11 Story Hyatt @ 12th and Jackson

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Ok, Marriot out, Hyatt in?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

How about 11 floors?
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

cdub wrote:How about 11 floors?
How about Awesome?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

11 floors? Awesome!  I thought the old marker would not allow that?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Its technically not in the market.  

Half of that is parking and not actually as many floors as it looks like but from the outside its being designed to look like 11 regular floors.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cdub wrote:Its technically not in the market.  

Half of that is parking and not actually as many floors as it looks like but from the outside its being designed to look like 11 regular floors.
I will still take it!  Better than 4 stories and bulldozing half a block of old market for parking...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I really hope this comes true.  I am so sick of seeing that hole in the ground!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OK - how realistic is this rumor?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Coyote wrote:OK - how realistic is this rumor?
I just checked into my room on the 28th floor of the Believe It When I See It Hotel.

Post by Guest »

almighty_tuna wrote:
I just checked into my room on the 28th floor of the Believe It When I See It Hotel.
Would you like help with your bags? Or a complimentary 17 dollar bottle of water from the cooler with the clear glass door and all the yummy treats in it?
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

hate this forum sometimes.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

cdub, if you don't mind me asking what connection do you have to the project?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Anonymous wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:
Would you like help with your bags? Or a complimentary 17 dollar bottle of water from the cooler with the clear glass door and all the yummy treats in it?
it's not free, it compliments the room.

Post by Guest »

Linkin5 wrote:
cdub, if you don't mind me asking what connection do you have to the project?
cdub is actually Mayor Suttle. He's an engineer.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

My father was a piano mover, so ...
Stable genius.

Post by Guest »

Is this going to be next to DTO's new Pacific Life tower?
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Anonymous wrote:
Is this going to be next to DTO's new Pacific Life tower?
You mean next to Finn's at 11th and Farnam?

Oh how awesome downtown would look if all of these rumors came to fruition....fingers crossed.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Something that size would look impressive over the OM!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

iamjacobm wrote:Something that size would look impressive over the OM!
Anthony Weiner isn't doing anything these days.
Stable genius.

Post by Guest »

cdub is usually very on the money with these things. I'd trust him more than some others. Although I do enjoy driving over the hill on WB West Dodge near 93rd and seeing DTO's 50 story Pacific Life headquarters on the horizon with its 5k employees buzzing away.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

S33 wrote:hate this forum sometimes.
Truth
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

To the point about the OM.  It seems that there are some concerns among the historic guys that it is not at all appropriate.  Should be some interesting debate.  It isnt in the market but it is in a little notch that wasnt included while some said it should have been.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

cdub wrote:To the point about the OM.  It seems that there are some concerns among the historic guys that it is not at all appropriate.  Should be some interesting debate.  It isnt in the market but it is in a little notch that wasnt included while some said it should have been.
So is it just a concern about height? I can't see how the old plans were any more appropriate than an 11 story building.
delinea design
Home Owners Association

Post by delinea design »

There's nothing wrong with Disney architectural reproductions as long as they stay in a theme park. I think the current trend of green glass and metal on nearly all new structures is unfortunate; another reason for architectural diversity (even within contemporary architecture). I think that it is also a good point that not all buildings need to "stand out" just to be different. There are certain plots/projects that warrant a grand design (I'd argue for a rebuilt downtown library or Joslyn extension gallery), but probably not going to happen with a corporate chain hotel in a mid-sized city.
-Chad
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

I think this is a great idea/project.

First, you can easily build a building that looks old, or at least fits the area.

Second, I hope they allow space for street level retail/food.

Third, any project like this that includes parking is a plus.

