Chick Fil-A (Village Point)

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

redsalert
New to the Neighborhood

Post by redsalert »

I was at the Chick Fil-A in St. Jo recently and the manager said they have a location for Village Pointe in the works.  I hope that's true.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I don't get it... I've eaten at Chick Fil-A a couple of times... just doesn't do anything for my chicken sandwich appetite.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Yeah.  Put me in the "I don't get it" camp, as well.
Stable genius.

Post by Guest »

While I refuse to sit and listen to the christian music they now play inside, I do hit the drive thru every other week or so. Number 1 add cheese and mayo. Its easily the best fast food chicken sandwich IMO.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Stargazer wrote:I don't get it... I've eaten at Chick Fil-A a couple of times... just doesn't do anything for my chicken sandwich appetite.

So is this the CheeseCake factory of Fast food?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

My biggest thing is that it is a full chicken breast.  Not processed and smashed into little chicken bits and pressed back into a patty.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Have you been to Chick Fil-A?  IMO much better than I've ever got at any bar and grille.  I stop at Sioux City's every time I drive up there.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Big E wrote:Yeah.  Put me in the "I don't get it" camp, as well.
Same here. Don't get me wrong, Chick-Fil-A is good food, but not to the level that I'd be cheering if they came to my market.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Bosco55David wrote:
Big E wrote:Yeah.  Put me in the "I don't get it" camp, as well.
Same here. Don't get me wrong, Chick-Fil-A is good food, but not to the level that I'd be cheering if they came to my market.
Yes, I've been there. Yes, it can be enjoyable for fast food, but nothing to get all aroused about.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Had lunch at a Chick Fil-A in Virginia about 20 years ago. Didn't think it was anything special, and I don't think Jesus would either.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I ate at one in Tampa last summer and didn't think it was really anything special but I know some guys in their 20s who are fanatics about how good it is.... maybe I need younger taste buds.  :lol:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm not a big get excited about a chain coming into Omaha guy either unless it's filling a void of something we don't have.  Example, I'd go crazy to have any of the big KC BBQ restaurants come to Omaha because I don't think any of ours come close to theirs.  Not sure they are chains but maybe just from out of town.

Greg

Post by Guest »

lnkS wrote:Also, I don't think the food is really that great.  Give me Raising Cane's any day over Chick Fil-A.  I know that the two restaurants aren't necessarily the same but they are similar enough for me to compare and choose between them.
My wife & I ate at Cane's Chicken, in Lincoln, last week.  I'd have to agree!
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Greg S wrote:Example, I'd go crazy to have any of the big KC BBQ restaurants come to Omaha because I don't think any of ours come close to theirs.  Not sure they are chains but maybe just from out of town.
It's my impression that the KC BBQ places (Gates, Bryants, Jack Stack) concentrate on doing what they do best, and that is preparing BBQ, as opposed to merchandizing and promotion. When a local place expands to a chain, they tend to become highly formulaic.

Besides, if Bryants were here, there would be less of an excuse for a road trip to KC! :)
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

I'm in the I Don't get it club along with the boyfriend.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

We should start a 'stop Chick Fil-A from coming to Omaha' facebook group. :P
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

You're going straight to he/ll.

Post by Guest »

My biggest problem with Chik-fil-A is that I've heard they are closed on Sundays. I personally will not support any business that snubs church-goers. This is the same reason I will never set foot in a Hobby-Lobby. We need God back in America again!

Post by Guest »

Will someone please open a franchise on each corner------just to shut these people up?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Anonymous wrote:My biggest problem with Chik-fil-A is that I've heard they are closed on Sundays. I personally will not support any business that snubs church-goers. This is the same reason I will never set foot in a Hobby-Lobby. We need God back in America again!
Those two companies are closed on Sunday because their owners are very christian.  You aren't very bright.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I believe he was joking.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I guess I am the one that isn't too bright.

Post by Guest »

Chick-Fil-A is God.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I heard Chic-Fil-A is one of the major employers that will be bringing thousands of jobs to the Omaha area in the new mystery development.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

If this goes through, I'm going to chain myself to their bike rack in protest.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

There were Chick-fil-a reps in town yesterday who said expect another 3-5 locations in the metro in the next couple years.  Village Point as well as Bellevue.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I havent heard any locations but it stands to reason now that they are coming that they would have more than one stand alone.  Once you send your trucks up here you may as well have a few stores to deliver to and really take advantage of the market that apparently is starving for chicken.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I remember reading in the paper a few years back that they investigate potential franchisees' personal lives---they evidently favor married people who aren't gay, although they claim the company isn't anti-gay.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

ricko wrote:I remember reading in the paper a few years back that they investigate potential franchisees' personal lives---they evidently favor married people who aren't gay, although they claim the company isn't anti-gay.

