DTO Walmart

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I was watching something on CNBC or some other channel about Wally World a few months ago. The reporters were following some of Wal-Mart's real estate team around for part of it and their identities were obscured.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Post by Guest »

nativeomahan wrote:I can't believe that anyone connected with Walmart or any other major corporation would be singing to a hotel clerk, unless they had first got tanked in the hotel at Happy Hour.  This is usually all hush hush, and they go to great lengths to fly under the radar screen.  So this just baffles me.

That said, Wally World has pretty much filled out the rest of the metro area with their stores.  Downtown or the area close by is starved for grocery and retail options at popular prices.
The guys from Walmart Realty were all very nice when they checked in.   The only reason I knew what company they were with is because Walmart Realty was the company listed on their reservation.   They didn't come in wearing Walmart Realty shirts or name tags.   I'm sure they probably flew into town, so most likely they were driving a rental car, not a car with a Walmart Realty logo on it.   They didn't walk up to the desk and just say "Hey, we are from Walmart and we are looking at building a store downtown."   They only told me about what they were doing in town after I made some polite conversation with them.   Like I said, the guys were all very nice, and pretty talkative.  They probably would have told me more, but like I said before, I had other guests waiting to check in, so I had to keep the conversation to a minimum.  I'm not a realtor.   I don't have land for sale.    I'm just a "hotel clerk" and they probably didn't feel like there was any threat in telling me about what they were in town for.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Anonymous wrote:I'm just a "hotel clerk" and they probably didn't feel like there was any threat in telling me about what they were in town for.
Back when I worked the desk (I've worked in a few local hotels here off and on over the years) the policy was very clear that everything we did regarding guests was highly confidential. They even had a floral placard "Mum's The Word" in the break area. I'm sure that anyone currently on a desk has received the same lectures and training.

I don't doubt that what's being reported is true. I'm kinda surprised that it was said so openly and nonchalantly.

When I'm traveling on business I certainly expect that the fact that we are there will not be revealed by the hotel staff to the public, competitors, etc. Far be it from me to defend Wally World, but I'm sure they expected the same level of discretion.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Look kid, you've had your thrill, but you are the same person who has posted about European Village, Pioneer Village moving to Omaha, A Marching Band contest, A portable Ferris Wheel and how many other rumors? If you can't back up any of your rumors except by posting as a second user to confirm your own rumor, then please cease and desist or we will have to delete all your posts an ban you from this site.
Linkin5.

Post by Linkin5. »

Coyote wrote:Look kid, you've had your thrill, but you are the same person who has posted about European Village, Pioneer Village moving to Omaha, A Marching Band contest, A portable Ferris Wheel and how many other rumors? If you can't back up any of your rumors except by posting as a second user to confirm your own rumor, then please cease and desist or we will have to delete all your posts an ban you from this site.
Is it the same person who has posted as a guest in this thread?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yes, the person who claims to work at the front desk in a downtown hotel and met the Walmart realtors, had made up all of these rumors.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Coyote wrote:Yes, the person who claims to work at the front desk in a downtown hotel and met the Walmart realtors, had made up all of these rumors.
Shocking!  I'm just shocked.  Surely Coyote has made a mistake.  Yeah, that's it.  Coyote has made a mistake.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I'm shocked too! Who would have thought this "guest" would be full of sh!t?!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Coyote wrote:Look kid, you've had your thrill, but you are the same person who has posted about European Village, Pioneer Village moving to Omaha, A Marching Band contest, A portable Ferris Wheel and how many other rumors? If you can't back up any of your rumors except by posting as a second user to confirm your own rumor, then please cease and desist or we will have to delete all your posts an ban you from this site.
Talk about

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

do it anyway
Go Cubs Go
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

OMA-->CHI-->NYC
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I got better...