New Hi-Rise!!

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

25 stories is not too tall. Maybe if it was on 12th and Howard, then 25 stories would be too tall, but only if it differed greatly in style from the rest of the OM.

I'd rather have someone set this bar high and let newer buildings fill in the gap in height between the two (in the OM style, of course).

What is happening to that lot just south of this one? God bless the artists' coop gallery, but that is one ugly bilding on a poorly utilized lot. It would be cool to see another 25 story building on this lot (even though it violates the parameters of the OM building design codes) and then connect the two buildings with an arch like skywalk across Harney on the top floor.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If you still haven't figured out where this is I took these the other night.

This one is from the Arch in the mall facing southwest.

This is from Spaghetti Works facing north.

DTO
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

OM and former UPHQ

Post by Hawkeye »

Wow, if they could get this 25-story condo/hotel over near the OM, and then raze the old UPHQ (though to be honest, Ol' Hawkeye would prefer they find an economical way to preserve the original portion of the building) and put up a new hotel tower of some significance (at LEAST 20 stories), Omaha would have one pretty darn nice skyline, especially for a city its size.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I drove through DT KC last week and it really reminded me how small Omaha really is. As I came home to Omaha I noticed that our skyline is very thin and to me does not look like a stereotypical skyline. Just two tall buildings and then nothing…. We really need these hi-rises! Even DT Des Moines is more uniformed.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

pkiphd wrote: Even DT Des Moines is more uniformed.
BLASPHEMY!! :wink:

We may not the tons of tall tall buildings but what we do have is great. I to hope we see a hi-rise here. I think we will because Finn seems reliable. But even though KC has more buildings it DT sucks. Really sucks. When I was in DTO one time with one of my moms friends from KC he kept going on and on about much better DTO was than KC. A few months later he moved here. :) So look at it that way.
DTO
nebrwesleyan
Home Owners Association

Post by nebrwesleyan »

here is the type of building we need its the silver and round one on the left. Something different. I know the Bat building is nice, but I like the other one. THis is in nashville.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=123015
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

Actually, for the hotel/condo tower in the OM, Ol' Hawkeye would love to see something similar to this new condo recently completed in my current home metro of Minneapolis/St.Paul.

jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

Looks like a taller version of the Blackstone building in Omaha. Nice!
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

As for something to go over where the Swanson plant is currently, or perhaps in place of the former UPHQ, I've always liked the 8500 Normandale Tower which is just down the street a few miles from my house. It's not spectacular, but then we've sort of come to expect Omaha to build the unspectacular most of the time. But it would give Omaha a building with something other than a basically flat cap, which the city's skyline has desperately needed forever.

(the one on the far left)
zedmib
Home Owners Association

Post by zedmib »

Be Bold Omaha :!:
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=112827

Wouldn't this look good at the Swanson site!
To Growth! When do we get a Supertall! :mrgreen:
Zed
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Proving I have nothing better to do, I looked up differant hotel and condo buildings the other night and found the avearage hotel floor height and condo floor height. The hotel average was 12.5' and the condo average was 13.8'. So if there are 5 floors of hotel that's a height of 62.5' and 20 stories of condos at 276', that gives us a total of 338'. Making it Omaha 3rd tallest. This is one of the same height and a good design in Minneapolis.

DTO
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'd like to see something like this DLR Group design from Riverfront Place used somewhere... perhaps in place of the Butternut building.

omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

i agree, i really like the design that they submitted
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

Yea, I have always thought that too. I think if they can do the same thing and add some height (since I am a proud member of the height obsessed club) it would look great about anywhere in the old market area. It has a nice blend of old and new styles.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

... I also liked this one too

It would look great on the council bluffs side of the river. I forgot about that site actually. I wonder if anyone is eyeing that site. Think about the skyline boost after RFP is completed, a new building in the UPHQ, a new building at the pinnacle site, and the butternut site. That would be one heck of a growth spurt for the skyline.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

When those riverfront condo proposals originally cam out I liked the above one best. But RP grew on me and is the better of the two.
DTO
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Wile where dreaming why not barrow the plans for the 7 South Dearborn in Chi-town and build that complex.
:mrgreen:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Or a replica of the WTC.
DTO
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