Well, Christianity has never been synonymous with tolerance, especially in the deep south.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

ricko wrote:I remember reading in the paper a few years back that they investigate potential franchisees' personal lives---they evidently favor married people who aren't gay, although they claim the company isn't anti-gay.

How to Get Approved to Open a Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A is a privately-held, family-owned fast food restaurant company that started in 1946 and specializes in chicken sandwiches. As of 2010 the company has more than 1,500 Chick-fil-A restaurants in the United States, with annual sales of more than $3.5 billion. Chick-fil-A requires an initial financial commitment of $5,000 from franchisees, who are chosen based on how they fit with the moral, ethical and religious beliefs of the company's owners. Getting approval to open a Chick-fil-A depends largely on how well you conform to the ethos of the company.

Step 1
Apply to operate a Chick-fil-A franchise. The first step is to submit an online expression-of-interest form. After approximately three weeks, if Chick-fil-A feels that you meet the initial criteria, you will be invited to complete an operator application form. Chick-fil-A will evaluate your financial status and experience and invite qualified candidates for an initial interview.

Step 2
Play an active role in your community. Chick-fil-A prefers that its franchise operators be people who are actively involved in community, religious and professional organizations.

Step 3
Plan to work full time in your restaurant. Chick-fil-A expects franchise operators to devote 100 percent of their working time to their restaurant. Operators should not have any other active business ventures. Chick-fil-A states on its website that operators should be looking for a hands-on business, not merely an investment opportunity.

Step 4
Play an active role in your church. Chick-fil-A's owners are devout Christians and expect all of their operators to share Christian values. Operators do not need to be Christian, but must be willing to close the restaurant on Sundays, espouse Christian values and be willing to participate in group prayers during training and management meetings.

Step 5
Be willing to undergo a very long vetting process. Some potential operators must undergo dozens of interviews over the course of a year or more before gaining approval. Chick-fil-A will also interview members of a potential operator's family.

Step 6
Disclose your marital status. Chick-fil-A founder and chairman S. Truett Cathy prefers franchise operators who are married and requires all candidates to be open about the state of their relationship. One-third of all Chick-fil-A operators have attended Christian relationship-building retreats at the urging of the company. Cathy notes that he would probably terminate the contract of an operator who had done something sinful or harmful to his family.

Also another article on Forbes:  http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0723/080.html
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

So you can be a Jewish owner, but you have to "espouse [their] Christian values and be willing to participate in group prayers during training and management meetings"?  Sounds like a fun company.  I thought inquiries about your marital status were illegal during the interview process.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ricko wrote:So you can be a Jewish owner, but you have to "espouse [their] Christian values and be willing to participate in group prayers during training and management meetings"?  Sounds like a fun company.  
http://jewsforjesus.org
ricko wrote:I thought inquiries about your marital status were illegal during the interview process.
Probably some sort of loophole since you are buying a company not applying for a job.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Jews For Jesus (and most other so-called Messianic Jewish organizations) are most definitely not recognized as being "Jewish" by any of the three major branches of Judaism. The purpose of most of these, whether overtly stated or not, is the conversion of Jews to Christianity. Some consider these groups to be antisemitic.

Hmmmm ... would a Chick-Fil-A owned by such a practitioner be open Sunday and closed Friday evening and Saturday?

Post by Guest »

How to Get Approved to Open a Chick-fil-A

Chick-fil-A is a privately-held, family-owned fast food restaurant company that started in 1946 and specializes in chicken sandwiches. As of 2010 the company has more than 1,500 Chick-fil-A restaurants in the United States, with annual sales of more than $3.5 billion. Chick-fil-A requires an initial financial commitment of $5,000 from franchisees, who are chosen based on how they fit with the moral, ethical and religious beliefs of the company's owners. Getting approval to open a Chick-fil-A depends largely on how well you conform to the ethos of the company.

Step 1
Apply to operate a Chick-fil-A franchise. The first step is to submit an online expression-of-interest form. After approximately three weeks, if Chick-fil-A feels that you meet the initial criteria, you will be invited to complete an operator application form. Chick-fil-A will evaluate your financial status and experience and invite qualified candidates for an initial interview.

