New Hi-Rise!!

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

Ol' Hawkeye always liked this one because it was the tallest proposal, and because it reminds me JUST A LITTLE BIT of one of my favorite buldings on the planet.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That is a beautiful building. I was thinking the same thing; how it resembeled that building in Minneapolis. Not much to the interior, but the exterior is gorgious.

Is it just me, or does the gold building to the left of it in the picture have a little bit of FNB Tower in it?
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

Yep. Ol' Hawkeye has always thought The Wells Fargo tower (formerly Norwest Tower) in DT Mlps and the FNB Tower in Omaha share a few characteristics and similarities.

FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

I think the same architect did both projects.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

No, the Wells Fargo Center was designed by Cesar Pelli. One First National was a product of Leo Daly's firm.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

A week or so ago, I was searching the net for info on proposed hotels in Omaha, and one of the search results was about John Q. Hammonds and a proposed Residence Inn for this site in the Old Market. It was dated May 2001. Assuming JQH Hospitality was not the only partner in this project, is it possible the impending announcement of a tower on the UP site, mans that this project may not happen, as the condo developer has found a better deal with the UP site? Heard anything, Finn?
FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

Thanks DMRyan, my mistake.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Assuming JQH Hospitality was not the only partner in this project, is it possible the impending announcement of a tower on the UP site, mans that this project may not happen, as the condo developer has found a better deal with the UP site? Heard anything, Finn?
This is not the same developer. However, things are moving slowly and I can't help but wonder how a new project of the UP site size will effect this proposal. This is a very large national developer but this proposal is moving slowly because of the amount of their other multi-family projects around the country (including Denver) that have better ratios. On the other hand, maybe this will show the strength of the Omaha market. I still believe the "activity" of the Riverfront Place project will help bring more interest and proposals (many developers are still trying to gauge the market/target markets since so many units were gobbled up by investors - it will be important to see how quickly RFP absorbs Phase II).

I also can't help but wonder about the office component of the UP site. It seems far-fetched that a tenant would pay to go into a new building when there is so much incentive-laden space on the market. And I doubt any developer would build spec in this high-vacancy market (and the large-users already have their own space). I had heard a while back that another hotel was trying to get into the Omaha market - that would make more sense than an office use, especially with the performance strength of the Qwest. However, maybe this is linked to some other rumors.??.

That is all that I can say at this point, this project is still lingering. With the prime location, I am sure it is being actively shopped.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I hope this project comes through. I know Omaha is a secondary market, but given the right development push for jobs and people, Omaha could become like one of the boom cities of the 90's like pre-boom Nashville, Austin, or Charlotte. having projects like this come on line will help.
DTO
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Thanks for the update, Finn! I mentioned the same thing in the UP Condo rumur thread about office space. A hotel on the lower flors might make more sense. I have heard in the hotel circles that there are definitely other chains interested in entering the downtown Omaha market.

I know John Q. Hammonds would like to build that Residence Inn. Here's to hoping something comes to fruition eventually.
Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

How big are the Residence Inn's I don't recall ever seeing one before.
Go west young man.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

They come in all shapes and sizes. The one near 72nd and Dodge are a cluster of two story buildings. I saw a proposal for a downtown Baltimore Residence Inn that was part of a condo/apartment project, and it was a tall building.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

None of John Q. Hammonds hotels are very tall, they all seem to be around the 8 story range or lower it seems.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

That is true, but the proposal Finn originally presented was a Residence Inn with condos on top. That is where the height comes in. Much like the proposed Residence Inn/condo project I saw on a website for Baltimore. The lower floors was the Inn, and all the upper florrs were condos.
Whale Shark
Home Owners Association

Post by Whale Shark »

This is becoming a popular trend---hotel companies building a hotel/condo mixed used structure. Residence Inn is putting on up in Highlands Ranch, CO, and there is talk of another hotel doing the same in downtown Denver, possilby 20-30 stories.
FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

Finn - any news or developments on the proposal? I am sure you will inform us when something big comes to fruition, but I am impatient and curious. Sorry for being nosey.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I will make a call and see if there is anything new.
FatGuy
Home Owners Association

Post by FatGuy »

Thanks for checking.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Finn wrote:I will make a call
Ya know, there should be a list of the coolest things to be able to say. One of the best I've heard was in DC from our head legal, "..Yeah, I just need to call the White House real quick first."
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

My call won't be that impressive!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Is it still around 25 stories?
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Which highrise are we talking about now?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Yeah I'm getting confused too
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Go back to the first post in the thread.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

grassyass :D
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yeah, or with the same amount of effort you could have just told us what it is, Jeff.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Yeah the hope is, the next time a similar situation arises, you'll think to check that first post from the start. :P
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Glad I haven’t been holding my breath. What do you think will rise 1st the bridge or one of these “soon to be announced” hi-rises?
15-17, 26, 32
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Even though they supposedly are closing in on the bridge money, have to admit I'm wondering if they'll ever get it built. That is to say considering the budget the city has to work with at this point, it just doesn't seem like much of a priority to anybody anymore. So my bet is some sort of highrise if anything.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yeah, I'd bet one of/all of the potential highrises being built before the bridge, which is funny because the bridge would be nearing completion had it been started on time.
Blazepaw
Home Owners Association

Post by Blazepaw »

Amen Streets, money is tight yet if any other city is poised for an finical upswing we are it. Cross all you got.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So how many 1st National Center’s will there be?
I just noticed the technical name for the 1st National Center is One 1st National Center, hmmmmmm…. Two Three Four…
15-17, 26, 32
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

^ Good question! From what I heard on my tour last week, FNB already has the plans drawn up for the next tower... not sure how high it will be though?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

HUH?! Any whisper on its local? Dam I’m a genius.
15-17, 26, 32
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

pkiphd wrote:HUH?! Any whisper on its local? Dam I’m a genius.
WHO realized it was One First National center PKI? ;)
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

DTO Luv wrote:
Okay okay Lou did. I didn’t want to rat anybody out.
15-17, 26, 32
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I must be slow today, being off work and all. I went back and read the thread. What is the shift in the thread to First National? Did I miss an announcement?? Dang!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

pkiphd wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:
Okay okay Lou did. I didn’t want to rat anybody out.
Still wrong. I told him. :)
DTO
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Another first national tower, thats wild! They shold call it something like Omaha Center or use the adress to name the building, because I think they're out of names for towers, i.e. One First National Center, First National Center, ect.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Sorry Tom I was the one who hi-jacket the thread. Oh and BTW InPlay has the best food around!
15-17, 26, 32