Mall Of The Bluffs Rumor

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Mall Of The Bluffs Rumor

Post by Turtle9160 »

I have heard the last couple of weeks a rumor that given all the stores that are leaving the Mall Of The Bluffs that a developer is looking at building a new drive in movie theater like the one that use to be over across form Lake Manawa, so far the only stuff I have seen hinting at it has been in a couple of small town papers in Mills county.  Would be a interesting development if it happened
OMArealtor68

Post by OMArealtor68 »

Not sure about this kind of a thing going in the parking lot at Mall of the Bluffs.   I know I read somewhere recently that there is a guy trying to open up a new drive-in theater by Sioux Falls too.   If this is true and they do manage to open this up, that will pretty much kill the chance of Mall of the Bluffs attracting any stores in the future.   In order for this mall to survive, I know they are going to have to try to reinvent itself, but I'm not sure this is taking it the right direction.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

I am not sure if they were waiting for the mall to just go under like Southroads did or if they were planning on building in the parking lot, if they did put it in the lot I could see it killing any hope of getting new anchors and tenants in there with a chunk of there parking lot turned into a drive in
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Would a drive-in theater, being seasonal and very weather-dependent, be a good investment in these times?
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Omababe wrote:Would a drive-in theater, being seasonal and very weather-dependent, be a good investment in these times?
Probably not. I doubt we'll be seeing that many new theaters, period.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Considering the one that was in Lake Manawa over were Google is now was seasonal I would assume that this one, if built would be too.  And I would agree in the economy now its not a good idea to build something that isn't going to be open for business year round
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Does anybody remember year-round drive-in theaters where they had heaters on the speaker poles?

Post by Guest »

I was down to the mall last week to see who was left inside the mall. I seen some work on the old Target part on the outside. It looked like it was some roof work, but I am not sure.

Then after seeing that, I asked around what's going on with the mall in a few places in the mall and even outside of the mall area.  There was talk about a college or university taking the whole mall.  They are not sure if it is going to be Kaplan University or some other one.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Its really sad how bad its gotten in there.  Its clearly got a lot more traffic than xroads but also looks to be headed almost the same direction.  I'm not a fan of malls particularly but taking all the same |expletive| and spreading it all over Manawa isn't much of an improvement in my eyes.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Remember how bad Simon was getting blasted on Crossroads but General Growth was being praised?  Just shows how these things can happen to all.

Greg
Zilla
Library Board

Post by Zilla »

I'm not sure how well a drive inn theater would work there.  They have to be a decent distance from city lights or other major nighttime light sources.  I haven't been down that way in awhile.  Are there many other stores, strip malls, etc. around Mall of the Bluffs?  The more additional lighting sources and the closer they are to the theater the more it degrades the picture.
Equal Opportunity Hater.

Proudly oppressing the rest of Omaha with my suburbia lifestyle since 1999.