Jack in the Box

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mscott
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mscott »

WOW, I didn't know SmashBurger closed already.  Not surprised, way overpriced.  Can't wait for Qdoba and Starbucks!

I am from west coast, how come midwest has no Jack In The Box or Del Taco?  Totally missing out on these places.
mgsports
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgsports »

Jack in the Box has locations in KC  and St. Louis near by,Del Taco close would be Texas.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Are you implying they are comming to Metro Crossing?
mgsports wrote:Jack in the Box has locations in KC  and St. Louis near by,Del Taco close would be Texas.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
mgsports
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgsports »

No and you would have to ask them.
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

mscott wrote:WOW, I didn't know SmashBurger closed already.  Not surprised, way overpriced.  Can't wait for Qdoba and Starbucks!

I am from west coast, how come midwest has no Jack In The Box or Del Taco?  Totally missing out on these places.
Jack in the Box is just okay.  Went to one in San Diego and it made Mrs. Hawkeye violently ill.

Now, on the other hand, if one of THESE was rumored to be locating in the metro, that'd be something to get excited about!

Image[/img]
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Jack in the Box is awesome.  Last time I was there I ate an egg roll, taco, hamburger, and fries.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

What we really need is a White Castle.
mgsports
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgsports »

White Castle likes to go into area's where they already have locations.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:What we really need is a White Castle.
I agree, according to their website, Omaha was the site of their 3rd ever White Castle back in 1923.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

skinzfan23 wrote:
I agree, according to their website, Omaha was the site of their 3rd ever White Castle back in 1923.
I wonder where it was located?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Seth wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:
Shot of a 10th and Harney location.

http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/singleite ... /723/rec/2
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Nice find...I just went to look what is there on that intersection now.....2 parking lots.  I can't wait until all of those at least in the old market get developed.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:Nice find...I just went to look what is there on that intersection now.....2 parking lots.  I can't wait until all of those at least in the old market get developed.
Those parking lots are some PRIME real estate.  I am actually surprised nothing has ever really been tried on one of those parking lots, as far as I know at least.

Out of curiosity I checked DC assessor.  One lot is owned by a large hotel company that also runs the Embassy Suites downtown.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Hawkeye wrote:
Jack in the Box is just okay.  Went to one in San Diego and it made Mrs. Hawkeye violently ill.

Now, on the other hand, if one of THESE was rumored to be locating in the metro, that'd be something to get excited about!

Image[/img]

I lived in California for ten years and I never understood why people are so ga-ga over In-N-Out. It's just a burger. Tastes about the same as any other burger I've ever had. :shrug:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

WOWT Had a story tonight about Jack in the box coming to Omaha.  Said they were planning on expanding across the Midwest.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Jack In The Box May Open In Omaha

WOWT wrote:Jack in the Box plans to open a restaurant in Omaha. So far, no word on a date or where it would be.

It's all part of a plan to open more restaurants in the Midwest and Southeast.

Jack in the Box already has 2200 locations in 19 states.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

With no locations near where I grew up, this is all I have heard about Jack in the Box: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_E._co ... in_the_Box
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Seth wrote:With no locations near where I grew up, this is all I have heard about Jack in the Box: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_E._co ... in_the_Box
LOL! That's what comes to mind when I think of them too. Although, I believe I ate at a Jack in the Box maybe once when I was visiting some cousins in Texas 15 years ago.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

Did all the smashburgers close already?

I've been out of the country for the last few months.  It appears the one in Bellevue is now closed.  Doesn't surprise me, way overpriced.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Seth wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:
One was on 24th, just South of Dodge.   This was the first in Omaha I believe and the 3rd White Castle in their system.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

TLGJames wrote:Did all the smashburgers close already?

I've been out of the country for the last few months.  It appears the one in Bellevue is now closed.  Doesn't surprise me, way overpriced.
I think the one at 72nd and Farnam is still going strong.  Not sure if any others are still open.  And yes, they are horribly overpriced.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

nativeomahan wrote:

I think the one at 72nd and Farnam is still going strong.  Not sure if any others are still open.  And yes, they are horribly overpriced.
In my very not so humble opinion, the market is quite saturated with the so-called higher-end burger places. For a while they were oh-so-trendy, like wood-fired free-range cupcakes or {looking for a place to hide} "mixed use" developments, but there's a limit on how many of those can be consumed. :)

Ditto for the low-end burger places. In my again not so humble opinion, if there's any place that can make Mickey D or BK seem like Haute Cuisine by comparison, it's Jack In The Box!

