Huge Crossroads Announcement

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

really? well the Downtown master plan called for the W. Dale Clark branch to be moved elsewhere downtown so that the land it currently occupies could be developed.  Seems odd that the OPL wouldn't be on board with that...
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
OmahaChef wrote:An article in the OWH a few months ago, also stated that the Library system would love to relocate their downtown branch to Crossroads.
Just to be clear about the library issue, OPL is looking at Crossroads as an opportunity for a significant, new, centrally located branch. They are not "relocating" the downtown branch. They're looking into diverse options for a downtown library, and that location will continue to be the "main" branch of the library. This is straight from the director's mouth.
Just to be clear, the director is an idiot, then.  The main library should NOT be a tool to support one area of the city over another.   It should be centrally located to serve all taxpayers equally.  Sadly, we have seen from the local level all the way to the top people who arrogantly think their government job is about their power and ability to mold society in THEIR view and not about serving the public that pays their salaries.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

There are a multitude of library branches spread across the incorporated part of the city, many newer and nicer than the current main library.  The main library belongs in the cultural center of the city along with other core government services.  It's part of what defines an established city.

If government had no role in molding society, we wouldn't have zoning laws.  Heck, we wouldn't have neighborhood covenants that are are ubiquitous in suburban development and social conservatives wouldn't be trying to tell private citizens what to do in their bedrooms.  I guess I'll take the good with the bad, though.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Adam, where are you gleaning that OPL is not on board with what the DT master plan has proposed?

Joe, where are you gleaning that because the DT location will remain the "main" branch, and a cultural icon for the city (as it should be), other areas of the city will be less or under-served? Isn't that the whole point of a new, state of the art "central" branch at Crossroads? I just don't understand where your hostility is coming from and it seems to be based on misinformation.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

well your post earlier seemed to indicate that the OPL wouldn't be moving the main branch from its current location. but the downtown master plan has them building another branch elsewhere in the downtown area and removing W. Dale Clark for future development.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Main branch to relocate downtown - but a long shot, an expensive long shot.  Will take some major private dollars or PPP.

90th and Dodge may close to open something at crossroads.  It would be central, but not main.  You can't try to keep up with the growth and change of teh City by relocating the MAIN branch according to what seems CENTRAL.  I agree with whoever said it belongs downtown.  In a lot of cities that is relatively central.  Another challenge of growing exclusively west cause Omahas a river town.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Adam, sorry for the confusion. I went back and re-read my post and realize I should have clarified that OPL is not "relocating" the main branch from downtown to Crossroads, and that they are considering diverse options for other locations downtown.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

so. anything about this supposed huge announcement that we were supposed to hear about a month ago?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

justnick wrote:so. anything about this supposed huge announcement that we were supposed to hear about a month ago?

How did you miss it.   :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

From the Kansas City Business Journal.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Macy’s to close Topeka store

Macy’s said Wednesday it will close five stores in early spring, including one in Topeka, as part of a review to prune underperforming locations.

The 193,000-square-foot store in Topeka’s West Ridge Mall opened in 1988 and has about 60 employees. Macy’s also plans to close stores in Laurel, Md.; Parma, Ohio; Antioch, Tenn.; and Texas City, Texas.

The company said employees may be offered positions in nearby stores where possible.

The department store chain said it will open five new stores in 2012 and 2013 in Victorville, Calif.; Gumee, Ill.; the Bronx, N.Y.; Salt Lake City, Utah; and Greendale, Wis.

Macy’s also announced it will close four of its Bloomingdale’s stores in Atlanta, Oak Brook, Ill., Bethesda, Md., and Bloomington, Minn.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/04/33 ... rylink=cpy

City Council

Post by Big E »

The Bloomington, MN, is the one at Mall of America.

That's big news.
Stable genius.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

That is big news.  It's been there since the mall opened.  At least we know there will not be an Omaha store until 2014 at the earliest, if there is one even in the planning stages at all.

Greg

Post by Guest »

Greg S wrote:That is big news.  It's been there since the mall opened.  At least we know there will not be an Omaha store until 2014 at the earliest, if there is one even in the planning stages at all.

Greg
This board seems to mention Macy's a lot but, seriously, it's just a department store that sells stuff every other store sells, including junk like Sharper Image.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

Anonymous wrote:
Greg S wrote:That is big news.  It's been there since the mall opened.  At least we know there will not be an Omaha store until 2014 at the earliest, if there is one even in the planning stages at all.

Greg
This board seems to mention Macy's a lot but, seriously, it's just a department store that sells stuff every other store sells, including junk like Sharper Image.
Sorry, this was me.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

derog wrote:This board seems to mention Macy's a lot but, seriously, it's just a department store that sells stuff every other store sells, including junk like Sharper Image.
And its all available from your home or office at http://www.macys.com
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'm talking about the Bloomingdale's at the MoA.  I couldn't care less about Macy's.

Shopping anywhere other than Oak Street in Chicago is pretty ghetto, anyway.
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm sure even Mall of America will be just another dead American mall someday, too.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I'm sure even Mall of America will be just another dead American mall someday, too.
I'd say it's more likely the future home of the Los Angeles Jaguars after the San Antonio Vikings leave town.
Stable genius.

Post by Guest »

Odd... there are several Macy's in the Minneapolis metro... hard to imagine they'd abandon MoA... or even that it would represent a lower performing store than others around town.  Maybe Aaron is right... and there's a chink it MoA's armor.  It really is nothing than what you can find at every other vanilla mall in America, just EVERY teenage girls shop there is in one location.  You have to shop elsewhere around Minneapolis to find the 'good stuff'.