Step 2
Play an active role in your community. Chick-fil-A prefers that its franchise operators be people who are actively involved in community, religious and professional organizations.

Step 3
Plan to work full time in your restaurant. Chick-fil-A expects franchise operators to devote 100 percent of their working time to their restaurant. Operators should not have any other active business ventures. Chick-fil-A states on its website that operators should be looking for a hands-on business, not merely an investment opportunity.

Step 4
Play an active role in your church. Chick-fil-A's owners are devout Christians and expect all of their operators to share Christian values. Operators do not need to be Christian, but must be willing to close the restaurant on Sundays, espouse Christian values and be willing to participate in group prayers during training and management meetings.

Step 5
Be willing to undergo a very long vetting process. Some potential operators must undergo dozens of interviews over the course of a year or more before gaining approval. Chick-fil-A will also interview members of a potential operator's family.

Step 6
Disclose your marital status. Chick-fil-A founder and chairman S. Truett Cathy prefers franchise operators who are married and requires all candidates to be open about the state of their relationship. One-third of all Chick-fil-A operators have attended Christian relationship-building retreats at the urging of the company. Cathy notes that he would probably terminate the contract of an operator who had done something sinful or harmful to his family.

Alright, I defended them in the beginning, I guess not knowing the extent of their extremism. If that all is true, then they can f-off, as far as I'm concerned.

I hope someone opens a similar franchise called "The Devil's Chicken", and sets up shop near each and every chick-fil-a.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Or you can save your time and money and just eat at any of the great local places that have good chicken Sandwiches.  I have never been to Chick-fil-a, but if I did, I would drive right past Barrets and the Crescent Moon to get there.  Both Barrets and the Moon have great chicken so why go to Chick-fil-a?

Post by Guest »

Brad wrote:Or you can save your time and money and just eat at any of the great local places that have good chicken Sandwiches.  I have never been to Chick-fil-a, but if I did, I would drive right past Barrets and the Crescent Moon to get there.  Both Barrets and the Moon have great chicken so why go to Chick-fil-a?
Apples and Oranges IMO. Yeah you can go find better food at sit down places. But if you are doing fast food and want a chicken sandwich, there's none better IMO. Chick Fil A's sandwich blows BK, McDs, etc chicken sandwich outta the water. McD's tried with their "southern style" chicken sandwich, and it's not even in the same realm. But food is very subjective and there's likely those who prefer something else.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I find it a little amusing that a company that puts such a focus on the lifestyle and morality of their workforce is in business selling cheap, unhealthy, fried, processed food.  I suppose selling healthy natural food is good enough left to the pagan hippies, eh?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Anonymous wrote:
Brad wrote:Or you can save your time and money and just eat at any of the great local places that have good chicken Sandwiches.  I have never been to Chick-fil-a, but if I did, I would drive right past Barrets and the Crescent Moon to get there.  Both Barrets and the Moon have great chicken so why go to Chick-fil-a?
Apples and Oranges IMO. Yeah you can go find better food at sit down places. But if you are doing fast food and want a chicken sandwich, there's none better IMO. Chick Fil A's sandwich blows BK, McDs, etc chicken sandwich outta the water. McD's tried with their "southern style" chicken sandwich, and it's not even in the same realm. But food is very subjective and there's likely those who prefer something else.
Way to set the bar.

"Chik-Fil-A: Better Than Dog Sh!t."
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

:lol:

That was me, I forgot to log on. Seriously though, are we supposed to compare Chick Fil A to the Boiler Room? We are talking about a fast food chain. BK, Wendys, McD's, etc ARE its competition are they not? I don't see the logic in comparing it to sit down, high end restaurants. Sure in the big picture of food, Chick Fil A is |expletive|. I'm simply saying that in the fast food market, Chick Fil A has the best chicken sandwich by a long shot, IMO. Just my 2 cents.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

the1wags wrote::lol:

That was me, I forgot to log on. Seriously though, are we supposed to compare Chick Fil A to the Boiler Room? We are talking about a fast food chain. BK, Wendys, McD's, etc ARE its competition are they not? I don't see the logic in comparing it to sit down, high end restaurants. Sure in the big picture of food, Chick Fil A is |expletive|. I'm simply saying that in the fast food market, Chick Fil A has the best chicken sandwich by a long shot, IMO. Just my 2 cents.

Yes.  At least its real chicken, and while still fried fast food, maybe the fact that it actually is food is what excites people about Chick-fil-a as opposed to what these villains are pedaling...