And then there's White Castle. {sigh} I grew up with White Castle. It was, uh, there. LOL, I think it was best as an early-morning after-bar sober-up place! We called them "gut burgers" or "gut bombs", the term "slider" seems to have come about recently. Let me put it this way, if you enjoy those "sliders" that some bars serve or some restaurants have on their appetizer menus and think you'll get the same at White Castle, you will be very disappointed!

Oh well, so it goes ...
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

The one at 120th & L is still there too.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

nativeomahan wrote:

It's still open, but "going strong" I highly doubt. I've been there probably 6-8 times over the last 12 months for lunch & dinner and never seen more than 10 customers. That is no exaggeration and usually it's closer to zero than 10.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

A couple friends from church and I will sometimes go to the L Street store on Sunday's for lunch. The after church crowd seems to boom around 10 people on average there, including us.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

ThatGuy wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:

It's still open, but "going strong" I highly doubt. I've been there probably 6-8 times over the last 12 months for lunch & dinner and never seen more than 10 customers. That is no exaggeration and usually it's closer to zero than 10.
I just go by the fact that at lunch time the parking lot is completely jammed.  We have tried to get in Vietnam Asia restaurant and couldn't find a place to park without parking behind the building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

La Vista man has dined at every White Castle burger joint in U.S.
Sarah Baker Hansen WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:It started a two-year, 15-part, 10,000-mile road trip around the country so Gonzales could eat at every White Castle in the United States. That's 420, to be exact.

When he got home, he researched the closest White Castle to Omaha. It was in St. Louis. He rented a car and drove there. His journey snowballed after that.

White Castle doesn't have any plans to expand into Nebraska, said Erin Shannon, spokesperson for the chain. “But never say never,” she said.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

There are White Castles here and I have only one thing to say about that....if you have the urge for a white castle run, don't walk, to Don & Millies.  Outstanding burgers, fries, and cheese frenchees.  Period.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Don and Millies?  You're joking, right.  The only thing they have going for them is a liquor license.  Burgers and fries are McDonalds quality at best.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

HskrFanMike wrote:Don and Millies?  You're joking, right.  The only thing they have going for them is a liquor license.  Burgers and fries are McDonalds quality at best.
You serious clark?  I love their burgers.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:Don and Millies?  You're joking, right.  The only thing they have going for them is a liquor license.  Burgers and fries are McDonalds quality at best.
You serious clark?  I love their burgers.

I am in the same boat, I think the Double Don is probably the best fast food burger in town.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

For fast food, they really aren't that bad!
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I like their food & I also think Runza makes a good burger.  My favorite Runzas are the italian & the mexican.  Not on a daily basis but once in a while.  For what its worth the cheese runza is good too.  I also like Runza's fries.  The thing I like about Don & Millies & Runza is that IN MY EXPERIENCE both are consistant in quality.  

Now that I think of it, Runza is one of the few chains that didn't lose the quality with growth.  Godfathers Pizza was amazing when they were one restaurant on 99th & Q.  Valentino's when it was just on 33rd & Holdrege before expansion had phenomenal pizza. Both Godfathers & Vals really lost quality when they grew.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

They are not top of the line but to put them in the same group as McD is crazy.  Note even close, D&M uses real meat at least.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:
They are not top of the line but to put them in the same group as McD is crazy.  Note even close, D&M uses real meat at least.
And McDonalds doesn't? You would be surprised how strict fast food places are with their suppliers.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It wasn't until Jamie Oliver went on a crusade earlier this year that they stopped using 'pink slime'.

http://m.inhabitat.com/inhabitat/#!/ent ... 475f3035/1

[youtube][/youtube]
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Coyote wrote:It wasn't until Jamie Oliver went on a crusade earlier this year that they stopped using 'pink slime'.
There was some follow up to this video.   This is actually chicken slime, of which McD also used.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

bbinks wrote:
Coyote wrote:It wasn't until Jamie Oliver went on a crusade earlier this year that they stopped using 'pink slime'.
There was some follow up to this video.   This is actually chicken slime, of which McD also used.
Just google pink slime and see what it shows.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Coyote wrote:
bbinks wrote:
Just google pink slime and see what it shows.
You can Google pink slime chicken and get the video you posted.

Either way, it is nasty.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

What is nasty is that it wasn't just McDonald's who used Pink Slime, or what we feed our pets.