Outlet Mall of the Bluffs?

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Outlet Mall of the Bluffs?

Post by Brad »

[rumor]Last weekend on Grow Omaha, Jeff and Trenton hinted that may be Council Bluffs was trying to get the Outlet Mall that is/was going to build at Southport to instead build at the Mall of the Bluffs.[/rumor]
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Can we get an actual html command for [rumors] which puts a giant puff of smoke coming out of the horses |expletive| with the rumor inside the cloud of smoke?  :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote:Can we get an actual html command for [rumors] which puts a giant puff of smoke coming out of the horses |expletive| with the rumor inside the cloud of smoke?  :)
That would be cool!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Whatever happened to the thread for that Bluffs outlet mall development?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Whatever happened to the thread for that Bluffs outlet mall development?
The only Outlet I remember was down by the truck stop and Mid America Center.
OMArealtor68

Post by OMArealtor68 »

I'm not sure that turning the Mall of the Bluffs into an outlet mall would be a good idea.   Unless the mall was totally gutted, it's not going to attract tenants or shoppers.   Not to mention, it would be very hard to get people from the Nebraska side of the river to drive that far into Council Bluffs to shop.   I think Mall of the Bluffs will continue to go downhill , but I don't think they need to haul out the wrecking ball just yet.   There are lots of cool ways in which the mall could be re-purposed, but turning it into an outlet mall isn't one of them.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

OMArealtor68 wrote:I'm not sure that turning the Mall of the Bluffs into an outlet mall would be a good idea.   Unless the mall was totally gutted, it's not going to attract tenants or shoppers.   Not to mention, it would be very hard to get people from the Nebraska side of the river to drive that far into Council Bluffs to shop.   I think Mall of the Bluffs will continue to go downhill , but I don't think they need to haul out the wrecking ball just yet.   There are lots of cool ways in which the mall could be re-purposed, but turning it into an outlet mall isn't one of them.
Actually, the MOTB has already shown they can attract a sizable number of people from Nebraska to "drive that far into Council Bluffs to shop" (when there was anything there worth shopping for).  However, MOTB is in a death-spiral, IMO, and there won't be anything left 12 months from now in the way of retail, save for perhaps a local retailer.

Anyway, turning MOTB into an outlet mall is going to be tough, since there are 4 properties involved (General Growth, Dillards, Dayton Hudson, and JCP).
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan

Post by Guest »

If anything... I would think we'd be talking about the Mid America Center/truck stops location (did we ever move that to the dead projects section? or is it still under the CB section somewhere?).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Anonymous wrote:If anything... I would think we'd be talking about the Mid America Center/truck stops location (did we ever move that to the dead projects section? or is it still under the CB section somewhere?).
Just moved it to Projects never built.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

OMArealtor68 wrote:I'm not sure that turning the Mall of the Bluffs into an outlet mall would be a good idea.   Unless the mall was totally gutted, it's not going to attract tenants or shoppers.   Not to mention, it would be very hard to get people from the Nebraska side of the river to drive that far into Council Bluffs to shop.   I think Mall of the Bluffs will continue to go downhill , but I don't think they need to haul out the wrecking ball just yet.   There are lots of cool ways in which the mall could be re-purposed, but turning it into an outlet mall isn't one of them.
Actually that new Metro Crossing or whatever it is called does EXTREMELY well.  Most of its customers are people in Omaha who don't feel like driving out to Oakview/Westroads.
Truck Driving Jim

Post by Truck Driving Jim »

At this point you would think General Growth would be eager to produce any revenue.  I used to work that food court in '89 and truly, the day they closed the theaters was the day that mall died.