New Baker's Stores

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

debradomayer
Library Board

New Baker's Stores

Post by debradomayer »

Heard thru the grapevine that Kroger has purchased land to build 2 new stores. One in Sarpy out by Werner Park and the other by the Walmart in Irvington. These would be the first stores that Kroger has opened since they bought Bakers.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That means the 90th and Fort Store will close?
debradomayer
Library Board

New Baker's Stores

Post by debradomayer »

That's what I understand. Heard that from someone who works at that store
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There has been rumors of that store closing for a while.  However PDM sold that plaza a while back to a Cincinnati company a while back.  Isn't Kroger in Cincinnati?
debradomayer
Library Board

New Baker's Stores

Post by debradomayer »

Did some research on that a while back and I thought that it may be Kroger's real estate division, but not sure. I know that the stores that they closed were all owned by PDM(Jack Baker) and when the leases ended they closed the underperforming stores. Except Deerfield, I guess they still have time left on the lease
Brad
City Council

Re: New Baker's Stores

Post by Brad »

debradomayer wrote:Did some research on that a while back and I thought that it may be Kroger's real estate division, but not sure. I know that the stores that they closed were all owned by PDM(Jack Baker) and when the leases ended they closed the underperforming stores. Except Deerfield, I guess they still have time left on the lease
Deerfield has been closed for a while:
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7629
debradomayer
Library Board

New Baker's Stores

Post by debradomayer »

Yeah, Deerfield closed Oct of last year. Used to do sales calls in that store
Brad
City Council

Re: New Baker's Stores

Post by Brad »

debradomayer wrote:Yeah, Deerfield closed Oct of last year. Used to do sales calls in that store
I was at the Millard Airport the other day waiting on the Helicopter to get there when some guy in his own plane flew in for a meeting at the Deerfield store.

I heard some good storied back in the day about PDM...  Apparently they made a lot of money on Baker's after the sale to Flemming.
debradomayer
Library Board

New Baker's Stores

Post by debradomayer »

Back in the day, rumor was that Jack wanted to build more stores and he couldn't afford it all so he sold to Fleming and we all know how that turned out, but he did build Pepperwood and Lakeside. Then Fleming went bankrupt and Kroger stepped in. I have a theory that the reason Walmart is building Neighborhood Markets is to put it to Kroger. Kroger sells(nationally) more groceries that Walmart. Not counting Supercenters, there are over 50 grocery stores in this town and I call on all of them. It's going to get interesting here in the next 6 months to a year. I predict there will be stores consolidating and closing while others will be building.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I think what screwed Flemming over was KMart's bankruptcy in 2002. Flemming was Kmart's grocery supplier. After Flemming lost that major customer it was all downhill from there I guess.

I have no doubt that Wal-Mart's neighborhood markets are causing activity by the traditional grocery retailers. I remember reading in an article that Nasch Finch buying Bag N' Save & NoFrills was in part to better position themselves against Wal-Mart.

On possible store closings, Kroger/Dillons have eventually closed all the older, smaller Baker's stores, so it would only make sense to put the Fort St. site on a death watch.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Well there isn't much left in that strip mall if bakes leaves. Interesting that they would want to be right across the street from Walmart