Pioneer Village moving to Omaha

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Pioneer Village moving to Omaha

Post by Guest »

I was visiting my family near Hastings over Memorial Day weekend and heard there is a rumor going around that Pioneer Village by Minden is going to be relocated to Omaha.   There is several versions of the rumor going around.   One, is that the owner is looking to move the collection to Omaha in an effort to get better visibility and increased visitor numbers.   Another version of the rumor is that the owner is sellingl the collection to a group of Omaha investors who would like to build a huge museum complex to house the entire collection and turn this into a major tourist destination.  I don't know how much truth there is to this rumor, but I can see where a location in Omaha could bring in a heck of a lot more visitors than at it's current location.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

They going to locate near European Village?

Just kidding obviously.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I think they should flood the Interstate with billboards like the old days.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Ed

Post by Ed »

I've often thought about checking out Pioneer Village when driving across Nebraska, but never got off the interstate to check it out.   Is it worth a visit?   Some of their signs along the interstate look pretty old and not well maintained.   I guess I have always got the impression that Pioneer Village is probably in the same shape.  I know my grandparents went there like 30 years ago, but haven't ever heard of anyone else who's ever gone.

Post by Guest »

jessep28 wrote:I think they should flood the Interstate with billboards like the old days.
Just like Wall Drug.  "Free Ice Water, 350 Miles, Wall Drug"
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It is worth a stop if you like looking at history, esp rural and small town history.  If is worth a repeat visit it will be totally up to you.  I think it is but not something I will do every year.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

The moderators should create a "i'll believe it when i see it" thread and move all this kind of |expletive| into it.  there's so much smoke being blown up our |expletive| these days, it feels like we should be charging someone for it.

i get that this is the rumors section but c'mon already, guest.
Go Cubs Go
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

thenewguy wrote:The moderators should create a "i'll believe it when i see it" thread and move all this kind of |expletive| into it.  there's so much smoke being blown up our |expletive| these days, it feels like we should be charging someone for it.

i get that this is the rumors section but c'mon already, guest.
Honestly, at least this one is vaguely believable in comparison to the typical "giant billion-dollar mixed-use whatever" jokes.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:It is worth a stop if you like looking at history, esp rural and small town history.  If is worth a repeat visit it will be totally up to you.  I think it is but not something I will do every year.
Their roach motel is top notch.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I went to Pioneer Village once when I was 12.  I loved it!  And it was my first ever visit to a buffet, at their small motel's restaurant.  Funny what we remember.

I returned about 15 years ago with some younger friends from out of state, doing a This is Nebraska Tour, which included Scouts Rest Ranch in North Platte.  I would definitely say that it should be on anyone's local bucket list if you like old cars and other motor vehicles.  It was well kept up.  And cheap entertainment.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

jessep28 wrote:
nebugeater wrote:It is worth a stop if you like looking at history, esp rural and small town history.  If is worth a repeat visit it will be totally up to you.  I think it is but not something I will do every year.
Their roach motel is top notch.

...Never stayed at "their" motel so can't comment on that.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Anonymous wrote:
jessep28 wrote:I think they should flood the Interstate with billboards like the old days.
Just like Wall Drug.  "Free Ice Water, 350 Miles, Wall Drug"
LOL, I swear there used to be signs for Wall Drug as far east as Ohio!

I remember a driving trip when I was very young, through South Dakota and eventually to Yellowstone. Yes, we stopped at Wall Drug. We were counting down the miles. LOL, I also remember a number of very touristy-trappy things in South Dakota as well. :)

I remember signs for Pioneer Village, but I don't think we started seeing those until we hit Minnesota or so.

I did eventually see Pioneer Village. Yes, it's well worth it if you're in the area.

I would be very surprised if they move it to Omaha. IIRC it's maybe 10 miles or so off of I-80 and not that difficult to get to.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Might be a good fit for the (park) empty plot of ground where the OWH used to be. They already have bronze covered-wagon statues near-by.

The sculptures are very nice, but truthfully, I'd like to see Omaha look more toward the future rather than add add more tributes to the pioneer days.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

First off it is never going to happen.

Second, maybe you are being sarcastic about the location.

Third, if not you have no Idea what PV is because it would come no where near fitting on that lot.

GetUrban wrote:Might be a good fit for the (park) empty plot of ground where the OWH used to be. They already have bronze covered-wagon statues near-by.

The sculptures are very nice, but truthfully, I'd like to see Omaha look more toward the future rather than add add more tributes to the pioneer days.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.pioneervillage.org/

The largest private collection of Americana anywhere.

The Pioneer Village complex comprises 28 buildings on 20 acres housing over 50,000 irreplaceable items of historical value, restored to operating order, arranged in groups and also in the chronological order of their development.

Many of the Building are historic and part of they are showcasing
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Ed wrote:I've often thought about checking out Pioneer Village when driving across Nebraska, but never got off the interstate to check it out.   Is it worth a visit?   Some of their signs along the interstate look pretty old and not well maintained.   I guess I have always got the impression that Pioneer Village is probably in the same shape.  I know my grandparents went there like 30 years ago, but haven't ever heard of anyone else who's ever gone.
Haven't been there in years, but it is interesting.  Sod House and other homestead artifacts.  Lots and lots of cars from the early 1900's through 1940's.  If you go, go at Christmas.  Minden goes nuts with Christmas lights.  Very cool to drive through.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Just happened to be driving through Minden this afternoon. Here are some "through the windshield" shots I snared just for this thread...

DSC_5927 by candleshoe, on Flickr

DSC_5930 by candleshoe, on Flickr

DSC_5931 by candleshoe, on Flickr

DSC_5935 by candleshoe, on Flickr
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Kinda reminds me of the old Wanek's Furniture building down in Crete, but more 1870s and less 1970s fabulous.