hhgregg and Academy Sports looking in Omaha

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OMArealtor68

hhgregg and Academy Sports looking in Omaha

Post by OMArealtor68 »

I got together with a few of my friends in the real estate business last night and was told that both  hhgregg and Academy Sports has been looking at several different locations around town.     I've been to an hhgregg store before.   The store was nice and they had good prices.    I've actually never heard of Academy Sports.
OMArealtor68

Post by OMArealtor68 »

From hhgregg's web site:

hhgregg is the fastest growing national retailer of brand-name appliances and electronics with the largest selection of everything from high-definition televisions and major appliances to computers, home audio solutions, cameras, mattresses and more.

From Academy Sports website:

Welcome to Academy Sports + Outdoors where you'll find athletic equipment; athletic and casual footwear and apparel; fishing, hunting, camping, outdoor cooking and marine equipment. Academy Sports + Outdoors is one of the nation's largest sporting goods retailers. Our formula of low prices and a large selection has allowed the company to become a leader in the sporting goods industry.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I've been to Academy Sports in Oklahoma.  I was not impressed.  Don't see why I'd go there over Scheel's or even Dick's or Sports Authority.

Greg
OMArealtor68

Post by OMArealtor68 »

hhgregg is looking at opening three stores in Omaha and one in Council Bluffs.

Academy sports is looking at opening two stores in Omaha.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Oddly enough hhgregg is opening two of their 3 stores in the 300 acre development....
OMArealtor68

Post by OMArealtor68 »

Academy Sports and hhgregg will NOT be openings stores in the new development you are referring to.    According to my sources, both chains expect to have their stores open late summer/early fall 2012.   hhgregg is looking at existing retail space, while Academy Sports is looking at both existing retail space as well as locations where they could build.  It's not uncommon for retailers to open multiple stores in a new market at the same time.   It cuts down on the cost of advertising and transportation costs to keep stores stocked with merchandise.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

OMArealtor68 wrote:Academy Sports and hhgregg will NOT be openings stores in the new development you are referring to.    According to my sources, both chains expect to have their stores open late summer/early fall 2012.   hhgregg is looking at existing retail space, while Academy Sports is looking at both existing retail space as well as locations where they could build.  It's not uncommon for retailers to open multiple stores in a new market at the same time.   It cuts down on the cost of advertising and transportation costs to keep stores stocked with merchandise.
The fact is that it is extremely uncommon for retailers to open multiple stores in a new market at the same time.  It doesn't happen.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
OMArealtor68 wrote:Academy Sports and hhgregg will NOT be openings stores in the new development you are referring to.    According to my sources, both chains expect to have their stores open late summer/early fall 2012.   hhgregg is looking at existing retail space, while Academy Sports is looking at both existing retail space as well as locations where they could build.  It's not uncommon for retailers to open multiple stores in a new market at the same time.   It cuts down on the cost of advertising and transportation costs to keep stores stocked with merchandise.
The fact is that it is extremely uncommon for retailers to open multiple stores in a new market at the same time.  It doesn't happen.
Lets give him the benefit of the doubt here Novak.  He did anonymously post as a guest with the word "realtor" in his handle.
OMAninja68

Post by OMAninja68 »

I really hope this is true. hhgregg usually caries some pretty high-end composite throwing stars, and I need a new robe, too.
OMArealtor68

Post by OMArealtor68 »

Ever heard of H&M?  They typically open multiple stores in new markets.   Kohl's, Home Depot, and Lowe's have opened multiple stores in new markets.   How about CVS and Walgreens?   I could go on and on.   Several restaurant chains do the same thing.
Greg S
City Council

Re: hhgregg and Academy Sports looking in Omaha

Post by Greg S »

On the Grow Omaha mintue this morning on KFAB, they rattled off several new retailers coming to Omaha this year. One was Academy Spots. Anybody know where they might be going?

Greg
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Re: hhgregg and Academy Sports looking in Omaha

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I heard their name floated for Boystown west farm