single one in over 6 years. Awesome! So what does he compare it to?

"All four people in our party..."

Obviously he brought along a couple more people because he had no idea what he was doing.

"Each entree came with a choice of salad or the soup of the day. I chose the chicken noodle soup"

Way to go out on a limb!

"I asked our friends, who have much more experience with traditional Indian food"

Like I said.

"The sauce also is served with one of my new favorite foods — Naan."

If you have ever eaten Indian in your life you have had naan. So obviously...

BRUTAL!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That was a painful read.

Post by Guest »

I see what you are saying. I should have put my comments in a different color or something. I would go back and do it, but it looks like guests can not do that.

My apologies.