Fourth, it's good for the old market. Americans are fat and lazy and if
they can just walk across the street to eat, they will. So you get a couple
hundred people staying there on a Saturday night, they are already parked,
their walking.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I'll take a nice full service hotel anywhere we can get it, but in reality, this is needed up, next to the Qwest, in the Capitol District, not down here in the Old Market, several blocks away.  When booking a convention, planners first look at the # of full service rooms connected to / adjacent to the convention site.  If we're going to get this, I'd much rather they put it where it'd have the most impact.  The addition of this hotel down in the Market would only further complicate the effort to get a hotel for the Capitol site...
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Ben wrote:I'll take a nice full service hotel anywhere we can get it, but in reality, this is needed up, next to the Qwest, in the Capitol District, not down here in the Old Market, several blocks away.  When booking a convention, planners first look at the # of full service rooms connected to / adjacent to the convention site.  If we're going to get this, I'd much rather they put it where it'd have the most impact.  The addition of this hotel down in the Market would only further complicate the effort to get a hotel for the Capitol site...
This hotel would be a waste next to the Qwest.  The concept, yes, but the scale is too small for a 10th & Capitol location, IMO.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

I agree - I also think that enough people already consider the Old Market and Qwest Center areas to be contiguous enough for easy access.  Whenever I hear national media discussing the area surrounding anything downtown, they typically mention the Old Market.  Tourists would likely see an OM-based hotel as a positive thing.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

couple of things:

I was referring to the positive impact to the city (and draw of conventions) when I was saying that it would be better suited in the Capitol District.  This is where the big $ is.

"scale is too small for capitol district"  - umm, are we getting a little greedy here?  Omaha has never complained before about a 12 story building before....  That's significantly taller than everything in that area, and there are only a handful of buildings taller around downtown.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Ben wrote:"scale is too small for capitol district"  - umm, are we getting a little greedy here?  Omaha has never complained before about a 12 story building before....  That's significantly taller than everything in that area, and there are only a handful of buildings taller around downtown.
I wouldn't say "we", or more directly, *I* am being greedy in the least.  This isn't a sidebar with the height obsessed committee, it's a matter of looking ahead for future use.  Granted, the title of the thread is "11 Story Hyatt" and not "400 room hyatt", so there's no specific indication as to the capacity of the hotel.  My point is not "i wanna taller building at 10th/Capitol" #whine, but that 10th & Capitol is an important location and I personally don't want to see it get "hiltoned", so to speak.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

fewer than 200 rooms
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

cdub wrote:fewer than 200 rooms
Any time-line of announcement?

Post by Guest »

My guess is they are hedging based upon the design concerns with the market and others but hopefully they will firm things up very soon.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

I believe that I saw some surveying going on around the property today.  Could this be the start of site prep?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I believe the TIF amendment should go to CC this month.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I was down by there over the weekend and noticed a sigh saying a hotel was coming soon but it didn't look like in the rendering on that it was 11 stories and if I remember right it didn't say Hyatt, looked like Ramada, if the servey crews have been there they may be getting ready to do something so here is hopeing after that corner has been a hole for awhile now
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Turtle9160 wrote:I was down by there over the weekend and noticed a sigh saying a hotel was coming soon but it didn't look like in the rendering on that it was 11 stories and if I remember right it didn't say Hyatt, looked like Ramada, if the servey crews have been there they may be getting ready to do something so here is hopeing after that corner has been a hole for awhile now
That sign's been there for years. It just falls down and gets put back up periodically
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

cdub wrote:I believe the TIF amendment should go to CC this month.
I did not see it on tomorrow's agenda.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

justnick wrote:
Turtle9160 wrote:I was down by there over the weekend and noticed a sigh saying a hotel was coming soon but it didn't look like in the rendering on that it was 11 stories and if I remember right it didn't say Hyatt, looked like Ramada, if the servey crews have been there they may be getting ready to do something so here is hopeing after that corner has been a hole for awhile now
That sign's been there for years. It just falls down and gets put back up periodically
Speaking of signs... Somebody here should "acquire" the Wall St. Tower sign hanging on the fence on the old UP site... assuming it is still there. That would be a nice conversation piece to have.  :)