Old UP headquarters razed for park space?

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Here's what the UP building in St. Louis looked like. It's much better than the old Omaha one.

DTO
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

omahahawk wrote:Anybody know whats up with the Farm Credit building at 19th and Douglas? Its empty too now isn't it? Is it getting ready for the wrecking ball? Is the Subway restaurant in the bottom still open?
Wrecking ball? Geez I hope not. The Farm Credit building is one of my favorites and I like that whole section of 19th and the way it has that bend in it.

So now that I have fessed up about how much I like this building, I suppose the rest of you will tell me you think its worse than poopy brown, vomit yellow Eppley? You all want to tear it down, right? :roll:
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I'm with ya guy! Great building and great urban stretch on 19th. I'm still upset they knocked down some great buildings to put up that garage for the civic center.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

No way the Farm Credit Building would be knocked down. It would go condo before then... there is way too much demostrated demand for these buildings.

futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

A UP company still occupies the Farm Credit building, so I wouldn't expect any big changes (wrecking ball).
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

jhuston wrote:No way the Farm Credit Building would be knocked down. It would go condo before then... there is way too much demostrated demand for these buildings.

Well that is a load off of my mind. Since I am usually in the minority opinion when it comes to good taste and fashion, etc., I thought that the very fact that this was one of my most favorite buildings in all of downtown.... there might very well be popular sentiment to tear it down.

As far as the garage, yep, I sure miss the old Empire State Building. It was a little different than New York City's version but it really added to the block.

Has anyone seen my leisure suit? I need to impress someone at a meeting tomorrow! :wink:
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

futrecndvlpr wrote:A UP company still occupies the Farm Credit building, so I wouldn't expect any big changes (wrecking ball).
I thought the whole point of the new UP building was to consolidate all of the workers? A friend of mine works for UP and he is in the Woodmen and another guy I know (futurecndvelpr, do you know a Jason from Auburn) said that the building isn't even big enough to hold all of the employees. Why build something to small.
DTO
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

That's the $64,000 question. I'm not going to go on about the 19 story box. It all been said.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Their growth outpaced their projection. It's a good thing. Also, they ended up bringing in more jobs from St. Louis than originally anticipated. They are filling up some of that office vacancy that really spiked the last couple of years.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I do hope the Farm Credit Building will turn into condos or apartments someday.
movedaway
New to the Neighborhood

Post by movedaway »

FatGuy wrote:If U.P. does implode, I hope a strong westerly wind blows the thing right on top of the World-Herald's old two story building, unoccupied of course. What a waste of space that building is. I wonder how important that little building is to the total operations of our newspaper. Anybody know?
Yes, it houses the newsroom and most of the executive offices still. The new building is the press plant. There is a lot of meetings held over there, but I think most of the OWH honchos are still in the old building or in the Landmark Center.

Dig on the OWH building all you want, but that westernly facade is a great art deco touch as well. And before the new building opened, I don't think any other Omaha building got as much out of its space.

And the talk the last few years was that the OWH was going to rip off the loading dock and comepletely redo the Capitol side as the new "grand" entrance to the building.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I finally realized what the older side of the old UP building looks like. It looks like that building in Dallas that guy shot Kennedy from.
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

the Book Depository? I've never thought that before. I'll have to look again.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

guy4omaha wrote:I sure miss the old Empire State Building. It was a little different than New York City's version but it really added to the block.
Hello!!!! The Empire State Building is still there!!! Come on, Guy ;) .

I love that building. It's the shorter one in this photo.

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I remember when I showed Gary around I said,"There's the Empire State Building." He asked if their was a replica inside. :) Didn't that used to be the DT Library?
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

No! What's with you guys not knowing about Omaha architecture and buildings?!!!! WOW!

Sorry, I'm being too hard on you. The Old Omaha Public Library is on the EAST side of 19th Street on Harney.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
guy4omaha wrote:I sure miss the old Empire State Building. It was a little different than New York City's version but it really added to the block.
Hello!!!! The Empire State Building is still there!!! Come on, Guy ;) .

I love that building. It's the shorter one in this photo.

Why am I not seeing the ESB?? I always thought the back side of FNC suggests the ESB.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I believe it's the building with the four awnings.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »