North Downtown Development in the works

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

North Downtown Development in the works

Post by Guest »

According to my friend in the commercial real estate business, there is a new development in the early planning stages for an area in the northern portion of downtown.   The development, which will cover an area the size of four square blocks, will consist of a pedestrian friendly retail district, a mixture of condos and apartments, as well as a hotel.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Would be cool, but we have been getting trolled really hard here lately.  Don't expect a ton of excitement about this right now.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Isn't that called the Shamrock development?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

MadMartin8 wrote:Isn't that called the Shamrock development?
Either that or its the one on 370 in Sarpy County with the unicorns & Trump Tower
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Either that or its the one on 370 in Sarpy County with the unicorns & Trump Tower

Construction on that starts in 60-90 days, right?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

MadMartin8 wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:

Construction on that starts in 60-90 days, right?
Announcement in February, stay tuned
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wow I don't know where my head was.  Duh.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:but we have been getting trolled really hard here lately.
Who ever posted this rumor, has posted from the same IP Address 65 other times as a guest.  That same IP address is NOT registered to a regular member.

Post by Guest »

I can confirm this, however, its in such an early/preliminary stage of the process it is barely worth mentioning.
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120506/N ... hire-crowd

If you read that article it talks about how a project like this is the City's vision. I don't know how long it will take to get these projects going, however, it will be great once they happen. Assuming that the Shamrock development will happen, it will be great to see North Downtown connected with the rest of downtown. LOTS of potential for North Downtown to grow and expand, gets me REALLY excited.

Also I hope that the Joslyn district happens as well, downtown would be hoppin with all of these great projects!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:but we have been getting trolled really hard here lately.
Who ever posted this rumor, has posted from the same IP Address 65 other times as a guest.  That same IP address is NOT registered to a regular member.
Does he have the same IP as our Realtor or HWY 370 friends?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I can confirm this, however, its in such an early/preliminary stage of the process it is barely worth mentioning.
It's great to hear that an anonymous person can stand firmly behind the anonymous OP.  This confirms the OP isn't lying  :lol:

I know how this thread is going to end.  You are going to say, "see, we told you this would happen" when the Shamrock development breaks ground.

Post by Guest »

Some of us choose to post only as a guest, mainly because how some of you guys jump all over each other if you don't like a post.   Also, in the rumor section, some of the information provided is confidential, so you might not want people knowing that you are the one who let the cat out of the bag.  As you can tell, at least one of the moderators has too much time on his hand, trying to figure out who you are.

Post by Guest »

No, you post as guest because you probably don't know what in the heck you are talking about. Its not like the forum asks you for your home address, first and last name, SS number, or blood type.
s33.

Post by s33. »

That was me, forgot to log in. And didn't want anyone to make fun of me.

Post by Guest »

basically this is already happening. North of TDAP there is a new brewery/resturaunt going in. There are hotels already there.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Anonymous wrote:No, you post as guest because you probably don't know what in the heck you are talking about. Its not like the forum asks you for your home address, first and last name, SS number, or blood type.
Exactly! Even being a registered user, no one would know who let the cat out of the bag. You would at least have more credibility (as long as what you say turns out to be true). Quit playing games. They're not really funny.

Post by Guest »

If the forum doesn't ask for your first and last name, home address, blood type, sexual preference, race, if you use bicycles as your main mode of transportation, if you recycle, where you work,your race, if you live east of 72nd or west of 72nd, how many kids you have, where you went to school, etc, etc, etc...how does that make the credibility of a registered user any better.   That just doesn't make any sense.  All I know is I hope that this project doesn't involve building a big parking lot or we'll have to hear a lot of you whine and cry how we don't need another parking lot and that we need more "towers" instead.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Anonymous wrote:If the forum doesn't ask for your first and last name, home address, blood type, sexual preference, race, if you use bicycles as your main mode of transportation, if you recycle, where you work,your race, if you live east of 72nd or west of 72nd, how many kids you have, where you went to school, etc, etc, etc...how does that make the credibility of a registered user any better.   That just doesn't make any sense.  All I know is I hope that this project doesn't involve building a big parking lot or we'll have to hear a lot of you whine and cry how we don't need another parking lot and that we need more "towers" instead.
:roll:  

Last edited by iamjacobm on Wed May 16, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Anonymous wrote:If the forum doesn't ask for your first and last name, home address, blood type, sexual preference, race, if you use bicycles as your main mode of transportation, if you recycle, where you work,your race, if you live east of 72nd or west of 72nd, how many kids you have, where you went to school, etc, etc, etc...how does that make the credibility of a registered user any better.   That just doesn't make any sense.  All I know is I hope that this project doesn't involve building a big parking lot or we'll have to hear a lot of you whine and cry how we don't need another parking lot and that we need more "towers" instead.
It makes it better because then we at least know the screen name of the person making all these claims, which will either give credibility to this person or make them lose it altogether.

Post by Guest »

You have a point there, but there are a lot of unregistered guests on here that use a user name over and over.   Can't you make your conclusion based on a user name as well?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Anonymous wrote:You have a point there, but there are a lot of unregistered guests on here that use a user name over and over.   Can't you make your conclusion based on a user name as well?
Yes, but not when they post as "Guest" like this person has been doing.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

You listed "race' twice.

Post by Guest »

Like I said, my friend said that this is in the very early planning stages.   Land hasn't even been purchased yet, but my friend in the commercial real estate business said a developer is doing a feasibility study on the area and has been contacting national retailers as well as those in the hotel business to see if there is any interest.  I guess time will tell.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

What it comes down to is trust.  If someone comes in as a guest or with a new name and the first post they make is about some magical development it just doesn't smell right, to me anyway.  Trust comes, again to me, when someone who is new comes in and makes a name, makes some posts, creates at least a semblance of trust, THEN maybe they have a rumor.

It just doesn't look credible when there is a post about a large development as the first thing out of the gate.  As we learned with OmahaRealtor68, someone posts in rapid succession about the end all, be all, of developments, then disappears for a few months, then comes back to say the wheels fell off and it will happen somewhere else, then a few months later, blah, blah, blah...   It didn't make sense from the start and it didn't make sense at the end.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

..... and without registering anyone posting as a guest can use the same name and there is no assurance that it is the same person.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I can confirm this, however, its in such an early/preliminary stage of the process it is barely worth mentioning.
It's great to hear that an anonymous person can stand firmly behind the anonymous OP.  This confirms the OP isn't lying  :lol:

I know how this thread is going to end.  You are going to say, "see, we told you this would happen" when the Shamrock development breaks ground.
I am the one that posted this.  I am also a very regular poster on this forum and have been for several years.  Brad can check the IPs and stuff if he wants to.  

But here is my point, developers do feasibility studies all the time, more often than not it doesn't amount to much.  I just wanted to confirm that yes, something is being discussed, but it really isn't even worth talking about because it is so early on in the process.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I am the one that posted this.  I am also a very regular poster on this forum and have been for several years.  Brad can check the IPs and stuff if he wants to.  

But here is my point, developers do feasibility studies all the time, more often than not it doesn't amount to much.  I just wanted to confirm that yes, something is being discussed, but it really isn't even worth talking about because it is so early on in the process.
In addition to that, Brad can also link my posts to several other rumors initiated by a guest, that have been since confirmed.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So this study isn't Shamrock then?  That is really all I am curious about now if it really is this early in the process.  Since I assume Shamrock is further along than a study.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Well, if this is true that's beyond awesome. I'm always skeptical, but I'd be interested to know the size/scale of this development and where exactly in North Downtown would it be?

I suppose I won't get my hopes up (it'd be foolish, obviously), but I'm open to pleasant surprises.

Post by Guest »

iamjacobm wrote:So this study isn't Shamrock then?  That is really all I am curious about now if it really is this early in the process.  Since I assume Shamrock is further along than a study.
Correct, its in North downtown.
Dr. Tobias Funke

Post by Dr. Tobias Funke »

Also, I am going to officially brand myself as the attached guest name to help get rid of confusion.  So in these rumors from here on out I will have: some glitter, my photo resume, some candy, and a note!
OmahaRealtor68

Post by OmahaRealtor68 »

Hey...hey guys look at me!

Big project I have mentioned is back on....(phone rings)

Nevermind my realtor buddies just told me its a no go....(you have mail)

Scratch that, its back on....(text buzz)

Well I am not really sure anymore, just wait til February there will be an announcement be then....right?
OMArealtor68

Post by OMArealtor68 »

If you're going to try to pose as me, at least get my name right.   I know you all think I'm all a quack because the large project I once revealed never happened.  As hard as it may be hard to believe, that project was not a "figment" of my imagination.   It just didn't get off the ground, just like lots of other big projects that you may have or may not have heard of for the Omaha area.   Yes, there truly was a couple really large corporations interested in relocating to Omaha and bringing thousands of jobs to the metro, but from what I heard, after several disputes between the corporations and the developers and some problems with land acquisition, the who project was scrapped.  As for people saying they are seeing signs in fields that this project is coming soon, I don't know anything about that and I'm guessing that was someone posing as me too.

Anyway, I don't know why so many of you are having such a hard time believing that this project may be in the planning stages for North Downtown.   Why is it so hard to believe that someone would want to build apartments and condos down there.   With Creighton University, the ballpark, the convention center, the riverfront, and more and more employers and entertainment options coming in the area, why wouldn't this be a good place to build?   Why not build a hotel?   The need for rooms are growing in the area.   As for retail, think about how many new condos and apartments are being added in downtown.   Sooner or later national retailers are going to take notice.  How about a grocery store, a drug store, a sub shop, hair salon, a couple of clothing stores, office supply store, pet supply store, or other specialty stores?
sincitybaby
New to the Neighborhood

Post by sincitybaby »

Thought this was appropriate!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

OMArealtor68 wrote:If you're going to try to pose as me, at least get my name right.   I know you all think I'm all a quack because the large project I once revealed never happened.  As hard as it may be hard to believe, that project was not a "figment" of my imagination.   It just didn't get off the ground, just like lots of other big projects that you may have or may not have heard of for the Omaha area.   Yes, there truly was a couple really large corporations interested in relocating to Omaha and bringing thousands of jobs to the metro, but from what I heard, after several disputes between the corporations and the developers and some problems with land acquisition, the who project was scrapped.  As for people saying they are seeing signs in fields that this project is coming soon, I don't know anything about that and I'm guessing that was someone posing as me too.

Anyway, I don't know why so many of you are having such a hard time believing that this project may be in the planning stages for North Downtown.   Why is it so hard to believe that someone would want to build apartments and condos down there.   With Creighton University, the ballpark, the convention center, the riverfront, and more and more employers and entertainment options coming in the area, why wouldn't this be a good place to build?   Why not build a hotel?   The need for rooms are growing in the area.   As for retail, think about how many new condos and apartments are being added in downtown.   Sooner or later national retailers are going to take notice.  How about a grocery store, a drug store, a sub shop, hair salon, a couple of clothing stores, office supply store, pet supply store, or other specialty stores?
Ok, so now that the whole project has been scrapped, let loose with the details.  Name the corporations, the retailers, the location.  Can't be any reason not to do so, right?  Name the developer.  Let loose.  You knew a bunch of details.  Spill it.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I'm going to wait until I read about this in the newspaper or see excavators moving.  I have better things to do with my free time than read this.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

If the second guest is who I think he is, then whats the harm in hoping? Come on, optimism people, the recession is over and just in the last year look at all of the projects that have started. North Downtown is ripe, so why not?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

In addition to that, Brad can also link my posts to several other rumors initiated by a guest, that have been since confirmed.
Well I hope you are either Cdub or that he could chime in.  The thing that makes this just seem a little bit questionable is 4 block area.  Here's to hoping though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

^^ Yeah the only 4 blocks that seemed reasonable to me was The Yard and the block directly west of that.

Obviously if this is anything wouldn't be for a few years.  Maybe this could start as Shamrock finishes.

I'm with you Linkin heres to hoping is the right mentality right now.