I think the Renaissance towers blow any of those out of the water. Hopefully they'll resurface again if the PB gets built. Man, those were disarming.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I think CB should be a lot more concerned about the bridge than what they have been. Tom Hanafan (CB Mayor) was a bit wary about the bridge cost. CB would lose out on a huge opportunity if the bridge weren't built. They would never get condos on the site because it would be to isolated from everything else.
DTO
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I do like both styles in the above post. I would be very satisfied with either of those buildings.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

When are we going to hear more on this?
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Finn, have you talked with your source lately? Have you heard anything more?
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Hawkeye wrote:Actually, for the hotel/condo tower in the OM, Ol' Hawkeye would love to see something similar to this new condo recently completed in my current home metro of Minneapolis/St.Paul.

I saw that tower when I was in Minneapolis about a month ago and agree that Omaha should really develop one of these. It was gorgious.
movedaway
New to the Neighborhood

Post by movedaway »

Not to play guessing games with Finn, but Leo A Daly has an office in D.C.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

No connection.
nebrwesleyan
Home Owners Association

Post by nebrwesleyan »

Here is link a I found. Look at the current and proposed and you can see new buldings on the site that finn was talking about, although not 25 stories...I wonder if this was just a goal of theirs or what? We shall see.

http://www.livelyomaha.org/whatsnew/11t ... ision.html
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

I'm guessing that Finn works for a branch of the federal government, although I certainly understand if he doesn't want to tell us. (He would have to kill us then). :)
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

I think Finn knows there's a lot of youthful exuberance on this site. We just hope it isn't scaled back any! :wink:
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Hopefully it wouldn't get scaled back, I've never known that feeling before...
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I am from Omaha and I work in real estate. I have always kept an eye on what was happening in Omaha when I moved away (this site has made that much easier). I still go back home several times a year and know some people in the industry, locally and nationally. Most of my work is on the east coast but I also had a few jobs working with a lender in downtown Des Moines last year. The source on this project is very reliable. Sorry, nothing new to report as they are still conducting due diligence.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

ugh, im getting so impatient! When are we finally gonna see that light at the end of the tunnel finn?
Hawkeye
Home Owners Association

Post by Hawkeye »

Okay, so any update no this project? Ol' Hawkeye thought we were supposed to have heard something by now, yea or nay.

Finn, any news to report. Even if everything is moving along at a snail's pace, at least it would be nice to know things are moving along. Slow movement is better than no movement.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

-Finn
With all the talk of the possible new tower at the up site, I was gonna see if you had any new information/heard anything new about this? I forgot about it untill the story of a KC developer looking at sites in DT. Any update?
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

yeah I was wondering about this also, this thread was started in March and still no word, hoping nothing has fallen through the cracks on this one. I noticed a real estate sign on the great wall building, was that part of the space in question or is that separate?
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

The sign on the Great Wall building has been there a looooooong time.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

i guess i never have noticed, i try to keep my eyes away from that whole block, such an eyesore and waste of land
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Somebody should take one of our pictures of the skyline and do a "rendering" of the skyline showing all the new possibilities, including new 20 to 30 story towers at the Butternut site, the Old Market site, the Swanson site, and now the UP site.

It would just be fun to see what all of that might look like.

Just think, if all of these happen over the next few years, Omaha's going to have a "crane" skyline again. It will be awesome!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I liked both of the proposals posted above that didn't make the cut for Riverfront Place. Maybe we could get the developers behind those to build them in North Downtown. I think they would both look good on blocks over there.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Somebody should take one of our pictures of the skyline and do a "rendering" of the skyline showing all the new possibilities, including new 20 to 30 story towers at the Butternut site, the Old Market site, the Swanson site, and now the UP site.
To who ever tries it, squeak in the RFP and 1RC to, oh and the bridge…
:P :shock: :P :shock: :P :shock: :P :shock: :P :shock: :P :shock: :P :shock: :P :shock: 8)
15-17, 26, 32