NuStyle project on 16th St?

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

NuStyle project on 16th St?

Post by DTO Luv »

I was out taking pictures today and noticed that the Securities Building on 16th and Farnam has a NuStyle Development sign on. Also the antique shop that had been in the building for nearly 11 years has closed in the past few days. Anyone know anything? 16th St needs all the help it can get.
DTO
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Southeast corner?
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Antiques and Fine Art regrettably closed last week for issues unrelated to any building plans.  The owner of the store is a fascinating man who ran arguably the greatest antique store in the middle of America.  It is a very sad loss.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: NuStyle project on 16th St?

Post by iamjacobm »

DTO Luv wrote:I was out taking pictures today and noticed that the Securities Building on 16th and Farnam has a NuStyle Development sign on. Also the antique shop that had been in the building for nearly 11 years has closed in the past few days. Anyone know anything? 16th St needs all the help it can get.
"The BackYard"
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Globochem wrote:Antiques and Fine Art regrettably closed last week for issues unrelated to any building plans.  The owner of the store is a fascinating man who ran arguably the greatest antique store in the middle of America.  It is a very sad loss.
Definitely sad. I loved that place (never could afford to buy anything, but I loved it). I wonder what he's doing with his vast inventory.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Globochem wrote:Antiques and Fine Art regrettably closed last week for issues unrelated to any building plans.  The owner of the store is a fascinating man who ran arguably the greatest antique store in the middle of America.  It is a very sad loss.
I always wanted to check that place out but it always looked closed. I talked with the guy who ran the place (they were still there cleaning out) and he said the inventory was bought by an auction house in KC and it was all moved there. He seemed like a cool guy; talked with us for awhile about the store, antiques, and future plans.

What is "The BackYard"?
DTO
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

DTO Luv wrote:What is "The BackYard"?
It is a joke.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Duh, :lol: I knew it sounded familiar but that's because I thought it may have been rumored before. Guess not.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

This is the sign I mentioned; above the doorway
DTO

Post by Guest »

NuStyle developed the building back in the 90s and owned it until it was sold to OHA around 2005. I'm not sure why their sign is still there but it has been there since I have lived in the Regis. Sad to see the antiques store close- he used to travel once a year to NY to buy antiques from my uncle in Albany. Hopefully something awesome happens with the space.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Anonymous wrote:NuStyle developed the building back in the 90s and owned it until it was sold to OHA around 2005. I'm not sure why their sign is still there but it has been there since I have lived in the Regis. Sad to see the antiques store close- he used to travel once a year to NY to buy antiques from my uncle in Albany. Hopefully something awesome happens with the space.
I agree.  I've always thought the architecture and storefront were interesting.  A throwback to storefronts that we just don't see anymore.  I hope whoever (eventually) redevelops it keeps that flavor.